Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/28/2024 10:54:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 11:30:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Arty8] [#1]
The Wars are over, right?  No one wants to make metal magazines anymore. Everyone used to make them in the past, Brownells even had a contract for M4 mags, I saw them in Iraq.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I would imagine that the M4 will stay around well after Big Army goes with the next big thing, filling the role the M1 carbine used to fill
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 11:40:35 AM EDT
[#3]
A little strange, as the Enhanced Performance Magazine (NSN:1005-01-630-9508) from PM Soldier Lethality branch at Picatinny Arsenal has sent a Force-wide email out basically begging S-4s and Supply NCOs to request orders of these to clear the shelves…

Several years ago, as a Troop Commander, I was able to order a basic load of PMAGs for all of my Soldiers (over 600 magazines) under a similar program.  I’ve asked our state guy to help get this going for all of our downtrace units.   Nice to have options/spare magazines around for training…
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I suppose I must've missed a class or two as I was thinking that the DOD was onboard the Magpul train exclusively.

I like D&H mags.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a fan of D&H too. I hope I can score these in some sort of surplus deal for cheap some day.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#6]
" Before 1997, it was known as LaBelle"
I did not know this, Labelle was top tier back in the day.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Vague:
I suppose I must've missed a class or two as I was thinking that the DOD was onboard the Magpul train exclusively.

I like D&H mags.
View Quote
They could be for supplying other countries. DoD does a lot of that.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By motoguzzi:
" Before 1997, it was known as LaBelle"
I did not know this, Labelle was top tier back in the day.
View Quote

Dates back to 1937.

https://dhmetalstamping.com/our-history/#:~:text=The%20origins%20of%20D%26H%20Industries,Military%20and%20law%20enforcement%20agencies
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 3:25:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#9]
Originally Posted By Make_Mine_Moxie:
They could be for supplying other countries. DoD does a lot of that.
View Quote

It’s only a 2 year contract so I think that’s probably right. It ends before Magpul’s contract too. Surprising Magpul didn’t put in a bid though.

The XM7 is also being fielded now so it will be interesting to see what they do in 2026 when all their AR mag contracts are up for renewal.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#10]
The back and forth stuff/arguments between the gov. and LaBelle when they had a contract was interesting. I think it mentioned they made some for FN back at the same time frame. Can't find it on the net anymore. Used to pop up pretty easy with a search.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#11]
If Okay had lasted a little longer...
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Any chance it would be for 20rd mags instead of 30s? Are 20rd mags even still issued?
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 5:27:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 19Charlie278:
A little strange, as the Enhanced Performance Magazine (NSN:1005-01-630-9508) from PM Soldier Lethality branch at Picatinny Arsenal has sent a Force-wide email out basically begging S-4s and Supply NCOs to request orders of these to clear the shelves…

Several years ago, as a Troop Commander, I was able to order a basic load of PMAGs for all of my Soldiers (over 600 magazines) under a similar program.  I’ve asked our state guy to help get this going for all of our downtrace units.   Nice to have options/spare magazines around for training…
View Quote

Why do they want to clear the shelves?
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Does that mean all the D&H mags I have are now "clone correct"?!
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Great mags. Cool that they're now "official."
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By MallNinja531:
Does that mean all the D&H mags I have are now "clone correct"?!
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 9:03:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll be interested to see if D&H will incorporate the same improvements found in the EPM pattern.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2024 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#18]
That must be about 1-2 million mags....

Link Posted: 7/30/2024 12:33:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By gtsteve03:
Any chance it would be for 20rd mags instead of 30s? Are 20rd mags even still issued?
View Quote

Those went away with Vietnam but lingered along in arms room boxes till purged.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By FedDC:

Why do they want to clear the shelves?
View Quote

I will suggest that IF every company and Bn level supply NCO did a honest inventory of on hand new unissued magazines (old legacy gray ones, new Brown enhanced ones and PMAGS) there would be enough on hand now to refit every Soldier issued a M4.  Cases of new mags linger in almost every supply room and consolidated arms room, yet shitty mags are always issued for weapons qual.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 2:50:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11b4v] [#21]
Weird coincidence. My USAR unit conducted M4 range this past Tuesday, and lo and behold, someone mixed their personal black DH mag in with one of our range mag boxes.  

I wasn’t cognizant of the previously mentioned “laser welded” mag until now, holding this imposter in my hand.

This one is noticeably thinner than the EPM; Colt and FN magwells are loose, and again, I’m wondering if they will adjust their tooling to the newer EPM spec or just roll out what their currently producing for the civ market.  
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 11:42:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 11b4v:
Weird coincidence. My USAR unit conducted M4 range this past Tuesday, and lo and behold, someone mixed their personal black DH mag in with one of our range mag boxes.  

I wasn’t cognizant of the previously mentioned “laser welded” mag until now, holding this imposter in my hand.

This one is noticeably thinner than the EPM; Colt and FN magwells are loose, and again, I’m wondering if they will adjust their tooling to the newer EPM spec or just roll out what their currently producing for the civ market.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/778/IMG_8143_jpeg-3282690.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/778/IMG_8144_jpeg-3282694.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/778/IMG_8145_jpeg-3282696.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/778/IMG_8146_jpeg-3282699.JPG
View Quote

Although it is thinner, do you think it will hold up over time?
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By scottrh2:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gtsteve03:  Any chance it would be for 20rd mags instead of 30s? Are 20rd mags even still issued?

IIRC, a 20 round mag is still issued for one of the M4s on the Apache, though my memory is fuzzy on that from a decade ago.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By bolt241:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bolt241:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/778/IMG_8144_jpeg-3282694.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/778/IMG_8145_jpeg-3282696.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/778/IMG_8146_jpeg-3282699.JPG

It would be interesting to take the guts out of both and weigh the mag bodies by themselves to see how much aluminum D&H is using vs. other established makers.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#25]

I like D&H mags.
View Quote
I still prefer the old standard USGI Mag as well. I have several Magpuls, but I rarely go to them when I'm reaching for Mags.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Interesting. Another poster in the mag thread mentioned the D&H mags were thinner. I'm going to order 10 to use as range mags.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Does the military still consider them disposable?
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#28]
I'll be interested to see if D&H will incorporate the same improvements found in the EPM pattern.  

View Quote
I had the same thought.
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#29]
These will be EPMs?
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#30]
My D&H mags have been good.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 7:18:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Regarding the thickness of the mags in question as compared to the thickness of
other manufacturers mags, it can go both ways.

It comes down to how each stamping die for the respective manufacturer was designed.
If done properly, the die would have been designed & built to the middle of the TDP
tolerance range for the mag (outside dimensions). This would effect mag insertion
ability & overall "slop" once jammed in place.

Did the "thinner" mag mfg'er just switch to a different gauge of AL & simply run the thinner
gauge material in the original stamping die? Maybe; maybe not. Doing so would have an
effect on mag catch engagement etc etc..... Not something a smart manufacturer would do.
All of the corner bends would be off as well, possibly placing many dimensions at the edge
of the tolerance range or even outside of it.

Some of the interior dimensions could get by with being looser or out of range & the mag
would probably have a better chance of acceptable function.

But that is not the correct way to do it. Design the die for the targeted gauge thickness, & stick
to it. You suddenly want to change to a thinner gauge? Tough sh*t..... Design a different die for that
new gauge of material & build it & run it.

It would not surprise me to learn that some middle management bean counter forced a gauge
change in an attempt to save some money, and anyone who questioned the decision got
ignored or shouted down.
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 12:49:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50cal] [#32]

View Quote

We had a connex box in our company area at Bragg that was about 3/4 filled with 18"x18"x18" boxes of Vietnam era 20's and the old  green follower 30's. This was the early '80s.
I have around 30 or 40 20's with the alloy follower from back then.
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 2:42:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Jack_Rackham:
View Quote

Mine have been as well.
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 7:04:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Tim_the_enchanter:
I still prefer the old standard USGI Mag as well. I have several Magpuls, but I rarely go to them when I'm reaching for Mags.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tim_the_enchanter:

I like D&H mags.

Same here.
Link Posted: 9/29/2024 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#35]
I’ve bought a new dozen d&h mags. Never gotten a bad one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2024 9:57:03 AM EDT
[#36]

I wasn't cognizant of the previously mentioned "laser welded" mag until now, holding this imposter in my hand.

This one is noticeably thinner than the EPM; Colt and FN magwells are loose, and again, I'm wondering if they will adjust their tooling to the newer EPM spec or just roll out what their currently producing for the civ market.  
View Quote
I had not seen that new floor plate stamping with the logo.  I have dozens of D&H mags but IIRC the floor plate stamping is just text.  Good mags.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2024 10:21:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4BlackRifle] [#37]
Originally Posted By jebsofnga:

Regarding the thickness of the mags in question as compared to the thickness of
other manufacturers mags  ..........
View Quote

Are you just making up scenarios, or do you have some dimensional data?    

Link Posted: 9/30/2024 11:22:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: watgar] [#38]
Originally Posted By Jack_Rackham:
View Quote

Same here.

*Updated*
Out of curiosity, I weighed some different mags. (Springs and followers were removed, just the mag bodies by themselves):

D&H, 2016, spot welded (blk) = 2.9 oz
D&H, 2024, laser welded (blk) = 2.9 oz
Okay, 2021, spot welded (blk) = 2.8 oz
Okay, 2021, spot welded (grey) = 2.8 oz
EPM, 2019, spot welded, (tan) = 2.8 - 2.9 oz

What does it mean?  I don't know.  They all work fine.
Link Posted: 10/4/2024 8:30:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jebsofnga] [#39]
Originally Posted By M4BlackRifle:

Are you just making up scenarios, or do you have some dimensional data?    

View Quote

Getting some calipers or a wall/tubing micrometer & measuring the mags that were posted above
would be the only way to tell for certain.

Did the poster measure the mags? I don't know. We could always ask him to make sure.

Do I have the dimensional data on those mags? No.

Am I making up scenarios? No, it has happened before in the Die industry, which covers
a wide swath of things used in different applications.

Did it happen on the mags in question? Uncertain at this point. Comparative data based
off of actual measurements is needed.

Could it have happened on the mags in question? That is possible.

Edit: Looks like weights were posted above; The differences in weight could easily be explained
by less/more spot welding material loss. Using different thicknesses of material would show
a greater weight disparity between the mags.
Link Posted: 10/7/2024 1:14:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Another D&H fan.  I bought some mags on sale from PSA, and they were made by D&H
Link Posted: 10/7/2024 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By watgar:

*Updated*
Out of curiosity, I weighed some different mags. (Springs and followers were removed, just the mag bodies by themselves):

D&H, 2016, spot welded (blk) = 2.9 oz
D&H, 2024, laser welded (blk) = 2.9 oz
Okay, 2021, spot welded (blk) = 2.8 oz
Okay, 2021, spot welded (grey) = 2.8 oz
EPM, 2019, spot welded, (tan) = 2.8 - 2.9 oz

What does it mean?  I don't know.  They all work fine.
View Quote

Material from the mill can vary as much as +/- 5% in thickness and still be considered as meeting the materiel thickness call-out on a print.     Spot welding and laser welding, done correctly, neither adds nor subtracts base metal.

I have some really old GI mags, including Adventureline, a Sanchez, and a couple of Coopers, but I would have to drag them to work to weigh them.  

D&H has manufactured mags for lots of companies and nobody has ever complained about receiving a thin one.
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 3:27:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Reminds me of something that happened to me a few years back, but a different issue.
I bought 10 Aluminum Brownells 20 rnd mags. When doing a function test on them, they would
not feed a round. I tried them on 3 different lowers & they would not feed on any of them.

Brownells was good to their word & refunded me full price - I liked that!

I could probably buy the same type mags again from Brownells this month & not
have a single problem with any of them functioning.
Link Posted: 10/19/2024 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Picked up a couple today compared to my okay they are very similar date stamp and all.
Link Posted: 10/19/2024 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By ar15robert:
Picked up a couple today compared to my okay they are very similar date stamp and all.
View Quote

Link?!?!?!
Link Posted: 10/20/2024 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By GoGo:

Link?!?!?!
View Quote

they were at a local store near me in az.they dont sell online i as there a couple weeks ago they had alot yesterday just a few in bin left.
Link Posted: 10/20/2024 12:33:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GoGo] [#46]
Pix would be neat if you have the time.  I imagine they will start showing up on the secondary market anytime.
Link Posted: 10/20/2024 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#47]
I was blessed to get some HK Maritime magazines while I was in thanks to a unit that was leaving.

Best magazines I have now and I wasn't authorized to turn them in so I brought them home.

Still have 8 of those magazines.

heavy but reliable.

Link Posted: 10/20/2024 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Pix would be neat if you have the time.  I imagine they will start showing up on the secondary market anytime.
View Quote

I’m leaving in wrap til I decide what to do with them. Have plenty of okay and colt.

But from seeing then they appear to be everything of okay wouldn’t hesitate to buy more. Went by today got that last three of them. They are stamped 2021 though which I found odd. But like said they look very good.
Link Posted: 10/20/2024 9:12:53 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

I picked up some 20 round mags that are new D&H production from a local store, the 30 rounder’s were sold out. I Have some older spot welded D&H from 06’-12’.  If I can get logged in to my Imgur account I’ll post some comparison pictures of the old and new D&H with some 2020 okay mags.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top