Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/24/2024 12:13:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: magnumdeke]
Looking for a longer than normal 6 position buffer tube to get my 10.5 pistols over 26”
What’s out there?
While retaining my current carbine buffer and spring
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 12:41:53 PM EDT
[#1]
A5 tube with a spacer?

A5 Spacer
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 3:43:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#2]
Originally Posted By magnumdeke:
Looking for a longer than normal 6 position buffer tube to get my 10.5 pistols over 26”
What’s out there?
While retaining my current carbine buffer and spring
View Quote

You will need about another 2", as 12.5" uppers have no problem making length.

I went with a 9" round tube and a clamp on pistol brace, which has the same internal length as a 6-pos tube.  

There is this one but it's more than I needed.

Just saw this one, and I think it will be close.  I might have to get one to see ordered one.  It will require a spacer to use standard internals, tho.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a couple of rifle length spacers for Jo silent spring system that should be able to work with some tinkering
I still have a dose of vapor lock on what tube to get
Planning on using the HR blade
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By magnumdeke:
I have a couple of rifle length spacers for Jo silent spring system that should be able to work with some tinkering
I still have a dose of vapor lock on what tube to get
Planning on using the HR blade
View Quote

I just recently saw one of those.  I like it, kinda like a CQB stock.

I should have the JRC tube in a couple days and will put it on my 5.56 to measure.  If it makes length there is no reason to go longer, unless you are built like Larry Bird

What to do with the extra internal space has me thinking of maybe mod'ing a rifle buffer to work with the carbine spring.

Link Posted: 7/2/2024 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Update:

Extended buffer tube arrived and it will make the number.  On my 10.5" 5.56 the OAL is just a hair under 26.5"

Pic is with an SBA-3 fully collapsed, 11-1/2"ish LOP

All the way out you get about 14" LOP with that brace.  The fit is a bit sloppy, but not a whole lot worse than with the SBA tube.  

If you are looking to get legal, this JRC extended buffer tube will get you there.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 9:34:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
Update:

Extended buffer tube arrived and it will make the number.  On my 10.5" 5.56 the OAL is just a hair under 26.5"

Pic is with an SBA-3 fully collapsed, 11-1/2"ish LOP

https://i.imgur.com/vFO0VuV.jpg

All the way out you get about 14" LOP with that brace.  The fit is a bit sloppy, but not a whole lot worse than with the SBA tube.  

If you are looking to get legal, this JRC extended buffer tube will get you there.
View Quote

@s4s4u

Did you have to install the rubber spacer in your buffer tube as it says on the JRC website?
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 1:52:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Rubles:

@s4s4u

Did you have to install the rubber spacer in your buffer tube as it says on the JRC website?
View Quote

I haven't finished putting that lower together.  I mocked up the tube and that is how it currently sits.  I had hoped to finish it up this weekend but ran out of time.  I planned on cutting the "tail" off of a rifle buffer to mimic a carbine buffer + 1.5", but if that doesn't pan out will just shim behind the spring.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

I haven't finished putting that lower together.  I mocked up the tube and that is how it currently sits.  I had hoped to finish it up this weekend but ran out of time.  I planned on cutting the "tail" off of a rifle buffer to mimic a carbine buffer + 1.5", but if that doesn't pan out will just shim behind the spring.
View Quote

Ah, got it. When you get it done let us know how it works. I'm subbed to the thread as I also want to build a 10.5 that's over 26.5" as a "firearm".
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Ah, got it. When you get it done let us know how it works. I'm subbed to the thread as I also want to build a 10.5 that's over 26.5" as a "firearm".
View Quote

Can someone please explain the 26" rule pertaining to an AR pistol? I've researched but still confused, lol.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 4:51:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ArizonaAR:

Can someone please explain the 26" rule pertaining to an AR pistol? I've researched but still confused, lol.
View Quote

I believe, Federally, you can attach a vert grip to a "pistol" if it's over 26.5", don't quote me on that. My motivations, and probably most others in MI, are different, tho. In MI, if a "pistol" is over 26.5" it isn't actually a pistol according to the state and is just a firearm, precluding it from being required to be registered with the state as pistols are kept in sales registry. Yeah, it's a weird law.

So in MI:

26.5" and under = pistol
Over 26.5" not a pistol, just a "firearm"
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 10:16:20 PM EDT
[#11]

I believe, Federally, you can attach a vert grip to a "pistol" if it's over 26.5", don't quote me on that. My motivations, and probably most others in MI, are different, tho. In MI, if a "pistol" is over 26.5" it isn't actually a pistol according to the state and is just a firearm, precluding it from being required to be registered with the state as pistols are kept in sales registry. Yeah, it's a weird law.

So in MI:

26.5" and under = pistol
Over 26.5" not a pistol, just a "firearm"
View Quote

Thanks for that. Another question: Who are the morons that make these laws?
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 8:17:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ArizonaAR:

Thanks for that. Another question: Who are the morons that make these laws?
View Quote

Well, you answered your own question, ha!
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 10:01:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m200maker] [#13]
Try Just Right carbines. I just ordered a 8.5 BT and they shipped pretty fast. $40

Tube
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 12:10:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#14]
Originally Posted By m200maker:
Try Just Right carbines. I just ordered a 8.5 BT and they shipped pretty fast. $40

Tube
View Quote

Brilliant minds think alike, great suggestion.  Scroll up a few posts  
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top