Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/21/2024 1:33:44 AM EDT
So I just bought a new scar 16 and would like to get the best yet also affordable magazines for it, I see the brownells fde mags are 10 for 110 but shk are 10 for 80 or 90 bucks, reviews of both seem good but what do you guys think of these two mags ? I don’t want a p mag and lancer is 2 expensive so any suggestions if these 2 are not what I should get for my scar
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 7:38:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScoutH57] [#1]
Pmag is always the answer if it’s an option.

But to your question, Brownells Magazines are good to go.  Well known quantity, actually still have some I was issued originally via RFI in 2010 and use a bunch regularly

SHK is Korean I believe, may have improved but spotty in the past. I have a few floating around I’ve never noticed issues with.

Not trying to be a smartass but you bought a Scar and are calling Lancers too expensive? Don’t skimp on the parts that feed your gun.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 11:49:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ScoutH57:
Pmag is always the answer if it’s an option.

But to your question, Brownells Magazines are good to go.  Well known quantity, actually still have some I was issued originally via RFI in 2010 and use a bunch regularly

SHK is Korean I believe, may have improved but spotty in the past. I have a few floating around I’ve never noticed issues with.

Not trying to be a smartass but you bought a Scar and are calling Lancers too expensive? Don’t skimp on the parts that feed your gun.
View Quote

This.

Assuming you're using USGI pattern mags, Brownells, Pmags and Lancer are all GTG.  I'd skip anything Korean.  

There's other USGI options as well (like D&H), but you can keep reading the AR-15 subforums.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 12:18:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Small_white_D:
So I just bought a new scar 16 and would like to get the best yet also affordable magazines for it, I see the brownells fde mags are 10 for 110 but shk are 10 for 80 or 90 bucks, reviews of both seem good but what do you guys think of these two mags ? I don’t want a p mag and lancer is 2 expensive so any suggestions if these 2 are not what I should get for my scar
View Quote

Brownells mags are good to go.

My experience with the SHK mags is they have weak magazine springs. When you factor in the cost of replacing all the magazine springs, then they’re not quite the bargain they seem to be. But they do work well once you replace the mag springs with Wolff or GI springs.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 7:09:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SnowCharger] [#4]
Long ago the owner of Battlefield Vegas (a huge gun range that rents guns to tourists) did a huge write-up on here and said Brownells mags were the best; better than even Okay which is mostly considered the gold standard in aluminum mags. That was long ago though; things may have changed.

I have some in my stash but have never shot them. They are thick aluminum just like Okays were while they still made them. If I needed to buy some aluminum mags right now, it would be Brownells.

I'm no expert though.

Link Posted: 8/22/2024 7:41:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SnowCharger:
Long ago the owner of Battlefield Vegas (a huge gun range that rents guns to tourists) did a huge write-up on here and said Brownells mags were the best; better than even Okay which is mostly considered the gold standard in aluminum mags. That was long ago though; things may have changed.

I have some in my stash but have never shot them. They are thick aluminum just like Okays were while they still made them. If I needed to buy some aluminum mags right now, it would be Brownells.

I'm no expert though.

View Quote

USGI mags have outlasted all of the other brands. We use UGSI (Brownell's with tan follower) and on a mag for mag basis, they have outlasted Pmags and a few of the other mags that we get from mfg'ers with new weapons. We don't have to worry about various generations with different weapons like the MR556, SCAR, F2000, Tavor or a couple of others that use AR15/M4 magazines.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/High_round_count_AR_M4_s__over_100_000_rounds__and_how_they_have_handled_on_our_range/118-677135/?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#6]

I'm no expert though.

View Quote

Wow that’s good to hear
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

USGI mags have outlasted all of the other brands. We use UGSI (Brownell's with tan follower) and on a mag for mag basis, they have outlasted Pmags and a few of the other mags that we get from mfg'ers with new weapons. We don't have to worry about various generations with different weapons like the MR556, SCAR, F2000, Tavor or a couple of others that use AR15/M4 magazines.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/High_round_count_AR_M4_s__over_100_000_rounds__and_how_they_have_handled_on_our_range/118-677135/?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

I'm no expert though.

Wow that’s amazing
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top