Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/26/2018 10:45:28 PM EDT
Speer recently changed their mid-weight .223 load from the 64gr to the 62gr Gold Dot. That got me wondering if they changed anything else in the process (like...maybe...load it a little hotter?) I also came into some XM223SP1 and figured I'd add it to the test since the bullets are similar. XM223SP1 was loaded to ICE specification for their use in duty weapons.

The Ammo

Attachment Attached File

The Chronograph

MasterChrony, 12 feet from the muzzle

Atmospherics

Air Temp: 65 degrees
Humidity: 77%
Dewpoint: 55 degrees
Pressure: 30.02
Elevation: 1030'

The Results

Attachment Attached File

Since I was hoping for a velocity increase with the 62gr Gold Dot, you could say I'm disappointed with the results. The somewhat anemic 64gr out shot the 62gr in both barrel lengths. Neither round is bad by any means, but they could be so much better. The XM223SP1 was actually identical (average velocity) to the 64GD in the short barrel and just slightly slower in the 16". Notwithstanding any POI issues (that I didn't test for today), the rounds appears to be virtually identical.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 11:05:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup, pretty anemic...cmon at least have the same velocity if the weight is gonna be less (though not by much). Bonded bullet so no worries honestly about underpentrating from higher velocity. Are they being cheap? They want even less muzzle flash because of less powder? "Lighter recoil"? They probably dgaf since LE will probably never take a shot past 50 yards in most cases.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 11:50:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Presumably it’s in the loading, but still it’s a shame the newer round manages to be both lighter and slower.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:02:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow!

Surprising to say the least.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 9:24:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you Eagle, those results are definitely disappointing.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 9:38:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While us ( me included ) velocity junkies love faster... the GD bullets still work great at the current velocities.

When Speer used to have load data specific to the first "plated / bonded" rifle bullets, they included a warning about not pushing the bullets to fast.. since it might strip some of the plating off.

I have often wonder if that is why Speer quit producing the 5.56 version.

BUT.... I see no such warning in Speers current data.... ( or barrel length used )

https://www.speer-ammo.com/downloads/speer/reloading-pdfs/Rifle/22_caliber_224_dia/223_Remington_Gold_Dot_62.pdf

https://www.speer-ammo.com/downloads/speer/reloading-pdfs/Rifle/22_caliber_224_dia/556x45mm_NATO_Gold_Dot_62.pdf

From here...
https://www.speer-ammo.com/reloading/rifle?cartridge=223-remington
View Quote
I wish we had more data on the real world differences between between Gold Dot and Fusion bullets. The prevailing wisdom is that they're virtually identical. If that's the case, why can Federal load them hotter and Speer not? (My 11.5" barrels push 62gr Fusion MSR to around 2600 fps).

I don't think Speer is being "lazy" with the load, but they probably do have some pressure from their main customer base for Gold Dots (police) for some sort of liability considerations surrounding rifle bullets. As FatBurrito mentioned, police likely won't take a shot outside of 50yds, and that makes the 62/64GD a good choice given their tactical limitations.

I still consider them "good enough" for self defense ranges in any barrel length, but I acknowledge the relatively large gap they have compared to other choices.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:38:28 PM EDT
[#7]
i thought the consensus was that SP's do a better job of opening at less than max velocity? therefor no reason to push them there.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 1:16:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you, Eagle, for updating this test.  Now I don't feel like I need to replace my existing small stash of GD 64gr with this 62gr.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 1:50:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Still giving good expansion at 200 yards from a 10.5" barrel.  Somehow needs more velocity

Link Posted: 7/27/2018 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I appreciate the sentiment, but Fusion MSR gives (theoretical) expansion to ~350yds in a 10.5" barrel.*

Is GD good enough? For most situations, yes. Could it be better? Absolutely. Given the price for a box of each, GD is the choice for most I'm sure.

*I haven't tested shots into gel at these distances, nor have I simulated low velocity shots at shorter distances, but others have.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thank you, Eagle, for updating this test.  Now I don't feel like I need to replace my existing small stash of GD 64gr with this 62gr.
View Quote
No kidding. I picked up 2k rounds of 64g over the last year.

I will say this; I'm only getting around 90-100fps more from the 62G fusion MSRs than the 64g GD's out of my 14.5" and 16" AR's. Don't own any shorter 5.56.

Also get a little more bullet expansion out of the GD's than the Fusions when shot into water jugs. Not exactly scientific, but interesting none the less.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No kidding. I picked up 2k rounds of 64g over the last year.

I will say this; I'm only getting around 90-100fps more from the 62G fusion MSRs than the 64g GD's out of my 14.5" and 16" AR's. Don't own any shorter 5.56.

Also get a little more bullet expansion out of the GD's than the Fusions when shot into water jugs. Not exactly scientific, but interesting none the less.
View Quote
I can't speak to expansion as I've only reasearched what others have done. I got about 140fps more with MSR than GD in 14.5" barrels (from the big test last year).
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#13]
155 yards, per range finder, and a 120 pound doe was DRT, last December. 16 inch barrel 64 grain Gold Dot.
Be dissapointed all you want. I normally use 75 gr on the very rare occasion I hunt with a 223, it isn't my choice for deer, but that is all I had at the time that was ready to go on an unexpected junt. I figured hogs would be all I sa anyway, but not a sign of one that day.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 1:30:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
155 yards, per range finder, and a 120 pound doe was DRT, last December. 16 inch barrel 64 grain Gold Dot.
Be dissapointed all you want. I normally use 75 gr on the very rare occasion I hunt with a 223, it isn't my choice for deer, but that is all I had at the time that was ready to go on an unexpected junt. I figured hogs would be all I sa anyway, but not a sign of one that day.
View Quote
I think most people here are disappointed that the 62gr doesn't even match the 64gr. Personally I've tried to be very careful to note that the lower velocity of the 64gr (and now the 62gr) is something to know about, but it doesn't make the round "bad".

Like many, I stocked up on the 64gr when it was cheap. It's put away for a rainy day and I'd be happy to use it in 14.5" + barrels should the occasion arise. In shorter barrels, I'd rather use something loaded a little hotter to account for the velocity handicap a shorter barrel gives you.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top