Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2024 4:34:59 PM EDT
I purchased an LMT EBCG a while back, after about 1000rds I noticed my gas rings were completely worn out. When replacing them I looked in the gas ring run and saw that there were spiral "grooves" in it which were definitely what wore down the rings so bad. I sent photos to LMT and they took it in, and sent me a replacement. However, this new bolt carrier has a bigger problem- bolts don't fit in it very well. My E-Bolt doesn't fit at all. Another bolt I have has to be really forced to fit. I've sent another email to LMT but at this point I just wanna get this squared away and get rid of the thing, LMT QC seems to be in the tank from my perspective- if the replacement to a bad part is also bad then clearly they aren't earning their premium prices.

Just posting to warn others about QC issues with this LMT product.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 5:03:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: d16man] [#1]
@Muricha

This is a tech area and not GD.  See my incoming PM.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 6:13:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NewWind] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Muricha:
You’re a dog faced pony soldier.

See how easy it is to make accusations on public forums?
View Quote

Ok do you want me to post the pictures and emails from myself and LMT? What would be the best way to prove my new ebcg is faulty? Video of me being unable to insert a bolt?

What convinces you that I am lying?
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 6:16:58 PM EDT
[#3]
We'd love to see pics.  Ignore him, he forgot this is Tech.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
We'd love to see pics.  Ignore him, he forgot this is Tech.
View Quote

Pics incoming. Out of curiosity whats the best way to show that the bore is tighter than spec?
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Pics: https://imgur.com/a/INQ7g9g

Dunno how to embed them off hand so this will do for now. I'll figure out how to demonstrate the current issue with the bore being too tight after work.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By NewWind:

Pics incoming. Out of curiosity whats the best way to show that the bore is tighter than spec?
View Quote

go/nogo gauges would be best to check bore specs.  Someone on here way smarter than me can provide the nominal dim and tolerance
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 6:48:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By raverill:

go/nogo gauges would be best to check bore specs.  Someone on here way smarter than me can provide the nominal dim and tolerance
View Quote

I don't have go/no go gauges, would showing that bolts that fit comfortably in other carriers do not fit in this one be enough for most people?
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

The bore?  What has the bore to do with it?

Link Posted: 7/11/2024 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Would showing that bolts that fit comfortably in other carriers do not fit in this one be enough for most people?
View Quote

Be enough? Enough for what? What are you hoping to accomplish? It doesn't really matter if anyone here believes you or not. This is a public forum, no one can give you a new eBCG.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Can you film a video in your phone of how tight the fit is in the EBCG and another carrier and upload it to YouTube and post link here?
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ClangClang:

Be enough? Enough for what? What are you hoping to accomplish? It doesn't really matter if anyone here believes you or not. This is a public forum, no one can give you a new eBCG.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Would showing that bolts that fit comfortably in other carriers do not fit in this one be enough for most people?

This.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

This.
View Quote

This x2
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By NewWind:  Pics: https://imgur.com/a/INQ7g9g

Dunno how to embed them off hand so this will do for now. I'll figure out how to demonstrate the current issue with the bore being too tight after work.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/11/2024 10:02:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 10:17:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, that ain’t right.  Send it back to them, let them see it first hand
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks almost like some kind of roller burnishing failure. That surface is not gonna make a nice gas seal nor be kind to the gas rings.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 1:33:02 AM EDT
[#18]
The machining marks that you circled red is not a defect.  It is one of the features of LMT enhanced bolt carriers.
Quote from the LMT's website:

"Relief grooves added to the top and bottom to channel debris and maintain fluid movement"

These groves will not wear down bolt's gas rings.  Gas rings travel deeper in the channel during operation, and never touch these grooves.
Check the specs on LMT's website:
https://lmtdefense.com/product/full-auto-enhanced-5-56-bolt-carrier/
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 3:11:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

The bore inside the carrier.

It does I want to accomplish the goal of warning others about a quality issue like I had clearly stated in the title of this thread, however you apparently thought that reading comprehension should take a back seat to trying to make someone look like a fool on the internet.

If I thought anyone here would give me a new BCG I'd not have had it replaced by LMT in the first place. But whatever, being snarky is good too.

Yeah, that ain’t right.  Send it back to them, let them see it first hand

I did send it back, the one they returned to me didn't have the machining marks but now none of my bolts fit (including the e-bolt from them that I have). It's very frustrating.

Originally Posted By Richard257:
The machining marks that you circled red is not a defect.  It is one of the features of LMT enhanced bolt carriers.

"Relief grooves added to the top and bottom to channel debris and maintain fluid movement"

These groves will not wear down bolt's gas rings.  Gas rings travel deeper in the channel during operation, and never touch these grooves.

The one that LMT sent back is different/does not have those grooves.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 3:55:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NewWind] [#20]
Can you film a video in your phone of how tight the fit is in the EBCG and another carrier and upload it to YouTube and post link here?
View Quote

Hey, just took a video. Gonna get it uploaded but for now what it shows is three bolts, one is the E-Bolt from LMT (does not fit at all), a mil spec bolt from microbest (has to be forced in) and my very first bolt ever from PSA which has to be forced in but not quite as hard. Both the ones that fit feel pretty tight in the new eBCG, especially compared to how they feel on their native carriers. Of course I'd have liked to use the E-Bolt in the eBCG but it seems like that'll be impossible until I win the QC lottery with LMT. Gonna go make a YouTube account so upload may be tomorrow morning.

Edit: Here is the video. Noticed after I uploaded that I said "dirty, used" about a bolt that looked pretty clean, as I had cleaned it in an effort to see if that might be enough to ease any fitment issues- bothersome to misspeak like that but overall irrelevant to what I'm showing.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 5:21:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#21]

View All Quotes

Sand/dirt relief grooves were added to the top and bottom of the front portion of the bolt carrier.

Attachment Attached File

>the one they returned to me didn't have the machining marks but now none of my bolts fit (including the e-bolt from them that I have). It's very frustrating.

The one that LMT sent back is different/does not have those grooves.

Link Posted: 7/13/2024 10:45:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#22]
I’d send it back to LMT. With the disclaimer that I have an older enhanced carrier in a Colt m4a1, I think the LMT enhanced carrier is a solution in search of a problem for the contemporary AR15.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:
I’d send it back to LMT. With the disclaimer that I have an older enhanced carrier in a Colt m4a1, I think the LMT enhanced carrier is a solution in search of a problem for the contemporary AR15.
View Quote

Frankly I just wanted it to experiment with. I think the only thing that's pretty cool is having a way to increase unlocking time for pressures to decrease, but how much of an actual difference that makes on a modern AR really is dubious I think.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Hey, just took a video. Gonna get it uploaded but for now what it shows is three bolts, one is the E-Bolt from LMT (does not fit at all), a mil spec bolt from microbest (has to be forced in) and my very first bolt ever from PSA which has to be forced in but not quite as hard. Both the ones that fit feel pretty tight in the new eBCG, especially compared to how they feel on their native carriers. Of course I'd have liked to use the E-Bolt in the eBCG but it seems like that'll be impossible until I win the QC lottery with LMT. Gonna go make a YouTube account so upload may be tomorrow morning.

Edit: Here is the video. Noticed after I uploaded that I said "dirty, used" about a bolt that looked pretty clean, as I had cleaned it in an effort to see if that might be enough to ease any fitment issues- bothersome to misspeak like that but overall irrelevant to what I'm showing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By raverill:  Can you film a video in your phone of how tight the fit is in the EBCG and another carrier and upload it to YouTube and post link here?

Link Posted: 7/13/2024 9:27:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#25]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

Sand/dirt relief grooves were added to the top and bottom of the front portion of the bolt carrier.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Screenshot_20240712_041934_Samsung_Inter-3264138.JPG

View Quote

Thanks for the post and search skills. I looked for something to post that it was talking about the rails but could not find the info. Just mentioning that the gas rings went to or past the ports and area with the odd machining marks in the side didn't seem enough.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#26]
That carrier is definitely out of spec.  Doesn’t even appear to have any chrome in the bore.  Hopefully LMT takes care of you.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 12:34:51 AM EDT
[#27]

Frankly I just wanted it to experiment with. I think the only thing that's pretty cool is having a way to increase unlocking time for pressures to decrease, but how much of an actual difference that makes on a modern AR really is dubious I think.
View Quote

Did you end up sending it back? I just bought an enhanced carrier with the same issue. It's my second LMT enhanced carrier, and I was able to swap the bolts between them to get it to work. After seeing your post, I'm thinking about contacting LMT about it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 1:54:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Nerdish:

Did you end up sending it back? I just bought an enhanced carrier with the same issue. It's my second LMT enhanced carrier, and I was able to swap the bolts between them to get it to work. After seeing your post, I'm thinking about contacting LMT about it.
View Quote

I was actually gonna make a.post today, they did indeed make it right. The newest one fit the bolt and I gave it and the upper it was in to my dad. Third time's the charm, I guess.

Because they didn't ask me to send the undersized one back, I was able to continue examining it, and I found what looks like it could be causing the problem but it's subtle enough visually that I don't think I could capture it with my dogshit phone camera, it looks like about 2/3rds of an inch into the bore of the carrier the finish gets rough, and when using a toothpick over the area it does feel more rough.

It might be a while before I can get a photo, but I do have a buddy who has a good camera so he and I will just have to make sure and get my BCG and his camera in the same room sometime soon
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#29]

I was actually gonna make a.post today, they did indeed make it right. The newest one fit the bolt and I gave it and the upper it was in to my dad. Third time's the charm, I guess.

Because they didn't ask me to send the undersized one back, I was able to continue examining it, and I found what looks like it could be causing the problem but it's subtle enough visually that I don't think I could capture it with my dogshit phone camera, it looks like about 2/3rds of an inch into the bore of the carrier the finish gets rough, and when using a toothpick over the area it does feel more rough.

It might be a while before I can get a photo, but I do have a buddy who has a good camera so he and I will just have to make sure and get my BCG and his camera in the same room sometime soon
View Quote

Awesome - thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top