Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/1/2019 3:20:00 PM EDT
So I grabbed this at the local gun show. I was told it was a preban Colt upper, Colt bolt/ bolt carrier but the barrel has me stumped. The barrel looks like a pencil barrel but once i got the handguards off the barrel was like a huge bull barrel.
Thoughts?

Link Posted: 6/1/2019 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a Colt barrel.  Note the roll pins in the FSB.

Might be an Oly barrel.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah I would say it's a Frankenupper

colt receiver, with most likely an Oly barrel screwed to it
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 4:07:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
yeah I would say it's a Frankenupper

colt receiver, with most likely an Oly barrel screwed to it
View Quote
I come from the land of AK's so I'm a complete AR newbie. What's an OLY barrel? Is that a brand?
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Olympic Arms, they used to be a big player in the AR world back in the ban days.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Olympic Arms, they used to be a big player in the AR world back in the ban days.
View Quote
Duh I should have known that's what it was I've heard of them. So the question is if that's an OLY barrel what is the quality?
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Duh I should have known that's what it was I've heard of them. So the question is if that's an OLY barrel what is the quality?
View Quote
Oly made both basic-grade barrels and some excellent match barrels. Unless it says "Ultra Match" I'm leaning towards just a perfectly fine, usable, ordinary barrel. Nothing special.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#8]
XM-177 barrel is sweet.  Granted it's an 11" barrel with a big FH on it, but OLY quality is good.

I gave an upper with the same bbl to my oldest daughter 20 years ago. She refuses to give it back or trade me for a more "modern" one.

Shoot it and enjoy

The best configuration is :

Link Posted: 6/1/2019 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Another big AR dealer at the show said it's a Colt contract upper and that the giant flash hider is just silver soldered on as that was something that was done back in the day instead of pinned and weld.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#10]
The bit about silver solder being used in the past is true.

The statement that it is a factory Colt upper is a lie.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The bit about silver solder being used in the past is true.

The statement that it is a factory Colt upper is a lie.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:47:54 PM EDT
[#12]
That is not an Oly barrel,

Looks like the standard fare that Nesard sold back in the 80's and 90's. Dead giveaway is the roll pins in the FSB, Olympic never did this.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Was Nesard using decent barrels?

I've got $400 into this upper. Hoping I made a decent purchase.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#14]
The old Bushmaster in Windham ME also sold this upper complete. 11.5 inch barrel with a 5.5 inch flash suppressor. I have one on an old (1993) Bushmaster lower.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The old Bushmaster in Windham ME also sold this upper complete. 11.5 inch barrel with a 5.5 inch flash suppressor. I have one on an old (1993) Bushmaster lower.
View Quote
I also have one of these bushmaster rifles as well. Mine was built in 1999-2000
That's why I grabbed this Colt upper, wanted to make another one.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm not aware of Bushmaster ever using roll pins in the FSB.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Another big AR dealer at the show said it's a Colt contract upper and that the giant flash hider is just silver soldered on as that was something that was done back in the day instead of pinned and weld.
View Quote
If a Colt HBAR Barrel, there would be C MP C on top of the barrel between FSB and the FH.

If a factory Colt upper, there would be proof marks on the upper receiver right side above the front of the ejection port.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 11:01:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That is not an Oly barrel,

Looks like the standard fare that Nesard sold back in the 80's and 90's. Dead giveaway is the roll pins in the FSB, Olympic never did this.

Wpns Man
View Quote
Olympic did use roll pins. they also used straight, and tapered pins as well

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Did_anyone_make_a_cast_FSB_besides_the_ones_for_the_military_601s_/123-600921/?fvx=1
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 5:14:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If a Colt HBAR Barrel, there would be C MP C on top of the barrel between FSB and the FH.

If a factory Colt upper, there would be proof marks on the upper receiver right side above the front of the ejection port.
View Quote
OP's has the raised forged C + H under the rear sight.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Back when Oly and Nesard were the only game in town I handled a lot of this stuff.

I had two different friends who were dealers and helped them sell, build and repair stuff. The Cast FSB was not an Oly exclusive. Nesard would use whatever was available, usually someone else's rejects. Unless it is an Oly marked barrel, I still go with it being Nesard. I use to repair a bunch of rifles built with their parts kits because people wanted to go cheap.

YMMV,

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Does that upper receiver have an extra hole drilled in the channel of the carry handle?
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Since you've already bought it, I'd say you did ok. If the bore is chrome lined you did better. If you take it out and it'll group under 2.5 moa (@100) with the irons (benched of course), you ROCK.

Measure the twist rate. You might be able to rule out some manufacturers, of the bbl, anyway.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Does that upper receiver have an extra hole drilled in the channel of the carry handle?
View Quote
Yea some old timer did a bubba job and drilled a second hole, meh it was a way for me to talk him down a bit on the price. Doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yea some old timer did a bubba job and drilled a second hole, meh it was a way for me to talk him down a bit on the price. Doesn't bother me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep, old school ACOG hole.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

OP's has the raised forged C + H under the rear sight.
View Quote
That's just the forge and Colt markings for the upper receiver forging.  There would be a triangle firing proof mark and another small mark above the front of the ejection port if it was a Colt-factory assembled Upper Receiver Assembly, with the C MP C on the barrel front if the barrel were actually mfg by Colt.   Lots of overrun Colt upper forgings made it into the civilian market, lots of stripped finished Uppers made it onto the market, either by the sub contractors or boxes fell off the military property books.

Sendra became Nesard became Model 1 Sales (until that Vader incident... ;)  )
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 11:49:21 AM EDT
[#26]
The barrel is Nasard, the upper receiver is not proofed, the flash hider looks to be silver soldered (AKA Nasard) the handguards are not Colt. The BCG is a Colt SP1.

stoner63a What incident?

Sendra became Nesard became Model 1 Sales (until that Vader incident... ;) )
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The barrel is Nasard, the upper receiver is not proofed, the flash hider looks to be silver soldered (AKA Nasard) the handguards are not Colt. The BCG is a Colt SP1.

stoner63a What incident?

View Quote
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Vender-MandA-PArts-attacks-Customer-at-Houston-Gunshow-and-the-customer-goes-Darth-Vader-on-him/5-295732/?page=2
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

stoner63a What incident?

View Quote
Haha there you are. I couldn't remember all the details you told me, figured this was the next best place.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top