Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2024 5:40:14 PM EDT
While this breaks the retro rules, this is the community that knows me best, and the one that I spend all of my time in, so please humor me.

Yesterday, I wore the uniform for the last time as my stint on active duty came to a close. I served 5 years, 3 months and 8 days, and the Army has given me countless relationships that I will forever be thankful for. It even better connected me to some of you because of my time at West Point, and I got to study rifles I would otherwise not have had access to.

While serving, I had some of the most fun in my entire life as an armor student at ABOLC. I was a Recon/Scout Platoon Leader of the finest, most professional NCOs and Soldiers a young Lieutenant could ask for. I was a Troop Executive Officer for two of the best Troop Commanders/Officers I have ever met and served amongst a group of XOs I wouldn’t have traded for the world. I was an S-4 in a foreign country and made many more friends while there for 288 days. I couldn’t have done all that I did without the support of my wife, my family, my mentors, and my friends. The other services have fancy ships, planes, etc, but the Army is truly about the people!

This is a weird change for me, as I have been under the Army’s microscope since entering the Academy in June 2015. I’m looking forward to what the future holds.

Therefore, gents, I am no longer “LT,” “Lieutenant,” or “Captain.” I am once again just “Mr.” and “Andrew.” Thanks for all the retro forum has done to keep me sane. Doing the research / answering questions always gave me an escape from work when I needed it.

Here’s a pic of me and my XM16E1 to somewhat comply with the rules!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations, and Thanks for your service!
I know it sounds a little trite, but there it is. Most civilians cannot appreciate the stuff you go through just being military- I must admit that I don't know all of it - but thank you!
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
While this breaks the retro rules, this is the community that knows me best, and the one that I spend all of my time in, so please humor me.

Yesterday, I wore the uniform for the last time as my stint on active duty came to a close. I served 5 years, 3 months and 8 days, and the Army has given me countless relationships that I will forever be thankful for. It even better connected me to some of you because of my time at West Point, and I got to study rifles I would otherwise not have had access to.

While serving, I had some of the most fun in my entire life as an armor student at ABOLC. I was a Recon/Scout Platoon Leader of the finest, most professional NCOs and Soldiers a young Lieutenant could ask for. I was a Troop Executive Officer for two of the best Troop Commanders/Officers I have ever met and served amongst a group of XOs I wouldn’t have traded for the world. I was an S-4 in a foreign country and made many more friends while there for 288 days. I couldn’t have done all that I did without the support of my wife, my family, my mentors, and my friends. The other services have fancy ships, planes, etc, but the Army is truly about the people!

This is a weird change for me, as I have been under the Army’s microscope since entering the Academy in June 2015. I’m looking forward to what the future holds.

Therefore, gents, I am no longer “LT,” “Lieutenant,” or “Captain.” I am once again just “Mr.” and “Andrew.” Thanks for all the retro forum has done to keep me sane. Doing the research / answering questions always gave me an escape from work when I needed it.

Here’s a pic of me and my XM16E1 to somewhat comply with the rules!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/463351/IMG_2189_png-3241770.JPG
View Quote

Congratulations, Sir!
From one old Soldier to another, Thank you for your service.
To some, you will always be LT or Captain. I know this from personal experience, for some of those I served with were that. Or First Sergeant, Or Sergeant Major or Colonel. The bulk of course were "the guys". I remember most of those but the ones who had the greatest impact on their people were the leaders. Just like you, Sir.
God Bless
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, thank you both. I tried to judge my performance not by what my superiors thought of me, but what my peers and subordinates thought. I was not an eval chaser, and found that if you genuinely care and do right by your people and your peers to your left and right, the positive evals follow.

Thanks for the support. Again, I really don’t know how to feel right now.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for your service, SheepDog!
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for your service, SheepDog!
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for your service!  As a former soldier and sailor for longer myself, I wish you Fair Winds and Following Seas!
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Best wishes for whatever the future holds for you AH.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Best wishes for whatever the future holds for you AH.
View Quote

Business School / MBA in Salt Lake City! Thanks Rob!
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Congrats on your future endeavors, thank you for all your hard work and dedication to this great country, and of course a personal thanks for all the knowledge you have brought to this forum and to me personally on a few of my builds over the years, I bet there are hundreds of retro rifles out there that were built with some forum of knowledge that came from you, and that's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 8:13:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Congratulations and thank you

Good luck at school and afterwards.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#11]
5 years???

Just imagine what the next 40 are going to be like!

Congrats and thanks for your service.

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Congrats and good luck on your future endeavors!

Those are formative years in the experience you gain, and friendships you make. As you already know, you'll do and experience things that most folks in civilian life never will. I'm way out from my service time, and I didn't do anything especially crazy, but I still look back on it often, and still am very close friends with some of the guys I served with.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Congratulations!  And as others have said, thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:39:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Another Thank you for your service.  You'll do well in your next chapter of life.

CD
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Thank you for your service and on to the next chapter of your life.

I spent 6 years AD from ‘89-‘95 and I always say “I’m glad I did it, I’m glad I got out and I worked with some of the best people of my life”

It is an experience not many will have and add in your West Point education and it’s even less. It should serve you well in the future and I’m sure changed you forever.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Congratulation. You're now a civilian, not really. May you carry your Military experience through the rest of your career.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Though it is becoming redundant by now, A grateful country and myself thank you for your dedicated and selfless service ,Carry on Soldier
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:17:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Bad news.  Unless you resigned your commission, you're still a Captain and subject to recall.

Godspeed.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Bad news.  Unless you resigned your commission, you're still a Captain and subject to recall.

Godspeed.
View Quote

It was a REFRAD and I am in the IRR until 20270525, yes
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Wow, it's hard to believe that it's already been 5 years (plus 3 months and 8 days). Here's another 'thank you', for your service, and for your contributions to our Retro forum. I hope that you're planning on sticking around here in Retro; you've really added a lot over the years. Good luck at Business School and in your future endeavors.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:29:10 AM EDT
[#22]
I can imagine how you must feel. I am sure you will always remember your service and miss it in some ways.  As others put it before: “Joining the military was the best decision in my life, leaving it the second-best”. I am sure you have met people, learnt skills and gained experience you never would have otherwise. Be proud, stand tall and now go on. I am sure life has a lot for you to come. God bless you, Sir!
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:53:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Welcome to the civilian world. It's not a bad place even though your still under Uncle Sugar per say. Use those leadership skills you've acquired and start moving up the ladder in whatever endeavor you choose.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 6:37:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Respect and appreciation to you. Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Thank you for your service!
Once a soldier, always a soldier! I’ve been retired for 23 years now( exact # of years I was in) and my I.D. Card still says “indefinite” on it.
You never know, Always be prepared!
Best of luck in your future endeavor's!
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 2:53:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Congratulations! Did 9yrs and miss it every day.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#27]
CONGRATS!!!!  Now you have time to make an XM16E1 post like your pinned 601 post!!! LMAO!
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 8:29:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I wanna see his M231 thread.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Whenever you pass through Texas .....
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 10:05:35 AM EDT
[#30]

PFC Andrew
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Lol ^

Again, thanks all
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Think of it like a Coach who is no longer a Coach, he will forever be called Coach.... It's a badge of honor that you should be proud of.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Sitting in my first law school class after REFRADing from being a CPT in the 82nd Airborne, my first thought was, "My God, what have I done!"  I'm sad to say I was at the strip joint drinking a beer by 1500.  4 years later and 911 hit and I was back on Active Duty (a couple of times).  But, my knees, ankles, and back still mostly work, which probably wouldn't if I'd stayed on Active Duty.

Good luck to you, but be aware, there is a transition period.  You also might think about joining a Reserve unit.  If you don't and something happens, then as an IRR Recall, you are fresh meat for any unit that needs an Armor or Branch Immaterial Captain, whereas at least if you are in a Reserve unit, you'll know who you are going to the dance with.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:  Sitting in my first law school class after REFRADing from being a CPT in the 82nd Airborne, my first thought was, "My God, what have I done!"  I'm sad to say I was at the strip joint drinking a beer by 1500.  4 years later and 911 hit and I was back on Active Duty (a couple of times).  But, my knees, ankles, and back still mostly work, which probably wouldn't if I'd stayed on Active Duty.

Good luck to you, but be aware, there is a transition period.  You also might think about joining a Reserve unit.  If you don't and something happens, then as an IRR Recall, you are fresh meat for any unit that needs an Armor or Branch Immaterial Captain, whereas at least if you are in a Reserve unit, you'll know who you are going to the dance with.
View Quote

I did 20 years of M-Day in 2 services, and in 4 overseas deployments not once did I deploy with my organic.  Nor 9 months on the border.  Did do 2 of my 3 hurricanes w/ my organic.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I did 20 years of M-Day in 2 services, and in 4 overseas deployments not once did I deploy with my organic.  Nor 9 months on the border.  Did do 2 of my 3 hurricanes w/ my organic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Sitting in my first law school class after REFRADing from being a CPT in the 82nd Airborne, my first thought was, "My God, what have I done!"  I'm sad to say I was at the strip joint drinking a beer by 1500.  4 years later and 911 hit and I was back on Active Duty (a couple of times).  But, my knees, ankles, and back still mostly work, which probably wouldn't if I'd stayed on Active Duty.

Your unit must not have loved you very much.  Or you were in some low priority units.  Or you asked to deploy with another unit and someone agreed.  Because most units will not give up their soldiers if that unit is scheduled to mobilize.  "Stop Loss" applies to Reserve units as well as AD units.  If you were actively seeking mobilizations and deployments (A.K.A. "Guard Bumming"), then that is a different situation from someone who is not seeking mobilizations.  

My point is, that if you are a lone soldier in the IRR, then whatever unit needs your rank and MOS, then that is where you are going to be assigned in the event of an Iraq circa 2003 or Surge circa 2007 or other national incident.  If you are in a unit, and if that unit is due for mobilization, then you are going to stay in that unit until it mobilizes, so at least you have some idea of what unit you are going to be in and what you are going to be doing.  At least that's the way it was from 2001 to about 2009.  After deploying for The Surge, I didn't really keep up with mobilizations because the units I was in weren't slated for mobilization and deployment.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 6:21:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Your unit must not have loved you very much.  Or you were in some low priority units.  Or you asked to deploy with another unit and someone agreed.  Because most units will not give up their soldiers if that unit is scheduled to mobilize.  "Stop Loss" applies to Reserve units as well as AD units.  If you were actively seeking mobilizations and deployments (A.K.A. "Guard Bumming"), then that is a different situation from someone who is not seeking mobilizations.  

My point is, that if you are a lone soldier in the IRR, then whatever unit needs your rank and MOS, then that is where you are going to be assigned in the event of an Iraq circa 2003 or Surge circa 2007 or other national incident.  If you are in a unit, and if that unit is due for mobilization, then you are going to stay in that unit until it mobilizes, so at least you have some idea of what unit you are going to be in and what you are going to be doing.  At least that's the way it was from 2001 to about 2009.  After deploying for The Surge, I didn't really keep up with mobilizations because the units I was in weren't slated for mobilization and deployment.
View Quote

My experience in the 1990s was very different. The Army hated Armor branch and Armor CPTs in the IRR who REFRAD from the Active Army could just FOAD.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't call 4 deployments in 20 years Guard bumming.  But I signed up for the war and whenever someone was looking for volunteers my hand was up.  I had a lot of unpaid drills as well, and a 30 day unpaid AT.

My point is the last 20 years demonstrates that deploying units will rob Peter to pay Paul and you might be thinking your unit isn't on the cards right now, but if you're XYZ MOS w/ PDQ qualification and that's needed by a deploying unit, guess where you're going?  Maybe it's worse in the Guard than the Army Reserve, but all of my deployments had personnel from all over, including a Navy Reserve officer in a branch immaterial Army slot.  He was a nuke submariner and he was PISSED.

Ie, I don't think just b/c you're in a Reserve unit you really know who you're going to go dance w/.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top