Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/28/2024 11:00:18 AM EDT
Wanted to ask if anyone had any input / suggestions on how to improve this build-

Rifle is 300 BLK with a 9" BCM upper and an Aero lower.

Buffer tube and spring are what ever the stock is with a complete Aero lower... (website just says ar15 carbine buffer & tube)
(Person I purchased the upper from said they were giving me a Geissele Super 42... but I think they gave me the super 42 packaging tube with some generic stock part (spring is not braided and buffer does not have Geissele stamp...)

Anyway, built this with intent to run it suppressed 100%. And maybe I should just be happy it seems to be cycling fine -

But the cycling annoys me, hard to describe, but the spring compression is very 'tingy' - I can feel it and hear it, and it just feels cheap and not solid -- almost like a toy. TBH, I was surprised it cycled OK.  Havent shot it a lot, but have put about 50rds of 220gr down the tube no issue - except for the one mentioned.
Realizing now, that I never bothered to shoot this build unsuppressed, so not sure if it has same issue w/o can.

I dont run a lot of things suppressed; Sp5 is not comparable, so my main point of comparison is my Geissele super duty -- which feels completely normal and what I would like this to also feel like.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Can btw is Omega 300

Link Posted: 5/28/2024 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Remove spring.  Wipe a thin layer of grease (not oil) on the spring with your fingers.  Reinstall spring. Shoot gun.  See if you like the lack of "sproing".  

You can always go with a silent captured spring, but a bit of grease is way cheaper of it works for you.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 1:02:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Remove spring.  Wipe a thin layer of grease (not oil) on the spring with your fingers.  Reinstall spring. Shoot gun.  See if you like the lack of "sproing".  

You can always go with a silent captured spring, but a bit of grease is way cheaper of it works for you.
View Quote

BTW light amount of grease does work to quiet the "sproing" sound.  I was warned that grease is a dirt attracter, and it sure is.  I cleaned everything leaving a very light coating of grease  on the inside of the extension walls and the spring where dirt and debris does not cause a mess and the spring is still quiet.  Every once in a while you should clean the tube and spring with a rag.  I was surprised that after a few months there wasn't a lot of mess as it was when i had applied a thicker coating.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Surface finish on the RE interior is key. If the machining finish is akin to a vinyl LP then it's going to be noisy.

Replace it with a RE from a reputable source, preferably one that you can inspect it prior to purchasing.  Dry lubed interiors are a bonus, IMO.

Link Posted: 5/28/2024 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I replace the factory buffer springs with the Damage Industries Enhanced Chrome Silicon springs.  They don't change the recoil itself, but will help reduce the noise a bit, especially with a touch of grease, and will have an extended service life.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#5]
twang is a fact of life in an ar.  

grease the spring.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Surface finish on the RE interior is key. If the machining finish is akin to a vinyl LP then it's going to be noisy.

Replace it with a RE from a reputable source, preferably one that you can inspect it prior to purchasing.  Dry lubed interiors are a bonus, IMO.

View Quote

Lol - hate when I feel 'dumb' on these boards...

Sorry, but what is RE? Feel like you are talking about the inside of the Buffer Tube... but not sure
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

grease the spring.
View Quote

I Guess... I mean, thats the same thing my buddy said.  Im by no means an expert, more of a budding hobbyist. At the same time, this is not my first AR. I dont have a ton, but a half dozen. - three of which I run suppressed.
This is the only one with the cheap twang sproing feeling in the tube. With the rest of my rifles, I dont even notice the mechanics going on inside the tube.
And this BLK happens to be the only one I put together. Well thats not true; have a x39 I pieced together. But that isnt really an apple to apple, since its a long stroke PWS upper.

I will try the grease. I can see how that might help with sound, but there is also a 'feel' to it. Idk. Maybe I should just replace the factory tube from the aero complete lower or just go with a JP?

Guess, I will start w/ the grease.

lol - which I should probably have, but I dont. 15 types of oil and cleaner. But no grease other than little packs that come in the trigger kits.

Anyone have a favorite ... maybe 'lighter' grease recommendations?

Link Posted: 5/30/2024 3:10:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmm -- Can anyone decipher this for me. This is what the BCM website says -

"These barrels were designed to run with a H3 buffer with high velocity ammo. If running subsonic ammunition, it is recommended to run your suppressor and a carbine buffer."

This doesnt seem like its a complete thought to me: the 1st half of statement references the weight (h3... vs H2/H1) of the buffer, while the 2nd half references the length of spring (carbine vs ... rifle)

What am I reading / getting confused here...
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 3:19:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I Guess... I mean, thats the same thing my buddy said.  Im by no means an expert, more of a budding hobbyist. At the same time, this is not my first AR. I dont have a ton, but a half dozen. - three of which I run suppressed.
This is the only one with the cheap twang sproing feeling in the tube. With the rest of my rifles, I dont even notice the mechanics going on inside the tube.
And this BLK happens to be the only one I put together. Well thats not true; have a x39 I pieced together. But that isnt really an apple to apple, since its a long stroke PWS upper.

I will try the grease. I can see how that might help with sound, but there is also a 'feel' to it. Idk. Maybe I should just replace the factory tube from the aero complete lower or just go with a JP?

Guess, I will start w/ the grease.

lol - which I should probably have, but I dont. 15 types of oil and cleaner. But no grease other than little packs that come in the trigger kits.

Anyone have a favorite ... maybe 'lighter' grease recommendations?

View Quote

different springs sound different.  flat wire, round wire, braided...

also different stocks sound different to me.  the vibration we perceive as "sound" is conducted through the aluminum buffer extension, then has to be transmitted through the plastic stock.  different stocks contact the buffer tube in different places.

Link Posted: 5/30/2024 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hmm -- Can anyone decipher this for me. This is what the BCM website says -

"These barrels were designed to run with a H3 buffer with high velocity ammo. If running subsonic ammunition, it is recommended to run your suppressor and a carbine buffer."

This doesnt seem like its a complete thought to me: the 1st half of statement references the weight (h3... vs H2/H1) of the buffer, while the 2nd half references the length of spring (carbine vs ... rifle)

What am I reading / getting confused here...
View Quote

Carbine buffer just means the standard 3.0oz buffer with no tungsten weight.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Carbine buffer just means the standard 3.0oz buffer with no tungsten weight.
View Quote

Good to know... IDK why I thought it was either H1/2/3.... amd for some reason assumed h2 was the standard.. with 1 being a little lighter and 3 a bit heavier. I thought carbine was typically a descriptor of the length.
But just searched and saw I was completely wrong. Buffers range from Carbine, H1, H2, H3, Rifle, to Pistol --
Glad I asked - thanks!!

Got. Now their info makes sense. Though, Im guessing that is what was used in the Aero Complete Lower...

So we come back to the spring... and my need for grease!!

OK. Enough rambling. Will order my grease and comeback after I give it a go at the range.

Thanks all!!
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 4:02:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sorry, but what is RE? Feel like you are talking about the inside of the Buffer Tube... but not sure
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RE = receiver extension

Technically the more accurate name for the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

RE = receiver extension

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

RE = receiver extension

Yeah, this.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 9:12:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

grease the spring.
View Quote

Accept it, embrace it, learn to love it
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top