Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/15/2024 3:24:20 PM EDT
I'm familiar with how .458 Socom and .450 Bushmaster and similar cartridges fit within the AR15 platform. What cartridges will fit in a AR10 platform (magazines and receiver) and require primarily only bolt and barrel changes?

I'd like to build a longer-range rifle at least once in my life, and this will likely be it.

Or, should I just stick with .308? Anything I can build using a .308 bolt moves to the head of the class.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#1]
6.5C
260 rem

probably some others
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 4:32:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J] [#3]
@jd2395

This is not GD.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#4]
you don't want an Armalite brand you want the DPMS / LR308 pattern AR10  

for cartridges you can do 6 Creed, 6 GT, 6.5 Creed, 22 Creed, 7-08, 6.5 PRC (need a magnum bolt for that and a gas system like rifle +2 or +3), I'm sure you can find couple more cartridges for the .308 bolt face.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:06:27 PM EDT
[#5]
It’s a big list. What are you looking to do with it?
308 bolt face
Obviously any of the 308 family 243,260,7-08,358
The Creedmoors 22,6,6.5
8.6 BLACKOUT
375 Raptor, 45 Raptor
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I heavily fiddled with 45 raptor for a few years.

Loaded everything from machined 135 grain brass bullets over 3000 fps, to a 535 grain soft lead at both 1100 and 1500 fps.

Lots of hollow points in between of various weights.

Pros: versatile cartridge.
Cons: expensive, many .451 and .452 bullets grenade at 45 raptor efforts.

I'd do it again if i had more time and my buddy would sell me back my rifle. Haha.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:40:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cycolac] [#7]
With an opened up bolt face - some RSAUM's and WSSM's.

And probably some others.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:49:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Lots of cartridges fit an AR10-sized gun.  What do you want the gun to do?  The answer to that question helps narrow the list of cartridges.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:01:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#9]
Originally Posted By jos51700:
I'm familiar with how .458 Socom and .450 Bushmaster and similar cartridges fit within the AR15 platform. What cartridges will fit in a AR10 platform (magazines and receiver) and require primarily only bolt and barrel changes?

I'd like to build a longer-range rifle at least once in my life, and this will likely be it.

Or, should I just stick with .308? Anything I can build using a .308 bolt moves to the head of the class.
View Quote

Please don't take offence, but.....  

C'mon, man!  How about a little effort?  Anything that will fit in a short action bolt gun can be fitted to an AR.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:18:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Scott_S:
Lots of cartridges fit an AR10-sized gun.  What do you want the gun to do?  The answer to that question helps narrow the list of cartridges.
View Quote

I'm looking at the list to see where things stand for availability of components, applications, etc. Then will decide what might be fun based on that. Example, I have a metric shit-ton of .243 brass, and no .243....

And I've considered being 'that guy', and building an AR10 to shoot .223/5.56
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I don’t think I saw 338 Federal mentioned. I wanted one of those for a time. But I decided heavy 308 was about as good and easier to get/load. 358 Win might be fun. I want a medium bore gun at some point.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm sure this will be an extremely unpopular opinion, but I am not a big fan of the Creedmoor cartridges in an AR-10.
Cutting a bunch of case capacity and dangling the bullet way forward of the neck, then slamming it up the AR-10 feed ramp with a garage door spring behind the buffer, just seems like a bad idea to me.
What kind of run-out does your ammo have after going through all that?  Then after you attempt to bend the bullet sideways in the neck, that sharper shoulder slams into the ramp right behind it.
260 Rem and 243 seem like a much better idea when coupled with the AR-10 platform.

Tony

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:13:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a metric shit-ton of .243 brass, and no .243....
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:01:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9D1Alpha] [#14]
The .243 seems nice . 100gr and 1:10 twist
* I can see Ruger releasing a 243 win in the SFAR .
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TonyRumore:
I'm sure this will be an extremely unpopular opinion, but I am not a big fan of the Creedmoor cartridges in an AR-10.
Cutting a bunch of case capacity and dangling the bullet way forward of the neck, then slamming it up the AR-10 feed ramp with a garage door spring behind the buffer, just seems like a bad idea to me.
What kind of run-out does your ammo have after going through all that?  Then after you attempt to bend the bullet sideways in the neck, that sharper shoulder slams into the ramp right behind it.
260 Rem and 243 seem like a much better idea when coupled with the AR-10 platform.

Tony

View Quote

I can see what you're saying, but in reality it actually works quite well.  My tightest 5 round group with my 6.5 Creedmoor AR10 is .392 MOA
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 3one5:

I can see what you're saying, but in reality it actually works quite well.  My tightest 5 round group with my 6.5 Creedmoor AR10 is .392 MOA
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Tony

Both of these.

I've had the same though as Tony.  But in practice, it doesn't appear to actually beat up the rounds at all.  Also, SFAR IMHO is a notably milder experience, with a much lighter BCG.  It's far more pleasant to shoot than a standard AR10.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 5:38:19 PM EDT
[#18]
There is also the 475 bishop short mag ;

https://www.bishopammunition.com/AR-10-Style-Rifles-s/97.htm
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 8:55:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9D1Alpha] [#19]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

Both of these.

I've had the same though as Tony.  But in practice, it doesn't appear to actually beat up the rounds at all.  Also, SFAR IMHO is a notably milder experience, with a much lighter BCG.  It's far more pleasant to shoot than a standard AR10.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

Tony

Both of these.

After perusing the army 6.8 thread in GD I really think the .243 or 6.5cm in the SFAR is the best route . Given prices on 6.5cm I'd go that route but if you have a sizeable pile of .243 I'd do that.

* and the 6.5cm sfar is looking darn good
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top