Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2019 1:00:42 PM EDT
Good day folks, have decided on using an SLR .875 adjustable gas block and a 15 inch ION Ultra Lite rail to finish off my build.
Wanted to double check with user experience...to see if anyone had any clearance issues with that combo?

But so far this is what I have accumulated...
-Aero M5 upper/lower & parts kit
-Brownells BCG (on order)
-Radian raptor-LT charging handle (on order)
-UBR gen2 with 308 rifle spring & AR15 carbine H3 buffer
-Geissele S3G Trigger (temporary, will replace with wilson combat TTU)
-Wilson Combat 20 inch barrel
-Leupold 4.5-15x50mm (temporary, looking for a 3-18X) & Badger max 50 ultra high alloy
-6.5 creedmoor specified D&H magazines
-Silencerco ASR flash hider

Other than that...going to try some 140 and 147 Honady ELD-M when I sight in; wish me luck on my first AR10.

Link Posted: 8/22/2019 7:32:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I would skip the adjustable gas block and find a adjust bolt carrier group if you are concerned about clearance issues. Your suppressor may not over gas your gun and you may not need an adjustable GB. My DA sandman s functions fine on my 18" JP Enterprise barrel on my 6.5 Grendel.  I have many slr gas blocks on my suppress 5.56 and 6.5 rifles.  I started to remove them in favor of adjustable gas blocks, no special long hex head wrench to reach into the handguard around the suppressor if you put it on or off, no clearance issues, or failure of the metal leaf on the GB. A simple turn of the screw using a regular screw driver (leatherman) and your done.  My 6.5 went down with a SLR GB.  I'm on using adjustable BCG on my critical guns.  Looks like 2A has a 308 adjustable bolt now.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 10:29:05 AM EDT
[#2]
daddytallguy,

appreciate letting me know your experience, disappointing to hear about issues with the SLR gas block; I assumed the newer generations were better off.
was able to find the sentry 8 plus ION handguard locally; and was able to eyeball the clearance, which looks good to go.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#3]
clearance looks decent:

Link Posted: 8/23/2019 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#5]
bfoosh06,

knew it before even installing...but the first mlok slot underneath is pretty much unusable for attachments.
I had to use the 2nd slot.  let me know if you want to see close up pictures.

Link Posted: 8/30/2019 2:20:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Got the rifle fully assembled last week and test fire went decent...

-Got the bolt to lock back @ position 8 of the gas block, could not find the position to lock back with a suppressor.
No big deal, more than likely I will run this rifle without the suppressor.
-If i tried to close the bolt using the bolt release on a magazine with a single round; the bolt would ride on top of it.
Doesn't happen if i use the charging handle or load the magazine with 5+ rounds.
-Experienced bump firing with the S3G trigger, have since changed it out with a Larue 2 stage.
-Wasn't paying attention to the recoil pad when picking out my stock.  The UBR's is quite minimal...trying out the Magpul extended version.
FYI, there will be a Limbsaver Recoil pad coming out soon for the UBR Gen2.

Planning to hit the range later today to see what kind of groups i can get @ 100...will report back.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#8]
bfoosh06,

Thanks for the tip on the magazines...I noticed they do seem to bind sometimes when loading.  And this is the first time seeing those pellets, pretty slick.

So i tried three types of ammo @ 100...
American Gunner (140gr), center
ELD-M (140 gr), on the left
ELD-M (147), right

I have never been good at producing tight groups...but I have to say that I am seeing more more inconsistency with the American gunner compared to the ELD.
Was really hoping the rifle liked the Gunner the best, as it relatively inexpensive!
Going to give them another try at another outing though, with sand bags & better focus on recoil control; looking back, remember more than a few shots with some jumping.

Rain storm ate a couple of my targets in the middle of my session, which had some worse looking groups with the Gunner, and I had to leave the range before taking a picture of the completed target below; which had some tighter shots with the ELD.
Shooting almost two boxes of each, slight trend that the 147 Gr shot the best.  Is it just in my head, or will the 147 recoil more?

Also, was able to dial down the SLR gas block to position 5.

Link Posted: 8/31/2019 12:28:52 PM EDT
[#9]
bump fire issue went away with the Larue MBT-2S.  Which is my first two stage trigger, i feel the trigger is perfect for the application; no complaints about the $87 price tag as well.

picked up an APEG grip at the same time, and found out the hard way that the Aero Precision M5 lower's are meant for AR15 grip dimensions.
I had ordered an AR10 APEG grip, and had to spend some time with a dremel & files to fit the top of the backstrap to the lower.  
Kind of a funky looking grip I have to say; but it feels great.

Link Posted: 10/22/2019 3:53:28 PM EDT
[#10]
few weeks ago, changed out the optic to a Meopta Optika6 3-18x50mm FFP...and sighted it in @ 200; great scope for the money so far I have to say.  At the end of the range trip; shoot a few rounds at some 400 and 600 yard steel...pictures below are at the 400 yard distance.
Also, limbsaver now has recoil pads for the UBR gen2 stock; have not had a chance to shoot with it yet though.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top