Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2024 1:39:10 PM EDT
Have a 9" Balistic Advantage 300BO barrel and a Superlative Arms adjustable gasblock coming my way.

This is only the second upper I have put together.

With the SA gas block will I be able to run the GB against the shoulder on the barrel or should I offset it a little?

Thank you!

Shinji
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 2:34:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I saw something along these lines but the person used a piece of dry spaghetti.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Shinji_Ikari:

With the SA gas block will I be able to run the GB against the shoulder on the barrel or should I offset it a little?

Thank you!
Shinji
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 7:55:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Slingblade2006] [#5]
Bore scope.  Good one cost about $55 on Amazon.  Link
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 10:56:09 PM EDT
[#6]
If the gas block is secured with setscrews just turn the gas block 180 degrees, upside-down, and look through the first setscrew hole.  The orifice of the gas block is drilled through the same hole as the first set screw of the gas block.  If the gas port is centered in that setscrew hole when the gas block is pushed up against the journal there is no need to leave a gap.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 10:57:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#7]
Originally Posted By Slingblade2006:
View Quote

Not sure what is that going to do for you.  The hole in the barrel will be smaller than the orifice in the gas block and I'm not sure that bore scope will fit in a gas block  
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 11:10:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

Not sure what is that going to do for you.  The hole in the barrel will be smaller than the orifice in the gas block and I'm not sure that bore scope will fit in a gas block  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I use a length of orange weed trimmer line to go into the gas block and used the bore scope to look up into the gas port.  I can easily see the gas port hole with the orange line.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 11:54:22 PM EDT
[#9]
IIRC when I installed my SA adjustable the port on the GB is not huge. And I came off the shoulder the approx thickness of the handguard cap.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 12:03:45 AM EDT
[#10]

I use a length of orange weed trimmer line to go into the gas block and used the bore scope to look up into the gas port.  I can easily see the gas port hole with the orange line.
View Quote

If it works for you, great.   It really isn't difficult to align a gas block.  I've never needed anything more than a piece of masking tape and a pencil.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 9:26:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#11]

View Quote

It'll show whether the GP/hole in gas block are in alignment or not.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/416992/e7C6rrYh_jpg-3311417.JPG
View Quote

If the scope is looking through a 1/16" diameter hole, how is it going to see the edges of the 3/16" diameter orifice on the other side?  There are much simpler ways to get the job done, that will be more accurate.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#13]

If the scope is looking through a 1/16" diameter hole, how is it going to see the edges of the 3/16" diameter orifice on the other side?  There are much simpler ways to get the job done, that will be more accurate.
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/416992/e7C6rrYh_jpg-3311417.JPG

As in the above pic.^^^^

There is definitely plenty of lee-way with most (not all GBs) but a cam can confirm/deny an alignment obstruction easily, as shown in the example.

Link Posted: 9/2/2024 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#14]
There are many ways to skin the cat. Alignment that I worry about is distance to make sure I've got the tube over the port, and functionality of the BCG with the gas key.   I've seen armourers use a large flat screwdriver to tweak the alignment of the tube so it doesn't collide with the BCG.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TNRonin:
There are many ways to skin the cat. Alignment that I worry about is distance to make sure I've got the tube over the port<
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By sully:
When it comes to mounting gas blocks onto a barrel, some barrels come pre-dimpled for the gas block rear screw, and some do not.  In fact most of the barrels I come across do not.  I have also seen some of the dimples that were not correctly aligned with the gas port, so it never hurts to check alignment.  

My suggestion is to use an alignment / dimpling fixture, there are several on the market that are available.  

What you will find if using a gas block alignment/dimpling fixture, ours uses a cone shaped set screw that the tip of the screw goes into the gas port, is that most gas blocks don't butt against the shoulder of the barrel, that most will have a slight gas or space.  

https://www.slr15rifles.com/v/vspfiles/photos/GasBlockAlignmentFixture-2T.jpghttps://www.slr15rifles.com/v/vspfiles/photos/GasBlockAlignmentFixture-4T.jpghttps://www.slr15rifles.com/v/vspfiles/photos/GasBlockAlignmentFixture-5T.jpg

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
DefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123
View Quote

I don't see that tool at that website.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#17]

As in the above pic.^^^^

There is definitely plenty of lee-way with most (not all GBs) but a cam can confirm/deny an alignment obstruction easily, as shown in the example.

View Quote

Seems like a lot of something for nothing.  It really ain't rocket surgery, although some make it seem so.

For left and right indexing I just wrap a strip of masking tape around the journal and mark the location of the port on the tape.  Place gas block on barrel and align the hole for the gas tube with the pencil mark and tighten down.  Remove tape.  Done!  

Flip the gas block 180 degrees prior to aligning the hole for the gas tube and look through the first set screw hole to to see if you need to leave a gap for the handguard cap.

It is one of the simplest tasks in assembling an upper.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 6:26:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#18]

Seems like a lot of something for nothing.  It really ain't rocket surgery, although some make it seem so.

For left and right indexing I just wrap a strip of masking tape around the journal and mark the location of the port on the tape.  Place gas block on barrel and align the hole for the gas tube with the pencil mark and tighten down.  Remove tape.  Done!  

Flip the gas block 180 degrees prior to aligning the hole for the gas tube and look through the first set screw hole to to see if you need to leave a gap for the handguard cap.

It is one of the simplest tasks in assembling an upper.
View Quote

Everybody has their pet method.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 9:44:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I use dimpling jigs for .625 and .750 journal barrels.

5/32 masonry bit makes quick work of even nitrided barrels.

The only gas block I've encountered that my jigs don't like is the KAC because the set screws are pretty close to each other.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 10:30:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By M4ger:
I use dimpling jigs for .625 and .750 journal barrels.

5/32 masonry bit makes quick work of even nitrided barrels.

The only gas block I've encountered that my jigs don't like is the KAC because the set screws are pretty close to each other.
View Quote

And, honestly, you only need the one dimple.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Shinji_Ikari:
Have a 9" Balistic Advantage 300BO barrel and a Superlative Arms adjustable gasblock coming my way.

This is only the second upper I have put together.

Thank you!

Shinji
View Quote

Use a feeler gauge to set your gap to shoulder at 0.025"
is the gas block the clamp-on type or set-screw type ?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

I learned about the spaghetti trick here! Works great, no need for dimples
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 1:56:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By IndyGrendel63:

View Quote

While dimples (if located correctly) can simplify instalation, alignment isn't really the point of them. It's to prevent the block from being able to move after instalation.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 9:50:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Stowe:

While dimples (if located correctly) can simplify instalation, alignment isn't really the point of them. It's to prevent the block from being able to move after instalation.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Stowe:

I view dimple/s as an alignment method only personally.

Proper torque and thread locker along with proper set screws will do the job.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

You don't need dimples, nor spaghetti.  IDK why so many folks make this out to be so challenging.  It ain't rocket surgery  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top