Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2022 1:24:36 PM EDT
I tried posting this in their industry page but apparently nobody there has one

Does anyone know

- What is the inner diameter of Larue's quad rails?

- Any issues running lo pro GB under the rail?

- What is the actual length of their 9" and 12" rails? Do they match up well with FSB's at mid and rifle length (AKA approx. 9.25" and 12.625")?

If anyone has pics of their set up with a Larue quad rail, I'd love to see them, especially the 9" and 12" versions.

I'd love to get some idea if these will work for my intended use without waiting 8-12 months or more just to get one in hand and find out they won't..
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Why Larue? Are you cloning something? If not, I'd go Daniel Defense or Centurion Arms for lighter and continuous top rail from upper.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 2:38:47 PM EDT
[#2]
My 9” comes in just over 9.25” from the face of the upper receiver. I run a low profile gas block. No issues but it’s tight. Adjustable may not be an option.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why Larue? Are you cloning something? If not, I'd go Daniel Defense or Centurion Arms for lighter and continuous top rail from upper.
View Quote

This. The MBT and UU kits are crazy good, but unless you’re going retro their handguards are probably the most outdated rail still on the market.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I really, really like Mark's 9-inch and 12-inch rails -- and would have more if they weren't backed up since Wu-flu.  :(

For half-a-dozen guns that's the only reason I went with alternatives.  SLR, BCM, Midwest, Daniel.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 3:00:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This. The MBT and UU kits are crazy good, but unless you’re going retro their handguards are probably the most outdated rail still on the market.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Outdated?  They’re not any more outdated than a Centurion, BCM, or DD quad. You don’t bridge the gap anyway so the mono top rail is just aesthetics. The way a LaRue attaches to the barrel nut is orders of magnitude stronger than the ‘modern’ ones.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Outdated?  They’re not any more outdated than a Centurion, BCM, or DD quad. You don’t bridge the gap anyway so the mono top rail is just aesthetics. The way a LaRue attaches to the barrel nut is orders of magnitude stronger than the ‘modern’ ones.
View Quote

A BCM 9.0 weighs 6 ounces. A Larue 9.0 weighs almost 13 ounces.

I’ve never heard of a BCM barrel nut or rail breaking. Hell, I’ve never even heard of a quality aluminum barrel nut breaking, or even causing accuracy issues.

ETA: To keep it fair, a 9 inch QRF weighs 8.8 ounces compared to the Larue. The Larue LAT weighs 14.6 ounces in 13” configuration, while the 13” MCMR weighs 10. It’s still a viable rail, I just wouldn’t choose it and expect a bit more from Larue than leaning on a 17 year old accessory add on.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#8]
9"

12"

Link Posted: 3/4/2022 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I’ve never heard of a BCM barrel nut or rail breaking. Hell, I’ve never even heard of a quality aluminum barrel nut breaking, or even causing accuracy issues.

ETA: To keep it fair, a 9 inch QRF weighs 8.8 ounces compared to the Larue. The Larue LAT weighs 14.6 ounces in 13” configuration, while the 13” MCMR weighs 10. It’s still a viable rail, I just wouldn’t choose it and expect a bit more from Larue than leaning on a 17 year old accessory add on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A QRF9 weighs 11.1 oz with the barrel nut, so less than two oz difference for a slip over the barrel nut rail vs the strongest rail mount ever.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#10]
9.25" OAL as stated above.

They are picky regarding GB choices...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A QRF9 weighs 11.1 oz with the barrel nut, so less than two oz difference for a slip over the barrel nut rail vs the strongest rail mount ever.
View Quote

Eh, unless you’re looking for nostalgia it’s just dead weight. I think IED strikes are the only time I’ve seen the front fall off a rifle.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not cloning, but I appreciate heavy duty quad rails. Centurion's C4 is great and I have a few but I believe the Larue is stronger. As a bonus they are classy imo, a classic.

Quoted:
My 9” comes in just over 9.25” from the face of the upper receiver. I run a low profile gas block. No issues but it’s tight. Adjustable may not be an option.
View Quote

Thank you!

Excellent, thank you Molon!

Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed, I hope quads never die. I can't personally vouch for Larue's attachment method strength but I have heard they are solid!

Quoted:
9.25" OAL as stated above.

They are picky regarding GB choices...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Screenshot_20220304-160528_Samsung_Inter-2301321.JPG
View Quote

Excellent thanks Tig! Those measurements are bigger than Centurion's C4 in height at least.

Link Posted: 3/4/2022 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Kinda, sorta? It's cool though
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Why is a continous top rail necessary when everyone is running cantilever mount
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why is a continous top rail necessary when everyone is running cantilever mount
View Quote

Not everyone runs cantilever scope mounts and it's good to have options.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 10:08:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly!  
After flying "economy" in which the LaRue rail and then the gov prof barrel held my weight, at that time maybe about 161lbs + roughly 30 pounds of "gear," the barrel was bent to shit, but the LaRue rail hadn't budged more than a mm when the armorer checked the rifle.
He installed another barrel, and essentially did not even have to re-zero the weapon's iron sights.  My favorite rail all time is the original Daniel Defense M4 rails, but the LaRue is the toughest, probably by far.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 12:20:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Daniel Defense original M4 rail was very similar to the LaRue, which is an improved copy of the original Knight’s FFRAS.

That threaded collar flange mount is ridiculously strong but the barrel nut has to be times and that’s apparently a difficult task these days.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 4:57:28 AM EDT
[#18]
I like my LaRue 12.0. It's rock solid, not super heavy but not super light either, and well made. The only thing a modern rail from Midwest, CMT, etc has on a LaRue is not having to index the barrel nut for the gas tube. The LaRue is pretty skinny for a quad rail. It's much slimmer than the Centurion C4.

LaRue 12.0 on a 20" barrel with a rifle length gas system and ARMS folding FSB

Same rail with a 16" mid barrel. Gas block is under the handguard.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 10:04:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted: Not everyone runs cantilever scope mounts and it's good to have options.
View Quote

Every time I see a scope ring mounted on a handguard, I cringe.

The only uppers I trust to have a ring mounted on the toprail are monolithic like LMT or Colt.  A Vltor VIS would probably work too.

I recently found a Larue 12 for sale and have paid the seller.  I'll be putting it on a Shilen barreled upper I've been working on for a while.  It won't be a SAM-R clone to the nth degree, but I am putting a lot of SAM-R cues into that rifle.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Eh, unless you’re looking for nostalgia it’s just dead weight. I think IED strikes are the only time I’ve seen the front fall off a rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The weight is the big steel barrel nut.  That far back it’s not really noticeable.  The actual rail part is not any heavier, and maybe lighter than a BCM QRF as it is not a tube with rails on it like the BCM.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I like my LaRue 12.0. It's rock solid, not super heavy but not super light either, and well made. The only thing a modern rail from Midwest, CMT, etc has on a LaRue is not having to index the barrel nut for the gas tube. The LaRue is pretty skinny for a quad rail. It's much slimmer than the Centurion C4.

https://i.imgur.com/xg4QOQn.jpg
LaRue 12.0 on a 20" barrel with a rifle length gas system and ARMS folding FSB

https://i.imgur.com/4otdjxB.jpg?1
Same rail with a 16" mid barrel. Gas block is under the handguard.
View Quote

absolutely sick! Thank you for posting these.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top