Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/2/2024 7:29:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragynn]
Mods: If it's okay. i'm also going to start a thread in the handgun CZ section that just points to this thread, as I feel CZ guys like me will definitely be interested.

This is the Driven Arms SCG (Shadow Crossover Grip), modeled after the CZ shadow pistol and it's grip shape. I have been a fan of that grip shape since I first tried a Tanfoglio pistol some 35 years ago, I still have a Tanfo as my EDC. I was excited when Magpul first brought out the K2 grips, as the indent in the web area has some similarities to CZ-style grips. I wound up and used them for both my AR's and my AK's as a result and have been basically content.

So i'm late to this party, as this company has been making these for at least a year. They also make a steel frame grip for the AR that takes CZ Shadow grip panels, but at a hefty 95 dollah price those didn't fit my blue-collar budget, lol. The molded grips are still pricey at 39.95 plus 2.95 for the endcap that makes them useful for storage, I was going to pass, but my wife saw me drooling over them and went behind my back and ordered me one each of the AR and AK grips plus endcaps. Yep, i've got an AWESOME woman!

Grips are a collaboration between Driven Arms and MK Machining, and made not just of cheap ABS, but nylon filled polymer, very sturdy. The grip has some angle correction, 16 degrees so a hair better than the K2's 17 degrees. The level of sculpting in this grip is just insane as you can see from the pics. Somebody spent a lot of time thinking this through. I have talked to people at the company and they are super cool, responding to e-mails within minutes at times, and eager for any feedback from users.

There are two different types of checkering, I got one of each and both work great, Apex and Atom, the Atom is more aggressive for gloved hands but is still comfortable in my bare hand, the Atom is just perfect for the bare hand, still grippy yet comfy.

This is in every respect, the most perfect AR grip I have ever tried, and in my 50 years of shooting I have tried dang near every one. Fits my size XL hand great, and even works fairly well for my wife with her size XS hobbit hands, lol, so if you’re size small to X-large you should be GTG. Hand placement is intuitive and instant when doing slung-to-shouldered drills and dry fire, the grip basically forces my hand into the correct position without me having to adjust or think about it. The fit is snug but not so much that you need to beat on it to install. The fitment of the beavertail is perfectly snug and smooth to the curve of the receiver with no gaps (as it should be). The lines and texture and checkering are top notch and very very clean. This is an extremely well-thought out and brilliantly executed product.

It's not often somebody makes a product that makes me an instant fanboy, those who know me know i'm an old hardass, but these guys knocked it out of the park, so it was worth a little work typing all this stuff up, I really want to support new, innovative, and solid design like this.

Bottom pics are my K.I.S.S. middy with grip installed.

https://drivenarmsco.com/product/shadow-crossover-grip-scg/

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Never thought I'd stumble on a "CZ75 grip ergonomics in an AR" thread but color me interested.

The SP01 is without a doubt the most comfortable pistol I've held. The grip shape is absolutely perfect...I'd be curious to see how that carries over to a long gun.

Currently using a mix of BMC Mod0, Mod1, and Reptilia grips without much complaint.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:24:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spydercomonkey] [#2]
So cool, I'm very interested as I love the CZ grip angle, and this also is aesthetically pleasing.

They also have grip storage with $3 floorplate addition, which is crucial for me:

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:56:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought there was another version floating around that actually took CZ 75 grip panels. Do love a good CZ grip especially with my Armanov grips.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I like it!
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:35:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Joedirt199:
I thought there was another version floating around that actually took CZ 75 grip panels. Do love a good CZ grip especially with my Armanov grips.
View Quote

There is, same company makes it, metal grip that takes CZ grip panels, pricey as hell though, but it was a guy who bought one that actually turned me on to the company and I found these which were more budget friendly for poors like me, lol.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
So cool, I'm very interested as I love the CZ grip angle, and this also is aesthetically pleasing.

They also have grip storage with $3 floorplate addition, which is crucial for me:

View Quote

Ditto, bought 'em for mine, hoping on future editions that they just include 'em.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:11:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 135Patriots:
Never thought I'd stumble on a "CZ75 grip ergonomics in an AR" thread but color me interested.

The SP01 is without a doubt the most comfortable pistol I've held. The grip shape is absolutely perfect...I'd be curious to see how that carries over to a long gun.

Currently using a mix of BMC Mod0, Mod1, and Reptilia grips without much complaint.
View Quote

Completely agree on the SP-01 grip, and I'll definitely pick up at least one of these. It even comes in ODG!

Kind of makes you wonder why nobody thought of it before.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:02:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Idk why they made them only so much thicker than the actual cz shadow grip. I wish they made a smaller version. That drove me away from ordering one.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By NewWind:
Idk why they made them only so much thicker than the actual cz shadow grip. I wish they made a smaller version. That drove me away from ordering one.
View Quote

They make an aluminum version that takes Shadow 2 grip panels

https://drivenarmsco.com/product/cz-shadow-2-grip-adapter-ar/
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:05:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Would be cool if I could insert a CZ mag into for a spare storage
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Luny421:

They make an aluminum version that takes Shadow 2 grip panels

https://drivenarmsco.com/product/cz-shadow-2-grip-adapter-ar/
View Quote

Yep, it was guy posting on another forum with that grip that led me to these guys. Admittedly that's the super-cool way to go, especially if you're into slimmer grips instead of palm swells. But even my wife with her hobbit hands said she could comfortably use the one we have though it isn't optimal for her.

If you have medium size hands or larger I think it's gonna work well for you. But yeah, am bugging them currently to make a small for version for her sake, hard to find a good AR grip that small, I forgot what she has on her rifle now, it was some obscure brand that's super small, have to go pull it from the safe to remember.

@NewWind
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:
Would be cool if I could insert a CZ mag into for a spare storage
View Quote

On a PCC that uses CZ mags, holy crap that would be cool! You'd probably run extended mags normally on the PCC, but my CZ/Tanfo mags for my pistol are 19 rounders and that would be danged handy having a spare right there in the grip.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:31:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Loving this grip the more I mess with it, gonna try to get out to the range tomorrow. They also have this other grip I was checking out, out of stock right now. Looks funky as hell, but the more I look at it, the more sense it makes. Really gets jiggy with angle correction, I may have to try one.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

Yep, it was guy posting on another forum with that grip that led me to these guys. Admittedly that's the super-cool way to go, especially if you're into slimmer grips instead of palm swells. But even my wife with her hobbit hands said she could comfortably use the one we have though it isn't optimal for her.

If you have medium size hands or larger I think it's gonna work well for you. But yeah, am bugging them currently to make a small for version for her sake, hard to find a good AR grip that small, I forgot what she has on her rifle now, it was some obscure brand that's super small, have to go pull it from the safe to remember.

@NewWind
View Quote

I just don't know why you'd make a "shadow" are grip that's ~24% wider than an actual shadow grip (which is about 1.14" at the widest). Hell, it's wider than the regular k2 (1.2") and the k2 xl (1.34"). It's just kinda really big. I don't find the k2 xl unusable, but it certainly isn't as comfortable for me as more average style AR grips. Idk, just seems weird to make it so much bigger than the actual shadow grip.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:09:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
Loving this grip the more I mess with it, gonna try to get out to the range tomorrow. They also have this other grip I was checking out, out of stock right now. Looks funky as hell, but the more I look at it, the more sense it makes. Really gets jiggy with angle correction, I may have to try one.

https://i0.wp.com/drivenarmsco.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/VCG-L-Side.png?resize=680%2C680&ssl=1
View Quote

I’ve got a couple of these, with and without the beaver tail. I like them. A little pricey for what it is but…

Their Shortstop has become my favorite handstop and has replaced my Magpuls and Arisakas.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:46:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By NewWind:

I just don't know why you'd make a "shadow" are grip that's ~24% wider than an actual shadow grip (which is about 1.14" at the widest). Hell, it's wider than the regular k2 (1.2") and the k2 xl (1.34"). It's just kinda really big. I don't find the k2 xl unusable, but it certainly isn't as comfortable for me as more average style AR grips. Idk, just seems weird to make it so much bigger than the actual shadow grip.
View Quote

I hear everything you're saying man, but i'm telling you, in practice it doesn't feel any wider than the K2 at all, all the extra width is in the palm swell and it tucks right into your hand.

Haven't tried the K2 XL, I have looked at it and thought about it before, as I mentioned I have big hands.

Grip is likely too much for size small hands, they do make a fairly similar grip though that's specifically for smaller hands, the ULCG, that's the one they recommended for my wife with her small hands, probably be the next one I buy, it's sits somewhere between the SCG and the VCG in design/angle, it's ~10 degrees of angle correction and very similar in shape to the Shadow-type grips.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Luny421:

I’ve got a couple of these, with and without the beaver tail. I like them. A little pricey for what it is but…

Their Shortstop has become my favorite handstop and has replaced my Magpuls and Arisakas.
View Quote

That's high praise, i've got a couple of Arisaka products and they're first rate stuff.

Yeah I may try that beavertail version of the vert grip next, got to get the wife one of the small grips first though.

Agreed on the price, wish these were closer to 30 bucks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:07:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone have a comparison to a fat Ergo? I have Ergos on several ARs and my daughter likes the Ergo on hers also.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top