Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 911
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Conspiro-Agnew:

In the end, the most important thing is that it works for you. If it deviates and you cannot post pics in a clone thread, then it is what it is, but function over fashion and all that. Don't get me wrong, I love my clones, but also find I like all the pieces and parts that make them up. For me, it must be equally about function as it is about aesthetics, otherwise, I'm going to side with function and abandon the thread from a posting perspective.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By nate_the_great:
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:

I think it was way back in the thread but I could've sworn I saw a PR with a T-1 and magnifier. Might not have been a PR though.

Yeah, I was actually the one that posted that, but I got yelled at because it wasn't an M4A1.  

He's Force Recon too, IIRC:

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac108/SJasper84/M4T1.jpg

I think I may stick with a T-1 and go for the look those have. If nothing else I'll probably go to an EOTech to please the clone sticklers.

In the end, the most important thing is that it works for you. If it deviates and you cannot post pics in a clone thread, then it is what it is, but function over fashion and all that. Don't get me wrong, I love my clones, but also find I like all the pieces and parts that make them up. For me, it must be equally about function as it is about aesthetics, otherwise, I'm going to side with function and abandon the thread from a posting perspective.

Agreed 100%. I love a strict clone as much as the next guy, but if you're actually going to shoot it then I certainly can't fault you for picking a part that works better for you.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Yeah, I was actually the one that posted that, but I got yelled at because it wasn't an M4A1.  

View All Quotes

I think it was way back in the thread but I could've sworn I saw a PR with a T-1 and magnifier. Might not have been a PR though.

Affirm, he is.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Page glitch.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 4:05:11 AM EDT
[#4]

View All Quotes

I think I may stick with a T-1 and go for the look those have. If nothing else I'll probably go to an EOTech to please the clone sticklers.

I agree with you on that, I'm still figuring out if Aimpoints or EOTechs are my preference, gone through both and an ACOG and still can't quite figure out which is best. Thankfully my other upper satisfies my needs to my spec so I'd really like to get a really good clone going.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 4:29:27 AM EDT
[#5]

I agree with you on that, I'm still figuring out if Aimpoints or EOTechs are my preference, gone through both and an ACOG and still can't quite figure out which is best. Thankfully my other upper satisfies my needs to my spec so I'd really like to get a really good clone going.
View All Quotes

In that case, Elcan!
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Just scored an Elcan off the EE last night.  . Block II is almost complete.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By RadOP:
Just scored an Elcan off the EE last night.  . Block II is almost complete.
View Quote

Nice!

I kinda sorta wanna sell mine for a ModH.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, moved the Elcan from my CQBR to my PR and also repainted it.  I've also got a TA31F that's in the mix.  Trying to decide which optic I want on the PR and which one on my DD RIS II FSP Block II (currently off at ADCO having the SF3P pinned and welded.)  Probably end up with the ACOG on the FSP Block II just due to weight.  The PR feels a lot better balanced with the Elcan than the FSP Block II does.

Picture thread:

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been putting some serious thought into getting an Elcan for my Block II. There is a brand new FDE one on eBay right now for $2200.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 6:26:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#10]
Originally Posted By JBecker_72:
I've been putting some serious thought into getting an Elcan for my Block II. There is a brand new FDE one on eBay right now for $2200.
View Quote

Like new FDE Gen 3 Elcan just sold in the EE last night/this morning for $1600 shipped.  

ETA:  DSG Arms also has them in stock for around $2150 IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 6:46:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ihcnehc] [#11]

Originally Posted By RJeff21:
Like new FDE Gen 3 Elcan just sold in the EE last night/this morning for $1600 shipped.  
View All Quotes

That was mine.

If anyone is looking for a brand new NIB limited production run civilian model FDE Elcan, contact me.  Pretty sure the price cannot be beat.  Not mine, just returning a favor to a friend of mine.

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#12]
This was the ad I saw last night. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELCAN-SpecterDR-DFOV14-T1-Dual-Role-1-4X-Combat-Sight-5-56-CX5395-Red-Dot-FDE-/151483476648?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23451e6aa8

Obviously I don't know much about them, or what version that is. And to those of you who own one, was it worth it? Not just in the sense of building a clone, but is it actually worth it?
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:07:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#13]
This was the ad I saw last night. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELCAN-SpecterDR-DFOV14-T1-Dual-Role-1-4X-Combat-Sight-5-56-CX5395-Red-Dot-FDE-/151483476648?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23451e6aa8

Obviously I don't know much about them, or what version that is. And to those of you who own one, was it worth it? Not just in the sense of building a clone, but is it actually worth it?
View Quote

That's a Gen 3 version (newest), although that's a "stock" photo so I guess it could be something else.  If I were you, I'd order from DSG Arms.  They're right around the same price, and DSG is one of the better online retailers out there to deal with.  Way better than some random guy on eBay.

Other than that, I'd say it depends on what you like in an optic.  If you don't have any experience with low powered variable scopes, then I'd advise you try out a cheaper option just to see if you like it.

As to the specifics of the Elcan:
-  Eye relief is pretty good.  Way better than an ACOG TA31F.
-  The eyebox is less than optimal.  It's not the worst I've used, but there are many that are better.  If you were doing any room clearing in tight quarters I'd say you'd probably need a piggybacked RDS as it's hard to keep your head in perfect alignment.  (Turning on the red center dot illumination on the Elcan does help in this aspect, although I'd have to run through some room clearance exercises to say definitively.)
-  Glass quality is excellent, easily the best that I've used.  (Admittedly, I don't have any experience with the likes of S&B or other equivalent manufacturers.)
-  The reticle is very useful.  I prefer it to just about anything else available in a 4x combat optic.  For me, it blends the best of both worlds between a TA01NSN (accuracy) and a TA31F (speed).
-  The image on 1x is spectacular.  About as close to a true 1x that I've found.
-  It's pretty heavy, but roughly similar to a traditional 1-4x scope with a QD mount.  Either way, if lightweight is what you're going for, I'd go with an ACOG instead.

All in all, I don't mind having spent what I did on mine, but I don't think I'd do it again.  

At close range, an ACOG (specifically the TA31F) offers about 60-65% of what the Elcan does, lacking only in low light conditions in close quarters (the reticle washes out when you utilize a VBL) and actually making precise shots in close quarters (BAC isn't all that accurate, "save the hostage" shots aren't something I'd try with it), although shots to center mass are easily doable.

At distance, an ACOG offers about 80-85% of what the Elcan does, lacking only slightly in glass quality and definitely lacking in the eye relief department.

That's about all I've got about the Elcan.  I'm sure I'll remember more later, but hope it helps!
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:16:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks. I've got a lot of experience with the Aimpoint, and a bit with a TA31F. And as far as weight goes, my Block II is already a bit of a pig so adding another pound or so wouldn't be a deal breaker there. I just want something that is versatile and precise.

One advantage to me getting it on eBay is I can use my PayPal credit option, gives me 12 months to pay for it with 0 interest. I don't have the dough to drop $2200 right now on an optic. I tied up all that cash in a pair of Wilson Combat Beretta 92A1's. I suppose I could send him an email asking if it's a gen 3 or not.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:29:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Gentlemen, I have some extra's taking up safe-space if anyone is interested. All legit Colt, SU231, etc.

Email or IM me. I'm putting the ad in the EE up now.

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:31:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks. I've got a lot of experience with the Aimpoint, and a bit with a TA31F. And as far as weight goes, my Block II is already a bit of a pig so adding another pound or so wouldn't be a deal breaker there. I just want something that is versatile and precise.

One advantage to me getting it on eBay is I can use my PayPal credit option, gives me 12 months to pay for it with 0 interest. I don't have the dough to drop $2200 right now on an optic. I tied up all that cash in a pair of Wilson Combat Beretta 92A1's. I suppose I could send him an email asking if it's a gen 3 or not.
View Quote

The part in red is why I picked up another TA31F.  My Block II with the DD RIS II is already a pig, and it felt 10 times worse with the Elcan.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:43:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JBecker_72] [#17]

The part in red is why I picked up another TA31F.  My Block II with the DD RIS II is already a pig, and it felt 10 times worse with the Elcan.
View All Quotes

The Elcan would be about 10 or 11 ounces heavier than the Aimpoint PRO I have on there now or just under a pound. Not too bad considering the versatility you get in return.

Ediedt because I sucked at the ounces to pounds conversion
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:25:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CountryHam] [#18]
Originally Posted By ankratz:
Gentlemen, I have some extra's taking up safe-space if anyone is interested. All legit Colt, SU231, etc.

Email or IM me. I'm putting the ad in the EE up now.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y229/akratz/DEC2014/20141208_144756_RichtoneHDR_zpssbk9gi9q.jpg
View Quote

Email and message sent
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Epic PR m4a1 from OAF

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 5:47:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerdan] [#20]

Originally Posted By ihcnehc:

That was mine.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ihcnehc:

That was mine.

If anyone is looking for a brand new NIB limited production run civilian model FDE Elcan, contact me.  Pretty sure the price cannot be beat.  Not mine, just returning a favor to a friend of mine.

I bought my military FDE Gen III Elcan (brand spankin' new) with MRD mount and Kill flash for not much more than $1600

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 5:19:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, I took the plunge. Bought a brand new Gen III Elcan in FDE just now. My poor wallet.

Question to those using the Surefire M600 Ultra, how well do you like it, and how is the battery life? They list it at 1.5 hour run time before it dips below 50 lumen, but that seems like it probably has a rather sharp drop off from the 500 lumen to the 50 lumen part. I'm thinking about upgrading from my 110 lumen M300A.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 5:28:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, I took the plunge. Bought a brand new Gen III Elcan in FDE just now. My poor wallet.

Question to those using the Surefire M600 Ultra, how well do you like it, and how is the battery life? They list it at 1.5 hour run time before it dips below 50 lumen, but that seems like it probably has a rather sharp drop off from the 500 lumen to the 50 lumen part. I'm thinking about upgrading from my 110 lumen M300A.
View Quote

If you're using the light correctly then the batteries will last a long time. Constant on runtime is what you're referring to I believe. They are the visable lights I've used thus far. I have seven of them, but I only use Surefire lights anyway.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 5:33:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JBecker_72] [#23]
Originally Posted By warpig8654:

If you're using the light correctly then the batteries will last a long time. Constant on runtime is what you're referring to I believe. They are the visable lights I've used thus far. I have seven of them, but I only use Surefire lights anyway.
View All Quotes

Yeah I know how long they typically last when used correctly. Maybe I poorly worded it. How far do the 500 lumen Ultra lights drop off and how fast would be the better question? I've used some other lights that were very bright for 5 minutes, and then they began to really drop off in output before stabilizing at a lower output and then holding at that level for a while before dropping off again.

In contrast my 110 lumen M300A will run for the same length of time, and it holds a very steady output for quite a while. It just sucks for use at distances over 50 yards.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I love my M600U. Can't speak in very specific terms regarding battery life because I haven't tested it myself, but I would give it more than 1.5hrs before dropping to 50 lumens. I don't think I have ever seen mine at what I would think is 50 lumens. Great light though. Very bright, excellent throw, in a small, compact lightweight package.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By WE-06:
I love my M600U. Can't speak in very specific terms regarding battery life because I haven't tested it myself, but I would give it more than 1.5hrs before dropping to 50 lumens. I don't think I have ever seen mine at what I would think is 50 lumens. Great light though. Very bright, excellent throw, in a small, compact lightweight package.
View Quote

Thanks for the input. I figured the 500 lumen Surefire torches wouldn't be this popular if they weren't good performers. But it's a lot of money and my current setup is adequate.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Yeah I know how long they typically last when used correctly. Maybe I poorly worded it. How far do the 500 lumen Ultra lights drop off and how fast would be the better question? I've used some other lights that were very bright for 5 minutes, and then they began to really drop off in output before stabilizing at a lower output and then holding at that level for a while before dropping off again.

In contrast my 110 lumen M300A will run for the same length of time, and it holds a very steady output for quite a while. It just sucks for use at distances over 50 yards.
View All Quotes

I switched over to the M600U about 6 months ago & they haven't had any decrease in light output yet. But I haven't used each one in the constant on mode yet to test how fast they dim in that mode. Intermitantly using them with the tail cap I haven't seen any dimming yet. I couldn't say how much collective time I have on each one so far. I'm pleased.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#27]

I switched over to the M600U about 6 months ago & they haven't had any decrease in light output yet. But I haven't used each one in the constant on mode yet to test how fast they dim in that mode. Intermitantly using them with the tail cap I haven't seen any dimming yet. I couldn't say how much collective time I have on each one so far. I'm pleased.
View All Quotes

Cool. I'm gonna order one up now while I still have the wallet out.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 6:03:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JBecker_72] [#28]
Oh and if anybody wants a tan M300A with just the clicky tailcap I'll let it go for $150. Now listed in the EE.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Soon.jpeg...........waiting on my sopmod and kac rear
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:55:46 PM EDT
[#30]

I've put up a T1 2 moa micro on a LRP mount for a M4A1 lower to finish my Block II and no takers.

I may have to settle for another lower or steal my Block I lower to run the II upper if I can't find a m4a1.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:10:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By fastfoot:

I've put up a T1 2 moa micro on a LRP mount for a M4A1 lower to finish my Block II and no takers.

I may have to settle for another lower or steal my Block I lower to run the II upper if I can't find a m4a1.
View Quote

You could always just sell the T1 and mount, then take that cash and put it towards any number of M4A1 marked Colt lowers that are in the EE right now.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:53:00 AM EDT
[#32]

You could always just sell the T1 and mount, then take that cash and put it towards any number of M4A1 marked Colt lowers that are in the EE right now.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fastfoot:

cash or trade or both. Will see if I have a taker, so far already sold or spf. Still looking. Thinking a 80% and do a engraved copy just to get close.

I'm a CQD for the rail and a sling away from finishing the upper.

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:33:36 PM EDT
[#33]

U.S Marine Sgt. Eric Maehler holds security while conducting a raid during realistic urban training at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles Dec. 8, 2014. Maehler is a team leader with the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit’s Maritime Raid Force. RUT prepares the Marines of the 15th MEU for their upcoming deployment by enhancing their combat skills in environments they may encounter in future missions. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Cpl. Anna Albrecht/Released)
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:05:35 PM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac108/SJasper84/1692614.jpg

U.S Marine Sgt. Eric Maehler holds security while conducting a raid during realistic urban training at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles Dec. 8, 2014. Maehler is a team leader with the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit’s Maritime Raid Force. RUT prepares the Marines of the 15th MEU for their upcoming deployment by enhancing their combat skills in environments they may encounter in future missions. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Cpl. Anna Albrecht/Released)

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes

That is bad ass
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:20:45 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes

Source?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:27:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By TheTacticalCoyote:

Source?
View All Quotes

Source?

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story/military/2014/12/11/marines-use-los-angeles-dodger-stadium-for-mock-raid/20224385/
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#38]

Source?
View All Quotes

Source?

I got it from DVIDS, but that MC Times article works too.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 6:21:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joglee] [#39]
View All Quotes

Thats a basic M4 with a ergo rail that attaches to the barrel through the fsb. You can tell by the screws between it and the delta ring.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By joglee:

Thats a basic M4 with a ergo rail that attaches to the barrel through the fsb. You can tell by the screws between it and the delta ring.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By joglee:

You seem to be right. Makes sense when you look at the other accompanying photo in the above article in MC times.

Looks like a Block 1.5/PR on the right, so It makes sense that the one on the left would be the same with an extension added.

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Does he have a psq36?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Just got the TA31F, but it's going right back out the door.  Working a deal for something with a little more mag, hopefully before the new year.  

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Just got the TA31F, but it's going right back out the door.  Working a deal for something with a little more mag, hopefully before the new year.  

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7512/16007960405_4f90c3c94e_b.jpg
View Quote

Watcha workin' for? I've got an ACOG on mine too, but I wouldn't mind a little more mag.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:02:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Finally got my SU-230, with weaponlight incoming, and please pardon the QD endplate .

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:25:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Did somebody ask for more mag?

Finally got my hands on a SU-230 as well, although that will go on the CQBR while the Mark 8 bounces between the M4A1 and another build.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes

Why does the rifle look shorter than 14.5"?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:03:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By nchapa:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By nchapa:

It's a SIM barrel. Doesn't require a FH.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:46:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UsubM] [#48]
I'm away from home right now so I don't have anything put together yet to post pictures, but here's everything I've got waiting for me

Upper is a BCM 14.5" pinned with a non-FSP RIS II

Aside from the obvious lack of BUIS, is there anything I'm missing? I've kind of just collected different SOPMOD pieces so I can mix and match configurations
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#49]
For now, stole the lower off the Block I. Waiting for the FDE SU-231 peq to get here this coming week.
Bravo 14.5 pinned to 16 w/a Ax2
SF M600U

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:29:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#50]

Watcha workin' for? I've got an ACOG on mine too, but I wouldn't mind a little more mag.
View All Quotes

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7512/16007960405_4f90c3c94e_b.jpg

It's something made by Leupold and it inhabits the 1-8x range.  

No idea how it'll work on the FSP rifle, although it shouldn't be much of an issue.  

It should already be enroute now, so it should definitely be here by the new year.
Page / 911
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top