Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2018 1:53:17 PM EDT
I've decided to build my first rifle (I have a pistol I've built already) and I have everything assembled except I haven't decided on a muzzle device yet.

I'm leaning towards a vg6 epsilon with cage device, honestly I just like the way the setup looks. Waiting on the 4th of July sale at Schuyler arms for $40 each so I have time incase I decide on something else.

I'm looking for other suggestions and dont have any real requirements other than I dont plan to suppress this rifle so any suppressor compatable devices really aren't needed. This will be a range toy or possibly try out 2/3 gun with it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I just got done with a bcm 14.5 build a few weeks back , i used a surefire muzzle break i love it shoots very flat , i believe the surefire muzzle break pro would be the one for you to check out as it isnt meant to be run with a can
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Replaced the Mini YComp....... with a YHM Phantom.  Saved my hearing and no more headaches
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 8:49:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Smith vortex or surefire anything
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:07:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I just found the strike industries king comp, does anyone run that, I'm interested to see how well the angled ports do with reducing concussion. I also like the strike industries venom flash hider, just have to mod it to stop the ringing.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Take it from me. I did once as you plan to do. Just get an SBR lower. You will spend nearly as much on a long flash hider and a professional welding service as you will on a SBR stamp, and you will be able to change gas blocks and muzzle devices, use as many short uppers as you like, and overall not screw yourself over in the long run. Just SBR a lower.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:17:27 PM EDT
[#6]
PWS FSC. Put one on a 14.5 Hanson Profile Ballistic Advantage barrel paired up with a Centurion M-Lok 13.7" rail. Even with the .750" diameter gas block seat and consequently heavier barrel, it balances real nice and recoil impulse is light. I love the FSC, I put one on an AR10 build, and she is a smooooth shooter.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:19:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Smith vortex or surefire anything
View Quote
This is how I roll...
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 10:03:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Take it from me. I did once as you plan to do. Just get an SBR lower. You will spend nearly as much on a long flash hider and a professional welding service as you will on a SBR stamp, and you will be able to change gas blocks and muzzle devices, use as many short uppers as you like, and overall not screw yourself over in the long run. Just SBR a lower.
View Quote
If it was only that easy, I live across state lines from any range I can goto, so having an sbr just isnt going to work for me. Otherwise I would have already done so.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#9]
If not using for a suppressor attachment I almost feel as though it’s irrelevant these days. So many good muzzle brakes out there. Just pick one. My top are...

PWS FSC
AAC muzzle brake
Lantac Dragon
Surefire SOCOM MB
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 10:35:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. 110%
Put a cheap pistol brace on it until the stamp is approved, sell the brace when your stamp is approved to get most of that money back. Buy a stock. So many more better stock options versus a brace and 10.5"/11.5" is SOOOO much better than 14.5"

But, if you're dead set on a pinned device I would suggest to pick a mount for a suppressor that you like now... it might be feasible for you to get a can later.

And if you really want to not have an SBR or silencer, there's a ton of quality muzzle devices, but on a 14.5" I'd go with a prong style hider that's long enough to make 16" pinned. Personally, I think the AAC Blackout  (non-mount) is the best hider considering that it's not overly long, super quality, not too expensive, and ridiculously effective. They're only about $45, 17-4 stainless with a nitride finish, and 2.125" (makes a 14.5" barrel 16.025" when pinned, longer if using a crush washer).
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 12:09:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Voodoo Manimal flash hider is an extended A2 that is .75" diameter to facilitate gas block/barrel nut removal.

Otherwise just a regular extended A2.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This. 110%
Put a cheap pistol brace on it until the stamp is approved, sell the brace when your stamp is approved to get most of that money back. Buy a stock. So many more better stock options versus a brace and 10.5"/11.5" is SOOOO much better than 14.5"

But, if you're dead set on a pinned device I would suggest to pick a mount for a suppressor that you like now... it might be feasible for you to get a can later.

And if you really want to not have an SBR or silencer, there's a ton of quality muzzle devices, but on a 14.5" I'd go with a prong style hider that's long enough to make 16" pinned. Personally, I think the AAC Blackout  (non-mount) is the best hider considering that it's not overly long, super quality, not too expensive, and ridiculously effective. They're only about $45, 17-4 stainless with a nitride finish, and 2.125" (makes a 14.5" barrel 16.025" when pinned, longer if using a crush washer).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This. 110%

How bad is the pinging on the blackout?
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Doesn’t the Arfcom store sell extended muzzle devices?
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Vg6 or Lantac dragon for your use.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 1:31:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Topped my 14.5 with an extended A2 from AR15.com. (this site). Nice product at a good price.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 1:31:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Topped my 14.5 with an extended A2 from AR15.com. (this site). Nice product at a good price.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If not using for a suppressor attachment I almost feel as though it’s irrelevant these days. So many good muzzle brakes out there. Just pick one. My top are...

PWS FSC
AAC muzzle brake
Lantac Dragon
Surefire SOCOM MB
View Quote
I run the VG6 Epsilon 556, is the Surefire worth the extra cost?
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Faxon skinny brakes

You can always get a Faxon barrel with a skinny brake that the gas block will slide over.   Or get just the brake itself if you have a barrel
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If it was only that easy, I live across state lines from any range I can goto, so having an sbr just isnt going to work for me. Otherwise I would have already done so.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
14.5’s pinned are dumb.You can either fill out an ATF form 5320.20 (IIRC) every year, it’s good for a year, that allows you to take it to those ranges as many times as you want. Or build another pistol. I also USED to have a 14.5 pinned. Then I really wanted suppressors and I couldn’t use my suppressor with that rifle. When geissele rails were coming out I wanted one. Couldn’t put it on my 14.5 so got rid of it.

It’s very over rated unless your going for clone.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 9:38:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Voodoo Manimal flash hider is an extended A2 that is .75" diameter to facilitate gas block/barrel nut removal.

Otherwise just a regular extended A2.
View Quote
A bit pricey but I'd go Manimal.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top