Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/6/2019 11:06:48 PM EDT
It’s a Brownells AR-15 C7 stripped upper receiver with no M4 feed tramps
I bought it because the price was right and not necessarily for building a clone of anything

Thinking of putting a 5.56mm 10.5” or 11.5” on it (1/7 ~ 1/9 twist)

Since it doesn’t have M4 feed ramps...
How limited am I on barrel selection?
What do I look for or stay away from when selecting a barrel assembly?

Thanks in advance for any insight and direction
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#1]
You dont need feed ramps
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 11:48:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 9:17:38 AM EDT
[#3]
You're good.  I have a couple of C7 uppers now, mated to M4 barrels.  They work just fine, with no issues.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 10:32:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Good to know y’all

Conflicting answers when I googled it as I should have gone straight to arf
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#5]
If it bothers you that much, you could use a dremel tool with a cone shaped grinding stone and make your own feed ramps, matching the profile of the barrel extension. Then polish with finer grit.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:15:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good to know y’all

Conflicting answers when I googled it as I should have gone straight to arf
Thanks
View Quote
No problem!  I also have installed a few M4 cut barrels with A2 style non cut receivers with zero feeding issues.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If it bothers you that much, you could use a dremel tool with a cone shaped grinding stone and make your own feed ramps, matching the profile of the barrel extension. Then polish with finer grit.
View Quote
This but I used the dremel to take the bulk material away on low speed, followed by a round file, and the a fine grit sand paper around a dowel.  15 mins and it looked better than some I have bought with the cuts and lined up even better.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:07:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Great! I may just use a Dremel on it if I do experience any feed issues with an m4 barrel if I go that route
Won’t be the end of the world if I do, now that I know I have that option

I’m good with tools, hands are steady and I have a good eye. Plus, I’m usually over confident in my abilities  
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What do I look for or stay away from when selecting a barrel assembly
View Quote
Anything that says Bear Creek Arms, ARStoner, or Radical.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 8:54:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Are these you mentioned, imported or any other reason?

I’d like to stay away from Chinese
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#12]
BCA are hit or miss on QC, AR Stoner is the worst of those three IMHO, Radical is hit or miss... I have some Radical and BCA uppers, all mine are good to go so far, I did have the gas block on a Radical 300blk pistol upper loosen up and make it into a single shot. I pulled the rail and put the gas block on with some loctite and it's fine now.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 7:27:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. But as mentioned, will probably work fine as is, just an option to keep in mind. I've opened up M4 ramps for variant builds with a dremel and a chainsaw file, not difficult.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:11:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
BCA are hit or miss on QC, AR Stoner is the worst of those three IMHO, Radical is hit or miss... I have some Radical and BCA uppers, all mine are good to go so far, I did have the gas block on a Radical 300blk pistol upper loosen up and make it into a single shot. I pulled the rail and put the gas block on with some loctite and it's fine now.
View Quote
My best friend bought a AR Stoner barrel against me saying not to.  Got it installed and ended up getting a gauge stuck in the chamber and had to drive it out with a cleaning rod and mallet.  Upon removal he look in the chamber and all I hear on the phone is "Awwww shit you were right".  He ended sending it back to Midway for refund and bought a Ballistic Advantage barrel on my recommendation and could not be happier.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#15]
AR Stoner = BCA (mostly...’til they sell out of all the Satern barrels).
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 12:52:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Great! I may just use a Dremel on it if I do experience any feed issues with an m4 barrel if I go that route
Won’t be the end of the world if I do, now that I know I have that option

I’m good with tools, hands are steady and I have a good eye. Plus, I’m usually over confident in my abilities  
View Quote
You don't need to do this, I am telling you.

But...post pics when you are done.  We will judge you.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You don't need to do this, I am telling you.

But...post pics when you are done.  We will judge you.
View Quote
Okay, I believe you! Lol

Anyway, I back-ordered the Brownells 11.5” A1 style military carbine assembly 1/7

The 1/12 is in stock but I load m855 too so....

Thanks for all the advice, y’all
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top