Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/29/2022 10:42:56 AM EDT
I have stayed away from most non-5.56 ARs for the most part.  But now that I am reading about the military's adoption of a 6.8 M5 it has me wanting one.

I convienced myself that if I could find reliable magazines for the 6.8 at Academy Sports or any big box store like you can 5.56 and 308, then I would move forward with a 6.8.  But I haven't been able to find any on the shelf.

Still I find myself wanting one.  

Anybody care to share why or why not.  

TIA
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 10:58:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I want one too, it's a neat cartidge for what it is. The LWRC six8 is badass.

Ammo brings me back to reality Even before pandemic/biden prices shit was expensive.

75ish grain 5.56 loads what I need.

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 11:11:04 AM EDT
[#2]
For starters, the new “military 6.8” isn’t 6.8 SPC, it’s a different, much larger cartridge.  So if your thought process is eventually finding plentiful, cheap ammo because it’s being produced en masse for .gov, you’ll need to reevaluate.

New 6.8 Sig cartridge is all the way to the left, 6.8 SPC is second from right.

Outside of that, I don’t see any reason not to if you want it.  Reloading will make things quite a bit more affordable if that’s a concern.  I’m more of a 6.5 Grendel fan, but there’s nothing wrong with 6.8.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For starters, the new “military 6.8” isn’t 6.8 SPC,
View Quote

Well thanks for that valuable info...I need to read up on this more
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 11:36:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
For starters, the new “military 6.8” isn’t 6.8 SPC, it’s a different, much larger cartridge.  So if your thought process is eventually finding plentiful, cheap ammo because it’s being produced en masse for .gov, you’ll need to reevaluate.

https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-6557219fa4fbea8cf4ae4cda9baca563-lq

Outside of that, I don’t see any reason not to if you want it.  Reloading will make things quite a bit more affordable if that’s a concern.  I’m more of a 6.5 Grendel fan, but there’s nothing wrong with 6.8.
View Quote

Why is that? B.C. of 6.5 > 6.8 presumably?

I ask because I'd been thinking about a new barrel for an upper, now I'm buying parts for a whole new build lol.  However, it occurred to me to consider an alternative caliber since I never really have and this new rifle will be 99% banging steel.  A lot of information out there but I'm leaning towards 6.5G.  This is a good topic to discuss.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 11:51:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 3:43:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't have a problem finding 6.8 spc or reloading supplies.

The 6.8 SPC is cheaper than 6.5 G. Factory ammo is very similar in price, 6.8 bullets and brass are a lot cheaper, both have unique brass so price only matters, 6.8 uses .277 bullets which are way easier to find.

I like my 6.8- its very accurate and flat at a 200 yds zero. Just order Magazines.

I would stay away from the LWRC mentioned- they have their own magazine that is proprietary to their gun unlike all others.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#7]
The only magazines I have found locally were ASC magazines. They function OK, throwing up a double feed now and then. Not too annoying at the range and just plinking, but not something I would want to deal with constantly or out in the field hunting.

PRI makes the best magazines for 6.8 SPC, no jams ever whether it be FMJ or soft-point hunting ammo. I have a few that I purchased just for hunt/range use, 5 and 10 rounders. I have a few of the 25 round ones as well, I just never use them. Ordered all of them from Cavityback Bullets... which is also a great resource for 6.8 reloaders.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The only magazines I have found locally were ASC magazines. They function OK, throwing up a double feed now and then. Not too annoying at the range and just plinking, but not something I would want to deal with constantly or out in the field hunting.

PRI makes the best magazines for 6.8 SPC, no jams ever whether it be FMJ or soft-point hunting ammo. I have a few that I purchased just for hunt/range use, 5 and 10 rounders. I have a few of the 25 round ones as well, I just never use them. Ordered all of them from Cavityback Bullets... which is also a great resource for 6.8 reloaders.
View Quote

I hink the 6.8 SPC is an excellent cartridge, Small Arms Solutions really likes them.  I have been researching this cartridge for a number of years now and I do waht one.

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 3 6.8's. One of them being a pistol.  I bought a bunch of Barrett mags when they had the Christmas sale a few years ago. They had them half price at $18 each. I have 25 of those and 15 or a little more of the C Products  that PSA had made with the PSA for plate. Zero problems with those.

I've Ben buying 6..8 reloading components when I happen up on them from various places. Was lucky to get a lot of brass in the last few years from anywhere from 20-25 cents per piece. Brass is quite a bit higher now.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 8:11:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I ask because I'd been thinking about a new barrel for an upper, now I'm buying parts for a whole new build lol.  However, it occurred to me to consider an alternative caliber since I never really have and this new rifle will be 99% banging steel.  A lot of information out there but I'm leaning towards 6.5G.  This is a good topic to discuss.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-6557219fa4fbea8cf4ae4cda9baca563-lq

I like 6.5 projectiles, they’re slightly better for my intended usage (distance target shooting), and it works well with the same powder I use for my heavy OTM 5.56 loads.  It also helps that 6.5G seems to have become more mainstream while 6.8 SPC seems to have died off a bit, although that happened well after I made my choice.

My only real complaint is magazine reliability has been a bit hit or miss for me.  ELanders, ASC, doesn’t matter, I’ve tried most of them and I’ve experienced failures.  

They both have their pros and cons, just up to you to decide what works best for your situation.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 8:12:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I hink the 6.8 SPC is an excellent cartridge, Small Arms Solutions really likes them.  I have been researching this cartridge for a number of years now and I do waht one.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is fun to shoot, and does what it is intended to do..... Kill medium game and be scary accurate. I get right around 1 moa with Federal Fusion 115 gr factory loads. Hornady SST is a slightly larger group. I had a bunch of the Silver State Armory 110 gr Accubonds that were just under an inch as well. (Shot all of those up unfortunately). S&B FMJ loads are pretty good just for putting holes in paper.

I do need to get into handloading.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Fuck yes, get a 6.8SPC

. . .or the 6.5Grendel

despite the Kool-Aide drinkers, they are about equivalent at 400 yards.

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the perfect rifles for the 6.8 SPC, LMT MRPs....LMT has been out of stock on the 6.8 SPC conversion kit forever....

That 6.8 Hybrid Fury looks like a beast, expensive and I basically dont want any part of it
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 9:57:36 PM EDT
[#14]
6.8 is an awesome caliber for the AR15. However price and availability of 6.8 ammo makes it less than ideal. You can build a AR10 in 308 and ammo will be more available and cheaper. Plus 308 is more powerful!! Of course for full-auto the 6.8 SPC is more controllable, but I doubt you'll want to do mag dumps with as expensive as the ammo costs. I've been shooting my AR10 more lately.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:00:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I am a huge 6.8 SPC fan.  I have 2 that we use for deer hunting.  Excellent deer round if you keep it under 200 yards and handloading helps a lot.  These are both 14.5".  I have also ran them out to 600 yards a decent amount with 115 gr matchkings.  Takes some elevation to get out there, but it is a very accurate caliber overall.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:06:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Even brass (and primers) are hard to get in this caliber, bullets for reloading it not so much.

Finding ammunition and paying the inflated price right now will definitely play hell on your budget.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:23:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't have a problem finding 6.8 spc or reloading supplies.

The 6.8 SPC is cheaper than 6.5 G. Factory ammo is very similar in price, 6.8 bullets and brass are a lot cheaper, both have unique brass so price only matters, 6.8 uses .277 bullets which are way easier to find.

I like my 6.8- its very accurate and flat at a 200 yds zero. Just order Magazines.

I would stay away from the LWRC mentioned- they have their own magazine that is proprietary to their gun unlike all others.
View Quote

This! I really like the 6.8 SPC for hunting. If just plinking, I would stay with 556.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I own a few 6.8SPC AR's  all are really accurate some more so than others but all are 1.5MOA or less.

The most accurate are the early Noveske barreled  uppers.These rifles are under 1MOA with the 90gr federal surplus rounds and my reloads.

I've taken 8 whitetail with the rifles I own and several Coyotes.

The longest whitetail harvest was 252yrds in a pretty good crosswind,DRT with a neck shot.This BTW was a PSA rifle with a 16'barrel free floated with a DD rail.

PRI magas have NEVER had any issues and reloads can be a bit longer.

6.8SPC is a very viable medium to longish range (400yrd or less) round.

The platform is easier to carry than my AR 10's so they get out to play more often

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top