Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2019 12:38:43 PM EDT
I'm going to buy an eotech to put on a new AR. Focus is CBQ type stuff (courses). I'm going to take a couple courses and it will be my main HD gun. The green reticle looks really nice to me. I will never use night vision. Someone said it was too bright for night use.

For those with the new red versions of the optic, is the reticle and center dot really visible during bright daytime conditions? Eotech obviously saw a desire/need for a green reticle.

Secondly, does anyone have a green one and can they comment on its brightness and suitability for night use?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm going to buy an eotech to put on a new AR. Focus is CBQ type stuff (courses). I'm going to take a couple courses and it will be my main HD gun. The green reticle looks really nice to me. I will never use night vision. Someone said it was too bright for night use.

For those with the new red versions of the optic, is the reticle and center dot really visible during bright daytime conditions? Eotech obviously saw a desire/need for a green reticle.

Secondly, does anyone have a green one and can they comment on its brightness and suitability for night use?

Thanks
View Quote
I have had both green and red, new and old. All work fine for me in bright to little light. I do not use NV. I think the green is more for people who see it faster and clearer. Some folks see amber the same way. I thought since I basically live in the woods, all the green backdrop would make the green reticle not work out but for me it was super bright and easy to put on target.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#3]
It's hard to hunt Leprechauns with the green. - as said by Vigilance Elite
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#4]
You’re going to get a lot of talk about how “the human eye is more sensitive to green” etc. Yeah that’s a thing, green is in the middle of the visible wavelengths etc, but I don’t know how well that applies to optics. In use, both are bright as shit and it would seem like contrast with environment and individual preference matters more in use.

Saying it’s scientifically better sells a lot of optics. Whether it has actual objective merit or not, the market wants green, and that’s why things are made green. Usually at expense of actual objective things like battery life. I don’t have a dog in the fight, but I like my red, and GT reviewed the green and thought it was fine but overall inferior to the red. Said something about it looking overly pixelated and maybe they hadn’t refined its implementation as well yet. I’d assume a lot of that would be subjective to the experience of the individual.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I have both. I like the green becasue it is very easy to pick up in low light and indoors. When looking at a green back ground you would expect it to not be very easy to see but in reality its not that bad. I don't have to hav the brightness all the way up like I do on the red version. But in the end its really just personal preference. I'll try and get picks up sometime this week comparing them side by side.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 4:22:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Used both for a long time. All things being equal, I find red has better contrast against more backgrounds than green.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a red XPS2-0 and brightness is fine for bright daylight.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#8]
In an optic like the MRO, Trijicon specs the Green dot as having 1 year of battery life and the red as having 5 years of battery life.

Id be interested to know if the EoTech sight has the same reduction in battery life.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a green dot due to my astigmatism and color blindness. I just couldn’t see the red anywhere close to the green. I’ve had no problem seeing the green even in Florida’s high sun and green background. Look through both and see what you like and see better.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 7:31:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I have both. Green "appears" brighter in the daytime to me and easier to pick up in a "Surprise!" kind of way, even on green backgrounds, but seems significantly more pixelated to my astigmatism. In a weird twist, it is less pixelated through the magnifier. Battery life is reduced to around 600 hrs down from 1000+. And no NV capability.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 9:34:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I have both. If daylight use is your primary goal I'd opt for the Green. Several reviews out there saying the green reticle seems more "fuzzy". Not my experience. Reticle clarity appears the same to me as red. Others have said it's not optimal in CQB/low light indoors. Not my experience. I can still pick up the green very quickly in closed environments even when using a 500 lumen WML. YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:14:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have both. If daylight use is your primary goal I'd opt for the Green. Several reviews out there saying the green reticle seems more "fuzzy". Not my experience. Reticle clarity appears the same to me as red. Others have said it's not optimal in CQB/low light indoors. Not my experience. I can still pick up the green very quickly in closed environments even when using a 500 lumen WML. YMMV.
View Quote
Have you noticed a difference in battery life?
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 3:41:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Have you noticed a difference in battery life?
View Quote
Negative. I haven't had the Green long enough to gauge battery life and I don't intend to run it down purposely to test it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top