Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/21/2019 9:42:54 AM EDT
I have a Leupold VX-R Patrol 1-4x24 on the rifle I use for service rifle and love the clarity.  Just built a 10.5" upper and need some glass for it.

I don't see shooting past 300yds with the new rifle but with my old(er) eyes I'm finding I need the magnification upped just a bit more each year.

Leupold has a VX-R in 3-9x40 for about 550.00 but I see some people raving about Athlon scopes and others Vortex.  Athlon and Vortex seem to have better price points than Leupold.   Tried to find some comparative info but came up empty.

So I'm turning to arfcom to help me find the right scope.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Figure out what you want to spend.

Buy a Burris, Weaver, Vortex, Sightron, or Leupold with the features you want in that price range.  The Leupold last as you'll pay a premium for the brand.  On the other hand, the warranty is rock solid and helps preserve the price for which you can sell the scope.
View Quote
Up to 600
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Having owned or currently owning all three.

Cheap leupold scopes have better glass than argos or midas athlon scopes.  I cant speculate about high end athlon scopes.  With that said the turrets on my 1-6 Midas are better than the turrets on my Leupold Vx-3 lrp which is 3x the price.

Some of the athlon scopes track really well, (this is noted as a feature on the athlon scope website).

Both leupold and vortex have really good warranties that are proven.  Athlon seems to have a really good warranty as well but they are a much newer company so who knows if they will be around in 10 years.

With respect to vortex it has been my experience that cheap vortex scopes are terrible (see crossfire series) but the more expensive scopes are nice.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 2:32:44 PM EDT
[#4]
The Vortex Viper PST 2 1-6 comes in under your budget and is a feature packed value.  You can snag them on DSG with a mount for 599 or get just the scope on sale often at 499.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#5]
For Athlon all I can speak to is the Cronus. It’s truly Vortex Razor quality, just less expensive. Anyone that says otherwise has not been behind both.

The only thing I will say is the Vortex turrets out the box do feel better than Athlon. However after cleaning the grease out the turrets and replacing with dielectric grease, they are just as tactile.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#6]
If athlon is still around in 5 years I might consider them, depending on long term reviews and more exposure in the market.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#7]
VXR Patrol 3-9 is a pretty good rig. Would be at home on a deer rifle. I wish Leupold would do a 1-5 or 1-6 VXR. Say in the Viper price range.
There are a lot of good, not great scopes in that price range. But most of the time it’s good enough.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 2:19:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If athlon is still around in 5 years I might consider them, depending on long term reviews and more exposure in the market.
View Quote
Fair enough. Last year there were a few big league PRS shooters using the Athlon Cronus. If they can penetrate the professional precision rifle market, they will be here to stay.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I don’t care much for Vortex with the exception of the Razor line.  Have never looked through an Athlon scope but have an Athlon rangefinder I won in a drawing that I like.  Have friend who likes Athlon scopes.

I have a VX-R 2-7x33 I really like with the caveat that I don’t twist turrets.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#10]
My Recce build uses a VX-R 3-9x40 Patrol mil/mil as the primary optic.  I’m very pleased with its performance.  Very good glass at its price point.  The motion-activated Firedot TMR reticle can be made daylight bright and has insanely long battery life with typical use - years.

Link Posted: 4/30/2019 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I have two vxr scopes like yours. Few years ago put a vxr 2-7 on my ar10 and really like it
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top