AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

Did you read the "Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo" tacked at the top of the page? I spent a loooooong time accumulating all of the data that went into it.
View Quote

I would like to express my appreciation for the work you put into that ! Read it years ago even before joining the fourm and still like to reread it every now and again.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:51:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Hyrum-22:

I would like to express my appreciation for the work you put into that !
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hyrum-22:

Did you read the "Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo" tacked at the top of the page? I spent a loooooong time accumulating all of the data that went into it.

I would like to express my appreciation for the work you put into that !

Hear, hear!

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:56:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#3]
Originally Posted By TheKurnal:

I have read a lot of ammo ballistic write ups from @molon.  I wonder what self defense AR15 223/556 he chooses?  
View Quote

62/64 grain Gold Dot

10-shot group of hand-loaded 62 grain Gold Dot:  extreme spread = 0.58”

Nosler 64 grain Bonded Solid Base

Terminal ballistic testing conducted by Dr. G.K. Roberts using the scientific standard of properly prepared and validated 10% ordnance gelatin has shown that the 64 grain BSB can produce an average penetration depth of 17.1” in bare gelatin with a recovered diameter of 0.46” (when fired from a 16" barrel.)  After passing through an intermediate barrier of automobile safety glass, the 64 grain BSB can produce average penetration depth of 13.6” with a recovered diameter of 0.35” (again from a 16” barrel.)

10-shot group of hand-loaded Nosler 64 grain BSB:  extreme spread = 0.822"

Sierra 77 grain Tipped MatchKing

10-shot group of handloaded 77 grain TMK: extreme spread = 0.68”.

Nosler 77 grain OTM

10-shot group of hand-loaded Nosler 77 grain OTM: extreme spread = 0.807”

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote
A Sincere thanks for your time and effort.  I'm not going to quibble.  
I have been reading this stuff since the Ammo Oracle, Troy, etc.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:58:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:33:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#6]

The only caveat is that people think that if the 77gr SMK fragments well, that ANY 77gr OTM will fragment and that might not be the case.
View Quote

Unfortunately, the 77 grain MatchKing does not have reliable terminal ballistic properties compared to the 77 grain Nosler OTM, 75 grain Hornady T2 and the 77 grain Tipped MatchKing.  It can have an excessively long ballistic neck and a lower percentage of fragmentation compared to the previously mentioned bullets.

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:33:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I treat all of the 75/77gr SMK's and OTM as better M193's in terms of bullets that CAN, and often do fragment via yaw, but were not specifically designed to do so.  Thus the necks could be longer than something that was designed to break apart.

I consider the TMK heavy varmint rounds, which were intended to fragment.    Of course velocity plays a big part in that as well.

I loaded up on mostly 77gr IMI SMK's prior to ACC selling TMK's that are actually affordable.  (But I don't shoot any of them now).
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:59:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By panthermark:
I treat all of the 75/77gr SMK's and OTM as better M193's in terms of bullets that CAN, and often do fragment via yaw, but were not specifically designed to do so.  Thus the necks could be longer than something that was designed to break apart.

I consider the TMK heavy varmint rounds, which were intended to fragment.    Of course velocity plays a big part in that as well.

I loaded up on mostly 77gr IMI SMK's prior to ACC selling TMK's that are actually affordable.  (But I don't shoot any of them now).
View Quote

Ive founs 77 TMK to be about a 2.5-3moa round so its mainky for bigger closer targets for me.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JohnDough:

Ive founs 77 TMK to be about a 2.5-3moa round
View Quote

Something is not right with that.  My hand-loads with the 77 grain MatchKing have produced sub 3/4 MOA 10-shot groups.  The original lots of the Black Hills 77 grain TMK were a little over 1 MOA and the newer lots have turned in some sub MOA 10-shot groups.

Hand load . . .

Factor loads . . .

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 11:58:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnDough] [#10]
Originally Posted By Molon:

Something is not right with that.  My hand-loads with the 77 grain MatchKing have produced sub 3/4 MOA 10-shot groups.  The original lots of the Black Hills 77 grain TMK were a little over 1 MOA and the newer lots have turned in some sub MOA 10-shot groups.

Hand load . . .
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/sierra_tipped_mk_handload_02b_resized_JP-3156215.jpg

Factor loads . . .
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/black_hills_556mm_77_TMK_measured_10_sho-1336384.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/black_hills_556_77_tipped_matchking_10_s-2909838.jpg

View Quote

I've shot it in multiple guns. In all of them, I average 3moa or so. In the same range session as Browntip, MK262, etc averages 1.5-1.8. Of course, I only use chrome lined LW barrels, so there is that. 10 shot groups.

Every year or two, I buy a new 50rd box from Black hills. In every case it continues to return the aforementioned performance.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By panthermark:

It isn't about bouncing off, it is about being able to penetrate deep enough reach vitals and incapacitate regardless of odd angles, clothing etc.

V-max/Varmageddon works in 300blk because is is a much heavier bullet going at a slower speed, so it does not fragment as quickly.  The core still penetrates to 14 inches and is usually retains close to half of the original weight.  

55gr Vmax will over fragment due to velocity, and may not penetrate deep enough to hit vitals if at an off angle shot.  (Think shooting through on out stretched arm).
View Quote

PAGING KYLE RITTENHOUSE TO THE WHITE COURTESY PHONE
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top