Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 20 of 45)
Page / 45
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By plinker8:

Keep us posted
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By plinker8:
Originally Posted By TheTallest:
I emailed them. We'll see what they say.

Keep us posted

Will do.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Andromax:
Yeah I wanted to pick up another lower a few months ago. Keep checking GB even.. complete rifles occasionally at steep mark ups. Bummer.

I haven't heard anything back from FightLite in any emails I've sent them, about the SCR or their nifty 22/45 replacement barrels/receivers
View Quote

This is disheartening to read. I guess they don't like money.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:56:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SCRowner] [#3]

amazing how rumors can create garbled facts.

obviously with national elections and becoming more an more clear that we have stone cold lost the key balance on the supreme court, will now have at least 12 years of anti-second ament appointments to the hundreds of federal appeals and districtict courts, that he senate is likely lost, with California's new laws,  and NY Attorney general promulgating rulings that NY state FFLs could not bring new rifles that use AR-15 parts, and with a certantly that several state legislatures will be lost,  there has been a massive run on SCR which has always been a relatively small production prodcut

This is AR15 dot com. there a hundred of companies making AR15 lowers so even with increased demand there is a lot of elasticity. [prices rise but there is not total choke in availability of AR15 (yet).

In contrast there is one company making SCR in one small facility, and they are obviously massively backordered. they have not stopped making them.

Just call them. They are still making them. There has been massive demand and huge backorders drying up any inventory that had been at retail, with  distributors or even gunbroker.  Call fightlite/areas, and a) learn that they are making them and they will be taking direct orders again in a few weeks, or get a contact with one of the distributors who will tell you which retail FFLs have an upcoming allotment.

Just call them to get the straight dope at 321.242.8410

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:19:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Andromax] [#4]
I don't think anyone really doubted they were still making them, but the fact remains they aren't currently, and haven't been for some time, available. I would certainly NOT advocate paying GB prices for what is being sold at the moment.
They really should be capable of answering emails.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 8:14:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 11:08:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BgBmBoo] [#6]
Here in CA the SCR has gained a LOT of interest due to the onslaught of anti gun laws. I use mine primarily for coyote hunting and it fills that role very nicely.

Here are a couple of dirt napping song dogs posing with my SCR/Gibbz/Proof Reseach:

image hosting 10mb limit
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:42:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Excuse me if I missed the answer in the past 39 pages...

I hunt with a 6.5 Grendel.  California has laws on the books that are soon to go into effect that are going to further cripple my hunting rifle.  I like AR15 and AR10 platforms because I can build and modify them myself easily and they can be made to shoot just as well as many precision bolt guns.

Anyway, my 6.5 Grendel has served me well and I just picked up an Ares SCR lower receiver.  I use my forward assist on my hunting (ar15) rifle to chamber a round slowly and with less noise than just letting the charging handle fall free.  After I purchased the SCR I realized that I could no longer use my forward assist.

I am interested in a side charging upper.  Is there any side charger that will work with the SCR bolt that can be used to finish locking the bolt (IE. used as a forward assist)?

Ares should make a bolt with serrations in it so that at least the last few millimeters of the bolt could be pushed into battery with a traditional forward assist.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:56:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: K1rodeoboater] [#8]

Originally Posted By SCRowner:

obviously with national elections and becoming more an more clear that we have stone cold lost the key balance on the supreme court, will now have at least 12 years of anti-second ament appointments to the hundreds of federal appeals and districtict courts, that he senate is likely lost, with California's new laws,  and NY Attorney general promulgating rulings that NY state FFLs could not bring new rifles that use AR-15 parts, and with a certantly that several state legislatures will be lost,  there has been a massive run on SCR which has always been a relatively small production prodcut

This is AR15 dot com. there a hundred of companies making AR15 lowers so even with increased demand there is a lot of elasticity. [prices rise but there is not total choke in availability of AR15 (yet).

In contrast there is one company making SCR in one small facility, and they are obviously massively backordered. they have not stopped making them.
Just call them. They are still making them. There has been massive demand and huge backorders drying up any inventory that had been at retail, with  distributors or even gunbroker.  Call fightlite/areas, and a) learn that they are making them and they will be taking direct orders again in a few weeks, or get a contact with one of the distributors who will tell you which retail FFLs have an upcoming allotment.

View Quote

FWIW when I called a few months ago (august maybe) the part in red is what was echoed to me and a "tentative" timeline of November-December was given to me over the phone by their sales/distributing rep.  

<ETA> They were having a problem with emails not going through to them.  I never got a response so I called and left a message.  Got a call back within 3 days.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 5:13:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Andromax] [#9]
Originally Posted By StoneTower:

I am interested in a side charging upper.  Is there any side charger that will work with the SCR bolt carrier that can be used to finish locking the bolt (IE. used as a forward assist)?

Ares should make a bolt with serrations in it so that at least the last few millimeters of the bolt could be pushed into battery with a traditional forward assist.

Thanks.
View Quote

I think that if it had serrations on it, they wouldn't be far enough back to really allow you to get the bolt locked with it. Never tried it obviously so just a guess.

I think that if you drilled and tapped the ares BCG for use with a reciprocating style side charger this would more or less be a workable solution for you.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 6:51:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:

FWIW when I called a few months ago (august maybe) the part in red is what was echoed to me and a "tentative" timeline of November-December was given to me over the phone by their sales/distributing rep.  

<ETA> They were having a problem with emails not going through to them.  I never got a response so I called and left a message.  Got a call back within 3 days.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:
Originally Posted By SCRowner:

Hopefully this is true. It'd be nice to get one before Hitlery bans everything. (FHRC!!)
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 8:22:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#11]

I think that if it had serrations on it, they wouldn't be far enough back to really allow you to get the bolt locked with it. Never tried it obviously so just a guess.

I think that if you drilled and tapped the ares BCG for use with a reciprocating style side charger this would more or less be a workable solution for you.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StoneTower:

I am interested in a side charging upper.  Is there any side charger that will work with the SCR bolt carrier that can be used to finish locking the bolt (IE. used as a forward assist)?

Thanks.

Just what I was going to say on both accounts.  The important serrations on an AR are the ones furthest back on the carrier.  That's the part that is cut off on the SCR carrier.

A reciprocating side charger is pretty much your only option.  Purchase an upper with the correct cutout (possibly even reinforced for it) and then drill and tap (or have it done by someone who knows that they are doing) the SCR carrier for the handle.  Since the front half is all AR carrier, this shouldn't be any problem.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 9:28:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By TheTallest:

Hopefully this is true. It'd be nice to get one before Hitlery bans everything. (FHRC!!)
View Quote

It is just Hillary. The Dems will almost certainly take the Senate meaning Hillary will appoint more further left -- not just  SCOTUS --  but the hundreds of federal and appeals judges in four years.

there are 866 total Presidential appointment to the fed bench and by the time Hillary ends her fourth year 600 of those 866 will  will be appointed by her, her husband or Obama.

And look at page 4 of this:

http://www.mass.gov/ago/public-safety/assault-weapons-enforcement-notice.pdf

SCR has both an AR "magazine Port"  and AR 15 charging handle. Two AR-15 parts make it illegal to newly sell in Ma.

With no legislation, just the stoke of a pen, the Ma..AG made sale of any new Ares SCR by an Mass. FFl 100% illegal..

If you bought yours you are OK. Now knowing LOTS of AGs can do this, why on earth would you not buy a couple of Ares lowers if you live in North East or Cali, or the large pats of the country where such things can happen and will happen more and more?

That is why not only was there a run on SCR, but it is likely most of the ones being produced now are going to go fast

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By BgBmBoo:
Here in CA the SCR has gained a LOT of interest due to the onslaught of anti gun laws. I use mine primarily for coyote hunting and it fills that role very nicely.

Here are a couple of dirt napping song dogs posing with my SCR/Gibbz/Proof Reseach:

<a href="https://postimg.org/image/n3igc4puz/" target="_blank">https://s17.postimg.org/5q85x9ujz/DSC01728_Copy.jpg</a>image hosting 10mb limit
View Quote

Is that the vx6 1-6x? What reticle did you get? What height rings are those?
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm shocked no other company has gone a similar route.

The patent can't be so broad as to exclude any other non PG lower.

Can it?
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 8:41:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#15]
Originally Posted By chapperjoe:
I'm shocked no other company has gone a similar route.

The patent can't be so broad as to exclude any other non PG lower.

Can it?
View Quote

Maybe the Blackstar will come out of mothballs ...

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 9:56:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 8:57:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#17]
For anyone that has done a SPR/DMR type (heavy profile 18"-20" barrel, bipod, etc) SCR, do you find them more unbalanced (front-heavy) than their AR-based cousins?

Also, relating to a discussion above, has anyone done a reciprocating charging handle on an SCR?  If so, who did the work (drilling/tapping the carrier, etc) and how did it work out?
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 8:46:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: coldblue] [#18]
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 10:47:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#19]
Thanks, ColdBlue.  Yours was definitely one of ... scratch that ... two of ...

... the ones that I was thinking of.  I put a Harris bipod and Vortex 2.5-10x44 PST on my pump-action upper (ASA upper, Geissele Mk4, 14.5" + FH Voodoo barrel, aluminum pump carrier) and dropped it on my factory lower (my second SCR) to start to judge the weight. It seemed very front-heavy for reloading.

Is the Boyds' Plainsman heavier and thicker than the factory stock?  I find the factory grip to be too narrow compared to my walnut straight stock and some extra weight on the back would be helpful?

Do you know what the weight of your barrel is?  I've looked at one ranging from a little over 2 lbs to around 3 1/2 lbs.  

I'm trying to decide if I go with built-tough typical SPR parts or switch to lighter-weight components for most everything except the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 12:28:50 AM EDT
[#20]
For you poor bastards behind the lines, ProMag has a flush fit 10 rounder.  It'll still hang out of the Ares, but won't have that giant plastic floorplate.

http://promagindustries.com/ar-rifle/82-ar-15-223cal-10rd-flush-fit-blue-steel-magazine.html

I get ProMag has a terrible reputation, but I've got a 10 round 1911 mag & a 5 round AR mag, and haven't had problems w/ either of 'em.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 1:23:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
For you poor bastards behind the lines, ProMag has a flush fit 10 rounder.  It'll still hang out of the Ares, but won't have that giant plastic floorplate.

http://promagindustries.com/ar-rifle/82-ar-15-223cal-10rd-flush-fit-blue-steel-magazine.html

I get ProMag has a terrible reputation, but I've got a 10 round 1911 mag & a 5 round AR mag, and haven't had problems w/ either of 'em.
View Quote

What's the benefit to a flush fitting mag?  We aren't required to have tiny mags, it's just capacity that matters.  Plenty of shops will block standard cap mags and jut call the finished product 10/30 mags.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 8:24:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By geoint:

What's the benefit to a flush fitting mag?  We aren't required to have tiny mags, it's just capacity that matters.  Plenty of shops will block standard cap mags and jut call the finished product 10/30 mags.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  For you poor bastards behind the lines, ProMag has a flush fit 10 rounder.  It'll still hang out of the Ares, but won't have that giant plastic floorplate.

It won't be flush fitting on an Ares, just won't have that big plastic floorplate.  For the SCR, purely a cosmetic thing.

For a regular AR, it can be handy to have a flush fitting mag sometimes.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#24]

It won't be flush fitting on an Ares, just won't have that big plastic floorplate.  For the SCR, purely a cosmetic thing.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  For you poor bastards behind the lines, ProMag has a flush fit 10 rounder.  It'll still hang out of the Ares, but won't have that giant plastic floorplate.

I really like the Lancer AWM 10 rounders appearance -wise in my SCR. Gonna pick up a couple 20s, too.

Side note- anyone able to find any lowers for sale lately?
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

Nope, been looking every day to see one pop up.  Need one for a new build
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 7:36:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Castillo] [#26]

I really like the Lancer AWM 10 rounders appearance -wise in my SCR. Gonna pick up a couple 20s, too.

View All Quotes

I read in another thread that Ares changed their name and hasn't produced any in a while

appears to be true:

https://fightlite.com/

I don't see the SCR listed
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 9:51:12 PM EDT
[#27]
They probably are tooling up to produce them with Fight Light on the receiver instead of Ares Defense.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:58:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Hanz:
They probably are tooling up to produce them with Fight Light on the receiver instead of Ares Defense.  
View Quote

Most likely correct. They recently posted pics on Instagram of the MCR with the new logo and name.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 1:19:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Jupiter7:

Most likely correct. They recently posted pics on Instagram of the MCR with the new logo and name.
View All Quotes

Well their customer relations are shit. Not a peep outta these fools.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Fyrpower1972:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Fyrpower1972:

Yup, I'm not holding any hope the SCR makes a return. I've been kicking myself for not picking one up 8-9 months ago when they were available.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Their facebook page has noted a number of times that the SCR is coming back, but they are just getting everything tooled back up with the name change.

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By darrenk75b:
Their facebook page has noted a number of times that the SCR is coming back, but they are just getting everything tooled back up with the name change.

View Quote

They just added the SCR back to their website. They're still calling it the ARES SCR. Only thing that looks different is the price, but if they couldn't keep them in stock that is not surprising.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#33]
When I get the $$$ I'm picking up a SCR lower.  Should have done one earlier.  Granted, I have this evil idea of putting a Ron Williams .357 magnum upper on it, if he can get it to work.    Reaslistically I'll probably do a 14.5" medcon or something though.  Save the .357 upper for when I make a SBR AR lower.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:19:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Might check w/ Tromix.  Tony made .357" uppers as well, and he's a member here.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

It's a bit off before I can buy one but I'll keep that in mind.  Still need to SBR my 77/357 bolt action, get a can for it, etc.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#36]
That's awesome they've added them back to their site.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:55:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Andromax] [#37]
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:

It's a bit off before I can buy one but I'll keep that in mind.  Still need to SBR my 77/357 bolt action, get a can for it, etc.
View All Quotes

Nice.
I was lookin at those 77/357 i ended up getting a 357 Handi instead, and having it threaded for my can.
I just looked up the 357 upper, I had never heard about those. Interesting..
What part of the state you in?
<--Matsu Valley
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:16:30 PM EDT
[#38]

Nice.
I was lookin at those 77/357 i ended up getting a 357 Handi instead, and having it threaded for my can.
<--Matsu Valley
View All Quotes

Nice.
<--Matsu Valley

Fairbanks  I'd buy a .357 handi if I could find one, but Ruger just discontinued the 77/357, 44, and a few others so I grabbed one while I could.

Ron does DI uppers using a Deagle mag sleeved into a 20rd AR mag body plus some kind of gunsmith magic.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Fairbanks  I'd buy a .357 handi if I could find one, but Ruger just discontinued the 77/357, 44, and a few others so I grabbed one while I could.

Ron does DI uppers using a Deagle mag sleeved into a 20rd AR mag body plus some kind of gunsmith magic.
View Quote

Could make a cool SCR!

Stay warm up there!
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#40]

Could make a cool SCR!

Stay warm up there!
View All Quotes

Could make a cool SCR!

Stay warm up there!

I was kind of thinking of a .44 mag as a brush gun.  SBR the SCR lower and a 10.5" 44 mag or something.  Hello Mr. Bear

Either way, a .357 upper is on my dream list.  And yeah, -30 yesterday and today.  Looking like it's going to be a cold winter.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:44:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Andromax] [#41]

I was kind of thinking of a .44 mag as a brush gun.  SBR the SCR lower and a 10.5" 44 mag or something.  Hello Mr. Bear

Either way, a .357 upper is on my dream list.  And yeah, -30 yesterday and today.  Looking like it's going to be a cold winter.
View Quote

We think alike! I'm working on a side charging .458 Socom upper with a 14" Tromix barrel for my SCR.
I'll add pics of it, soon when it's done.

-30* ... is that a warm spell for you guys?
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#42]

They just added the SCR back to their website. They're still calling it the ARES SCR. Only thing that looks different is the price, but if they couldn't keep them in stock that is not surprising.
View All Quotes

Linky:

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:55:13 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Could make a cool SCR!

Stay warm up there!

Forget 357... I want a .30 Carbine upper for my SCR...
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 10:58:45 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Holy #@&%, that's quite the jump.  Really glad that I impulse-bought that one at Gander for $750.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 1:54:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By CarpNY:

Holy #@&%, that's quite the jump.  Really glad that I impulse-bought that one at Gander for $750.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CarpNY:

If Gander was selling them at $750, you should have bought them all. Someone there must have made a pricing mistake.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:11:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Brownells is listing the lowers (out of stock) for $525 btw
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/lower-receivers/scr-lower-receiver-assembly-prod86792.aspx

I'd have sworn I saw them in stock somewhere earlier today but can't remember where.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:58:48 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

They're stockpiling SCRs for after Jan 01 because they will be worth more in california.  A lot more.  The retooling thing is just bullshit.  Takes maybe a few hours to have one programmer edit the roll marks lol.  

But hey, i would do the same thing if I had the patent on something that would be giving me a virtual monopoly on ARs with1/10 of the people in this country.  

By all accounts the SCR is a fantastic product and I'll be buying one or two SCR lowers next year
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 5:03:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#48]

They're stockpiling SCRs for after Jan 01 because they will be worth more in california.  A lot more.  The retooling thing is just bullshit.  Takes maybe a few hours to have one programmer edit the roll marks lol.  

But hey, i would do the same thing if I had the patent on something that would be giving me a virtual monopoly on ARs with1/10 of the people in this country.  

By all accounts the SCR is a fantastic product and I'll be buying one or two SCR lowers next year
View Quote

Don't quote me here since I didn't do manufacture when I was doing FFL work, but changing important stuff like names and addresses on lowers requires ATF approval for a variance or new marking.  So they could also have a stack of them waiting to be finished and then anodized once it's approved.

Also, this new format is fucking weird. 
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 7:55:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Ares_Defense:
If Gander was selling them at $750, you should have bought them all. Someone there must have made a pricing mistake.
View Quote

I did.  They had one at that price.  
The only other one that they had included an optic and maybe a light, but was over $1100.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Brownells is listing the lowers (out of stock) for $525 btw
http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=iw6bo0e1kc00zk8a00y51&mi=10077&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Frifle-parts%2Freceiver-parts%2Freceivers%2Flower-receivers%2Fscr-lower-receiver-assembly-prod86792.aspx

I'd have sworn I saw them in stock somewhere earlier today but can't remember where.
View Quote

Both Brownell's and Midwest Gunworks have been out of stock on them for the last 8-9 months.

Hopefully they make a return soon.
Page / 45
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 20 of 45)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top