Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 6/16/2024 10:36:38 AM EDT
Do you keep your magazines loaded? If yes, 30rds, 29rds, 28rds?

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, with 30 rounds.

The majority of my PMAGs I store unloaded.
The 8 or so I have loaded I just assume their feed lips will eventually degrade at some point.
These are the ones in my plate carrier and in vehicles.

USGI aluminum mags are better for long term loaded storage, but I like using PMAGs better (because their bottom is more comfy) so that's what I use. I do have a bunch of aluminum GI mags also.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
Yes, with 30 rounds.

The 8 or so I have loaded I just assume their feed lips will eventually degrade at some point.

USGI aluminum mags are better for long term loaded storage, but I like using PMAGs better (because their bottom is more comfy) so that's what I use. I do have a bunch of aluminum GI mags also.
View Quote

Im kinda in the same boat. I only have PMAGs so I keep 1/2 loaded with 28 and the other 1/2 empty just in case
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:22:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#3]
60/40 split.

With the minority loaded to capacity.

I've had fully loaded Pmag M2s stored for a decade+ w/o the dust covers perform flawlessly.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:34:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, an empty mag is like a rock, only lighter. Load em up.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, with 30 rounds.

View Quote

Originally Posted By osprey21:
Yes, loaded to max capacities according to the mag.
View Quote

Originally Posted By tacomabob:
Yes, an empty mag is like a rock, only lighter. Load em up.
View Quote

I keep a lot loaded to max cap.

I have many more empties in reserve,
yearning to be filled up.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Ambridge77:

View Quote
Fill em up!  It would give you an excuse to purchase more ammo.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a vicious cycle, buy a bunch of mags on sale, find ammo on sale and buy a case or two, load the mags and put them away, find another mag sale, rinse and repeat.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:37:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#9]
The problem with filling them all up is they wouldn't still be able to be stored in their original cardboard boxes of 100 mags, or on the same type of shelf. They're also immune to any form of feed lip tension, and dust, as they sit.

Likewise, bulk ammo is also easier to store (and transport) in its original shipping container.

But I do keep enough loaded mags around to fire hundreds of rounds without getting into any of that.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 4:20:53 PM EDT
[#10]
The problem with filling them all up is they wouldn't still be able to be stored in their original cardboard boxes of 100 mags, or on the same type of shelf. They're also immune to any form of feed lip tension, and dust, as they sit.

Likewise, bulk ammo is also easier to store (and transport) in its original shipping container.

But I do keep enough loaded mags around to fire hundreds of rounds without getting into any of that.
View Quote

Sooooo, multiple 100 mag boxes?  I mean, yeah I got that many too lol.  Totally.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By cubie:
Fill em up!  It would give you an excuse to purchase more ammo.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 6:30:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I keep them loaded.  I tell myself new mags will stay in the packaging but I end up loading them up anyway.  I have a sand colored pmag from 2010 that has been loaded for several years I should take it next range trip to make sure it still works.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:07:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I keep 1 MP5 mag at 29, to carry condition 3.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By FrankW134:
View Quote
If you can't do it with 30 then you've got a bad mag.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#15]
The only empty magazines I have are still new in the "wrapper."  Didn't buy them because I needed them right away.  Bought them to have for some day I hope never comes.

I sure hope the newer mags don't go bad when you leave them loaded.

I've got M1A magazines that have been loaded since 1978/79 except for when they get unloaded at a range.  Same for the old surplus 1911 magazines.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

None of my HK mags will lock in on a closed bolt with 30.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 1:34:53 AM EDT
[#17]
None of my HK mags will lock in on a closed bolt with 30.
View Quote
All of mine will. (This includes HK, MKE, and KCI mags.)
Are you sure you're only putting 30 in them? (If you're just 1 round over, it won't work.)

It's a more difficult insertion (due to the increased force required in order to compress the 30 rounds against the closed bolt) but if the mag contains 30 or less it should absolutely work.

I also have some 15 and 20 round capacity mags and they too can insert under a closed bolt.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 1:04:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Efl15] [#18]
Yes. All magazines and clips are loaded. 30 rounds in 30 rd AR magazines.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 11:46:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a fat 50 can loaded with 28 mags. 14 pmags with 30 rounds and covers and 14 aluminum mags with 28 rounds. Just the way I was taught in my youth.
Also have 1200 rounds on stripper clips in case I need to fill the empty mags
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Ambridge77:

View Quote

Same, loaded to capacity (20/30)  Many empty in reserve.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 8:13:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:

Sooooo, multiple 100 mag boxes?  I mean, yeah I got that many too lol.  Totally.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/th-463.jpg
View Quote

I don't use cardboard boxes but wooden footlockers or wooden ammo crates.  Holds weight better.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 8:35:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Sad. Even the 10-round crowd is staying out of this thread.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 8:43:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Probably 25 or 30 loaded to 30. Beyond that it's all packaged as it came.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 8:45:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 8:56:27 AM EDT
[#25]
My range mags can vary from 5rds to 20 rds mostly.

My defensive mags are 30.

Link Posted: 6/21/2024 9:05:56 AM EDT
[#26]
I carry my complete gun collection with me to the range every time.

All mags loaded at all times.

With hollow points.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 9:07:31 AM EDT
[#27]
No. Please.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 9:48:29 AM EDT
[#28]
No.  I store mags empty in Rubbermaid tubs. Ammo is in sealed cans with dessicant.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#29]
As with all things, there is a happy medium. Unique to one's intentions.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#30]
30 rounds in p-mags, 28 rounds in usgi mags. I keep around 30 mags loaded and those are spread amongst a PC, a chest rig, primary gun belt, primary “trunk monkey” bag, and then a few sprinkled around the house, vehicles, etc..

I have around 20 range mags that get loaded up before a shoot.

The rest in the cache stay unloaded in storage.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 10:54:49 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a handful of mags loaded for my home defense rifle. They are loaded to 30.

Beyond that, no. I might load some ahead of a match or range trip but typically most are empty.  

It is easier for me to keep track of the ammo (bullet weight, powder, year loaded, etc.) if I store bullets and mags separately.

Plus, my approach to mags is to have enough that when I die, my kids can divide the mags between them, shoot as much as they want, and never wear out all of the mags. Generational wealth so to speak.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 11:15:18 PM EDT
[#32]
I've got about 70 GI aluminum mags, six (6) are loaded to 30 rounds. I keep a GI aluminum twenty in my carbine.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 9:05:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#33]
Yes, with 30 rounds.

View Quote

What he said. I have about 10 range mags and the rest in wrappers.  I've stopped buying,  given how long they last.

Grabbed a bunch of 20 rounders for landowners that sit loaded, too😝
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 10:05:09 AM EDT
[#34]
I keep a bunch loaded (30) and probably that many more new in wrapper. USGI and Magpul.

Several loaded Lancers for the 300 SBR.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By fastluck13:
I have a handful of mags loaded for my home defense rifle. They are loaded to 30.

Beyond that, no. I might load some ahead of a match or range trip but typically most are empty.  

It is easier for me to keep track of the ammo (bullet weight, powder, year loaded, etc.) if I store bullets and mags separately.

Plus, my approach to mags is to have enough that when I die, my kids can divide the mags between them, shoot as much as they want, and never wear out all of the mags. Generational wealth so to speak.
View Quote
Same.

I have a number of metal mags loaded. The Pmags I have loaded have the dust covers on them just in case. If anything pops off, I'll load several more.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 7:39:55 AM EDT
[#36]
I voted Yes, 30 rounds.

That downloading crap is nonsense I don't care if you're a navy seal or any other super, duper operator if the mag holds 30 load 30.
I have 100, 30 round mags loaded and all but 13 stored in USGI ammo cans. If you can't insert a fully loaded mag with the bolt forward either hit the gym or open the bolt.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Liechtenauer:
I voted Yes, 30 rounds.

That downloading crap is nonsense I don't care if you're a navy seal or any other super, duper operator if the mag holds 30 load 30.
I have 100, 30 round mags loaded and all but 13 stored in USGI ammo cans. If you can't insert a fully loaded mag with the bolt forward either hit the gym or open the bolt.
View Quote

Never been done.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 11:39:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#38]
I do, but not all of them. The ones I do have loaded are loaded to the full capacity of 30 rounds. At the moment I have 12 Gen 2 PMAGs and 12 Gen 3 PMAGs loaded and stored in ammo cans, and they've been in there for maybe 2 years without the dust covers. I also had 12 Lancer L5AWMs loaded and stored, but I've shot through most of those and only have 3 left that are loaded. I also had 15 Beretta (steel) ARX/AR mags loaded and stored, but I shot through all those.

I have a bunch of Okay mags to load up and store once I get through the rest of the Lancers and the PMAGs. All my mags are in rotation so nothing gets overly used. Once I get through all the Okay mags the cycle will start over again.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 12:19:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Pmag 30
USGI 28
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 10:16:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3-gun] [#40]
I have a couple of fat 50 cans loaded with half pmag , half gi. P mag 30 with cover, gi 28. 1k m193 on stripper clips.
Probably over kill, but nice to have.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 4:15:48 AM EDT
[#41]
All mags loaded all the time. An empty magazine is useless. 

What happened to the other thread on this subject with three times the number of posts?
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 4:21:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#42]
Generally no.  One or 2 defense mags is about it.  

But there is no detriment to loading them up fully nor leaving them such.  Someone posted a detailed 1 year scientific study.  Found it didn't matter.  Mags lose spring tension from being loaded, down to their natural set point - and then basically stay there.  They all do, and get there pretty quickly.   30 vs 28 doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 7:53:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Do the Pmag dust covers mitigate feed lip stress? I bought a bunch.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 11:38:25 AM EDT
[#44]
I have no idea how, when or why I got my “ rule” but I put a load a dozen new mags for every rifle ( or pistol now) I add. No rhyme,  no reason just what I do.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 1:49:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raffy] [#45]
I keep most of my 30 rounders loaded to full capacity.  I have a few empties for spares and to take to the range.  

BTW, there are NO issues to keeping mags fully loaded as far as the magazine spring is concerned.  The springs are designed to not yield under a full load and there is no issue to storing them that way.  What will eventually deteriorate a spring is repeated loading and unloading.  Similarly, there are no issues for the feed lips on metal (aluminum or steel) magazines.  

I understand the concern over feed lip creep on polymer magazines.  That may be a thing if the mag is stored for 10 or more years fully loaded.  But you should see cracks on the feed lips first either before or after unloading that mag (say, at the range).  If you don't see any cracks, it should shoot and feed just fine.  The better quality polymer mags (e.g., Pmag, AWM, etc.) should do quite well when stored fully loaded.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top