Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 232
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dyzastr:
My mash hooks came in the other day, and the sound is very obnoxious. I thought about slapping somethin over em to chill em out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DontBuryMe:

I just have the sling looped straight through. I was using HK hooks for a long time but I got tired of the click clacking.

ETA: Oh yeah I think I do have a strip of 100MPH tape around the loop to protect the sling from rubbing.

ETA 2: Yup. Confirmed.
My mash hooks came in the other day, and the sound is very obnoxious. I thought about slapping somethin over em to chill em out.
100mph tape on the hooks. @AstraPat runs them like that. Assuming he's still alive! Mr. NoPost NoMo'
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#2]
View Quote
I've never been a fan of mash hooks. I'm running my slings just like yours are setup on the CQD, same as deployed. I've never worn through a BFG sling and at most wore a little of one edge, hence the tape and never had any issues since.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 10:03:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, here you go @hobgob9

https://imgur.com/uQfmFXr.gif
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hobgob9:

Do you mind posting a picture of how you have the pressure pad setup? Playing around with mine and having a hard time to get it to work without using the VFG.
Thanks

When using that style of pressure pad and a RAS, you can use LT wire management Index Clips and it will hold the pad in that position very well. Ran that setup in Afg and it never moved. I'll have to see if I can find a pic.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:02:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#4]
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:18:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:
@DontBuryMe----> ever have heat issues with the gas tube/zip ties melting?

@SecretSquirell-----> "LT wire management Index Clips "....tell me more?  I hate the switch on the vfg. Tried inner tube, tape, zip strips. Pretty much a PITA for me.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell@:

Do you mind posting a picture of how you have the pressure pad setup? Playing around with mine and having a hard time to get it to work without using the VFG.
Thanks

When using that style of pressure pad and a RAS, you can use LT wire management Index Clips and it will hold the pad in that position very well. Ran that setup in Afg and it never moved. I'll have to see if I can find a pic.

@SecretSquirell-----> "LT wire management Index Clips "....tell me more?  I hate the switch on the vfg. Tried inner tube, tape, zip strips. Pretty much a PITA for me.
I can't find my pic of it. Let me go see if I can recreate it.

These things.

Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:19:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember the Days of taping a Maglite on my A2, hell for the Marine Corps infantry, those days were until 2003 at least in 2nd MarDiv.

I have always used riggers tape for tape switch on the VFG, I mean the good serve-mart kind not the shiney OD crap you see for sale most places.Used zip ties on the wires, and to dummy cord my PEQ somtimes butt, learned that they will burn/melt through if you get that baby too hot gotta watch’em. I wonder if the make metal zip ties, hmmmm.

An acquaintance just sold this on GB for $2500, nice, correct me if Im wrong is his light and tape switch even available commercially?

this is a completed auction so I dont belive Im breaking any rules posting it.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/780524059
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:25:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#7]
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:31:20 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote
Not yet. And I have run a few mags on FA through an upper with the same zip tied config.

Relevant Block 1.5  action.

Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:32:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: crashmaniac] [#9]
I never burned a zip tie off until going through a couple mags over a short period of time.

Also seen it happen pretty quick when letting a class do a “Burst” fam fire once, whole firing line did a single mag dump, just to show them how inaccurate it is even at ten yards, in most cases anyway. That same unit spent that whole night looking for a Peq-15 that fell off because one shooter burned through his zip tie “dummy cord”. I did warn them.

Prolly depends in the type/manufactture of the zipties
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:33:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:37:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Best that I could reproduce. Don't have an available switch of the style with the over-molded rubber that I know works. No idea how it would work on anything other than a RAS as the relationship between top and side rail has to be specific (geometry and all that).

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:39:17 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell@:

Thanks

I've never melted a ziptie on mine (it's how I run mine these days) but I have melted a cable because I routed it forward and my sling pushed it up against the FSB on my M4 when we did some suppressing fire.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:41:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By crashmaniac:
I remember the Days of taping a Maglite on my A2, hell for the Marine Corps infantry, those days were until 2003 at least in 2nd MarDiv.

I have always used riggers tape for tape switch on the VFG, I mean the good serve-mart kind not the shiney OD crap you see for sale most places.Used zip ties on the wires, and to dummy cord my PEQ somtimes butt, learned that they will burn/melt through if you get that baby too hot gotta watch’em. I wonder if the make metal zip ties, hmmmm.

An acquaintance just sold this on GB for $2500, nice, correct me if Im wrong is his light and tape switch even available commercially?

View Quote
I never even saw a light in any of my units until 07-ish and I was in the middle of my 3rd deployment.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:41:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SecretSquirell] [#14]

View Quote
Double tap

His light is an Insight M3X with a dual pad pressure switch. You can still find them floating around.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:54:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:54:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Double tap

His light is an Insight M3X with a dual pad pressure switch. You can still find them floating around.
View Quote
Yeah SU-233 right? just never seen them for sale new just on ebay
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:55:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:07:26 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote
Oh, yeah for sure can't get them new anymore.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:08:40 AM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes

Double tap

Yes. I just don't know everything by it's .mil designation, just know that by it's commercial name.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:09:41 AM EDT
[#20]
I can totally see that playing out.
View All Quotes

I've never melted a ziptie on mine (it's how I run mine these days) but I have melted a cable because I routed it forward and my sling pushed it up against the FSB on my M4 when we did some suppressing fire.
I can totally see that playing out.
I also melted part of my sling that day too.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:17:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SecretSquirell] [#21]
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:
100mph tape on the hooks. @AstraPat runs them like that. Assuming he's still alive! Mr. NoPost NoMo'
View All Quotes

I just have the sling looped straight through. I was using HK hooks for a long time but I got tired of the click clacking.

ETA: Oh yeah I think I do have a strip of 100MPH tape around the loop to protect the sling from rubbing.

I remember his Cqd close ups. Will 100mph leave the gooey shit like duct tape? Or are they the same thing?
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 1:37:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I remember his Cqd close ups. Will 100mph leave the gooey shit like duct tape? Or are they the same thing?
View All Quotes

Pretty much the same.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 4:18:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#24]
^^^ so I'll prob  end up with a sticky gooey mash hook either way? I thought about makin a quick fabric silencer for em. Just has to be big enough to slide over the hooks.

Well, it appears I'm building another early gwot m4. I purchased a 14.5" to cutdown, and then found a 10.3 at a good price so I just got both of em.
@Combat_Diver, could you possibly post that pic again of your early m4 with the arms sir rail?  I just found an arms 50c sir bi level. It's the delta ring model. I think I remember you saying the bottom half is polymer. Not too thrilled about that, but I'm sure it's plenty sturdy. I've seen vfg's on car handguards. Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 4:12:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Got most of my parts together.. still trying to decide between Block I or 1.5/PR

Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:15:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#26]
^^^ so I'll prob  end up with a sticky gooey mash hook either way? I thought about makin a quick fabric silencer for em. Just has to be big enough to slide over the hooks.

Well, it appears I'm building another early gwot m4. I purchased a 14.5" to cutdown, and then found a 10.3 at a good price so I just got both of em.
@Combat_Diver, could you possibly post that pic again of your early m4 with the arms sir rail?  I just found an arms 50c sir bi level. It's the delta ring model. I think I remember you saying the bottom half is polymer. Not too thrilled about that, but I'm sure it's plenty sturdy. I've seen vfg's on car handguards. Thank you.
View Quote
@Dyzastr
Some of the rifles I carried and used in 05-06'.  Missing is my Mk13 .300 Win Mag,  Barrett M82 and M79.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:20:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Anybody know approximately what time SOPMOD stocks started coming around?
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Super_Trouper:
Anybody know approximately what time SOPMOD stocks started coming around?
View Quote
I think 04', Got the one above in 05'.

CD
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

@Dyzastr
Some of the rifles I carried and used in 05-06'.  Missing is my Mk13 .300 Win Mag,  Barrett M82 and M79.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/gun_rack_resized-635906.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/Picture_002-635900.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/Picture_001-635901.JPG

CD
View Quote
CD, what is the front hinge point on top rail of SIR?
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 2:57:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By uniform64:

Thanks
View Quote
Not quite sure what you mean by hinge point.  The ARMS #50C S.I.R the top bi rail was bolted to the upper receiver and lower rail was bolted to top rail on sides.  I still have the #40L BUIS however  IIRC, the back end didn't shotgun open all the way however.  Just enough to pull the bolt carrier out.

CD
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 3:02:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Not quite sure what you mean by hinge point.  The ARMS #50C S.I.R the top bi rail was bolted to the upper receiver and lower rail was bolted to top rail on sides.  I still have the #40L BUIS however  IIRC, the back end didn't shotgun open all the way however.  Just enough to pull the bolt carrier out.

CD
View Quote
That area in front of the top rail just behind the FSB
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#32]

That area in front of the top rail just behind the FSB
View Quote
Honestly don't remember.

CD
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 1:08:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#33]

Thanks
View Quote
@uniform64
its a "hinge" for a top rail. This model has the ability to go from bi level to flat top.
Here is a pic with the rail installed. I guess it gives more options for mounting optics/ lasers.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 1:23:58 AM EDT
[#34]

@Dyzastr

CD
View Quote
Thank you. I wasn't sure if you had the 50c or 50m. I've got that exact setup with the 40l on its way. I've thought about getting that extra top rail but I'll prob never need it. Planning to run it with the 552 up front as you have in the top pic. I read previously that eod had used the arms #50 rail too. Would that have been on their 10.3? I've tried finding pics many times, but no luck. Nothin but pics of casv's and ras's.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 1:31:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#35]

CD
View All Quotes

Thanks

CD
I don't know how many times I've pivoted my m900 into the magwell. I didn't even consider the clearance with this one. And apparently neither did A.R.M.S!  That lower half of the handgaurd is waay down there.

well, looks like I've found the m4 I'm gonna clone. I hate to copy ya, but don't mind cloning yer old m4 if it's cool with you. Your rifle popped in my head when I found that rail.  Honestly a 552, and 952 is prob what most guys ran on those anyhow? Plus if you run your optics back, you have an instant riser since the 552 is absolute co witness.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 2:42:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Slightly off topic, but when did Colt start using Anchor Harvey forgings? Just received a Colt upper. C mark, Anchor Harvey forge mark, and M4 above the gas tube.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 2:51:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#37]
Pretty sure at one time or another they've used almost all the main forges. Not sure what time, but af, ah, mb, keyhole...etc have all been used.
Are you curious as to a specific time of when they first used them, or do you just want re assurance that it's legit?
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 3:19:56 AM EDT
[#38]
@uniform64
its a "hinge" for a top rail. This model has the ability to go from bi level to flat top.
Here is a pic with the rail installed. I guess it gives more options for mounting optics/ lasers.
http://i.imgur.com/YdSCHjD.jpg
View Quote
Thank you Sir.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#39]
@Dyzastr

CD
View All Quotes

@Dyzastr

CD
Std m4 barrel on your m4, or socom? Were m4 barrels used ever with the ris ii? Or were they all m4 soco My?
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Std m4 barrel on your m4, or socom? Were m4 barrels used ever with the ris ii? Or were they all m4 soco My?
View All Quotes

@Dyzastr

CD
Govt profile for continuous RIS II, SOCOM profile for FSP RIS II
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 4:57:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#41]

View Quote
Thank you!
eta- any socom barrels pre ris ii? Or was it all govt profile for block 1? Sorry if I'm askin somethin that comes up often.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Thank you!
eta- any socom barrels pre ris ii? Or was it all govt profile for block 1? Sorry if I'm askin somethin that comes up often.
View All Quotes

Thank you!
Yeah they've had SOCOM barrels longer than they have had block 2s
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 6:36:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: olekennyroy] [#43]
Attachment Attached File
The hinge on the front was for the reversible rail section on the 45 SIR.  One side was picatinny, and the other is for mounting a PEQ2.

http://members.tripod.com/b_bowler/RJSALESnewprod_files/rjsalesnewprod.htm
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By olekennyroy:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/226575/31255724-AE48-47F6-B24E-0D111233AEAA-638659.JPGThe hinge on the front was for the reversible rail section on the 45 SIR.  One side was picatinny, and the other is for mounting a PEQ2.

View Quote
No shit, now I'm pondering actually building one up

Link Posted: 8/12/2018 7:40:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Lerch641:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/Black_Hawk_169/20180419_162539_zps5uzauk1y.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lerch641:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/226575/31255724-AE48-47F6-B24E-0D111233AEAA-638659.JPGThe hinge on the front was for the reversible rail section on the 45 SIR.  One side was picatinny, and the other is for mounting a PEQ2.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/Black_Hawk_169/20180419_162539_zps5uzauk1y.jpg
Where does this Canuck get all these wonderful toys!
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:16:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#46]

View Quote
Kinda looks like it's resting on the lower rail in that pic and not the extra one. The height plus the empty hinge holes make me think that. There is a different one with the peq slot on the very bottom rail. I'm gonna look for it.

eta- I see now. It's the difference between the 45 and the 50. The 50 has a removable picatinny to expose another picatinny, whereas the 45 has a top a rail that removes to expose the peq2 mount. Now I see. Couldn't find any good pics of the 45 with the rail removed.

Eta #2
I always thought the peq mounted directly to the lower portion. I didn't think the rail flipped upside down for mounting. Here is a pic.

Not an m4 but pure badass out of crane, Indiana

That would make for an awesome clone.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Kinda looks like it's resting on the lower rail in that pic and not the extra one. The height plus the empty hinge holes make me think that. There is a different one with the peq slot on the very bottom rail. I'm gonna look for it.

eta- I see now. It's the difference between the 45 and the 50. The 50 has a removable picatinny to expose another picatinny, whereas the 45 has a top a rail that removes to expose the peq2 mount. Now I see. Couldn't find any good pics of the 45 with the rail removed.

Eta #2
I always thought the peq mounted directly to the lower portion. I didn't think the rail flipped upside down for mounting. Here is a pic.
http://i.imgur.com/EuHlvcd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/naGaBlH.jpg

Not an m4 but pure badass out of crane, Indiana

http://i.imgur.com/aYnv3Zh.jpg
That would make for an awesome clone.
View Quote
I've had that bottom pic saved for a while now.  I'd love to come up with that build.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 2:08:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#48]
Here's my go at attempting @Combat_Diver 's (earlier '04/'05) m4.

One question, did you have to modify the crap out of your tango down vfg in order for it to work? I couldn't even get it started. The dovetails didn't even line up. Weird.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 2:31:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Here's my go at attempting @Combat_Diver 's (earlier '04/'05) m4.
http://i.imgur.com/LVHklfG.jpg
One question, did you have to modify the crap out of your tango down vfg in order for it to work? I couldn't even get it started. The dovetails didn't even line up. Weird.
View Quote
That has to be one nose heavy sumbitch ain't it?
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#50]

That has to be one nose heavy sumbitch ain't it?
View Quote
My sentiments exactly. Those SIR rails have got to be heavy as fuck.
Page / 232
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top