Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/28/2024 9:01:23 PM EDT
I now little to nothing on eotch sights besides looking at them or elsewhere. When looking to make a purchase is there anything to look out for. I may be completely wrong but is there certain years to stay away from. Also with the warranty is it passed on to new buyer. I assume newer the better.  Thoughts on 512/518 or xps/exps models. Ty for your time n info
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:03:50 PM EDT
[#1]
If you buy from a legitimate retailer you don’t have to worry about it

There’s also a ton of Chinese clones out there
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ScoutH57:
If you buy from a legitimate retailer you don’t have to worry about it

There’s also a ton of Chinese clones out there
View Quote

So I am taking a chance buying from the site unless its a reputable seller.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:12:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#3]
https://www.eotechinc.com/help-center/warranty-information#posthws

ETA: Email Eotech and they will confirm/deny authorized commercial sellers.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:36:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Long discontinued... run away at any used no matter how cheap the early model using "N" size batteries. The batteries are hard to find which cost too much, and battery life was in hours less than one digit with a powered down life of not much longer.

I had two and when Eotech did the buy back when units had a zero shift in cold environments... at full retail before they realized that program could run them into bankruptcy! I was fast enough to get my full check for both!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:14:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I've used an XPS and EXPS for a few years and love them. The battery life isn't great, but that's alright. I especially like the EOTech for NV use.

There's a ton of alternatives that have better battery life or various reticles as well. When I purchase another optic, it'll likely not be another eotech. That being said, I love mine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By CJ47:
I've used an XPS and EXPS for a few years and love them. The battery life isn't great, but that's alright. I especially like the EOTech for NV use.

There's a ton of alternatives that have better battery life or various reticles as well. When I purchase another optic, it'll likely not be another eotech. That being said, I love mine.
View Quote

You kind of get into EOTech knowing the holographic sight advantage has the battery penalty or trade off.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:

You kind of get into EOTech knowing the holographic sight advantage has the battery penalty or trade off.
View Quote

Agreed but my exps3 is still my favorite optic. Just so fast for me and the 5x flip magnifier is awesome as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By jmt1271:

Agreed but my exps3 is still my favorite optic. Just so fast for me and the 5x flip magnifier is awesome as well.
View Quote

My $0.02 flip magnifiers are for me acceptable with the EOTech/holographic sights reticle but man they suck with the red dot optics.  I am not a fan of the flip to side magnifiers honestly I kind of hate them but if I had to do it I would pair it with an EOTech/other holographic sight.  The clear defined dot of the holographic sight just works with a magnifier but the red dots that often times I see as a comet or slightly starburst just gets exacerbated with a magnifier.  That is just the nature of the beast that is red dots versus holographic sights.  You choose great battery life measured in years, with the chance of not a perfect dot and blued lens over 9 times out of 10 clear defined reticle of the holographic sight, a larger sight, and not the greatest battery life which I cannot leave on for years.  If battery life is not your concern holographics are great but most everyone knows that going in that is the penalty.  Same with red dots most people know the penalty for choosing the red dot.
I do kind of regret getting rid of my XPS 2-2 it worked so well with the two dots.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:33:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OlympicArmsFan] [#9]
Two years ago I went on an optic buying spree. I wanted at least one holographic sight. My choices were Eotech and Vortex UH-1. I was also on a budget at the time and the Eotech 512 fit the bill. I really like it and my eyes like it too. I also now own a Vortex UH-1 and love that optic as well.

The Eotech 512 can be found under $500 at times. Order from trusted sights. If you buy on the used market get the serial number and ask Eotech if it’s legit. Get lots of pictures too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you all for the info. I will shop around at local stores or trusted sites for a good price. First go put my hands on them and give a good fingering.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
https://www.eurooptic.com/eotech-holographic-sights.aspx

Great vendor. Give them a look.
View Quote

I second them. Always have great deals.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:16:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By OlympicArmsFan: The Eotech 512 can be found under $500 at times.
View Quote

The Eotech 512 can be found under $400 at times.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CJofFL:
Originally Posted By OlympicArmsFan: The Eotech 512 can be found under $500 at times.

The Eotech 512 can be found under $400 at times.

Correct. I missed typed. I meant under $400. I picked mine up for $359.99. Great optic at that price. No complaints with mine.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By OlympicArmsFan:

Correct. I missed typed. I meant under $400. I picked mine up for $359.99. Great optic at that price. No complaints with mine.
View Quote

@OlympicArmsFan

Did you ever get your battery issues resolved?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#16]

@OlympicArmsFan

View All Quotes

@OlympicArmsFan

I am checking my optics every three months and I just checked it two days ago with the same rechargeable lithium batteries and they were fine. So, it may have been a problem with the two batteries that I had used. I have a reminder set to check them again this week. I think it was just the battery itself and not the optic. I need to get some actual lithium batteries and put in them and see what happens.

I kind of want another 512 for my AK to replace the Holosun HS515GM.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#17]

I am checking my optics every three months and I just checked it two days ago with the same rechargeable lithium batteries and they were fine. So, it may have been a problem with the two batteries that I had used. I have a reminder set to check them again this week. I think it was just the battery itself and not the optic. I need to get some actual lithium batteries and put in them and see what happens.

View Quote

I figured it was a battery issue.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:34:27 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

I did charge those batteries and put them in another optic and they are working fine in that one. I wonder if I had a full charge on it to begin with. Either way, I really like the 512. It fit my budget and gave me the opportunity to try a holographic sight without hurting my wallet lol. I may get one for my AK. I like the way it looks on them and the field of view versus the Holosun HS515GM is so much better too.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:

View Quote

No argument here - like I said, I love my EOTech. I've run the LP1s a decent amount, and for me, for an always on optic, the battery life outweighs the holo reticle. I like both, but I can also get the LP1 for a decent amount less. If they were the same price, it'd be a harder choice.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:58:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: La26] [#20]
I have a 518 on my SRT/Patrol rifle. Love it. I use the Energizer lithium batteries in it, and change them on July 1st and January 1st religiously. I have never had the batteries go dead. Prices of the lithiums is getting crazy. Last purchase was $14 for four at Wal Mart.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:08:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Castillo] [#21]
Def look at an EOtech reticle before buying

It’s a love/hate reaction. For me, I don’t like laser/holo optics. But many love them.

Edit: if you want a eotech reticle but with better battery life and crisp LED reticle, look at L&S LP-1
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top