Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 913
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 10:37:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Mattyvac:
Originally Posted By cmcflex:
Originally Posted By 103:

That letter is a load of garbage. However, if people here have questions about SBR stuff, there are posters that can help in the SBR forum.

Agreed. Look at the date on that. Also, they recommend no M16 carriers, yet that is a standard item on any "AR-15" worth its salt. Nevertheless, one needs to be smart about it without over reacting.

http://www.jcweaponry.com/images/ar15/BB.JPG

I'm just posting this for reference. I personally think the NFA rules are. Giant clusterfuck with the "you could own" a buttstock and be in trouble bs.

Yep.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Less NFA talk, more Block II pics and talk

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:10:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#3]
Well that was weird.  I couldn't see any posts on this page until now.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
Well that was weird.  I couldn't see any posts on this page until now.  

Same. Been happening to me every time a new page starts. Also on further review my first pic appears to be a mk18
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I love this rifle

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Superchi is selling his taupe front sight in the EE for cheap if anyone wants it
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Superchi is selling his taupe front sight in the EE for cheap if anyone wants it

On it !
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 3:16:37 PM EDT
[#8]
My main dilemma at the moment is how cool the Block 2 looks with a SU-231.  

Considering that my Block 2 is the longest FF barrel I've got, I can't justify to myself putting an unmagnified RDS on it when I've got several ACOGs and an ELCAN that could live on it.  

It's simply not practical to have magnified sights on SBRs and non-FF uppers while running an RDS on the most potentially accurate system I've got.    

Hmmm... maybe I'll just have to build another Block 2 upper...  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Augee:
My main dilemma at the moment is how cool the Block 2 looks with a SU-231.  

Considering that my Block 2 is the longest FF barrel I've got, I can't justify to myself putting an unmagnified RDS on it when I've got several ACOGs and an ELCAN that could live on it.  

It's simply not practical to have magnified sights on SBRs and non-FF uppers while running an RDS on the most potentially accurate system I've got.    

Hmmm... maybe I'll just have to build another Block 2 upper...  

~Augee

I wish THAT was my dilemma. Lol. I like the way the su231 looks on the blockII as well, but M opting for a "phased replacement" block 1.5 upper with su231 and 3x.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I can justify 1600 for an nt4 but not for an elcan. Meh.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#11]

I'll let you know if it's worth it

I can't justify the 1600 for the nt4
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ragincajun1919:

I'll let you know if it's worth it

I can't justify the 1600 for the nt4

I'll let YOU know, next month
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Augee why not get the 3x mag for the eotech?
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 3:37:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#14]
ELCAN was easier for me to justify than the NT4, but I had the advantage of being able to "try before you buy" with an ELCAN.  

I can and have used the ELCAN on issued weapons, and it's a practical "working" optic for me.  Getting number two was... well, one is none...

My NT4... well, yeah, I have it for training, HD, SHTF, yadda yadda yadda - but it's essentially a toy, the only time I've carried an NT4, it wasn't "mine."  

I have an Aimpoint 3x mag, and I tried an EOTech 3x mag in the past - and I don't really like them.  

I'm "rexploring" the concept with the Aimpoint 3x and LaRue flip mount I recently picked up, but in general, I didn't like running around with the magnifier sticking off to the side, light transmission and optical clarity is inferior, the range finding function is much less user friendly than ACOG or ELCAN reticules, and there's no BDC at all.  

My current experiment is to mount my SU-231s a little further forward, dump the rear BUIS, and keep the magnifier in a pouch and using the QD function to stick it on when I need it, since the whole FTS thing SUCKS (IMHO).  

Once the magnifier is installed - and maybe I've just been spoiled by short prism optics with great glass - but the optical quality is blurry, darker, and FOV leave very very much to be desired.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#15]
ELCAN was easier for me to justify than the NT4, but I had the advantage of being able to "try before you buy" with an ELCAN.  

I can and have used the ELCAN on issued weapons, and it's a practical "working" optic for me.  Getting number two was... well, one is none...

My NT4... well, yeah, I have it for training, HD, SHTF, yadda yadda yadda - but it's essentially a toy, the only time I've carried an NT4, it wasn't "mine."  

I have an Aimpoint 3x mag, and I tried an EOTech 3x mag in the past - and I don't really like them.  

I'm "rexploring" the concept with the Aimpoint 3x and LaRue flip mount I recently picked up, but in general, I didn't like running around with the magnifier sticking off to the side, light transmission and optical clarity is inferior, the range finding function is much less user friendly than ACOG or ELCAN reticules, and there's no BDC at all.  

My current experiment is to mount my SU-231s a little further forward, dump the rear BUIS, and keep the magnifier in a pouch and using the QD function to stick it on when I need it, since the whole FTS thing SUCKS (IMHO).  

Once the magnifier is installed - and maybe I've just been spoiled by short prism optics with great glass - but the optical quality is blurry, darker, and FOV leave very very much to be desired.  

~Augee

I'm actually considering sending my su231 (when it arrives) back to eotech and have one of the reticle that HAS BDC put on it. It's possible and not all that expensive. I had the eotech 552.308 with its BDC and the reticle was overly busy and I didn't cAre for it. Maybe tells normal BDC reticle will be better.

I bought my can on a whim and honestly regret even starting the process. I don't need it and probably would've gone with a different can if I had put some real thought into it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#16]
The only thing worse than no BDC is a shitty BDC, IMHO.  

I'm a huge EOTech fan because I find the big circle / little dot reticule to be intuitive and quick.  I find the EOTechs with BDCs to be busy and completely useless.  You have no way of judging range by them (ACOG and ELCAN reticules can be used to "choke" or "bracket" a target using the stadia lines) and just look like the reticule is crying.  

The Brownell's "T-Dot" looks like it would be even worse... and dear lord, a biohazard reticule?!  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#17]
The only thing worse than no BDC is a shitty BDC, IMHO.  

I'm a huge EOTech fan because I find the big circle / little dot reticule to be intuitive and quick.  I find the EOTechs with BDCs to be busy and completely useless.  You have no way of judging range by them (ACOG and ELCAN reticules can be used to "choke" or "bracket" a target using the stadia lines) and just look like the reticule is crying.  

The Brownell's "T-Dot" looks like it would be even worse... and dear lord, a biohazard reticule?!  

~Augee

Yeah, that's how the 552.308. Reticle was. Too damn busy. I have a feeling all of their BDC reticles might feel too busy. Need to try one out. I only am getting the 3x because the deal was too good not too. I'll be using my rifle mostly non-magnified
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 5:23:52 PM EDT
[#18]

~Augee

I agree with you wrt to glass quality et al. In addition, the fact that the dot is magnified is a huge downside for me. I have an Aimpoint 3x with an LT QD Pivot mount and I don't use it. Time to sell maybe to get funds for an Elcan.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 5:29:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By thebomber:

~Augee

I agree with you wrt to glass quality et al. In addition, the fact that the dot is magnified is a huge downside for me. I have an Aimpoint 3x with an LT QD Pivot mount and I don't use it. Time to sell maybe to get funds for an Elcan.

I never found the dot to be too magnified even at 300m
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#20]
The dot isnt magnified its still a 1moa dot at a 100yrd target
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#21]
So is the EXPS3-0 definitely replacing the 553? I really like the looks of the 553 vs the EXPS line a lot more.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By patriot_man:
So is the EXPS3-0 definitely replacing the 553? I really like the looks of the 553 vs the EXPS line a lot more.

I would say yes, the exps is far more reliable than the others
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 7:05:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thebomber] [#23]
Originally Posted By sinlessorrow:

Are you sure? I've only used the Aimpont magnifier behind an Aimpoint and I can assure you it is magnified. Can someone explain how an Eotech would be different. Yes I know my Aimpoint dots are 2 MOA and 3.4 MOA respectively whereas an Eotech is 1 MOA.

ETA...maybe I'm wrong.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 7:08:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dog_dad] [#24]
Originally Posted By patriot_man:

I would say yes, the exps is far more reliable than the others

Damn lol

On the other hand... does anyone have a Tango Down VFG with the Insight cut out they want to sell to me?
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Are you sure? I've only used the Aimpont magnifier behind an Aimpoint and I can assure you it is magnified. Can someone explain how an Eotech would be different. Yes I know my Aimpoint dots are 2 MOA and 3.4 MOA respectively whereas an Eotech is 1 MOA.

holographic magic
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 7:13:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#26]
What would happen if you stacked a magnifier in front of your optic?
Srs question tho...

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 7:31:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey rajin, I bought the tan M3X. FYI

New pic with some new goodies:

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#28]
I'll have to check again with my EOTech, but IIRC, the magnifier makes the dot bigger, it magnifies everything in the picture - but it doesn't increase the relative size of the dot - i.e. it still covers 1 MOA, 1 MOA is just 3x bigger than it used to be.  

As for putting the magnifier in front of the optic, besides the fact that it would probably be awfully unwieldy looking through a parallax free red dot into a scope tube - I doubt that magnifiers are properly set up as "shoot through" magnifiers - you wouldn't be able to hold the same zero - much like mounting an NVD ahead of, rather than behind an optic.  

CNVDs designed to be placed in front of optics are far more complex and far more expensive than standard NVDs.  I think behind is the right place for the magnifier if you're going to use one.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 7:45:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thebomber] [#29]
I'll have to check again with my EOTech, but IIRC, the magnifier makes the dot bigger, it magnifies everything in the picture - but it doesn't increase the relative size of the dot - i.e. it still covers 1 MOA, 1 MOA is just 3x bigger than it used to be.  
As for putting the magnifier in front of the optic, besides the fact that it would probably be awfully unwieldy looking through a parallax free red dot into a scope tube - I doubt that magnifiers are properly set up as "shoot through" magnifiers - you wouldn't be able to hold the same zero - much like mounting an NVD ahead of, rather than behind an optic.  

CNVDs designed to be placed in front of optics are far more complex and far more expensive than standard NVDs.  I think behind is the right place for the magnifier if you're going to use one.  

~Augee

Yes that's how I understand it and from my perspective, it does little to improve precision since there is no change in the relative size of the dot and the target. It just doesn't work for me. YMMV.

Keep in mind, I live in the Aimpoint World where we have 2, 3.4 and 4 MOA dots
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 7:47:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ragincajun1919] [#30]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/dillsmod/P1010014.jpg

Damn you!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 7:49:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thebomber] [#31]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/dillsmod/P1010014.jpg

Nice looking rifle.....looks a lot like mine. Your sig line is so very true for me and my Galaxy 10.1

ETA...where'd you get the Garmin and how much?

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#32]

Added the G23, great combo.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#33]
10-4, good discussion.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#34]

~Augee

Yes that's how I understand it and from my perspective, it does little to improve precision since there is no change in the relative size of the dot and the target. It just doesn't work for me. YMMV.

Hitting a targe at 300yrds using an eotech magnified by 3x is far easier than none magnified
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#36]

~Augee

Hitting a targe at 300yrds using an eotech magnified by 3x is far easier than none magnified for me

Like I said, I don;t use an Eotech. On the other hand, I'm a pretty experienced shooter and although most of it is well inside 300 meters, I didn't find the Aimpoint 3x worth the added bulk and having it hanging off the side. If you added the green part, I would be 100% in agreement with you.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Sorry this is a picture thread and I've been talking much to much. To make up for that I submit the following:

Ohh and I cannot wait to try some of this in my clones

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 8:32:02 PM EDT
[#38]

for reals - very beautiful gun.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 8:34:30 PM EDT
[#39]

Sorry this is a picture thread and I've been talking much to much. To make up for that I submit the following:

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm77/hardgear/IMG_6670.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm77/hardgear/IMG_6625-1.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm77/hardgear/IMG_6524-1.jpg

Alright, that'll be ENOUGH outta you, sir.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

Alright, that'll be ENOUGH outta you, sir.

LOL. My thoughts exactly
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 9:39:57 PM EDT
[#41]

~Augee

Hitting a targe at 300yrds using an eotech magnified by 3x is far easier than none magnified for me

Like I said, I don;t use an Eotech. On the other hand, I'm a pretty experienced shooter and although most of it is well inside 300 meters, I didn't find the Aimpoint 3x worth the added bulk and having it hanging off the side. If you added the green part, I would be 100% in agreement with you.

It doesnt matter who you are. I can hit targets at 300y but i can hit them even easier when theyre magnified
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#42]

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm77/hardgear/IMG_6670.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm77/hardgear/IMG_6625-1.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm77/hardgear/IMG_6524-1.jpg

Where can I find some M855A1?
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 10:47:47 PM EDT
[#43]

~Augee

It doesnt matter who you are. I can hit targets at 300y but i can hit them even easier when theyre magnified

Anyone can hit targets out to 300, even with irons....I regularly shoot 4moa aimpoints and the like out to 300 for shits and giggles.

The kac 2-600m buis makes it stupid easy to hit 300 with buis. And eotech is even easier.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:12:24 PM EDT
[#44]

~Augee

Dude don't be a dick....I admitted that it may work for YOU. It doesn't work for me....pretty fucking simple. I'm glad it works for you...congrats. You're awesome and I suck ok.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:13:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sinlessorrow] [#45]

Dude don't be a dick....I admitted that it may work for YOU. It doesn't work for me....pretty fucking simple. I'm glad it works for you...congrats. You're awesome and I suck ok.

i wasnt trying to be, i was just saying identifying and hitting a target at 300M is easier when hes 3x the size?

i just dont understand how you can hit a target thats magnified by 3 easier than one thats not. i honestly didnt mean to insult you
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:43:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Next week my block 1.5 should be done.
Specs:
PSA 14.7" carbine upper
KAC RAS
SU231 (3x option)
KAC 200-600m BUIS
SOPMOD stock

Also bought a cheap eotech 511 from the EE for the old school look if I felt so inclined.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:59:37 PM EDT
[#47]

i wasnt trying to be, i was just saying identifying and hitting a target at 300M is easier when hes 3x the size?

i just dont understand how you can hit a target thats magnified by 3 easier than one thats not. i honestly didnt mean to insult you

Roger that. Its the internet and you dont know me as I dont know you. Speaking for myself, I have a fair amount of shooting/training experience and since the dot and the target are equaly magnified, for me there is no increase in precision at 300 meters using a magnifier. Maybe its due to my slight astigmatism. Maybe the magnification exacerbates that astigmatism. All I know is in my experience the magnifier provides no precision advantage and has an ergonomic penalty. Thats my experience. I did not discount your experience yet I feel you tried to discount mine.

Lets agree to disagree or better yet accept we're different and can have different results that can be equally valid.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 3:47:46 AM EDT
[#48]

Roger that. Its the internet and you dont know me as I dont know you. Speaking for myself, I have a fair amount of shooting/training experience and since the dot and the target are equaly magnified, for me there is no increase in precision at 300 meters using a magnifier. Maybe its due to my slight astigmatism. Maybe the magnification exacerbates that astigmatism. All I know is in my experience the magnifier provides no precision advantage and has an ergonomic penalty. Thats my experience. I did not discount your experience yet I feel you tried to discount mine.

Lets agree to disagree or better yet accept we're different and can have different results that can be equally valid.

wow grown men acting like children on the internet again...shocker. maybe you should just buy each other breakfast and call it even. different stuff works for different people, or at the very least some have a greater disposable income, end of story
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 9:26:16 AM EDT
[#49]
wow grown men acting like children on the internet again...shocker. maybe you should just buy each other breakfast and call it even. different stuff works for different people, or at the very least some have a greater disposable income, end of story

If you took the time to read my responses, that's exactly what I was saying.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Getting back on topic.

Looks like these guys find the SR-D-IT usable. Personally I find that they're total shit.
Page / 913
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top