Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2024 5:22:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spleenless-Dave]
I was looking around online and saw on a few sites that it has a chromed barrel, gas key and bolt carrier, but some also said in their info blurb about the rifle that some had melonite barrels, some had chrome.  I assumed that was just all encompassing info covering all the M&P15's so I thought I'd ask on here before biting the bullet on the purchase.  I did a search and couldn't find anything on that specific model on here.

Thanks for any info, I appreciate the help.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I can find it is a 4140CM 1/9 chrome lined armonite finish.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:
From what I can find it is a 4140CM 1/9 chrome lined armonite finish.
View Quote

That's what I found on a few sites, plus it's supposed to have a chrome lined gas key and bolt carrier group.  I called S&W customer service and they couldn't even find anything on the gun from the model number.  

Thanks Edgecrusher!
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:30:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tiribulus] [#3]
A guy who was in the know told me a couple years ago that S&W sources their BCGs from several outfits, including Toolcraft and Microbest. At least that's he said and he was an older guy who'd been around the industry for decades.

I'm not sure about that model number you have there, but I had an M&P Sport II and the barrel was nitrided, probably 4140.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#4]
811000 is a SKU #.

As stated, vendor ad descriptions are all over the map.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:07:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
811000 is a SKU #.

As stated, vendor ad descriptions are all over the map.

View Quote

Yeah, that sku number brought up the same gun on countless sites, all showing the same pics.  I gave the S&W guy that number and the UPC but he couldn't find anything.  I couldn't find anything on their site when I had looked before.  Seems like it would be in there as a discontinued item at least.  It surprised me that their customer service couldn't pull anything up.  Here's the info I found on several sites...

Model: M&P15
Part Num: 811000
UPC: 022188127294
Mfg: Smith & Wesson
Caliber: 5.56 mm NATO / .223
Action: Gas Operated Semi Automatic
Capacity: 30 Rounds, 5.56 mm or .223
Overall Length: 35″ Extended / 32″ Compacted
Stock: 6-Position Telescopic
Forend: Thermo-Set M4 Handguard
Sight Length: 14.75″
Barrel Length: 16″
Barrel Twist: 1 in 9″
Weight (No Mag): 6.74 lbs.
Trigger Pull: 7 lbs. (approx.)
Upper/Lower Material: 7075 T6 Aluminum
Barrel Material: 4140 Steel
Chromed Components: Barrel Bore, Gas Key, Bolt Carrier
Receiver and Barrel Finish: Hard Coat Black Anodized
Front Sight: Adjustable Post
Rear Sight: Adjustable Dual Aperature
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Got it.  Fit and finish is really good on it, and while I liked the Sport II I had, this definitely looks and feels better made, at least to me.  One thing was odd was pics of these showed forge marked carry handles, and what I got had no marks at all.

I have a repro Colt scope I should dig out and try out on it.      

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top