Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/27/2024 7:14:37 PM EDT
I have a Geisel super gas block and a ba 11.5 barrel. The gas block is tight against shoulder but the port hole is 75% open.  Not sure which is out of spec but what’s a work around to reposition ?  I could possibly sand .010 off gas block or take some meat off barrel shoulder but don’t have a lathe  ….    Any suggestions?   Thanks
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd say the best course of action is to try another gas block and determine which part is the issue. Then, contact them about the problem.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:54:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#2]
Shim it off of the shoulder or source another GB.

Misread the OP.

I'd determine where the spec is off personally.  I'm guessing the journal OAL or barrel port location.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:59:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. Will check dimensions — my description may no va been worded correctly
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:26:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hayseed111:
Thanks. Will check dimensions — my description may no va been worded correctly
View Quote

Your description is fine. I may be overdue for a few days off work.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:11:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#5]
Originally Posted By hayseed111:
I have a Geisel super gas block and a ba 11.5 barrel. The gas block is tight against shoulder but the port hole is 75% open.  Not sure which is out of spec but what’s a work around to reposition ?  I could possibly sand .010 off gas block or take some meat off barrel shoulder but don’t have a lathe  ….    Any suggestions?   Thanks
View Quote

The distance between the journal and the port is spec'd.  What is the dimension you get from the journal to the center of the hole?
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Stupid question but I have to ask.  Are you sure your alignment is off in the right direction?  You say it is 75% open with the GB up against the barrel shoulder.  A brain fart could easily have your problem bass-ackwards and it needs to be backed off the barrel shoulder to align it properly.  I have seen people slam the GB up against the shoulder several times and cause a partial blockage of the gas port, but it is really rare, especially with decent makers, where the gas block or gas port was mis-drilled or the barrel shoulder is in the wrong place.
If you are correct though, and another gas block does not solve the issue and you don't want to send the barrel back for replacement, yes, you can use a belt sander and take off some off the face to get it to align but I would quadruple check to make sure the grinding off the face of the gas block will solve the issue without creating another, such as setting back the gas tube too far and causing it to bottom out in the gas key, which might happen if the gas port or shoulder is indeed in the wrong location.  My money is on a brain fart that has you thinking backwards and moving it off the shoulder will correct it.  I've been wrong before, in fact, several times just today, so good luck.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:25:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

The distance between the journal and the port is spec'd.  What is the dimension you get from the journal to the center of the hole?
View Quote

And some are designed to mount tight to the journal step, others take into consideration ~0.020" for a handguard retainer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:32:22 PM EDT
[#8]
If it comes down to hacking on things (not saying it should), I'd just enlarge to hole in the gas block to accommodate the misalignment. It won't change the location of the gas block (and as was mentioned the gas tube) like sanding down the side of the block will.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:46:48 PM EDT
[#9]
No  not a stupid question,,, it’s. Installed correctly but won’t line up….  Will borrow another another block and good point about the tube length. Thanks gentlemen
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 12:20:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

And some are designed to mount tight to the journal step, others take into consideration ~0.020" for a handguard retainer.
View Quote

True, but this guy is far from that number.  Also, gas block orifices are twice the size of typical gas ports so that difference means nothing to gas flow.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 7:13:48 AM EDT
[#11]

True, but this guy is far from that number.  Also, gas block orifices are twice the size of typical gas ports so that difference means nothing to gas flow.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yeah, something is fuckey with this.

FWIW, the G SGB that I have here has a gas opening that measures 0.0123" in diameter, for reference.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 11:03:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Using a borescope to see if it's obstructed, somehow?
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Yeah, something is fuckey with this.

FWIW, the G SGB that I have here has a gas opening that measures 0.0123" in diameter, for reference.
View Quote

They are indeed all over the map, but always larger than the port in my experience, to allow for any slight innacuracies in alignment.  I've never owned a G tho, and that is pretty tight.

I always turn the GB 180 degrees and see where the port lines up with the first set screw hole, as that is also where it will align with the orifice.  The only GB's I have had lately that were offset for the handguard cap have been fixed FSB's
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 5:18:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Just following up.  The gp was located .243 off the shoulder ,, removed .004 form gb,,,, just cleared.  I t was close.   Thanks for ideas.   Cheers
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top