Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2024 1:50:45 AM EDT
Looking at getting my first “high-quality” barrel and teasing around with the CHF variety. Budget is $300-$400 with gas block and tube included. 13.9” only. So don’t be coming in here with that DD & FN stuff ha

Application: range toy, training gun, potential competition (Tactical Games), hd gun, and coyote hunting.

I recently consolidated 4 low-to-mid-tier builds and wanting to finally “buy once cry once”. I’m a low round count per year kind of guy and don’t see that changing for the next 3-5 years based on my finances.

The options I’m looking at currently:
1. BRT Optimum
2. SOLGW Combat Grade V2
3. Noveske Infidel (13.7)
4. Centurion Lightweight
5. Criterion CORE

- I was originally leaning towards the SOLGW, but it’s hard to notice any difference between that and the BRT. Same OEM?
- The Noveske is interesting but greatly limits my muzzle device choices being 13.7 instead of 13.9.
- The Criterion is a bit of a standout compared to the rest because it’s not CHF, it’s .223 Wylde and 1/8T. The rest are CHF, 5.56, 1/7T. Should I care about that? I’ll be shooting 90% 55gr FMJ and 10% 68-77gr otm. The Berger stability calculator said I’ll be fine with the 1/8T in a 13.9 but I know everyone recommends 1/7T.
- The Centurion is basically a govt profile when all the others are more of a taper with more weight closer to the receiver, which I like.
- Then, what about gas port sizes?! Centurion publishes there’s at 0.074, I’ve seen criterion’s measured at 0.077, any idea on the BRT, SOLGW, or Noveske? I’d like the “softest shooter”. (Thinking I’m gonna go A5 system as well)
- Are there any barrels I’m missing that I should consider?

Please help
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 2:47:22 AM EDT
[#1]
1/8 will have no noticeable effect
for you and shouldn't be a concern. The tapered profile is noticeable. It puts more of the weight between your hands, vs at the muzzle. I'd go that route. Not a deal breaker, but worth considering.
Edit: of the barrels you listed (all good options) I only have the criterion and it's much shorter. I do have a couple of 14.5s with that tapered profile though and can tell you it's worth it
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 3:17:59 AM EDT
[#2]
So you’d say maybe stay away from the Centurion and BRT based on the taper? I was already sort of leaning that way.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 7:18:07 AM EDT
[#3]
have criterion, love criterion.  runs with/without can regular gas block, very accurate, light enough
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 8:14:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I am part of the 13.7 gang. I have a 13.7 Sons and a BCM BFH 16 that I had cut down to 13.7. I left the gas port alone so it should be .076

SOLGW advertises their gas to be .0785

I believe Geissele also offers a 13.9
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I just picked up one from capable citizen, heavy towards the receiver tapers down nicely. Haven’t put it together yet though but I’ve seen good reviews so far.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 2:34:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So you’d say maybe stay away from the Centurion and BRT based on the taper? I was already sort of leaning that way.
View Quote

I'm a fan of the tapered profile. It puts the thicker part of the barrel where it actually needs to be and as a side benefit, makes the muzzle lighter. The overall package (shifting the weight to the rear) makes the whole gun feel lighter and more balanced.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd add geiselle to that list especially when a sale is looming.
any of these 4 i'd go

1. Criterion 25.6 oz
2. Geiselle 24 oz
3. BRT 23.7 oz
4. Centurion 23 oz

I also like the tapped profile more as well.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Ooo yeah, I forgot that Geissele does a baller 4th sale. I'll keep my eye out.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#9]
From what I’ve seen with my Criterion Core I’d order another one. It’s fantastic; gassed perfectly, lightweight, and accurate. It’s not CHF, but it’s a damn good barrel.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ooo yeah, I forgot that Geissele does a baller 4th sale. I'll keep my eye out.
View Quote
This is what I'd do. I really like my G 10.3 and 12.5 barrels.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I’d choose Core. Balance is very nice, weight is reasonable, quality and accuracy seems consistently good, gas port sizes are good, comes in the length you want. Its an example of a barrel manufacturer doing the basics well, not charging you for marketing, rebranding, or exotic stuff with little benefit, and just giving you a good barrel at a good price with no drama.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 3:20:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Criterion also has their Hybrid profile in 13.9 inch length. I'm running one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top