Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2020 11:30:09 AM EDT
What are the consequences of a barrel nut torqued to low say 25lb.s and or one torqued over 80lb.s? Has this happened to anyway?
Not judging anyones mishap or skill...but say you went back to check down the line and realized your wrench at the time was unwittingly out of spec etc etc
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Too low and might loosen when shooting
Too high you could shear the index pin
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#2]
unlikely to cause an issue if just a bit too low.  Many barrel nuts have a feature that indexes on the gas tube - it's impossible to unscrew more than 2-3 degrees with a gas tube in place.  Most ones that don't have gas-tube indexing have rails with anti-rotation features.  Keep this in mind... many many precision competitors that have switch-barrel bolt-gun setups will screw barrels on hand tight and then give a little smack on the wrench just to make sure it's on to make sure it'll stay snug.  I can't see this making more than 15-30 ft-lbs on the barrel, and these dudes are making tiny holes or hitting targets a long way off successfully.  Too little torque on an AR15 really isn't a problem as long as it's at least just little more than snug - I suppose you might have to be careful worrying about a nut coming loose on a crappy freefloat without anti-rotation anywhere... but it's very easy to hit 20-30 ft lbs with just plain wrenches.

Too much torque and you risk twisting the upper receiver, shearing a pin, or cracking the threads.  You need a big bar and some retard strength to do this though.  I've had some nuts up to 100ft-lbs (to hit the next index point) and  it turned out just fine.  Anymore I just screw things on hand tight and then either tighten to the next index notch (if there indexes) or I just aim for 50ft-lbs and call it good.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 11:54:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Too low and might loosen when shooting
Too high you could shear the index pin
View Quote
Had the first happen to me. Urx4 I did not want to mar up.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 11:57:50 AM EDT
[#4]
If it is a thru nut gas tube version,
it really can't back off more than a tad
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

True, but it'll give you accuracy issues.

On a pistol cal build specifically if the barrel is able to slide forward enough it could give you a dangerous amount of extra headspace.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 2:22:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What are the consequences of a barrel nut torqued to low say 25lb.s and or one torqued over 80lb.s? Has this happened to anyway?
Not judging anyones mishap or skill...but say you went back to check down the line and realized your wrench at the time was unwittingly out of spec etc etc
View Quote

Tight is tight.  Numbers are for rookies.  You would be surprised how light switch-barrel shooters tighten barrel nuts.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank y'all very much. Not having a torque wrench this go around this advice gives me comfort now. Much appreciated
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Look on their forums, switch barrel shooters sometimes like going up to 150 ft lbs.   You don't see many happy with 15 as mentioned here.  I like mine snug without going over 80 as spec'd.  I set my torque wrench to 35, when it clicks, I switch to a non clicking wrench (fixed beam) and screw/unscrew until it gets to the next notch for the gas tube.

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?66643-Switch-Barrel-Torque/page4
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Look on their forums, switch barrel shooters sometimes like going up to 150 ft lbs.
View Quote

And the guys I shoot with like to be able to switch them out on the tailgate of their pickup.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Take the time to do it right.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

On a pistol cal build specifically if the barrel is able to slide forward enough it could give you a dangerous amount of extra headspace.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is not accurate.  Headspace has nothing to do with how far a barrel is in the reciever.  Headspace is established when the bolt locks into the barrel extension.  You can check headspace without the barrel installed in the reciever.  Reciever has no bearing on headspace.

ETA: Barrel nut torque has zero effect on headspace either.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 10:17:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is not accurate.  Headspace has nothing to do with how far a barrel is in the receiver.  Headspace is established when the bolt locks into the barrel extension.  You can check headspace without the barrel installed in the receiver.  Receiver has no bearing on headspace.

View Quote

Most pistol caliber bolts don't lock into the barrel extension. Then what?
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is not accurate.  Headspace has nothing to do with how far a barrel is in the receiver.  Headspace is established when the bolt locks into the barrel extension.  You can check headspace without the barrel installed in the receiver.  Receiver has no bearing on headspace.

You are correct.  I missed the pistol caliber part.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 10:31:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

The barrel nut would have to be sloppy loose to allow a barrel to slide forward even a fraction of an inch, and being the handguard is attached to the barrel nut I think you'd notice.  And even if there were all that would likely happen is a fail to fire.  How would you get a "dangerous amount of headspace" with a pistol caliber?  People shoot 45 Colt in 454 and 460 pistols all the time as well as 38 Special in 357 magnum and so on.  Hell, people even shoot 40's in a 10.  There is no such worry.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#15]
saint stoner designed a marine resistant gun

Link Posted: 10/15/2020 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
saint stoner designed a marine resistant gun

View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 2:07:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thank y'all very much. Not having a torque wrench this go around this advice gives me comfort now. Much appreciated
View Quote

You know you can get a workable 1/2" SAE ft-lb torque wrench at Harbor Freight for around $20?  And you can usually find a 20% off one item coupon that you can use.  Sure, it ain't Snap-On, but it is good enough for this application, and inexpensive peace of mind.

If you really can't afford it, just about any shade tree mechanic should have one you could borrow for 15 minutes.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top