Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2024 1:24:13 PM EDT

I was offered an 8lb container of  CFE 223 at a price which was too good a deal to turn down.  Does anyone here use it ?  if so please post details of your loads.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:35:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I was told it's about the same as AR comp.

I shoot bench rest 6mm br.
It does really good in it but... It's baby powder fine and really sticks to the inside of lubed necks.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#2]
.223, primarily 55 gr. Fiddled with it in 30-30 and .308.  I don't think it's as good as H335 (which it is very close to)
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:59:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: seamasterpro] [#3]
I ended up with a bunch and tested some 55gr loads, I was near max charge and they were almost 400 FPS slow compared to factory ammo, the lower/mid charges wouldn't even cycle the gun. I was testing it out of a 10.3" so maybe its better out of longer barrels? Switched to Power Pro Varmint and it seemed to work as expected.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I had very good results with this and 69SMK in .223.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#5]
my data below by bullet weight for 223 in a 20 in barrel 1-7.5 Rock Creek CLE chamber AR15 HP competition rifle, work up etc.

55's 27.2g-unknown
69's 26.2g-2870fps
77's 25.2g-2790fps
80's 26.0g-2820fps ( 80's loaded long for single load)

practice ammo is 77 seconds at 24.7g in a CLE Krieger 1-7.7. It cant take the 25.2, velocity is 2750fps or so
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Probably would be better to ask here Reloading
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I used an 8lb jug of it and won't touch it again.  Most of the rifle shooting I do is semi-auto and suppressed, and the CFE223 has an extreme ammonia smell that would gas me out in just a few rounds.   If you shoot .223 or .308 bolt rifles you may like it.  It does get good velocities.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:43:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pureblood] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chevrofreak:
I used an 8lb jug of it and won't touch it again.  Most of the rifle shooting I do is semi-auto and suppressed, and the CFE223 has an extreme ammonia smell that would gas me out in just a few rounds.   If you shoot .223 or .308 bolt rifles you may like it.  It does get good velocities.
View Quote

I just shot a few different bullet weights to get a feel for it, the best I got was a 1 inch 5 shot group with 40 grain Hornady V MAX bullets.  and yes it does smell a bit different.  Are you using an AR-15 ?

I will load a range of charges for each bullet weight this evening, but I will probably wait till I get a rifle rest before I shoot them, with any luck I will have one next week.

I have no idea what the velocities are, and I don't really mind, all I'm bothered about is getting good consistent accuracy.

MRX Bison Ranger 16"
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:24:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Pureblood:
Are you using an AR-15 ?
View Quote

Yes.  Even my PSA JAKL gassed me out with CFE223, and I don't find it to be a gassy rifle.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I've used it in .223, .224 Valkyrie, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel and .308.

It is a medium burning rifle powder good for a wide range of calibers.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:46:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been using it in .22 Creedmoor for 62gr and sub loads.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#12]
CFE223 is my go to plinking powder.  It's cheap, usually available, and gives me good velocities without the need for pissin hot handloads.

I also use it for my general varmint hunting rounds.  It gives me the speed as mentioned and good enough accuracy.  It meters extremely well so that's why I am partial to it.

It is temp sensitive so do your load development in the summer.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I’ve used a few pounds of CFE223 in my 6.5 Grendel AR-15’s and Cz 527.   With 120-123 grain bullets 31.0 grains CFE223 is my go to load with Hornady or Lapua brass.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 11:15:45 AM EDT
[#14]
CFE 223 is one of the two main powders used in 6 ARC, the other being Lever.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#15]

CFE223 is #140 on the chart
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By VASCAR2:
I’ve used a few pounds of CFE223 in my 6.5 Grendel AR-15’s and Cz 527.   With 120-123 grain bullets 31.0 grains CFE223 is my go to load with Hornady or Lapua brass.
View Quote

That’s about the same as my go-to grendel load. It really shines in the Grendel, but I’ve also found it does well with copper monolithics in 223/5.56.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:24:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I use it in my 32 Winchester Spc, ironically I don't think I have loaded any 223 with it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 4:05:14 AM EDT
[#18]
It does reduce copper fouling.  
I used wipeout, and for the first time ever did not notice any blue residue at all.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I like it in 5.56 for a Sierra 69 TMK.

After I've shot up all the .338-06 I have loaded with Reloder 17, I plan on giving it a go in that to see how it compares.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:19:20 PM EDT
[#20]
It’s okay for .223/5.56 loads. It shines for me in the 22/250.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I can shoot moa all day using CFE 223 and bulk 55 grainers with this set up.   The rest shows beyond doubt that I'm the weakest link without it.

I have bought a range of bullets for load experiments, but it's difficult to see how I can improve much on what I have already.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:13:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Incredible velocity.

Incredible velocity swings with comically low temp stability. One might even say volatile.

Incredible pressure swings from batch to batch.

Best of all and ironically, besides black powder it'd the filthiest shit you will ever run in your rifle.

Just run 2 mags of CFE223 in a suppresed DI gun. It almost creates a sooty mud thought the recievers, and oozing out in every crack.

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:32:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By campower:
Incredible velocity.

Incredible velocity swings with comically low temp stability. One might even say volatile.

Incredible pressure swings from batch to batch.

Best of all and ironically, besides black powder it'd the filthiest shit you will ever run in your rifle.

Just run 2 mags of CFE223 in a suppresed DI gun. It almost creates a sooty mud thought the recievers, and oozing out in every crack.

View Quote

How many batches have you tried ?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:24:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#24]

I can shoot moa all day using CFE 223 and bulk 55 grainers  . . . 
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:06:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: campower] [#25]

How many batches have you tried ?
View Quote

Can't be sure. I purchased some when it first was released and used it for Hot 308 110 Varmint loads for awile, however it's too spikey to load warm. I've used in 204 Ruger and 5.56 for plinking loads over the years. Two 8lbs jugs from different lots that behaved completely differently, and maybe half dozen or so 1lbs jugs.

To each there own, but this is a product that I can soundly say objectively in regards to suppressed rifles, this is the dirtiest smokeless powder to run. Borderline it should come with a warning.

However great your load is at 70 degrees means nothing, because at 67 degrees you have loat 20fps and your harmonics are completely different.

If you shoot in the same temperature with a unsuppresed rifle this stuff will due in a 20-21 Covid pinch.

Keep your extra 50fps, I'll take my single digit SD/ES and 30fps velocity swing from 20-85 degrees from my stick powders.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I can shoot moa all day using CFE 223 and bulk 55 grainers with this set up.   The rest shows beyond doubt that I'm the weakest link without it.

I have bought a range of bullets for load experiments, but it's difficult to see how I can improve much on what I have already.  

https://i.imgur.com/0w46rEHl.jpg

View Quote

No, you cant.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:00:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pureblood] [#27]
Originally Posted By campower:

No, you cant.

View Quote

Why not ?     1 moa is nothing unusual these days, several manufacturers guarantee 1 moa right out of the box.

TRX BRONCO HUNTER
AN UNCOMPRIMISING HUNTING RIFLE
OVERVIEW
The TRX Bronco Hunter is a utility rifle designed for backcountry carry and hunting.  It is part of Black Creek’s newest line of Bronco bolt action rifles and the answer to a compact, accurate rifle for the ranch, range or backcountry hunt.  The Bronco Hunter is one of very few bolt action rifles that feed from high capacity AR10/SR25 mags, eliminating the requirement for extra mags or loose ammunition.  

The TRX Bronco Hunter uses the two piece, Bronco adaptable chassis system with a 10 inch fore-end. The chassis is made of aircraft grade aluminum and fitted with a folding stock, that captures the bolt handle when folded. When fitted with our patent pending safety wedge, the FSS stock can be made to lock the Safety in the “safe” position, making it unable to fire when the stock is folded.

The TRX Bronco Hunter uses the Black Creek TRX Short action, which can be chambered in .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor. It feeds from double stacked AR10/SR25 magazines and is guaranteed to shoot 1 MOA with suggested commercial ammunition. The TRX action is fitted with a TriggerTech REM700 field trigger, making it one of the smoothest shooting rifles available in its class.

I just bought a TRX BRONCO HUNTER in 308
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:05:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Bought a pound because it was all they had a while back finally used it wasn’t that impressed. Wasn’t as accurate in my gun as 335.

I used it for plinker loads so didn’t matter much but definitely won’t be my first or second choice powder. I used 26.1 for 55 fmj.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By ar15robert:
Bought a pound because it was all they had a while back finally used it wasn’t that impressed. Wasn’t as accurate in my gun as 335.

I used it for plinker loads so didn’t matter much but definitely won’t be my first or second choice powder. I used 26.1 for 55 fmj.
View Quote

What was your gun ?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#30]
OP:
FWIW................. people are skeptical of your comments for several reasons:
-alot of shooters here realize that "bulk 55 grainers" bullets are incapable of "MOA" accuracy.
-some here have had poor experiences with CFE and instead ALOT of shooting shows powders like H335 are better for the light bullets.
-Factories can advertise MOA rifles but it doesn't in any way mean that will actually happen.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:59:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pureblood] [#31]
Originally Posted By TGH456E:
OP:
FWIW................. people are skeptical of your comments for several reasons:
-alot of shooters here realize that "bulk 55 grainers" bullets are incapable of "MOA" accuracy.
-some here have had poor experiences with CFE and instead ALOT of shooting shows powders like H335 are better for the light bullets.
-Factories can advertise MOA rifles but it doesn't in any way mean that will actually happen.
View Quote

I can't help what people think  I can only post my findings.

BTW I use pulled surplus 7.62 bullets and get 1 moa or less with them.

1/2 inch at 100 meters.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#32]

I can't help what people think  I can only post my findings.

BTW I use pulled surplus 7.62 bullets and get 1 moa or less with them.

1/2 inch at 100 meters.

https://i.imgur.com/cBJObCB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Qshl7l3.jpg

View Quote

For how many rounds, 3? Most people here would consider 5 the bare minimum, 10 being a better sample size. Hornady on their podcast talks about how you really need 20-30 to have a statistically valid sample size.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By bluedog82:

For how many rounds, 3? Most people here would consider 5 the bare minimum, 10 being a better sample size. Hornady on their podcast talks about how you really need 20-30 to have a statistically valid sample size.
View Quote

It was four shots with a brand new rifle when I was sighting it in on a brand new gong.   : )       I'm very happy ( overjoyed actually ) with that rifle and the ammo. The powder is also military surplus.    

People can doubt to their hearts content ,  it does not bother me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#34]

It was four shots with a brand new rifle when I was sighting it in on a brand new gong.   : )       I'm very happy ( overjoyed actually ) with that rifle and the ammo. The powder is also military surplus.    

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bluedog82:

Sir:
I have no dog in the fight as they say............. so you do you.  
But if you want to taken seriously in this forum........... and this is supposed to be a technical forum and not GD which is for s%%t talking......
You might do better presenting your results in a better format.  
Some smacks on steel don't tell much.
Atleast actually measure it............    :)

And yes......... throw up a 10 shot group measured properly.............. and then talk smack.  Eh?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By TGH456E:

Sir:
I have no dog in the fight as they say............. so you do you.  
But if you want to taken seriously in this forum........... and this is supposed to be a technical forum and not GD which is for s%%t talking......
You might do better presenting your results in a better format.  
Some smacks on steel don't tell much.
Atleast actually measure it............    :)

And yes......... throw up a 10 shot group measured properly.............. and then talk smack.  Eh?
View Quote

I will do what I like when it pleases me.  OK ?
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top