Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/3/2024 10:11:12 PM EDT
Hi,

So how do I know if a used Bushmaster XM15-E2S is pre-ban or post-ban?  I am asking for a buddy.

Its S/N starts with BF, and I have read that if it is below L051000 then it is pre-ban. But he posted it on armslist, and some very agressive person claimed that it was post-ban, and flagged his post (he had listed it as pre-ban, which he believed) Also, it seems to have a flash hider (I could not figure out how to add an image without sticking in on the web somwhere).

Fortunately, after my buddy validated himself to the moderators as not just a veteran, but a former West Pointer (he showed a 1981 letter of recommendation from the Commandant ; he suffered a chronic injury on the Army Wrestling team and was medically discharged) -- and a retired STEM professor to boot -- they quickly unflagged and bumped it.  But he wants to be sure.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 7/3/2024 10:22:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MisterPX] [#1]
If your buddy lives in ID too, no such thing as pre or post ban rifles anymore.   Magazines are a thing, but only if they wantnto sell to MD.

The only added value would be the Bushmaster name.  But we're talking like $50 at most to the right buyer.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 10:31:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#2]
L063000 and lower are PRE BAN = Pre Sept. 1994

L063001 and higher are POST BAN = 1994-2006
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 10:58:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MisterPX:
If your buddy lives in ID too, no such thing as pre or post ban rifles anymore.   Magazines are a thing, but only if they wantnto sell to MD.

The only added value would be the Bushmaster name.  But we're talking like $50 at most to the right buyer.
View Quote

The idiot that flagged him as a scammer claimed that pre-ban ones sell for 2-4X more, so with his low price he assumed (quite confidently) that my buddy was a scammer.

So, then, a pre-ban version of said rifle is basically worth the same as a post-ban one, it seems.  Thanks for the scoop.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 11:18:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Pre ban values died in SEP 04.

This said as someone who sold all his preban stuff that summer and was surprised that the scarebears bought it all for beaucoup bucks.

Still, if you/they have pre Sep 94 mags, you can get double the cost of new magazines.  Rifles have no added value.
Link Posted: 10/1/2024 7:38:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SemperGumbi] [#5]
The Maine built Bushmasters came in two different serial number ranges. One starts with “L” and the other starts with “B”. The story back then was they got lowers from two different vendors and alternated between them. There are slight differences in the roll mark between the two vendors as well.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top