BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 913
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By patriot_man:
Got my upper back with my lower being far far away. Have yet to get the flash hider pinned (Surefire 215) but I put it on to see how it looks... Looks like a duck. I'll post pictures soon but I'm starting to rethink my flash hider choice. lol

At least you aren't stuck with a mount that requires a 16" barrel and is HUGE (AAC SPRM4 mount)
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 10:51:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I ordered a Viking Tactical MK2 Sling for my rifle, figured it's time for an upgrade from the OD web sling I've been using
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 1:59:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dog_dad] [#3]
I was taking a look at my RIS II and something seemed off with my lower rail.

It doesn't have these vent holes... Anyone else's like mine?

I did hear a guy on Lightfighter bent his bottom rail while giving it some forward pressure on a bipod... maybe this is a new change they implemented?

EDIT!!!!!! : CLICK ME TO GO TO THE DD RIS II WEBPAGE looks like the RIS II was changed up a bit. Black hardware, no vent holes in the front portion of the bottom rail.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#4]
ToDay will be the longest wait for the mail man EVER!
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 10:44:49 AM EDT
[#5]
IIRC, the Marines haven't purchased any M320s, it's well known that the Marine Corps tends to get new equipment later than the Army, though in recent years a good number of Marine Corps specific items and platforms have been fielded.  It doesn't surpise me to see them as the most common users of the M203 with the RIS II.  

Also, across all the services, I would expect legacy M203 systems to remain in service for quite some time.  

I'm thinking about doing a multi-purpose / variable optic comparison using one of my M4A1 uppers in the near future - do a side by side test of the SU-230, SU-231 with 3x magnifier, and 4x DOS (TA01NSN) with an MRD mounted, with an M68 CCO (Aimpoint CompM2) and AN/PVQ-31B (TA31F - the actual PVQ-31B is the TA31RCO-M4) as controls.  It would be a scored course of fire with multiple target ranges, with target descrimination (testing the PID aspects of the optics).  I'd do a run, but I'm also trying to use some of my soldiers with "known quantity" experience, but that aren't "gun guys" and could give me an objective scoring.  

Regarding the use of the magnifier, I did actually give it a try, and found that due to my astigmatism, the dot size of the 1 MOA dot on the EOTech at 1x and 3x are basically the same - just with the 3x, it's a round dot, since it's being filtered through collimated lenses.  At 1x, it's a 3 MOA "slash."  

This of course being a known problem for me, and why I don't like Aimpoints, the dot size "oblongs" too much to be useful, while unmagnified, the 1 MOA dot of the EOTech, even though it also oblongs, is still small enough for me to use.  

I think I'm going to go back to a black upper for my Block 2 build - I think I prefer the look of the black / brown Block 2s, and I can re-use the painted upper on another project... or I can just buy another RIS II and paint the whole upper.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 10:52:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Augee:
IIRC, the Marines haven't purchased any M320s, it's well known that the Marine Corps tends to get new equipment later than the Army, though in recent years a good number of Marine Corps specific items and platforms have been fielded.  It doesn't surpise me to see them as the most common users of the M203 with the RIS II.  

Also, across all the services, I would expect legacy M203 systems to remain in service for quite some time.  

I'm thinking about doing a multi-purpose / variable optic comparison using one of my M4A1 uppers in the near future - do a side by side test of the SU-230, SU-231 with 3x magnifier, and 4x DOS (TA01NSN) with an MRD mounted, with an M68 CCO (Aimpoint CompM2) and AN/PVQ-31B (TA31F - the actual PVQ-31B is the TA31RCO-M4) as controls.  It would be a scored course of fire with multiple target ranges, with target descrimination (testing the PID aspects of the optics).  I'd do a run, but I'm also trying to use some of my soldiers with "known quantity" experience, but that aren't "gun guys" and could give me an objective scoring.  

Regarding the use of the magnifier, I did actually give it a try, and found that due to my astigmatism, the dot size of the 1 MOA dot on the EOTech at 1x and 3x are basically the same - just with the 3x, it's a round dot, since it's being filtered through collimated lenses.  At 1x, it's a 3 MOA "slash."  

This of course being a known problem for me, and why I don't like Aimpoints, the dot size "oblongs" too much to be useful, while unmagnified, the 1 MOA dot of the EOTech, even though it also oblongs, is still small enough for me to use.  

I think I'm going to go back to a black upper for my Block 2 build - I think I prefer the look of the black / brown Block 2s, and I can re-use the painted upper on another project... or I can just buy another RIS II and paint the whole upper.  

~Augee

Well, you DID mention wanting a RIS II upper with an SU231.... Perfect opportunity!

Link Posted: 1/30/2012 1:25:54 PM EDT
[#7]
What do you guys think about the idea of exchanging my M300 for a M952V? Someone in the EE is looking to do a straight trade.

I like the fact that it has IR, is brighter (because it's 6V), and has a push button as well as a tapeswitch capability at the same time –– which would allow me to run it at 3 o'clock instead of offset from the 9 at the 10:30 range.

What I don't like is the doubled weight and mount that may or may not be up to par (the thumbscrew mount on my M300 failed on me before, which is why I invested in a Gear Sector mount).

I saw the M300V that SF is putting out soon, but I don't know when that will be and what the pricing will be (if I can even get just the head), in addition to it having a single-option tail cap compared to the M952V.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 1:30:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: the-answer-is-42] [#8]
Nvm
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By osha:
What do you guys think about the idea of exchanging my M300 for a M952V? Someone in the EE is looking to do a straight trade.

I like the fact that it has IR, is brighter (because it's 6V), and has a push button as well as a tapeswitch capability at the same time –– which would allow me to run it at 3 o'clock instead of offset from the 9 at the 10:30 range.

What I don't like is the doubled weight and mount that may or may not be up to par (the thumbscrew mount on my M300 failed on me before, which is why I invested in a Gear Sector mount).

I saw the M300V that SF is putting out soon, but I don't know when that will be and what the pricing will be (if I can even get just the head), in addition to it having a single-option tail cap compared to the M952V.

Thoughts?

I say go for it, ive seen scout lights, m951's etc on block II's
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 1:47:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FAB-10_Guy] [#10]

Thoughts?

I'm quite happy with my M952V and the mount seems sturdy enough, but I've never run it hard, nor have I any experience with an M300, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.  If the only difference is a few ounces from ONE piece of equipment that is being changed, I think you'll be alright.  It's the ounces that add up when adding multiple add-ons.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I had two which I got for a killer price . My first initial impression was that the M952V was really bulky and heavy. When put on my old block II build it threw off the balance both to the front as well as to whichever side it was mounted on. The mount in my opinion was also too big and bulky as well. I sold both of them. I hated the weight and size so I got an X300 and now that I sold the X300 I'm thinking about picking up a scout light for a longer throw. I wouldn't trade it but that's just me. Also had some problems with my M952V's which I'll talk about later since I'm typing this on my phone.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I had two which I got for a killer price . My first initial impression was that the M952V was really bulky and heavy. When put on my old block II build it threw off the balance both to the front as well as to whichever side it was mounted on. The mount in my opinion was also too big and bulky as well. I sold both of them. I hated the weight and size so I got an X300 and now that I sold the X300 I'm thinking about picking up a scout light for a longer throw. I wouldn't trade it but that's just me. Also had some problems with my M952V's which I'll talk about later since I'm typing this on my phone.

Thanks for the input. For me, it really boils down to increased light, IR capabilities, and the dual tailcap for an additional 4.7 oz. Since I plan to throw an SR07 on there, I will be able to mount it to the 3 o'clock, which mitigates the bulk problem. If I'm not satisfied, I'll probably sell it and save up for a 720V RAID, as it looks like the grail of weapon-mounted lights. Of course, I still need optics... sigh.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey block II broskitos which insight light is appropriate for the SOPMOD block II?

M3x. Or  M3?

Tanks!
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 5:57:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: osha] [#14]
Originally Posted By GAshooter11:
Hey block II broskitos which insight light is appropriate for the SOPMOD block II?

M3x. Or  M3?

Tanks!

M3X Long gun tan
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Is there any other gas block other than the DD mk12 that will fit under the RIS II?  

Sorry if this has been asked but I was lazy and didn't want to scroll through all 109 pages.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 6:36:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ggee87:
Is there any other gas block other than the DD mk12 that will fit under the RIS II?  

Sorry if this has been asked but I was lazy and didn't want to scroll through all 109 pages.

Kac mk12, Troy low pro, badger mk12
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Mattyvac:

So the other DD low pro gas blocks wont fit?
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#18]

They're all roughly the same price; whatcha worried about?

Link Posted: 1/30/2012 6:45:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Any low pro ga block will
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Any low pro ga block will

Cool thanks for the info.  Hoping to order the RISII and Gas block friday.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 7:20:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone know anything about the PEQ-15 on ebay under this URL:http://www.ebay.com/itm/IRLASERSTORE-3in1-AN-PEQ-15-unit-peq-pvs-/110797009872?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5985800712443888716    is it legit or a high priced airsoft piece of junk
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By MarioMarietta:
Anyone know anything about the PEQ-15 on ebay under this URL:http://www.ebay.com/itm/IRLASERSTORE-3in1-AN-PEQ-15-unit-peq-pvs-/110797009872?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5985800712443888716    is it legit or a high priced airsoft piece of junk

You think a real ATPIAL will be $420?
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Airsoft unit that they installed an IR laser & IR illum module into.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 7:31:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CujoTwoOne] [#24]
Anyone know anything about the PEQ-15 on ebay under this  is it legit or a high priced airsoft piece of junk

Probably should remove the link just in case. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_148/909586_Important_information_concerning_IR_lasers_.html
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 7:59:57 PM EDT
[#25]
That guy has 89.3% feedback. Reading through it, there are many complaints about his "airsoft junk". Definitely stear clear.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By kennym:
That guy has 89.3% feedback. Reading through it, there are many complaints about his "airsoft junk". Definitely stear clear.

Plus the product is in Hong Kong.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the input. For me, it really boils down to increased light, IR capabilities, and the dual tailcap for an additional 4.7 oz. Since I plan to throw an SR07 on there, I will be able to mount it to the 3 o'clock, which mitigates the bulk problem. If I'm not satisfied, I'll probably sell it and save up for a 720V RAID, as it looks like the grail of weapon-mounted lights. Of course, I still need optics... sigh.

I also did have a problem with the heads on the M952V. One unit with 0 rounds started to die and flicker (white light) after approximately 50 hours of use and  the second unit with 1,500 rounds did the same. Sent em back to Surefire and came back good to go. Not sure if they worked out the kinks but it's something to look out for.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 8:14:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dog_dad] [#28]
Double tap again.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 8:18:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dog_dad] [#29]

You can also tell from the pressure switch plug. Too thin to be the Mil spec plug.

This is what the mil spec pressure pad plug looks like.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#30]
looks like my new upper WONT be coming soon. my deal feel through (seller stop communicating)...damn
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By ragincajun1919:
looks like my new upper WONT be coming soon. my deal feel through (seller stop communicating)...damn

Damn is right.  Well, I'm sure it won't be hard to find another one.  Was the upper from the EE?  Who's the seller?  Probably would be good for all of us to know.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#32]

I thought I had a RIS II lined up but the seller turned out to be a dick. I feel your pain.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 10:35:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By brianm423:

Damn is right.  Well, I'm sure it won't be hard to find another one.  Was the upper from the EE?  Who's the seller?  Probably would be good for all of us to know.

giving him another day before I put that info out there
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 11:59:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dog_dad] [#34]
Guess what!? Muzzle device attached and good to go!!! Also have a Tangodown vertical foregrip with the Insight cut out coming in. Now all that's left is the KAC sights, Surefire M600C, and a Eotech 553. I wish an PEQ-15 as well but lol

Link Posted: 1/31/2012 12:10:40 AM EDT
[#35]
would it be blasphemy to use one of these uppers on a lower equiped with the A5 stock system
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 12:19:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By sinlessorrow:
would it be blasphemy to use one of these uppers on a lower equiped with the A5 stock system

Don't tell and no one would know.  

It really depends on how strict a clone you want to build.  I might say that 16" barrels, midlength gas systems, and receiver extensions with anything other than four positions were suspect, heck, even some of the more "correct" clones are still using gov't profile barrels.    

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 12:20:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By sinlessorrow:

Don't tell and no one would know.  

It really depends on how strict a clone you want to build.  I might say that 16" barrels, midlength gas systems, and receiver extensions with anything other than four positions were suspect, heck, even some of the more "correct" clones are still using gov't profile barrels.    

~Augee

i plan on going 14.5" since my lower is a SBR
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 1:08:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Will816] [#38]
New pic and a couple vids.  The AK belongs to a friend.  In the video of both of us shooting I'm on the AK and he's on my 6920.  The last video I made for my dad to show the benefit of the Magpul BAD lever, I haven't had a chance to shoot with him yet (he lives in Idaho and I haven't made it out there since I bought it).  I think the BAD lever, the BattleComp and VLTOR stock are on the way out though.  I want to get a little closer to a perfect non-NFA clone.  I don't know if I want to commit to the SureFire flash hider so it may just be back to the A2 for now, and I think I might have to order up the B5 SOPMOD stock from Rainier Arms.  My jury is still out on the barrel.... It's still the 6920 barrel.  I am an elitist and as such I will only put a Colt barrel on a Colt gun that is supposed to be a clone of another Colt gun, but like I said, without committing to a flash hider I need to stay NFA compliant.

Mag change

EDIT: The video of us both shooting was removed, per request of my friend
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 2:10:15 AM EDT
[#39]

~Augee

My secret is out: my buffer tube is a six position tube AND my barrel isn't a SOCOM profile....  

Link Posted: 1/31/2012 2:20:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Guess what!? Muzzle device attached and good to go!!! Also have a Tangodown vertical foregrip with the Insight cut out coming in. Now all that's left is the KAC sights, Surefire M600C, and a Eotech 553. I wish an PEQ-15 as well but lol

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7173/6793821745_fd3348094d_b.jpg

I am curious, why the Insight cut out on the TD VFG when you have a surefire light?
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 2:52:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By 1AEGW:

I am curious, why the Insight cut out on the TD VFG when you have a surefire light?

I bought the TD VFG with the Insight cut because
1) it's the one in the SOPMOD block II kit
2) I got it for a good price used
3) I plan to use the click end cap on the M600C so there's no need for the Surefire cut out
4) I may get a PEQ-15 in the near future

Also I don't like Surefire's standard pressure switch and never plan on using one ever again so there was no point in getting the surefire cut for me. It's either click tail cap or their rail mounted pressure pad for me.
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 7:11:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tmender03] [#42]
Originally Posted By kennym:

Considering it's from Hong Kong, no wonder... Real stuff is not made in China for our AR-15's.

Edit: apparently I missed Page 110 all together.
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 11:06:56 AM EDT
[#43]

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7173/6793821745_fd3348094d_b.jpg

Posts like this keep pushing me to move the RIS II back to a black receiver.  

Looks great!  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm trying to decide what's worth it more. The DBAL or a m4 cqbr upper.... I think it all depends on the su230 being everything I want and more or me liking the su231 more.
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 2:38:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GAshooter11] [#45]

damn! well here's mine finally

1.5 block II
BCM upper govt profile 14.5 pinned
RRA lower for now
SU-230
KAC RAS
matech buis

Link Posted: 1/31/2012 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#46]

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af328/nicCartel/IMG_0018-4.jpg
1.5 block II
RRA lower for now
SU-230
KAC RAS
matech buis

Good ol' purple RAS.
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#47]

1.5 block II
RRA lower for now
SU-230
KAC RAS
matech buis

awesome
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 2:58:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#48]

1.5 block II
RRA lower for now
SU-230
KAC RAS
matech buis

I dig your style!  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 3:13:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Finally got my upper and installed the RIS II. I sold my ACOG to someone who is deploying soon, so this will be without optics 'til my Elcan gets here (, but a black one). As such, I opted to use my KAC 300m BUIS instead of the 200-600m. Still need to add my M600C. SR07 switch, and  KAC sling swivel mount.

It's all LMT except for the barrel, which is a Colt SOCOM, and the BCM Mod 4 charging handle. I have a little Magpul and KAC on there, but that's how I like it.

Colt barrel markings (dated 10/03):

Oil-soaked M203 cuts in the barrel:

F-marked FSB beautifully shaved and parkerized by ADCO:
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 3:15:17 PM EDT
[#50]

1.5 block II
RRA lower for now
SU-230
KAC RAS
matech buis

Congrats! I'm jealous. Did you order a second su230?
Page / 913
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top