Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2024 3:40:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: philmeister4]
I recently purchased a new Colt 14.5” SOCOM profile barrel. Put my borescope through it prior to firing and the barrel looks ribbed. This is consistent for the entire length of the barrel.

Normal?

Link Posted: 9/27/2024 4:36:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Big-Bore] [#1]
Looks OK to me.  Those radial ribs are left over from the boring process and certainly, IMO, not anything to worry about.  Remember, bore scopes were made for one reason only, to scare the crap out of people.  People seem to forget that anything magnified 10-50x looks terrible, no matter how refined it actually is.

The picture did not show up for me.  I had to right click on it and open in another tab.
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#2]
How does it shoot?
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
How does it shoot?
View Quote

Always more important than how it looks.
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#4]
How does it shoot?
View Quote

My Job Description includes staring at a bore scope.    

It's fine, go shooting.
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 5:52:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Big-Bore:
Looks OK to me.  Those radial ribs are left over from the boring process and certainly, IMO, not anything to worry about.  Remember, bore scopes were made for one reason only, to scare the crap out of people.  People seem to forget that anything magnified 10-50x looks terrible, not matter how refined it actually is.

The picture did not show up for me.  I had to right click on it and open in another tab.
View Quote

Eggzactly.  A guy can have a .5 moa shooter and then makes the mistake of sending a scope down it.  Now he thinks he's got a turd....

There's been a pile of threads on the subject
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Normal, looks on the better side actually.

Clean, shoot 1, clean, shoot 2, clean, shoot 3, clean, shoot 4, clean with non brass jag. If the barrel gods are pleased by your homage, they will grant you grey patches, match ammo groups <0.4 MOA, and low deviation of velocity before 200 rounds. The throat will smooth out at least.
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 9:10:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#8]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
I never thought to borescope a brand new rifle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
How does it shoot?

Personally I wouldn't unless an issue prompted investigation.

ETA: Honestly,  likely not even then. Replacing a barrel is neither overly costly or difficult.
Link Posted: 9/28/2024 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote
Good to have a baseline. If you find obvious mistakes like chunks of land missing, wayyy off center throat, chip damage and pitting, you don't have to bother with the expense of a range trip.
Link Posted: 9/28/2024 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you everyone for the feedback. The machining marks are unique to that Colt barrel from my others and wanted to make sure that is normal or if I needed to swap it out prior to installing.

I borescoped to get a baseline video made for future cleanings.
Link Posted: 9/28/2024 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By philmeister4:
I recently purchased a new Colt 14.5” SOCOM profile barrel. Put my borescope through it prior to firing and the barrel looks ribbed. This is consistent for the entire length of the barrel.

Normal?

https://imgur.com/a/SxNpkPR
View Quote

actually, that one looks pretty good, for new.
Link Posted: 9/28/2024 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By philmeister4:
Thank you everyone for the feedback. The machining marks are unique to that Colt barrel from my others and wanted to make sure that is normal or if I needed to swap it out prior to installing.

I borescoped to get a baseline video made for future cleanings.
View Quote

As long as you have it....

Take it to the range with you and send it down the tube every 100 rounds or so.  Document the results.  It might be an interesting 'spearamint...
Link Posted: 9/30/2024 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Slow fire 200 rounds through it to smooth things out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top