Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/18/2020 9:51:41 PM EDT
Looking at the drill press jigs it seems like someone could make one.

I mean it wouldn't have all of the contour of a standard lower, but would probably work.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 10:00:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I think that is called a vise
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The older jigs that were sold by The Tannery Shop were as close to that as you were going to get. They are LONG gone!
View Quote

I have one of those and it will probably get you from maybe 40%.  There are still a while bunch of operations necessary to get a 0% forging or casting up to an 80% that it doesn't accomodate.

Link Posted: 11/18/2020 10:51:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think that is called a vise
View Quote

Lol

But that would require the use of math and stuff

It just seems like someone could include a few different plates you switch out to get it done.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 11:09:06 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

You want to use a drill press to mill a 0%er?
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 11:11:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Lol

But that would require the use of math and stuff

It just seems like someone could include a few different plates you switch out to get it done.
View Quote

Look at an 80% lower and all the milled areas that are already done.  There are quite a few of them.

The old CNC Machining jigs that the Tannery Shop sold for the old style 80% lowers will probably handle 10-12 of them.  There are still at least a dozen more that it doesn't facilitate.

It is certainly true that someone could made additional jigs for all of those things.  But I don't think it would be just a couple more plates, it would probably be several whole individual jigs.  The operations that would need to be done are on completely different surfaces.

If you're really interested I could make up a list of what the old style jigs can do and what would still need to be done.  I'd have to sit down with the jigs and an 80% lower and work it all out.

Link Posted: 11/18/2020 11:16:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You want to use a drill press to mill a 0%er?
View Quote

That would be a horrible tool for most of the operations that need to be done.  Like decking the top surface of the lower?  Truing the rear surface where the buffer attaches?

Jigs could be made to do those things with a router, but even that isn't really the best for doing large surfaces.

Link Posted: 11/18/2020 11:52:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 8:25:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I mean it wouldn't have all of the contour of a standard lower, but would probably work.
View Quote

I am pretty sure Bridgeport makes one.

For the budget minded you have Enco.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I am pretty sure Bridgeport makes one.

For the budget minded you have Enco.
View Quote

Or if you are on a budget like mine, Grizzly or Harbor Freight.  

I'd have to clear out enough room in the garage first though.

Link Posted: 11/19/2020 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Or if you are on a budget like mine, Grizzly or Harbor Freight.
View Quote

I have the Grizzly mini-mill and think it is capable, but the process would be waay over my head, ha.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That would be a horrible tool for most of the operations that need to be done.  Like decking the top surface of the lower?  Truing the rear surface where the buffer attaches?

Jigs could be made to do those things with a router, but even that isn't really the best for doing large surfaces.

View Quote

IKR?  I couldn't even imagine it.  Dude probably has a Harbor Freight mini too, ha.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 12:05:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 12:12:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

IKR?  I couldn't even imagine it.  Dude probably has a Harbor Freight mini too, ha.
View Quote

I have one of those 8" HF drill presses someone gave me.  It is barely adequate for drilling holes.

I also have one of the big beefy HF drill presses.  It is much sturdier and tighter and more precise than the low end one.  It is pretty adequate for most hole drilling.  But I still would never consider using it for milling a lower.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 12:14:56 PM EDT
[#15]

0% from "billet" polymer?  Some people like to do things the hard way!

Link Posted: 11/19/2020 1:00:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

0% from "billet" polymer?  Some people like to do things the hard way!

View Quote

the lower was glued up from plastic cuttingboard stock before the templates were glued on and the drill press hogging started

Link Posted: 11/19/2020 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#18]
My Zero Percent Project and after all that work, it lives life under my can cannon.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Found a 0% jig for you.......

But the price of 0% receivers is quite high, not to mention hard to find these days.

Link Posted: 11/19/2020 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

the lower was glued up from plastic cuttingboard stock before the templates were glued on and the drill press hogging started

View Quote

Where did you get the templates?
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My Zero Percent Project and after all that work, it lives life under my can cannon.
View Quote

Impressive and nice work. But I was thinking something like take a chunk of aluminum or wood or whatever and make a lower.

Of course i guess getting a CNC mill might be the only way.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Could be done on a manual mill, just more work & figuring out how to hold things,
especially if it doesn't have a DRO.
About the only thing special you would need is the tap for the buffer tube thread.
But without some formal training, just buying a milling machine, will most likely end in scrap.

I suggest to everyone that wants to get into making their own parts, firearm, automotive, etc.,
is to find some local vocational school that offers basic machining courses, and take a couple of semesters,
and buy some quality measuring tools.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Impressive and nice work. But I was thinking something like take a chunk of aluminum or wood or whatever and make a lower.

Of course i guess getting a CNC mill might be the only way.
View Quote

I'd say from a billet would be easier.  From a raw forging, it only looks like the basic shape. Nothing is flat, straight or square.
Got to about the middle of page 3 on my link above.  I made a trigger jig.  Wouldn't take much more effort  to make a functional lower
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Where did you get the templates?
View Quote
Not my project it was up on the old weaponeer website but the pdf receiver blueprint files were available here on arfcom's library

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top