Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/21/2019 5:49:32 PM EDT
I had a 16inch carbine Stag Arms rifle (LH)  I decided i was going to change it up a bit, and use a new barrel and take the 16inch barrel for another build.

The 16 inch barrel in both the LH Stag and new Aero build works great with a T2 and Red Sprinco.

The rebuild of the Stag now has a BA Hansen 17.7 inch mid-length.  I have tried it with T1/T2/T3 and White/Blue/Red springs.  If I load 2 rounds, it never locks back on last round, fully seated however.  If I load 3 or 4 rounds, every once and a while it locks back, generally it wont.

I am really not sure why it wont lock back, it shoots fine otherwise, good 4ish ejection.  Its the same bolt catch as I had been using, same magazines etc.  Is it under gassed?  Is my block misaligned? It is pinned but maybe the port is smaller and its just off?
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 5:59:59 PM EDT
[#1]
That's about as clear as mud, OP. I've built more ARs than I can remember, but even a fanatic like me doesn't know about all the different brands and parts out there, so I'm having a difficult time figuring out what you're saying.

Am I understanding correctly that after putting a new handguard on your rifle it's now refusing to lock back, regardless of buffer and spring weight?

When you changed the handguard, did you also change the gas block?

ETA: One way to check gas block alignment, now that you've put some rounds through it, is pull the gas block and look at the ring of carbon around the gas port. That will tell you right away if it's misaligned. In general, though, gas blocks are cut so generous that it would have to be WAY off, like very obviously so, to restrict enough gas to cause problems.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#2]
If I understand, you basically just swapped barrels. Had issues with the bolt locking back. Tried a variety of combos between buffer and spring weights.

My first thought would be gas. As in not enough. I’d check the gas block, tube, and carrier key.

Have you tried running a different BCG, lower, etc to at least try to isolate the issue?

I had an AR pistol recently with a similar issue. Turned out to be a gas block screw came loose and the GB shifted.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Something tells me OP found the problem not long after making this thread.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top