Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2024 2:43:32 PM EDT
This isn't about heavier red dots like the PRO or Comp M4, but what is the best overall red dot that weighs 6 ounces or less For around $400 to $500? T2 is honestly too much money for what you get so I'm kinda stuck between the Duty RDS or the Sig Romeo 4t. I like the 100k hours of battery life on the 4t and it's $400 price, but are they actually really durable and reliable? I've had Romeo 5s fail on me in the past and have avoided the Romeo series in general because of that. The Duty RDS only has 30,000 hours of battery life, but has great reliability and durability. Or is there a third option that's viable?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#1]
100k hours of battery life on the 4t
View Quote

At what setting?  Sig likes to hype up their battery life but what they don't tell you is it is when on setting 1, which is kind of pointless unless you are shooting in the dark.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:46:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Aimpoint ACRO is more
Holosun EPS & EPS Carry are less
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I really like the Duty RDS. I have one T2 and 3 Duty RDS now; likely won't buy another T2. That said much like the PRO, the Duty battery life rating is based on a not really usable mid brightness setting and if you run it daylight bright all the time (which you should) you'll need to replace the battery at around 4 months. This is the same as PRO in my experience. The T2 on the other hand seems to go years at a daylight bright setting.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#4]
The Aimpoint website shows the T2 having 50,000 hours of battery at setting 8 out of 12. I'm assuming that's the brightness used for indoors with the lights on. Its good, but I'm just not sure it's almost $800 good. That's why I'm bringing up the Romeo 4t as a possible alternative.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:56:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HawkinsID] [#5]
The fact that you are questioning the Romeo means you should not get it.  You will always doubt it.  You need to have confidence in your weapon.  

Just buy the T2.  Cry once and be done.  

Is your life worth an extra couple hundred dollars?  The answer should be yes.  

P.S.  I don't even look at the price tag on weapons and accessories.  I buy the best regardless of cost if I feel I need it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy an Aimpoint T2 or H2 without the mount at Euro Optic and then add the mount you want.

I have two T2s and they are well worth the money.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VersaceDesertEagle:
The Aimpoint website shows the T2 having 50,000 hours of battery at setting 8 out of 12. I'm assuming that's the brightness used for indoors with the lights on. It's good, but I'm just not sure it's almost $800 good. That's why I'm bringing up the Romeo 4t as a possible alternative.
View Quote
I bounce between setting 9 and 10 on mine depending on conditions. Battery life really shouldn't even be a huge concern for you. Replace the batteries annually like you would a smoke detector.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:21:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JBecker_72:
Buy an Aimpoint T2 or H2 without the mount at Euro Optic and then add the mount you want.

I have two T2s and they are well worth the money.
View Quote

They are decently priced on that site without a mount. I'm interested tbh now. Duty RDS is still tempting though for $450 even with lower battery life. Tough choice.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:22:34 PM EDT
[#9]
How about a used T-1.... or 2?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:35:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By HawkinsID:
The fact that you are questioning the Romeo means you should not get it.  You will always doubt it.  You need to have confidence in your weapon.  

Just buy the T2.  Cry once and be done.  

Is your life worth an extra couple hundred dollars?  The answer should be yes.  

P.S.  I don't even look at the price tag on weapons and accessories.  I buy the best regardless of cost if I feel I need it.
View Quote
@HawkinsID - what AR are you running?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:07:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Used H-1s are regular in the EE here. Solid optics if NVD are not in your rotation.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:37:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
Used H-1s are regular in the EE here. Solid optics if NVD are not in your rotation.
View Quote

Night vision is a requirement. I have an Aimpoint S-1 (H-2 with a shotgun rib mount) and think it's amazing and I got that for about $550 in like new condition, but I had no plans of shooting a shotgun in night vision.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:09:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Night vision is a requirement. I have an Aimpoint S-1 (H-2 with a shotgun rib mount) and think it's amazing and I got that for about $550 in like new condition, but I had no plans of shooting a shotgun in night vision.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

A few T1/T2s and Duty RDS in the EE as well in the $450-$600 range.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:21:31 PM EDT
[#14]
There is a pretty big difference between a 4T and a 5.  

A 4T is what Obi Wan Nairobi rocked as those are ruggedized.   But I hear they have poor night vision settings.  (I don't know, I don't have NV, but that seems to be the knock on them).  The new 4Tpro/4XTpro are supposed to be really, really, really good, with good night vision.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:25:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HawkinsID] [#15]
Originally Posted By SouthernGunHand:
@HawkinsID - what AR are you running?
View Quote

I run TA11J-Gs with an offset T2 on all my ARs.   My ARs are all Stag 2H and Stag 3H.  Geissele SSA triggers.  H2 buffers.  I have eight of this exact setup.

They have worked for 15 years without a single malfunction ever.  One time, 10 years ago, I changed gas rings on one bolt.  The gun still worked with a broken gas ring.

I trust this setup with my life based on my history with it.  Hundreds of hours hunting, 3 gun, and weekly range trips.

I could care less about price.  But, I also don’t over spend to reach my goal.    My goal was to buy a reliable rifle.  The Stag 2H / 3H did that.  The ACOG / T2 is the best setup for a general purpose defensive carbine money can buy.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:04:08 AM EDT
[#16]
The Romeo 4XT Pro is probably the best red dot on the market

I think the only difference between a 4t pro and 4xt pro is the battery.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:30:44 AM EDT
[#17]
15 years ago, there was a legitimate argument that Aimpoint was the only red dot you should bet your life on.  That has changed.  Electronics have improved.  There are now several good choices.

But, if the OP has doubts about the Romeo, he should get a T2.  It is not smart to doubt your weapon.  In the overall scheme of things, an extra couple hundred dollars for piece of mind is worth it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:14:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By HawkinsID:
15 years ago, there was a legitimate argument that Aimpoint was the only red dot you should bet your life on.  That has changed.  Electronics have improved.  There are now several good choices.

But, if the OP has doubts about the Romeo, he should get a T2.  It is not smart to doubt your weapon.  In the overall scheme of things, an extra couple hundred dollars for piece of mind is worth it.
View Quote

With Aimpoint I know for a fact everything is battle tested. With Sig optics a lot of them are lower quality Chinese products. I still know some of their products are high grade like the Tango 6t and the Romeo 4t. It's just frustrating to not immediately know if one of Sig's products are good to go. From my research the 4t lineup seems duty ready but my only experience with Sig optics are the Chinese ones.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:39:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#19]
Originally Posted By PistoleroJesse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqs9C7ar6z0

I think the only difference between a 4t pro and 4xt pro is the battery.
View Quote

I have a 4XT Pro and 4 T2s.  The 4XT is probably the most feature-full micro pattern RDS on the market, but it’s not better than the T2.  There’s a number of reasons I say that, horrible button placement, annoying lens cap mounting, etc.

OP, I say go T2.  It’s a little more money, but IME, AP Micros are nearly indestructible.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:18:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: funnelcake] [#20]
KUSA was selling these for less $$ etched with their logo but who knows what will wind-up happening there.

The optics are legit though.

Core 2

Core 1
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:25:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I run a Pro on my main squeeze, but I want to switch to a Duty. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:

I have a 4XT Pro and 4 T2s.  The 4XT is probably the most feature-full micro pattern RDS on the market, but it’s not better than the T2.  There’s a number of reasons I say that, horrible button placement, annoying lens cap mounting, etc.

OP, I say go T2.  It’s a little more money, but IME, AP Micros are nearly indestructible.
View Quote

For the buttons, is it because they are not recessed?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By panthermark:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By panthermark:
Originally Posted By WUPHF:

That, and the location.  If you’re doing anything slung, especially while wearing gear, the top of the optic is constantly bumping into stuff.

OHC makes a 3D printed shroud that for the most part fixes the issue, but it’s a stupid problem to have on such an expensive optic.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#24]
In that weight class (including a mount), the answer is T2.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#25]
It seems T2 is the best choice from a majority of the people helping me out in this thread. I will begrudgingly pay the premium for it, but if i feel the price is too high for what I'm getting I'll just buy a Romeo 4t next time for cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Isn't 50k hours equivalent to leaving the RDS on for 5 years?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:28:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Moondog:
Isn't 50k hours equivalent to leaving the RDS on for 5 years?
View Quote

A bit over.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#28]
It seems T2 is the best choice from a majority of the people helping me out in this thread. I will begrudgingly pay the premium for it, but if i feel the price is too high for what I'm getting I'll just buy a Romeo 4t next time for cheaper.
View Quote

fyi the low mount version on euro optic is sub 800 right now; cheaper than the no mount one.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Another T2 vote.  As of about a year ago, Aimpoint changed the LED emitter output (reduced), so older gen brightness levels of an 8 now need to be turned to newer gen 9.  You basically are getting the same brightness level at a reduced battery life.  

Poor "update."  Aimpoint states they did so to refine the dot.  It's a confounding decision, but I have five older gens with the brighter emitters so I don't worry about it.

Either way, T2 is still the best RDS on the market.  Even at 7075, the CompM5 battery placement is a drop-on-top compromise, and the M5S is pretty pricey.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

That is how I felt and ended up with a series of Romeo 4s' (H, S, and T).   I almost purchased another 4T about two weeks ago when Optics Planet had them on sale for $380 or so.

Aimpoint Pro's and Duty's are $500 right now.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top