Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2024 1:39:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MRTEX]
The chrome lining of the bore and chamber extends further into one side of the barrel extension than the other. Will this impede function? This probably the cheapest barrel I’ve bought to date. Never had any problems like this.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 1:53:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#1]
Originally Posted By MRTEX:
The chrome lining of the bore and chamber extends further into one side of the barrel extension than the other. Will this impede function? This probably the cheapest barrel I've bought to date. Never had any problems like this.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/455918/IMG_6816_jpeg-3266449.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/455918/IMG_6815_jpeg-3266450.JPG
View Quote
Possibly due to chamber not being concentric?  Or is that an artifact of the photo?  

If chamber in non-concentric with the bore of the barrel, or if there are any other physical, non-plating "concentricity" issues, then IMHO, an instant UNSAT and I would return the barrel.

If only related to uneven chrome plating, then depends on vendor/mfr return policy and your expectations.

ETA: revised for clarity.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 3:36:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4BlackRifle] [#2]
Impede function? No.   Defective?  No.  

A sign of a lower cost barrel?  Probably.

Cause for concerns or return?  Not really.

If you are worried, check the headspace.

I have an FN barrel and the chrome is barely out of the chamber.  I have another less costly barrel and the chrome reaches all the way out to the lugs.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M4BlackRifle:
Impede function? No.   Defective?  No.  

A sign of a lower cost barrel?  Probably.

Cause for concerns or return?  Not really.

If you are worried, check the headspace.

I have an FN barrel and the chrome is barely out of the chamber.  I have another less costly barrel and the chrome reaches all the way out to the lugs.
View Quote

Agree... if it chambers and shoots, it's a non-issue. I've seen similar on other barrels.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 3:52:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Definitely not an issues as far as the CL is where it’s supposed to be.

Non concentric CL is quite common especially on BCG.

Enjoy your barrel
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 6:29:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the responses. It’s more my trainer beater. If anyone is curious it was one of the Rosco stray dog 16” chrome lined phosphate barrels. Same as the expo arms 16” mid length medium profile barrel. I’ve had good luck with their nitride offerings, hopefully this one is too!
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 9:53:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I've seen similar on the other end of CL barrels.  It is a non-issue as far as function, IMO.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 10:36:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Anode position during plating process.

Non issue as the chamber is plated completely.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Criterion Core that is similar:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top