AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Adams Arms Lay-off Staff (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 3:37:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mobiushky] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AR18:

Most likely not. The drive spring and bushing is needed to push the drive rod back into the gas block under spring power. But it does prose a good question if the what happens to the spring if it goes dead one day in the future.
View Quote

I wouldn't count it out if the spring broke.  Remember that the bolt carrier will push the drive rod back over the gas block regardless of the spring. The difference is that it won't snap back until the bolt carrier travels back into battery.  Might be more harsh on the drive rod, but it should actually continue to work.  Also, it will be loose when the bolt isn't in battery, so if you lock the bolt open, it will rattle like crazy and slide back and forth.

I have 3 AA pistons and one Superlative.  The spring broke on the superlative and I've been running it in competitions for about a year with no spring.  It still functions fine, but it is noisy when the bolt is open.  Superlative does say that the spring isn't needed for their system.  SO that might be different.  But I'd bet money the AA system will still function without the spring.

ETA: I did place an order for some back-up parts before they ran out.  Tracking says they will be here on Monday the 12th.

Side question, any one have a 10" AARS forend they would part with?  I'm trying to build a 10.5" 300BLK and the forend I have doesn't fit the AA piston.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 3:35:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: inmyshadow] [#2]
Received two kits yesterday.  Never received tracking.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By mobiushky:

I wouldn't count it out if the spring broke.  Remember that the bolt carrier will push the drive rod back over the gas block regardless of the spring. The difference is that it won't snap back until the bolt carrier travels back into battery.  Might be more harsh on the drive rod, but it should actually continue to work.  Also, it will be loose when the bolt isn't in battery, so if you lock the bolt open, it will rattle like crazy and slide back and forth.

I have 3 AA pistons and one Superlative.  The spring broke on the superlative and I've been running it in competitions for about a year with no spring.  It still functions fine, but it is noisy when the bolt is open.  Superlative does say that the spring isn't needed for their system.  SO that might be different.  But I'd bet money the AA system will still function without the spring.

ETA: I did place an order for some back-up parts before they ran out.  Tracking says they will be here on Monday the 12th.

Side question, any one have a 10" AARS forend they would part with?  I'm trying to build a 10.5" 300BLK and the forend I have doesn't fit the AA piston.
View Quote

I have it from Superlative that their op rod spring is just a mag catch spring so you can always get a replacement.....
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 8:34:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Exactly … Osprey system ran with out a return spring … it makes some noise, so what, it works that’s what meters !
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 4:25:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scrapple] [#5]
I just learned about the short frame piston AR 10 that they make, and also that they are going out of business. Lame!
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Scrapple:
I just learned about the short frame piston AR 10 that they make, and also that they are going out of business. Lame!
View Quote

I had one. It was awful.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 7:17:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Nobody's asked the most important question:

Now where can I get one of those shirts telling the Russian warship to go fuck itself in Ukrainian?
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By johnQpublik:

I have it from Superlative that their op rod spring is just a mag catch spring so you can always get a replacement.....
View Quote

Well that's interesting.  I didn't know that.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 6:36:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmm, if nobody picks up the IP rights I guess when it starts acting up it'll be converted back to a DI gun.  To be honest I built it to help with the gas to the face issue but almost never shoot it so who knows how long it'll last.  Still wish I could have grabbed some spare parts though.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 1:43:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Are there any piston conversion kits still on the market from any manufacturer these days?

Hop's Adams Arms piston tribute:

Magpul's Weird Gun Collection
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 7:01:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#11]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Are there any piston conversion kits still on the market from any manufacturer these days?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzNMctcoRVI
View Quote

Probably minimal, mostly because they aren’t worth it. If you want a piston then get a stock piston gun. The conversions were often not reliable and did not achieve the desired results. They were problematic in a few areas. Other than suppressed shooting, you are going to see minimal improvements.
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Kwisak:

Probably minimal, mostly because they aren’t worth it. If you want a piston then get a stock piston gun. The conversions were often not reliable and did not achieve the desired results. They were problematic in a few areas. Other than suppressed shooting, you are going to see minimal improvements.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kwisak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzNMctcoRVI

Superlative Arms, pistol gas through rifle:

https://suparms.com/PISTON-KITS--RIGHT-HAND_c_15.html
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Just picked up one of the last P2 midlength uppers Midway has in stock.

I prefer the old logo so I'll likely strip the upper down and move it to my 2016 upper. Lol

My 2016 upper is Cerro made and lower is Aero made. (AA branded)

Not worried about parts as company I work for can make the parts if needed and quench them. Lol
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 4:15:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I have several and can attest they run fine without the spring as does the superlative arms.

My kids rifle is on its second barrel with a spring replacement at barrel swap. Mid length with over 10k on the bolt carrier rod and gas block. She shoots competitively, she won an AA upper years ago and been banging on it ever since. Knowing her she probably never cleans it unless something goes wrong.The op rod and strike face on the carrier are showing age according to her but still going strong. She does some kind of cross fit shooting deal and beats the hell out of it.

Unfortunately their creditors pulled the plug interest rates are high and times are pretty tough. Hard to make sales when working men and women are hit with record high inflation.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 6:37:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ihon] [#15]
Originally Posted By jetdriver:
Unfortunately their creditors pulled the plug interest rates are high and times are pretty tough. Hard to make sales when working men and women are hit with record high inflation.
View Quote

Adams Arms stopped innovating years ago.  Their line got stagnate and most moved past piston kits.  Other than a piston kit, they never really offered much.  I'm surprised they lasted this long.

I got into them back in 2012 after the Sandy Hook shooting.  AR parts dried up and bolt carriers were hard to find.  You could actually get complete Adams Arms kits for less than they were asking Gucci bolt carrier groups.  There wasn't a big difference in cost, so I scratched my piston curiosity itch.  So while I like Adams Arms, there wasn't anything else except the piston kits to shop for.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 11:24:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Screwball] [#16]
While they didn’t innovate, they were a good company that took care of their customers.

I use a 11.5” AA upper on my truck SBR. When I first got it, the piston rod bent.

It was a bad heat treat on the rod. They paid shipping and I got the upper back before I got the AK-P squared away as a temporary truck gun.

I also had a AA barrel on a Spikes build. Think it was circa 2009. I had the pinned muzzle brake removed, go to put the new one on… and the barrel rotated in the extension. Reached out to Spikes with their lifetime guarantee. Where is the jerk off emoji? Contacted me, then dropped off with no response (posted in their forum months after fixed, the guy said he got COVID and thought it was resolved).

I contacted AA since it was their barrel. Guy I talked to said that he knew they made those barrels (SS 1:8”) years before he started with the company. He said they can take a look… worst case, I’d have to buy a replacement barrel and they would swap it. Being it would had to be done, said the hell with it. Figured I’d get a call the next week after it was looked at… received the upper that week. It wasn’t a SS 1:8”, but it was a barrel that was solid and it shot just as well. Them covering a 12+ year old barrel was something I felt as pretty stand up.

But unfortunately, economy isn’t doing that well… more so for the saturated AR market. Stinks when any gun company closes up.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 8:10:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Screwball:
While they didn’t innovate, they were a good company that took care of their customers.

I use a 11.5” AA upper on my truck SBR. When I first got it, the piston rod bent.

https://i.imgur.com/HekXGRL.mp4

It was a bad heat treat on the rod. They paid shipping and I got the upper back before I got the AK-P squared away as a temporary truck gun.

I also had a AA barrel on a Spikes build. Think it was circa 2009. I had the pinned muzzle brake removed, go to put the new one on… and the barrel rotated in the extension. Reached out to Spikes with their lifetime guarantee. Where is the jerk off emoji? Contacted me, then dropped off with no response (posted in their forum months after fixed, the guy said he got COVID and thought it was resolved).

I contacted AA since it was their barrel. Guy I talked to said that he knew they made those barrels (SS 1:8”) years before he started with the company. He said they can take a look… worst case, I’d have to buy a replacement barrel and they would swap it. Being it would had to be done, said the hell with it. Figured I’d get a call the next week after it was looked at… received the upper that week. It wasn’t a SS 1:8”, but it was a barrel that was solid and it shot just as well. Them covering a 12+ year old barrel was something I felt as pretty stand up.

But unfortunately, economy isn’t doing that well… more so for the saturated AR market. Stinks when any gun company closes up.
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/HekXGRL.mp4

Stinks when any gun company closes up.

100% concur.

Link Posted: 9/7/2024 2:22:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Randainc] [#18]
UPDATE:
Well Adams Arms has officially ceased operations and is no longer an FFL effective September 30th, 2024. All the old inventory and CNC machines have been sold as well as the Intellectual Property (Piston kit patent) has been sold to another company so we should see that or a variation of it pop up somewhere at sometime.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Is this lower now collectible?  

Adams Arms serial number 4

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 3:54:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Randainc:
UPDATE:
Well Adams Arms has officially ceased operations and is no longer an FFL effective September 30th, 2024. All the old inventory and CNC machines have been sold as well as the Intellectual Property (Piston kit patent) has been sold to another company so we should see that or a variation of it pop up somewhere at sometime.
View Quote

Sucks for the people that were put out of work.

hopefully whoever bought it has low enough overhead and economies of scale to make it work on a limited basis so parts, etc. are available.  It sucks for people to have orphaned unsupported guns (looking at you Sig).
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 3:34:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By soncorn:

hopefully whoever bought it has low enough overhead and economies of scale to make it work on a limited basis so parts, etc. are available.  It sucks for people to have orphaned unsupported guns (looking at you Sig).
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Randainc:
UPDATE:

Can't you just throw on a gas tube and go back to work?
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 3:46:10 AM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

Can't you just throw on a gas tube and go back to work?

gas block, gas tube, and BCG with gas key.  For those that bought the complete AA piston upper, I don't recollect whether the AA bolt had the groove for the gas rings or not, but yeah, need the gas rings on the bolt.  AA bolt carrier has the tombstone instead of the gas key.  But you're right, it'd be pretty straight-forward to get that barreled upper back into business.  Essentially, converting it back to DI.  Readily available standard DI parts.  unless I'm missing something.

on some earlier conversions, might have to knock out that bushing that sits in the upper receiver where the gas tube enters, should be pretty straight-forward to do with a small flat-blade screwdriver and small hammer.
Link Posted: Yesterday 5:21:16 AM EDT
[#23]
MidwayUSA just added the Adams Arms conversion kits back to their storefront under "Temporarily Unavailable". So maybe a new owner is coming through?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Adams Arms Lay-off Staff (Page 2 of 2)
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top