Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/3/2024 4:24:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Foundation]
Brownells has come out with their own 20 round Straight Body Dry Film Lube finish mags. The mags are a bit expensive at $17.99 each.

Brownells - 20 Round Mags - Straight Body - Dry Film Lube

Does anyone know or have an idea as to who the manufacturer of these mags is?

ETA: I contacted Brownells and they unsurprisingly will not disclose the manufacturer. Although the Okay tooling was purchased by someone, it does not appear that these current Brownells 20s have any connection to the prior Okay 20s.

Considering that the supply of the Okay 20s is gone, and despite the $17.99 per price tag, I am considering ordering some in order to evaluate how they look, feel, and perform.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Since it says laser welded not hard to make a guess where they came from. I noticed a review of the H&R ones mentioned something about the seem weld instead of spot welds too. Would not surprise me if D&H made them both. Both appear to have the closed rear at the feed lips so I would not think it had much to do with anything that was Okay.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Foundation:
I am considering ordering some in order to evaluate how they look, feel, and perform.
View Quote

Best course of action.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 9:55:37 PM EDT
[#3]
They have sold straight 20s in the past.  I bought a 10 pack maybe 5 or so years ago.  I use them pretty frequently and I have had no issues with them.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#4]
They look the same as previous Brownells 20's, which are slightly different from USGI Okay type.

Minor differences that probably only matter to retro heads or cloners.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 3:10:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Just bought 5 so we'll see. Free shipping and Prime15 code so about $17 each, including tax and shipping.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought 7. Tested 5 of them yesterday with a 6x45 upper and they fed just fine.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Ran 200 rounds thru the 5 I bought  on Sunday. Ran perfectly. Ordered a dozen more that night.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 11:33:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Nehi:
They look the same as previous Brownells 20's, which are slightly different from USGI Okay type.

Minor differences that probably only matter to retro heads or cloners.
View Quote

^^^^^^   true, that.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 7:33:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By FRBaseball:
$17.99 if you’re a sucker. $12.60 if you’re a player. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/116300/IMG_3145-3275211.jpg
View Quote

sucker here! 2 dozen now that I paid full price for.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#11]
They’re definitely different than the old USGI type branded as Colt, Okay, or NHMTG.

The Brownell’s magazines have been around for many years. They were, and if the photos are accurate still are, a two piece body construction with a floor plate that bends to be removed. Same concept as a 30 round magazine.

The originals are a one-piece body only spot welded on the back spine. A piece of spring steel is riveted interior of the front spine and has a foot coming off of it to secure the floor plate by snapping down into a slot/hole.

The latter type was discontinued since they stopped making SureFeed (Okay). I hope someone buys the tooling because they’re great magazines. All of Okay’s magazines, in my opinion, had the most crisp stampings and consistent body dimensions.

Maybe they have improved, but as of about a decade ago the Brownell’s magazines of all types were visibly inconsistent construction and noticeably lesser attention to detail.
Link Posted: Today 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Other posts on this forum said that Center Industries purchased the tooling from Okay magazines (Surefeed) about 2 years ago.  Don't know if they are making any mags for the public.  Do you?
Link Posted: Today 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Bravo_Six:
They have sold straight 20s in the past.  I bought a 10 pack maybe 5 or so years ago.  I use them pretty frequently and I have had no issues with them.
View Quote

+1

Link Posted: Today 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#14]
How do these compare to D&H mags?
Link Posted: Today 6:34:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought a 20 rounder from Brownells a few years ago and was not impressed.  The ASC 20 round SS mags are more my style.  Not as authentic looking, but they allow for a longer OAL, and hold up really well.
Link Posted: Today 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By sigman68:
I bought a 20 rounder from Brownells a few years ago and was not impressed.  The ASC 20 round SS mags are more my style.  Not as authentic looking, but they allow for a longer OAL, and hold up really well.
View Quote

Are those the same as the Midway AR-Stoner branded 20s?
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top