Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/23/2024 4:29:28 PM EDT
Looking to get a sling setup for my general purpose SHTF AR

I know nothing about slings, however when searching, I believe a 2-point is what I would want.

I have currently have a CTR Stock with a QD sling mount, BCM QD End Plate and a BCM MCMR-SM Quick Detachable Sling Mount. Not sure if the Stock or End plate would be the best location as well as the best place to mount the BCM MCMR-SM.

Also, what sling would you recommend? I was looking at this one:

https://www.trex-arms.com/store/New-Sling/
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Edgar Sherman Design slings are my go to, I’m up to 10 or 12 now. As for mounting locations, it will vary due to personal preference and whether you have a bunch of other stuff mounted on your handguard. As a general rule, I want my sling attachment points as far fore and aft as possible. The farther apart they are, the more stable the sling is.

https://www.edgarshermandesign.com/product/esd-sling/
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I've tried various slings over the years including ones on my duty rifles at work... I've come back to a simple 2-point sling.

99% of the people will be served just fine with a cheap MS1 sling and good quality mounts.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 5:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Be advised that the metal quick adjustment hardware like that found on wellsmade slings will scratch your rifle, if you care. Wellsmade makes some cool slings btw. Adjust smoothly with fun patterns.

All 2 point slings pretty much operate the same though some are easier to adjust than others. It really comes down to what type of attachments you need to make it happen.  QD requires mlok or built in attachment locations. My M4 knockoff uses clash hooks. Some simply attach through a slot with no hardware.

Generally,  unless you know you need something specific,  any 2 point sling with QDs will likely work on a modern rifle.

Do you want padding? Or a wider strap ?
Do you want silent attachments that don't rattle?
Do you want some bungee element to the sling?
Things to think about.  But it's not critical. I even have some for my retro rifles that are made with old surplus General purpose straps with paracord as an attachment. Very comfortable but not adjustable or quickly removable.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 5:34:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dalle0001] [#4]
You have to kind of test it out yourself. Some people like it on the farthest points of the rifle while others like it as close to the center. Or something in between where they have one that is really far off and the other really close to the center.

It really depends on your body shape and what sort of setup you feel comfortable with. For myself, I like it as close to the center as possible and be able to have a convertible sling from 2 to 1.

I use a VTAC sling myself which runs about 50 bucks and you can get the qd hardware. The military still issues the web sling but the Marines recently started issuing BFG Vickers sling. The military also uses some other sling types like the DJ sling that comes with mounting hardware that you can buy off ebay for about 20-30 bucks. I personally do not use the BFG Vickers sling since it is a product endorsed by Larry Vickers and as such have a strict no Vicker products policy when buying things.

The only advice I have really is to not go cheap on the QD hardware. This is the most critical part. So if you get bcm qd points, I would recommend buying the bcm qd swivels as well. Don't buy cheap ones off amazon as they can break or not lock into the female end and your rifle will hit the ground. You'll have to make sure you push it in and give it a good tug while rotating. It should last you a life time and then some on good quality ones.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 5:35:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCNick] [#5]
Agree w/above....
All I use mine for is to walk around the range while pasting targets and stuff so I don't constantly have to find a place to put the gun down, but I learned pretty quickly that metal sling hardware will scratch up both you/your clothes, and your gun, so now I stick with plastic for that.  I also like a small shoulder pad if you're going to be wearing it slung for a while.

I haven't used them all (or even most of them) but the Vickers/Blue Force sling is working well for me at this point.  And another vote for not going cheap on the QDs (neither the male or female parts) if you are using those.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I appreciate all the input.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 8:05:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Long_Live_Don] [#8]
2 point quick adjusts are the way to go. Definitely don't buy cheap attachment points on amazon etc. Popular brands that are hard to beat are ferro concepts, blue force gear, viking/vtac, edgar sherman. Smaller companies that are popular and I have experience with are warhorse concepts, wellsmade, citizengear.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 9:50:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#9]
Magpul RLS.

Cheap. Best of web sling simplicity, best of M1907 support.

Don't mount to the endplate. Handguard. Stock.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 10:03:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Haven't seen WarHorseConcepts slings mentioned yet - they are fantastic. Pair em' with two Magpul QD points and you've got a really reliable sling setup for $50-60ish. They are fantastic, I've been using them for around three years now, and the owner is a great guy!
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#12]
You will be hard pressed to wear out a BFG Vickers sling.

Citizen Gear Co. Is another solid sling manufacturer, owned by an arfcommer.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I started with Magpul MS3 and MS4. Then I discovered I don't like where the buckle to make it single point sits; it's right at my jaw. Switched to Blue Force Gear Vickers alings and have about 10. Recently tried out the Edgar Sherman Designs slings for some new AK's and I really like them also.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:56:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I think I have 4 VTac slings and 2 magpul.
I like the magpul, but if you told me I could only have one, probably vtac
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:11:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JKinAZ] [#15]
Magpul ms1 with a rail mount QD attachment at the front and threaded through the slot on the stock. As someone else said, avoid cheap QD hardware, and anything with the QD button flush or above the top of the body. They will dump your rifle at some point.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Specter Gear CST 3 point here.  first rifle I bought a sling for was a FrankenFal I put a railed top cover on, turned it into a heavy pig.  found Specter Gear. now I have 4 of their slings.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#17]
VTAC Mk2

Or

BFG GMT

Both are useful
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#18]
CTR Stock with a QD sling mount will spin on you and make you hate slings. constantly in the wrong spot bound up. on each rifle use 2 loops of para cord front and rear instead. 2 because 2 is one and one is none should one come undone by melting against a hot barrel etc.f
next grab you a usgi utility sling vietnam era green cotton canvas. its extremely wide and soft and wont get in way of buttplate when you shoulder if in the wrong spot. its soft so its a non issue.

the usgi utility slings have snap hooks on each end which you put a giant paracord loop onto and loop around any gun quickly thats rigged up with paracord loops. this is known as vietnam style field expedient sling although some still dont get it that you use a giant loop of cord on each end of the sling itself and the gun so that its true quick detach.

only draw back is they get wet and soak up water if caught in rain. adds extra weight on rainy days because its soft cotton blend.

there are more modern slings but they mostly have bling features you dont need and are too heavy and bulky so shop carefully. the modern simple slings that are any good seem to be on the overpriced side. a good sling should be simple yet reliable and silent.

some slings will come unbuckled and damage your rifle barrel if muzzle hits ground sideways dropped against hard surface. some make noise especially metal hooks on plastic handguards. you can use heat shrink rubber gasket hose from hardware store to silence hooks and some make covers that cover the hooks completely with canvas. a noisy sling can ruin your hunt and possibly get you killed if giving away your position to someone who might shoot at you for instance.

the sling needs to quick detach in my opinion because if it doesnt you run into multiple problems. problem 1 is gun oil from cleaning gets all over it over time and soaks in and gets all over your clothes from then on until you replace it.  and it stinks like an oil soaked rag to any game animals should you take it hunting.

problem 2 is that there are certain times when slings are not needed and get in the way such as when being used indoors or for home defense or in vehicles constant. when i say get it the way im talking about snagging on everything to include door knobs and handles to table corners and your own gear. not to mention the inevitable moment from time to time when the sling ends up between your mag and mag well during a fast reload.

proper positioning of front sling mount location and handling technique is key to avoid mag well blockage once you make or find a sling youre happy with.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 12:38:43 AM EDT
[#19]
NSN# 8465-00-269-0682. they make modern ones in nylon now too.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Blue force gear Vickers is the standard all others are judged by.  I've yet to see a reason to buy anything else, save retro.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#21]
BFG VCAS is my go to. There may be better, but I've seen no reason to change. I prefer the front attachment at the rear of to handguard and the rear attachment at the opposite (strong) side rear of the stock. I sling mine muzzle down in front. Works for me
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#22]
If you’re going to be wearing your rifle for any length of time, the wide padded version of whatever sling is a clutch option.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hodgescl:
If you’re going to be wearing your rifle for any length of time, the wide padded version of whatever sling is a clutch option.
View Quote

A local company makes guitar straps from surplus seat belt material. I'd imagine a seatbelt strap would distribute the weight of a rifle well.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 11:46:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jdk1] [#24]
I have a couple of seat belt slings that were from a special run years ago.  They're soft, wide and ungodly strong. You don't need a pad with them. The material is perfect for a sling.  The problem is they both have HK clips and I use QR slings

ETA: the color is cool as Hell.  It's a retro OD green color, with a hint of shine.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 11:32:20 AM EDT
[#25]
All my serious rifles have Blue Force Gears on them, everything else gets Citizen Gear for the $ savings.

Mostly BCM for QD. Position depends on your rifle setup and preferance, generally I prefer far appart but have one set up where the QD sits on magwell side of the Handguard of a long rifle (18"+supressor)  which makes it easier to maneuver.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 8:40:21 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm old school soldier, M1907 for hunting/long range shooting and just simple 2 point 1.25" web sling.  Army is still buying and issuing M1907s.  Just got one in from supply made in 02/24.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Blacktoothgrin:
Blue force gear Vickers is the standard all others are judged by.  I've yet to see a reason to buy anything else, save retro.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/21/2024 9:52:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#28]
Originally Posted By Make_Mine_Moxie:
You will be hard pressed to wear out a BFG Vickers sling.

Citizen Gear Co. Is another solid sling manufacturer, owned by an arfcommer.
View Quote

It may be old now but I put one on my rifle for work and found none better but it was my third sling on it and I quit looking as it did everything I needed when I worked LE.  

I tried a three point, forget which one, not a cheap one back in the day.  I despised it with the length that interfered with the L side of the gun.   I am sure I wasn’t set up quite right though.   iirc it was a Spectre gear.
I also tried other people’s and work owned with single point ball knockers.  They’re not that great in my honest opinion.

The OEM M1 military Nylon sling was just fair obviously, better than no sling when you need a sling.

It’s buy a BFG Vickers again if I needed another.

I am a fat old guy that shoots guns now.  Was never one of the high speed cool kids.  I did watch the wannabes at the department go through all the latest trends. Some of it was comical.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 3:47:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Musketjon] [#29]
It's hard to beat the old M1907 sling. Use it for carry or support when shooting in position. I use 'em on every thing from my Krag to my AR.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 11:44:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnDough] [#30]
After trying these, the Magpul padded MS1 is my favorite:

Haley Strategic Lightweight/haplon
Lead Facucet Tactical
VTAC padded
Warrior Poet Society
ED Sherman
Forward Design Controls
Blue Force Gear/Vickers
Second Best Sling (GBRS)
Flatline Fiber

Why do I like the Magpul?

-It's padding is minimalist but effective.
-The length adjustment mechanism moves smoothly and well.
-No metal to clank and clack against gear or the rifle.
-There are no tails, tabs, etc to snag, get confused in the dark, etc.
-It's just very comfortable to use, especially with a heavier gun such as one with lpvo, mfal, can, etc.
-Tubular construction means a zero step or seam transition to padded area, and over hours upon hours, even well blended stitch lines can rub the trap area when Slung, I've found.

$45 on Amazon.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#31]
I am also looking. Wondering if there would be any issues using the sling attachment that came on my rifle on the bottom of the front sight base immediately forward of the handguard? I have a B5 Bravo stock in the rear that I would like to use a quick detach with on the right side. I like the look of the ESD sling. Any issues running it like that or will I need to add a QD on the left side of the handguard instead of using the existing one on the bottom?
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Heatwave:
I am also looking. Wondering if there would be any issues using the sling attachment that came on my rifle on the bottom of the front sight base immediately forward of the handguard? I have a B5 Bravo stock in the rear that I would like to use a quick detach with on the right side. I like the look of the ESD sling. Any issues running it like that or will I need to add a QD on the left side of the handguard instead of using the existing one on the bottom?
View Quote

All depends on how you use your rifle.  Just carrying it to and from the car to the bench or actually using the rifle in a class or real world?

The problem you will discover by mounting it to the sling swivel was designed to be carried over the shoulder (parade carry).  If you try to carry the weapon across the front of the body, they gun will turn outward making carrying akward.  That is why people move the attachment point to the side.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 2:43:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vague] [#33]
BFG VTAS or Magpul. Plain ol' silent sling is also still relevant.

(If CAR then 2qt canteen strap for the proper vibe)
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#34]
This rifle will be just for fun unless some bad shit goes down, God forbid. Not for work or duty. Have lots of other stuff for hunting. Probably using it just for carrying to the bench or maybe in the field a bit. I learned to shoot rifles using the sling to steady the rifle by wrapping it around my forearm. That is what I want the sling for the most honestly, extra stability to help brace the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 3:19:50 PM EDT
[#35]
This rifle will be just for fun unless some bad shit goes down, God forbid. Not for work or duty. Have lots of other stuff for hunting. Probably using it just for carrying to the bench or maybe in the field a bit. I learned to shoot rifles using the sling to steady the rifle by wrapping it around my forearm. That is what I want the sling for the most honestly, extra stability to help brace the rifle.
View Quote

See my post above reference the M1907 sling for stability.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

See my post above reference the M1907 sling for stability.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 1:03:11 AM EDT
[#37]
View Quote
Forearm eh?
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:01:01 PM EDT
[#38]
I ordered a sling. Went with Flatline Fabric Co padded.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
Forearm eh?
View Quote

Actually its some upper arm and some forearm, I think I am describing it poorly.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top