Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2024 4:52:16 PM EDT
Trying to take out the front take down pin and it has not hole.  I will get it out but who made them with no hole and when?  This might be a colt LPK based on the coloring and the m16 safety.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#1]
What lower?
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#2]
What do you mean it doesn’t have a hole?
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What do you mean it doesn’t have a hole?
View Quote

I believe he means the through hole in the takedown pin through which the detent can be depressed so that it (the pin) can be removed.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Get in there with a flat head screw driver (think eye glass repair) and try to depress it/spin the take down pin around.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the official disassembly tool is a 1/16” Allen wrench with the short end tip beveled
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I believe he means the through hole in the takedown pin through which the detent can be depressed so that it (the pin) can be removed.
View Quote

Yes this is what I mean.  The lower makes no difference as it was put together with a LPK.  Like I said the parts where mostly dark gray and it has an M16 no tick safety.  Did colt always have the detent takedown hole?  
I have gotten them out with a blade so that is not a big deal.  Just wondering if this was a colt part or not.  If not I will just leave it in the lower.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 1:15:36 AM EDT
[#7]
i've run across pivot pins without the hole before.  i always just thought maybe they were commercial ones that skipped the step of drilling that hole.  i found them on early preban commercial guns.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 1:37:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I’ve honestly never paid it any attention and always used an xacto knife to remove them. I’ll have to look at a few of mine out of curiosity.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 3:30:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Lot of older ones in commercial kits didn't have the hole. I drilled the hole in the ones I had because the pins metal was pretty soft on them.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I was just wondering since several of the parts in this lower are m16 parts (trigger, safety)  and several are gray, that maybe this was a used parts kit.  I was swapping the parts out and wondered if I should keep this pin with the other parts.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#11]
The H&R pivot pins did not have the holes -- at least the dimpled ones I have gotten with parts kits.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top