Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
M16a4 (clone) picture thread (Page 122 of 147)
Page / 147
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By theBlackKaiser:
Oven cleaner is the bane of my existence, I have seen it ruin the finish on more M4's than anything else...who the hell in the Army came up with using oven cleaner on their weapons, we never even thought to try that shit in the Marine Corps
and I would have stomped the shit out of my guys if I would have caught them doing that dumb shit
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By theBlackKaiser:
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
Never had a issue of the dry cleaning solvent in the red solvent tanks taking finish off M4s.  Oven cleaner on the other hand

CD
Oven cleaner is the bane of my existence, I have seen it ruin the finish on more M4's than anything else...who the hell in the Army came up with using oven cleaner on their weapons, we never even thought to try that shit in the Marine Corps
and I would have stomped the shit out of my guys if I would have caught them doing that dumb shit
I know of one second lieutenant that used easy off on an m16a2.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By USMC_JA:
My recently completed FN M16A4 build.  I added the appropriate UID sticker after taking the photos.

It also has the newer M7 RCO. But I'm cool with that because it is USMC issue and I prefer the horseshoe reticle.

This rifle just feels right.   Really enjoyed putting it together.

https://i.imgur.com/aHFpUdm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/0hVJjwN.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/GqBDzd6.jpg
View Quote
Where did you get the ACOG with the reticle silkscreened on the side? That's the one I'd like to get but the only TA31-D-100581's for sale out there seem to be lacking it. Was this an early version of the optic and they don't do that anymore, or is this the very latest version and they just aren't widely available yet?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 7:36:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By jrpett:

Where did you get the ACOG with the reticle silkscreened on the side? That's the one I'd like to get but the only TA31-D-100581's for sale out there seem to be lacking it. Was this an early version of the optic and they don't do that anymore, or is this the very latest version and they just aren't widely available yet?
View Quote
IM inbound.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:12:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GHOS7] [#4]
I think there is an A4 in here somewhere, if not enjoy anyways.

Phantom Fury Footage Shows Intense Battle On Iraqi Streets
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:37:08 PM EDT
[#5]
what are the current options for clone correct lowers? Ive got a NOS FN lower in the mail.  just need the lower half.  Does black creek do 1 off orders? because that seems to be the only absolutely clone correct available option.  I see the aero m16a4 complete and stripped lower option but damn, the roll marks bother me.  Why wouldnt they just put us govt instead of usa?  80% isnt an option in my wonderful state :(
if black creek is a no go, are there any lowers with blank magwells so my gunsmith can laser engrave it?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Eks22:
what are the current options for clone correct lowers? Ive got a NOS FN lower in the mail.  just need the lower half.  Does black creek do 1 off orders? because that seems to be the only absolutely clone correct available option.  I see the aero m16a4 complete and stripped lower option but damn, the roll marks bother me.  Why wouldnt they just put us govt instead of usa?  80% isnt an option in my wonderful state :(
if black creek is a no go, are there any lowers with blank magwells so my gunsmith can laser engrave it?
View Quote
NDS
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:23:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Eks22:
View Quote
PSA will be releasing their M16A4 clone lower shortly

CD
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By india13c:
Man, those gold lowers were really something odd.  I was on Lejeune from 2006-2010.  I never understood what could have caused that to happen.  But it dawned on me recently and had me wondering:  There were these big red “solvent” tank machines outside of the armory that I ended up asking one way why they were never used and why we weren’t cleaning our rifles with them.  The armorer told me that they didn’t trust anyone to use them correctly.  Maybe that was a pile of crap but I wonder if whatever solvent those tanks used had a reaction with the anodizing and caused that problem?  Maybe why they  never used them again too?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By india13c:
Originally Posted By USMCTanker:

The FN M16A4s that were delivered to units aboard MCB CamLej NC from 2005-ish to 2011 that I saw had lower receivers which turned blue and then purple after little use.  I saw quite a few that had worn down to a gold-ish color.

They started out looking black when removed from the shipping box, but they didn't stay that way for very long.

For some reason, the upper receivers didn't seem to have a problem with blue or purple anodizing.

As a sidebar to the topic of anodizing color, the most beat up, neglected, and worn looking M16A4 I ever observed belonged to a Marine from 8th ESB while he was qualifying with it at Stone Bay Rifle Range.  Man, that rifle was abused...I'm not sure what looked worse, though; the rifle or the KAC rail-the right side of the rail looked liked someone had twisted off a mounted weapons light or PEQ without loosening the screws that held it on.  That rifle had obviously been down range in the sand box a few times, with very little finish remaining.
Man, those gold lowers were really something odd.  I was on Lejeune from 2006-2010.  I never understood what could have caused that to happen.  But it dawned on me recently and had me wondering:  There were these big red “solvent” tank machines outside of the armory that I ended up asking one way why they were never used and why we weren’t cleaning our rifles with them.  The armorer told me that they didn’t trust anyone to use them correctly.  Maybe that was a pile of crap but I wonder if whatever solvent those tanks used had a reaction with the anodizing and caused that problem?  Maybe why they  never used them again too?
I *think* I recall seeing H&R M16A1 upper and lower receivers that took on a gold color with wear waaaaaay back when I was an 0311 and we still had M16A1s for the grenadiers (M203) and Automatic Riflemen (they were issued a cheap, stamped, spring loaded bipod to fire from).  That was back in 1984 / 1985 before enough Colt manufactured M16A2s were available to equip everyone.

Some older Colt 30 rd magazines would turn "gold" too.

I would venture to guess it was a faulty anodizing process, rather than the fault of some solvent used to clean the weapon.  Those weapons were wartime contracts, and the quality of the delivered product showed IMHO.

Who were you with back in CamLej?  I worked off of Post Lane at Blackburn (Bldg 54 across from Chow Hall #9 which has since been torn down).  BTW, I was back there for a week the past two years (February 2018 and 2019), and there's about 15,000 fewer Marines commuting on and off base.  That, and they've built roads to ease traffic congestion.

@india13c
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:01:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 44Echo10] [#9]

I *think* I recall seeing H&R M16A1 upper and lower receivers that took on a gold color with wear waaaaaay back when I was an 0311 and we still had M16A1s for the grenadiers (M203) and Automatic Riflemen (they were issued a cheap, stamped, spring loaded bipod to fire from).  That was back in 1984 / 1985 before enough Colt manufactured M16A2s were available to equip everyone.

I would venture to guess it was a faulty anodizing process, rather than the fault of some solvent used to clean the weapon.  Those weapons were wartime contracts, and the quality of the delivered product showed IMHO.

Who were you with back in CamLej?  I worked off of Post Lane at Blackburn (Bldg 54 across from Chow Hall #9 which has since been torn down).  BTW, I was back there for a week the past two years (February 2018 and 2019), and there's about 15,000 fewer Marines commuting on and off base.  That, and they've built roads to ease traffic congestion.

@india13c
View Quote
Gold is the color the anodizing process turned the aluminum to. The blacks or grays were dyes added after anodizing, then it is sealed. The GM Hydra-Matic M16A1s were also bad about the dye fading and wearing down to gold.

Before photobucket did their crap there were a lot of good reference pics here...https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/GM_or_HandR_upper_assembly__an_old_and_somewhat_confusing_subject_/123-584919/?...you can still make out the gold in the blurred images though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:15:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 44Echo10:
Gold is the color the anodizing process turned the aluminum to. The blacks or grays were dyes added after anodizing, then it is sealed. The GM Hydra-Matic M16A1s were also bad about the dye fading and wearing down to gold.

Before photobucket did their crap there were a lot of good reference pics here...https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/GM_or_HandR_upper_assembly__an_old_and_somewhat_confusing_subject_/123-584919/?...you can still make out the gold in the blurred images though.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 44Echo10:

@india13c

I believe you are correct.  GM does seem to ring a bell more than H&R.  Seems like forever ago.

Thanks for the link, too.  That's an interesting thread for my favorite version of the M16 series.  Brought back a lot of mammor...I mean memories.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 4:22:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By FA_45ACP:
wow, this thread didn't last very long
View Quote
didn't age well
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 5:35:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I've posted my M16a4 clone on here before, I posted it along with my carbine. My rifle may not be 100% clone correct, but I enjoy it. It's a Spike's lower (which I plan on replacing eventually), with a PSA CHF 20" upper assembly, with PSA hardware, KAC m5 handrail with Magpul rail covers, KAC vertical foregrip, Magpul pistol grip, Matech rear sight, Condor buttstock pouch, and a Magpul MS1Multi-Mission sling. Like I said she's not clone correct, but she is mine, and has become my go to rifle.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/583Oz8d
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 4:33:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StuartBoyer] [#13]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

PSA will be releasing their M16A4 clone lower shortly

CD
View Quote
Its out now.

EDIT:  https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-m16a4-stripped-lower-receiver.html
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By StuartBoyer:
Its out now.
View Quote
thanks for the heads up, just bought one.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 7:49:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I just bought one of the NOS Sabre defense A4 uppers. Pretty sweet so far! From a demilled military rifle. Put it on an aero A4 lower

https://www.dtsguns.com/product-page/rambo-commie-killer
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 12:38:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Its out now.
View Quote
Didn't see it..
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 1:19:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chunkyhenry] [#17]
Originally Posted By Fiorina:
I just bought one of the NOS Sabre defense A4 uppers. Pretty sweet so far! From a demilled military rifle. Put it on an aero A4 lower

https://www.dtsguns.com/product-page/rambo-commie-killer
View Quote
Huh, I'm very surprised these are being demilled considering there's obviously demand for and use of A4s by several US allied states.

The OOW uppers made sense since those had been supplied as upgrade kits for old rifles that were then dumped for M4s and had their BCGs cannibalized.

EDIT: When you get it would you let us know whether the butt-stock trap door is polymer or metal?
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 2:58:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By wissota4:

Didn't see it..
View Quote
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-m16a4-stripped-lower-receiver.html
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#19]
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-m16a4-stripped-lower-receiver.html
View Quote
Neat. Is there a reason it's missing a digit in the ser number?
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#20]
The buttstock trap door is definitely metal. It came with a picture of the lower they cut up. Mine was marked M16A3. Also comes with the section of lower still threaded onto the stock. You can see where they cut it
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Any one have any leads on a coyote color blue force gear A2 buttstock adaptor? Got the M16 one but need the one that covers the trap door to attach my spectre pouch to. I have them in black but want to switch to FDE like my other M16A4 clone.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Fiorina:
The buttstock trap door is definitely metal. It came with a picture of the lower they cut up. Mine was marked M16A3. Also comes with the section of lower still threaded onto the stock. You can see where they cut it
View Quote
Very interesting, how would you rate the overall quality? I was going to go the OOW FN upper route and then piece together the rest but this seems like a great deal for everything but the lower and LPK.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By chunkyhenry:

Very interesting, how would you rate the overall quality? I was going to go the OOW FN upper route and then piece together the rest but this seems like a great deal for everything but the lower and LPK.
View Quote
The overall quality is fantastic. It’s totally new and unfired. I haven’t shot it yet, but it’s all real deal stuff. It comes with everything but the lower and LPK like you said. Plus a photo of the lower they cut up. I’m really happy with it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 12:11:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3ACR_Scout] [#24]
I've seen one of those demilled Sabre kits at two shows here in PA in the last couple months (could have been the same seller at both shows) for the same price of $750. That's definitely a great way to get real surplus parts. It's a good price with the stock and grip included and saves you the trouble of hunting down those two real GI components.

Was the M16 in the photo they send you a Sabre Defence marked lower also? That would make for a great clone project with a custom 80% lower to match it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 8:10:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fiorina] [#25]
Yes it was a Sabre Defence lower as well. There was no logo, but the serial number started with SD. I’ll post a picture of it later
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 10:32:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Any one have any leads on a coyote color blue force gear A2 buttstock adaptor? Got the M16 one but need the one that covers the trap door to attach my spectre pouch to. I have them in black but want to switch to FDE like my other M16A4 clone.
View Quote
I picked up one of their pouches that includes the Specter buttstock adapter - https://www.spectergear.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=982

Found it new at a local surplus store in the used bin for $9.99.  Sometimes you get lucky.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#27]
I debated the Sabre Defense vs. the FN (at OOW).  I ended up with the FN.

I pulled the trigger this morning when I noticed only 4 left in stock at OOW (now only 3.)  I have an PSA A4 lower inbound and the rest coming from Shark Arms.

Cloning can be addictive...
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 11:20:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tifosi] [#28]
Originally Posted By triode:
I debated the Sabre Defense vs. the FN (at OOW).  I ended up with the FN.

I pulled the trigger this morning when I noticed only 4 left in stock at OOW (now only 3.)  I have an PSA A4 lower inbound and the rest coming from Shark Arms.

Cloning can be addictive...
View Quote
lol, I think we're going to have twin rifles. OOW/FN Upper, FN Parts from Shark and PSA lower. To a 'T'!

Edit: FedEx just dropped off my upper. You won't be disappointed. These are brand new. Still have that awesome machine shop smell to 'em!
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 3:41:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: triode] [#29]
Originally Posted By tifosi:
lol, I think we're going to have twin rifles. OOW/FN Upper, FN Parts from Shark and PSA lower. To a 'T'!

Edit: FedEx just dropped off my upper. You won't be disappointed. These are brand new. Still have that awesome machine shop smell to 'em!
View Quote
Cool.  Mine is due on Friday.  I may look around for an FN LPK or just use one I have on hand.

Looks like 1 FN Upper left in stock at OOW - there were 6 last night.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Cool.  Mine is due on Friday.  I may look around for an FN LPK or just use one I have on hand.

Looks like 1 FN Upper left in stock at OOW - there were 6 last night.
View Quote
Did a little research and I guess FN LPKs do not exist.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote
Yeah, that’s what I’ve found. I used Colt parts in mine, since a lot of GI parts come from the same suppliers anyway.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#32]
And there they go.  OOW is out of stock on FN uppers.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:
Yeah, that's what I've found. I used Colt parts in mine, since a lot of GI parts come from the same suppliers anyway.
View All Quotes
Yeah, that's what I've found. I used Colt parts in mine, since a lot of GI parts come from the same suppliers anyway.
I use LPK's from Geissele/ALG. If nothing else, at least the investment cast components are Schmid tool, so
that's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Not the nicest but I love me some m16a4...
" />
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#35]

I picked up one of their pouches that includes the Specter buttstock adapter - https://www.spectergear.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=982

Found it new at a local surplus store in the used bin for $9.99.  Sometimes you get lucky.
View Quote
Thanks. Mine came with that as well but I remove theirs and attach it to the blue force one  and then install it. That way the sling mount is on top of the stock and not the sides like with the Spectre, that is what I was hoping to do again.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote
and I thought this page of a "picture thread" would go without a single picture...good job!
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 10:21:24 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote
Nice! I miss my acog and my a4
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 2:07:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Yeah, that’s what I’ve found. I used Colt parts in mine, since a lot of GI parts come from the same suppliers anyway.
View Quote
Samey same.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Adding a picture to page.  My A4 I built several years back, recently updated with an Aero Precision A4 Lower.  I will be assembling a younger sibling using FN & PSA parts, and then will provide family photo.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Finally got it how I like it. It is a smooth shooter. The A1 length stock is the ticket.

Link Posted: 3/8/2020 9:04:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Im swapping back to plastic handguards for a bit and stored the RAS. I have a BFG Sling right now. Whats the correct sling for a bone stock A4? A silent sling?
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By JoeBud:
Finally got it how I like it. It is a smooth shooter. The A1 length stock is the ticket.

https://i.imgur.com/MBq2A92.jpg
View Quote
Needs a checkered buttplate.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 10:58:23 PM EDT
[#43]
This thread is awesome.  Inspired me to part out my 11.5 pistol and start collecting parts.   Thanks all for the inspiration.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Told myself I was going to keep this a carry handle gun. But.... sigh
Which of course led to picking up an A2 upper

Link Posted: 3/10/2020 4:00:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CMCctx] [#45]
Just saw this bad MF on IG. Nice stick! What ACOG is that?
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Nice.  You found the newer M7 RCO.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By USMC_JA:

Nice.  You found the newer M7 RCO.
View Quote
According to Trijicon, it's from 2015. But yea, was debating between this and ACSS Aurora
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By uniform64:

According to Trijicon, it's from 2015. But yea, was debating between this and ACSS Aurora
View Quote
Well, 2015 is newer than what the Marines were rocking in 2007, right?  
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 4:47:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:

Just saw this bad MF on IG. Nice stick! What ACOG is that?
View Quote
Thanks, TA31D 100581
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Realized I forgot to post my newest A4 build using an FN CHF barrel and a Trijicon ACOG 4x32 BAC USMC RCO (TA31USN-M855 with LaRue LT799 Mount) Still looking for a Blue Force Gear A2 adaptor in coyote to make it like my other A4 and awaiting a Colt grip to arrive.
20200210_125814 by Stuart Boyer, on Flickr
Page / 147
M16a4 (clone) picture thread (Page 122 of 147)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top