Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2024 9:48:11 AM EDT
Anyone have any experience with this load as far as accuracy and velocity? It’s listed at 2875 fps (20” barrel) on the Black Hills sight. I have a large stash of 69 TMK bullets but have never found a load even close to that velocity that wasn’t a 3” group (more like a pattern… lol) or larger…. This is out of my 20” Bartlein that’s accurate with almost everything I’ve shot through it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#1]
My 12.5 with the can gets around 2710 on a warm day. 5 round groups around .7moa
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Only ammo I ever got a sub MOA group with (Larue upper at 100 yards), twice,  5-shot groups.

Never chrono'd it, only have a few boxes.  Was going to deer hunt but heard it wasn't as reliable as the 77gr version.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 8:53:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a bunch of the 69gr TMK and it's my go-to ammo stash.  I'm not a bench / precision shooter so no input other than to mention I have never had a stoppage of any kind with this ammo.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:57:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Not Black Hills but I've loaded a few thousand for my ROTC Cadets to practice for the off-season when they don't have access to Army M855A1.  It flies generally on the same trajectory as the TA01B (7.62) ACOG BDC when pushed by 24.7 of TAC.

Both M855A1 and 69 TMKs start getting blown around a little by wind at 400 and beyond when launched from 14.5 M4A1s.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I tried the BH 77 gr TMK, and was a little disappointed in the accuracy, 1.5-2.0 with several different guns. Might just be my lack of skill, or just a bad day, but other factory SMK loads (Prvi, FGMM) shot better for me.  I think it’s the polymer tip that degrades accuracy. YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 11:11:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Saddlerocker] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By stevelish:
I tried the BH 77 gr TMK, and was a little disappointed in the accuracy, 1.5-2.0 with several different guns. Might just be my lack of skill, or just a bad day, but other factory SMK loads (Prvi, FGMM) shot better for me.  I think it’s the polymer tip that degrades accuracy. YMMV.
View Quote

I recently built a nice bolt gun in 223 Wylde, and the BH 77gr TMK is the best I have tried.
.5moa all day (EDIT: 5-Shot groups)

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 12:56:36 PM EDT
[#7]

I tried the BH 77 gr TMK, and was a little disappointed in the accuracy, 1.5-2.0 with several different guns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I tried the BH 77 gr TMK, and was a little disappointed in the accuracy, 1.5-2.0 with several different guns.

The 77 grain tipped MatchKing is capable of much better precision than that, even when fired from a semi-automatic AR-15. My hand-loads with the 77 grain MatchKing have produced sub 3/4 MOA 10-shot groups.  The original lots of the Black Hills 77 grain TMK were a little over 1 MOA and the newer lots have turned in some sub MOA 10-shot groups.

Hand load . . .

Factor loads . . .

I think it’s the polymer tip that degrades accuracy.

Doubtful.  Some of the smallest 10-shot groups that I've ever fired from an AR-15 were using polymer tipped 55 grain BlitzKings.

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I’ve got a really good load for 77 TMK’s using XBR. 2750 fps out of a 20” Bartlein, SD around 12 fps for 10 shots. Accuracy is fantastic… that load also shoots lights out in my 16” Proof AR as well.

But this thread is about the 69 TMK and my frustration with poor accuracy when pushing remotely close to the Black Hills velocities!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:25:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Just an FYI, the 69 grain TMK underpentrates.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:43:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DevL:
Just an FYI, the 69 grain TMK underpentrates.

View Quote

So does the 77 when it has too much velocity
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top