Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2024 6:13:23 PM EDT
Ballistic Advantage is criticized on forums. I noticed they do have a "premium series". Are those good barrels?
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By peacematu:
Ballistic Advantage is criticized on forums. I noticed they do have a "premium series". Are those good barrels?
View Quote

BA makes a metric shit ton of barrels, so there are going to be some that don't measure up.  

I have their DMR 20" I built on some years ago.  I think it was called "performance series" then.  It is a legitimate sub-moa shooter with handloads.  I never have shot any factory ammo through it so no idea there.  I have no idea if their current "premium" barrels are the built the same.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 8:15:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I have several BA barrels and I’m very pleased with all of them, especially the premium fluted.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 8:22:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AccuracyArsenal] [#3]
I bought one a few months ago, I noticed a blemish in the bore near the crown, so, I sent it back.  

Then with the replacement barrel, I tested it with 4 bolts that I have and all of them closed on a No-Go gauge.  So, that one went back as well.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#4]
GTG
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AccuracyArsenal:
I bought one a few months ago, I noticed a blemish in the bore near the crown, so, I sent it back.  

Then with the replacement barrel, I tested it with 4 bolts that I have and none of them would close on a Go gauge.  So, that one went back as well.
View Quote

@AccuracyArsenal

Damn. Are you sure it was one of their premium series barrels?
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Bucket-Back:
I get paper plate minute of angle with mine at 50 yards

Freehand shooting a 10.5" BA barrel on a Colt A2 upper
View Quote

@Bucket-Back

A premium series barrel?
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:38:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

BA makes a metric shit ton of barrels, so there are going to be some that don't measure up.  

I have their DMR 20" I built on some years ago.  I think it was called "performance series" then.  It is a legitimate sub-moa shooter with handloads.  I never have shot any factory ammo through it so no idea there.  I have no idea if their current "premium" barrels are the built the same.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

No, the premium series is separate from their performance series. Both currently exist.

As an aside, I'm wondering if Aero Precision uses their cheapest barrels.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 11:02:52 AM EDT
[#9]

@AccuracyArsenal

View Quote

16" 223 WYLDE SPR FLUTED STAINLESS STEEL MIDLENGTH AR 15 BARREL, PREMIUM SERIES

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/16-223-wylde-spr-fluted-stainless-steel-midlength-ar-15-barrel-premium-series.html

I bought it from AR15 Discounts

Of note, Ballistic Advantage does currently list blems available for this barrel on their website....

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/16-223-wylde-spr-fluted-stainless-steel-midlength-ar-15-barrel-premium-series-blem.html

The one I bought was not advertised as a blem.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 11:22:15 AM EDT
[#10]

@AccuracyArsenal

View Quote

I need to correct myself. I previously stated that I couldn't get the barrel to close on a go gauge. The issue what actually that it closed on a No-Go gauge....  I had an Anderson barrel that would only close on the Go-Gauge on one out of 4 bolts. I confused the two.

Here is the video I sent to the vendor for the BA barrel

Ballistic Advantage Fails No-Go Headspace
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 2:38:31 PM EDT
[#11]

I need to correct myself. I previously stated that I couldn't get the barrel to close on a go gauge. The issue what actually that it closed on a No-Go gauge....  I had an Anderson barrel that would only close on the Go-Gauge on one out of 4 bolts. I confused the two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9UIVUR6cB0
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@AccuracyArsenal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9UIVUR6cB0

Could using a .223 gauge on a Wylde barrel have something to do with it?

@AccuracyArsenal
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Could using a .223 gauge on a Wylde barrel have something to do with it?

@AccuracyArsenal
View Quote

As far as I am aware, the difference between .223 Remington, .223 Wylde, and 5.56 NATO is the length of the freebore and the angle of the lead.  Neither of those dimensions would affect the headspace.

But, I am not a gunsmith, so, hopefully someone more educated can chime in.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#13]

As far as I am aware, the difference between .223 Remington, .223 Wylde, and 5.56 NATO is the length of the freebore and the angle of the lead.  Neither of those dimensions would affect the headspace.

But, I am not a gunsmith, so, hopefully someone more educated can chime in.
View Quote

This is correct.  A headspace gage doesn't check throat, they only check to the shoulder datum.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 6:15:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top