Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2022 1:03:49 PM EDT
I'm looking for flashlight and pressure switch mounting options that will mount on a M16A2 handguard.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out the Surefire M500A and get a Malkoff Devices LED upgrade for it.  Awesome setup

Link Posted: 12/27/2022 2:08:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I would like the Surefire M511a handguards but they are very hard to find.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

IWC is tits.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 5:52:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

IWC or go home...
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I went old school for the whole A2 theme:

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 11:55:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Love the old school Weaver rail. Been thinking of doing one similar.  Got a pic of it from the inside? What model is that? Is it just sitting on the ribs or did you shave them down?
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope, didn't shave anything, no need too, had plenty of room under the heat shield.
Just two stainless steel machine screws, nuts and lock washers (and loctite).

" />
" />

Sorry about the mud! lol

" />
Fits under the heat shield with no bulge.

" />
" />
" />
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Awesome pics. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Zip ties and 100 MPH tape is how we attached stuff to our M16A2s when I was in.

Actually the only time we had anything mounted was if we were issued a starlight scope. And normally only the 60 gunners were issued those.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:58:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I finally got my flashlight mounted. I used a piece of 1913 rail and turned some inserts for the handguard.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:41:03 AM EDT
[#13]

This seems like the best option so far from what I've seen.  My only question now is this.  Since you have to specify a specific ring size to pair with a specific light, what does everyone recommend as a good light option.  Something durable with strong light throw and good battery light but not unduly big / bulky?  Looking for something I can keep in a mollee light pouch on my lbe which can be thrown on my rifle (or just used in hand) as needed?
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 4:36:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Since you have to specify a specific ring size to pair with a specific light, what does everyone recommend as a good light option.  Something durable with strong light throw and good battery light but not unduly big / bulky?  Looking for something I can keep in a mollee light pouch on my lbe which can be thrown on my rifle (or just used in hand) as needed?
View Quote

Surefire G2X Tactical
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:05:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Surefire G2X Tactical
View Quote

Solid kit.

6PX Pro for dual function.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 4:10:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Are there any lights that are decent and take AAs?  I know some lights can take AAs as well as CRs.

Does the surefire recommended above have different brightness settings for prolonged on time?
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 4:43:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Are there any lights that are decent and take AAs?  I know some lights can take AAs as well as CRs.

Does the surefire recommended above have different brightness settings for prolonged on time?
View Quote

The G2X Tactical is a single output 600L, there's a G2X Pro which has a dual output 600/200L I believe.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 9:45:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Just a question as I don't own either system, but wouldn't the kern system be better since it allows you to attach via standard rail attachment vs having to have a dedicated non rail ring mounted light that couldn't attach to any other weapon system?

Why do you prefer the IWC?  If the IWC's mounting system was a rail instead of bolt on ring mount it would be ideal due to being lower profile. Any other A2 attachment systems like the IWC that have a rail? (not a fan of the FSB clamp mounts)

My only issue with the kern systems mount is that it detaches with the huge mounting system so can't really be used as a handlight when detached and won't fit in most molle light pouches (nor can it be quickly swapped between different weapons).
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 3:26:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Just a question as I don't own either system, but wouldn't the kern system be better since it allows you to attach via standard rail attachment vs having to have a dedicated non rail ring mounted light that couldn't attach to any other weapon system?

Why do you prefer the IWC?  If the IWC's mounting system was a rail instead of bolt on ring mount it would be ideal due to being lower profile. Any other A2 attachment systems like the IWC that have a rail? (not a fan of the FSB clamp mounts)

My only issue with the kern systems mount is that it detaches with the huge mounting system so can't really be used as a handlight when detached and won't fit in most molle light pouches (nor can it be quickly swapped between different weapons).
View Quote

The IWC lets me use either a 1'' light or a scout light. It is much lower profile and thus lighter. The ergonomics of it work on both my A2 dissy and my 733.
I suppose you could add those rail sections they make for A2 handguards, but then you'd need an offset mount. the IWC is just a simple, effective mount for what are not "primary" guns.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:05:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The IWC lets me use either a 1'' light or a scout light. It is much lower profile and thus lighter. The ergonomics of it work on both my A2 dissy and my 733.
I suppose you could add those rail sections they make for A2 handguards, but then you'd need an offset mount. the IWC is just a simple, effective mount for what are not "primary" guns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The thing I don't understand is why IWC didn't make the attachment end a rail section instead of the ring mount which needs a tool to attach / detach?  Makes it quasi permanent since needing a tool in the field to add or remove isn't fast or convenient.  

All they had to do is make the attachment end look like so,

It's crazy to me that they didn't do that.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:22:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Cheap go with the Fab defense

Or go with a offering from impact weapons components.

Both work.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 5:20:42 PM EDT
[#22]
well another option that’s a perfect fit actually and designed for this application is the Streamlight TLR1 mount on Amazon for $8.81.. just saying
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#23]
My next 20” A2 is going to get an M5 RAS. I’m not sure why but around 05-06 time frame in Iraq, I recall seeing a few A2s with M5s. I’m not sure why they were set up like that because I don’t recall any kind of PEQs or even lights for that matter. I do think they look neat that way though and it would solve the problem of mounting a light.

No mine, but set up like I’m talking about.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#24]
https://www.gggaz.com/the-dually-dual-rail-front-sight-accessory-mount.html

Rock solid, no drilling required, works with any pic railed light, places a typical SF tailcap switch in a good place for using your weakside thumb to activate
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 7:14:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
well another option that’s a perfect fit actually and designed for this application is the Streamlight TLR1 mount on Amazon for $8.81.. just saying
View Quote

Link?  Can't find it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 9:57:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Link?  Can't find it.
View Quote

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AVX6G?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 10:39:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Not an offset mount so won't work.

I decided to go with the following set up which I believe is the best available for a standard A1/A2 GI style rifle.

1. Midwest Industries AR Short Rail Forearm Mount

This rail section is supposed to mount perfectly inside a standard USGI Carry handle A2 vent hole.  Plan to mount this in the top forward most hole.

2. JP Enterprises 45 Degree Offset Adaptor JPROS

Perfect low profile and rugged offset mount adapter to mount to the midwest short rail section.

This set up is very light weight, low profile, and perhaps most importantly, not an eye sore to the beautiful aesthetics of the KISS GI rifles.

Any pertinacity mountable light can quickly and easily attach and come on and off the gun with no tools (I prefer the thumb turnable mounts for this reason).  It also doesn't loose comparability with any of the other guns and one can swap lights between them freely.

IMHO this is by far the best light mounting option in the entire thread, far better than everything else suggested above.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 11:06:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Nope, didn't shave anything, no need too, had plenty of room under the heat shield.
Just two stainless steel machine screws, nuts and lock washers (and loctite).

https://i.imgur.com/zeqmesY.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/zeqmesY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/EgnkkDg.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/EgnkkDg.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/33qMcy3.jpg
Sorry about the mud! lol

https://i.imgur.com/xxGmwts.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/xxGmwts.jpg
Fits under the heat shield with no bulge.

https://i.imgur.com/brRRuua.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/brRRuua.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/s89VQMq.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/s89VQMq.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Z8cl9Ng.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/Z8cl9Ng.jpg
View Quote

By far my favorite way to mount a light on the older ones.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 11:30:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The thing I don't understand is why IWC didn't make the attachment end a rail section instead of the ring mount which needs a tool to attach / detach?  Makes it quasi permanent since needing a tool in the field to add or remove isn't fast or convenient.  

All they had to do is make the attachment end look like so,

https://www.gggaz.com/images/detailed/4/Mossnerg_590_Light_Mount.jpg
It's crazy to me that they didn't do that.
View Quote

Well, then go into their industry forum and tell them they're wrong. I am sure Earl will listen. The ring is not overly troublesome for what it is and what it can hold. Like I said, I have two now and enjoy them. If I want to swap either for a scout light, it's not that hard.

Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:18:46 PM EDT
[#32]
the streamlight 69902 is made to mount perfectly either in the handguard vent holes at 6 or 12 o’clock OR on the side, it has molded spaces for ribs and a taper built in.

I have this and multiple of the IWC which I love.. esp for carbine handguards but costs more ..

Also my IWC takes my scout light but also my Inforce WML and Streamlight TLR1 slide right on and lock  just fine.

No extra pieces needed but a Weaver ring will also work on the Streamlight 69902. It’s $8.81 at Amazon but if it makes you feel better to pay more most shops sell it for just under $30
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 12:24:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
the streamlight 69902 is made to mount perfectly either in the handguard vent holes at 6 or 12 o’clock OR on the side, it has molded spaces for ribs and a taper built in.

I have this and multiple of the IWC which I love.. esp for carbine handguards but costs more ..

Also my IWC takes my scout light but also my Inforce WML and Streamlight TLR1 slide right on and lock  just fine.

No extra pieces needed but a Weaver ring will also work on the Streamlight 69902. It’s $8.81 at Amazon but if it makes you feel better to pay more most shops sell it for just under $30
View Quote

Why would I want to mount a light directly behind the FSB where it can block the light?

GI handguard with FSB mounting requires an offset.

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Why would I want to mount a light directly behind the FSB where it can block the light?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What we have here is a failure to communicate...

Paladin
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 4:22:03 PM EDT
[#35]
For the time period the correct mounting method is OD hundred mile an hour tape. While watching the evening news Reed Knight was struck by how many folks used tape to hold stuff to their rifles, it was the inspiration for him to invent the rail.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
For the time period the correct mounting method is OD hundred mile an hour tape. While watching the evening news Reed Knight was struck by how many folks used tape to hold stuff to their rifles, it was the inspiration for him to invent the rail.
View Quote

Well, Knight didn't invent the Weaver mount (the first rail type mount).  Are you saying he "invented" the MIL-STD 1913 Picatinny Rail?
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Well, Knight didn't invent the Weaver mount (the first rail type mount).  Are you saying he "invented" the MIL-STD 1913 Picatinny Rail?
View Quote
No he's talking about KAC's first RIS from around 1996.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#38]
FYI, you can mount a surefire light with the standard 1913 mount onto the IWC bar. I will play with a surefire and streamlight later on to see of those are also compatible.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top