Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/25/2018 4:25:26 PM EDT
I need to play with the vinyl cutter more to get a better template. But having never done this before,
I think it has potential.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 4:47:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks to me like your on the right track. Looks good.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 4:53:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Looking good! Share the deets with us.

Did you use the Q-Tip method or the plexiglass reservoir method?

I think the reservoir method looks like it will give the most even results.

I have my Mattel stencil from Dogfight Ink but I haven't taken the time to monkey with it yet.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 5:04:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Q-Tip method, so that is why it is uneven in depth. Depends how long you spend in each area and you need to keep adding solution to
the q-tip, etc. That part doesn't bother me, as most real roll marks will have inconsistencies like that.
The template I made myself on my wife's Silhouette machine. It's really hard to get it all weeded out right. The insides of the characters
are really small! So you end up with some closed parts like the top of the "8". That part bothers me.

If I can get a good template and practice how long to etch it for, should turn out OK.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Check this guy out.

You can fast forward to about the 20 minute mark. He makes stencils in the beginning though.

ETA Holy crap! It actually embedded this time!
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 5:40:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looking good! Share the deets with us.

Did you use the Q-Tip method or the plexiglass reservoir method?

I think the reservoir method looks like it will give the most even results.

I have my Mattel stencil from Dogfight Ink but I haven't taken the time to monkey with it yet.
View Quote
I think purposely making it somewhat uneven makes it look better, as rollmarks weren't perfect! Looks good OP
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#7]
The "roll" of roll marks push material out of the way so I can see what you're saying about that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 10:23:36 PM EDT
[#8]
The key to electro etching is to use a very fine line to start with.  About 2 thumbtack's width is plenty.  The finer the line, the better the result if you are trying to do letters/font.  I wish I knew this before I purchased all those vinyl stencils.  But it has been a fun learning experience.  Here are some free hand fun ones:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 12:26:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Q-Tip method, so that is why it is uneven in depth. Depends how long you spend in each area and you need to keep adding solution to
the q-tip, etc. That part doesn't bother me, as most real roll marks will have inconsistencies like that.
The template I made myself on my wife's Silhouette machine. It's really hard to get it all weeded out right. The insides of the characters
are really small! So you end up with some closed parts like the top of the "8". That part bothers me.

If I can get a good template and practice how long to etch it for, should turn out OK.
View Quote
Awesome that you used a Silhouette. I just bought a Cricut Maker specifically to make stencils to etch lowers. I’m not there with the stencils yet though. Still looking for a hi-res retro Colt graphic. Might have to break down and do my own layout if I don’t find something soon.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Awesome that you used a Silhouette. I just bought a Cricut Maker specifically to make stencils to etch lowers. I'm not there with the stencils yet though. Still looking for a hi-res retro Colt graphic. Might have to break down and do my own layout if I don't find something soon.
View Quote
I don't know how the Cricut software works, but you should be able to import a .dxf which is a pretty universal vector format.
I put a file in the link below called 'AR Markings Template' that you can try to import for Cricut. I haven't tried doing the colt logo yet. It will be tough to
weed out the parts you want to remove. The logo in that file is all single lines, but you need to give them some thickness to cut it all out right.
@VAAR
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hkqs5fcz8juwbve/AAAFQa7mR27e7wMjT26k_3Uja?dl=0
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks!  The Cricut software is a cloud based workspace.  You can use vector files, or there is a tracing function for raster files.  Thanks for the template!  Imma play with it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 10:22:45 PM EDT
[#12]
You have me super excited by this post! I just ordered my wife a Cricut for her birthday, I know I would be able to make some neat stuff but never thought about etching stencils.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#13]
How did I do?

LOL

V
OUT
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 10:42:13 PM EDT
[#14]
BUMP with Update:

So I wasn't getting the results I wanted with the vinyl, particularly the pony logo, as it has some fine detail that
wasn't really working with the vinyl cutter.
So I've started exploring using photo-sensitive dry film resist, and it's working much better, although it's been a huge learning curve.
Most of the info out there is for etching PCB's and trying to get it right for this application has been A LOT of trial and error, but
I'm starting to get it down. Still need to work out some things, then it'll be time to do it on a receiver.

Much cleaner looking than my last attempts, although I still messed up the "1" in this example.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I'd also like some critique on the artwork.
Fonts? Proportions? placement?
Now is the time to make adjustments! After hooking up the electrodes, there's no turning back.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks nice.

Remember to go as narrow as you can with your stencil, as the metal is eaten away, the impression widens as it goes deeper, eventually undercutting the stencil.  I don't know how deep you want to go?

If you can remove the existing anodizing before etching you will get a more uniform etch.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks great to me.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Looks nice.

Remember to go as narrow as you can with your stencil, as the metal is eaten away, the impression widens as it goes deeper, eventually undercutting the stencil.  I don't know how deep you want to go?

If you can remove the existing anodizing before etching you will get a more uniform etch.
View Quote
Thanks.
The receiver will need a vigorous scrubbing with a scotch pad to get the dry film to adhere, since I can't laminate it on like you would do with a PCB.
Hopefully that will break through enough of the anodizing to produce a good etch.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#18]
430 Scuderia?
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 8:00:29 PM EDT
[#19]
First test receiver before moving on to the M16A1

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 1:17:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Looking good, now the limit is how many 80% lowers you can find
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 1:25:40 AM EDT
[#21]
That is one of the best of the home etching jobs I have seen, looks like you are on the right path to getting it just right!

Good job.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top