AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 912
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By aaron580:
Installijg an ris ii fsp and need some info, what do you guys do to keep the rail aligned with the upper so its not canted or slightly off from the upper after its tight?
View Quote
I use an ACOG mount to hold it in place while I get the screws installed. Then I remove the ACOG mount and tighten the screws just enough so it doesn't move easily. Then I tap it with a rubber mallet to line it up on top and bottom. You can do this by eye very well. Laying it on a flat surface helps. You have to make sure you incrementally tighten the screws so the rail won't cant.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 8:22:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HARMS4X] [#3]
Double post
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 8:31:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aaron580] [#4]
Originally Posted By sbye:

I bridge a carry handle between the rail and upper to hold it in place while I tighten the screws
View Quote
Doh! I had a carry handle in my parts drawer and forgot about it! I was going to use the acog mount method like pez said above, looks like ill get it done tomorrow. Thanks for the info fellows!

And pez, hello from the home state!
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:02:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Doh! I had a carry handle in my parts drawer and forgot about it! I was going to use the acog mount method like pez said above, looks like ill get it done tomorrow. Thanks for the info fellows!

And pez, hello from the home state!
View Quote
I'm never happy with the alignment with just using the carry handle/mount. The upper and rail are slightly different so it's always off a tad.

I'm near Bloomington
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#7]
nice piece
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:14:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Exceptionally clear glass.  I'm looking heavily at replacing my EXPS/3x with that.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:39:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Ughhh I want that scope for my FSP block 2 so bad!!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Which wrench are you using for the sf4p to torque it down? Standard wrench is too wide and my adjustable handle is too small. So frustrating i couldnt finish tonight
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 8:30:22 PM EDT
[#11]
welll mk18 uppers in stock at brownells, no such luck for a 14.5'' upper eh? :(
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Which wrench are you using for the sf4p to torque it down? Standard wrench is too wide and my adjustable handle is too small. So frustrating i couldnt finish tonight
View Quote
IIRC its a 3/4"   I took an old wrench (got several 3/4" in the tool box) put it on the brench grinder and shaved one side thinner.  If you have a USGI barrel wrench thats what I used down range.

CD
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 6:11:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

IIRC its a 3/4"   I took an old wrench (got several 3/4" in the tool box) put it on the brench grinder and shaved one side thinner.  If you have a USGI barrel wrench thats what I used down range.

CD
View Quote
I actually tried that with the wrench and got bored grinding so didn't finish. Big gun show is in town, so I'll look for a usgi wrench there, otherwise I'll have my snap on guy order me a 3/4 low pro crows foot
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 8:43:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I actually tried that with the wrench and got bored grinding so didn't finish. Big gun show is in town, so I'll look for a usgi wrench there, otherwise I'll have my snap on guy order me a 3/4 low pro crows foot
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

CD
If you don't need it for anything else and don't want to drop the cash on snap-on, harbor freight sells a pack of slim wrenches for like $10 that are the perfect thickness for the Surefire flashhiders...
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:46:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: aaron580] [#15]
Originally Posted By Dobs013:

If you don't need it for anything else and don't want to drop the cash on snap-on, harbor freight sells a pack of slim wrenches for like $10 that are the perfect thickness for the Surefire flashhiders...
View Quote
Oh I'll use the shit out of it, Lol. I may go that route to get me through this weekend but I need an excuse to get a giant set of crows feet anyway, and just found it
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Oh I'll use the shit out of it, Lol. I may go that route to get me through this weekend but I need an excuse to get a giant set of crows feet anyway, and just found it
View All Quotes

I hear that! These problems are nice if you're ever looking for an excuse to buy tooling, I usually use work for that excuse
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#17]

I hear that! These problems are nice if you're ever looking for an excuse to buy tooling, I usually use work for that excuse
View Quote
Buying tooling for work is a better excuse to the misses than the clone life. Jus sayin' in my case.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By eMc9001:
Buying tooling for work is a better excuse to the misses than the clone life. Jus sayin' in my case.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eMc9001:

Exactly!
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Hi gang,

I know this thread is supposed to be for pictures, but I thought you'd be the guys to ask.

I've been pretty inactive in the clone game for a while and haven't been checking this thread. I built my Block II almost 2 years ago. It was an FSP version because, at the time, that was the only DD RIS II rail I could find in FDE.

Last week, I saw a listing on the EE that I thought was too good to be true ( complete block ii upper ), and I decided it was time to change out my FSP rail for the non-FSP version.

So, I contacted the seller, made a deal, sent him my money and then set about the pain in the ass project of removing my FSP rail from a gun with a 14.5 inch barrel and a pinned and welded flash hider installed. Not fun! Several hours with a dremel later, my front sight post was cut down and the rail was off. I sold it on the EE, and was looking forward to receiving the upper I had bought so I could remove the non-FSP rail from that and install it on my baby.

I sent the guy the money a week ago, and I haven't heard from him since. I'm pretty sure that I got ripped off. There's at least one other forum member who sent the same user payment for a used Eotech 3-0, and he hasn't received his item either. I started a thread in the negative feedback forum ( RJC1977 - No communication and no item after payment... ), but I don't have much hope that I'll ever see my money or my rail.

So, now I'm out the money for the upper AND I sold off my FSP rail. I have a Block II clone with a cut down FSP but no rail to put on it.

My question is: How screwed am I? Non-FSP rails were hard to find 2 years ago when I was first putting together my clone, and I can only imagine that they're even harder to find now. Do they come up on the EE with any sort of regularity? Even if they do, I'm a little gun shy now about using the EE after my last rather bad experience.

Am I totally screwed?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#20]
No, you're not screwed. Sorry to hear about your bad experience, and hope for a speedy resolution.

RIS II's seem to trickle through. I've seen periods of plenty and drought within the last couple of years. I'm sure you'll be able to find another, though it may not be as inexpensive as two years ago. Check the EE and eBay.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:39:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By sdrake100:
No, you're not screwed. Sorry to hear about your bad experience, and hope for a speedy resolution.

RIS II's seem to trickle through. I've seen periods of plenty and drought within the last couple of years. I'm sure you'll be able to find another, though it may not be as inexpensive as two years ago. Check the EE and eBay.
View Quote
Thanks. What seems to be the going rate for a RIS II non-FSP in FDE in good shape these days?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 7:57:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By bradavic:

Thanks. What seems to be the going rate for a RIS II non-FSP in FDE in good shape these days?
View Quote
There were a couple used ones (that looked like new) in the EE not long ago in the $600-650 range. On GB, I've seen NIB (mounting hardware still sealed) go for $840-900.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Raptor83:
There were a couple used ones (that looked like new) in the EE not long ago in the $600-650 range. On GB, I've seen NIB (mounting hardware still sealed) go for $840-900.
View Quote
Damn. That's worse than I thought.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 4:19:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Damn. That's worse than I thought.
View Quote
Thanks, guys. I may just have to de-clone my rifle. I've been eyeing those new Geissele MK13 and Mk14 rails.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Thanks, guys. I may just have to de-clone my rifle. I've been eyeing those new Geissele MK13 and Mk14 rails.
View Quote
You could also wait to see which m-lok the sf guys will use and do a block 3
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By prskiller:

You could also wait to see which m-lok the sf guys will use and do a block 3
View Quote
Haha! True. We could be waiting quite a while for that though.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Haha! True. We could be waiting quite a while for that though.
View Quote
There is an RIS II non fsp for 575 in the ee. That's about the cheapest I've seen lately
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#28]

There is an RIS II non fsp for 575 in the ee. That's about the cheapest I've seen lately
View Quote
Hmm... That one didn't come up when I did my search.

Thanks. Of course, after being ripped off, I'm not sure I can afford it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

Yeah I saw the thread in negative feedback, that sucks dude. I hope it gets resolved
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok guys... I've been working on this FUCKING 4 prong damn flash hider trying to get it times for 3 FUCKING HOURS! About to throw this fucking gun across my parking lot. Any help for timing this piece of shit f/h? Tips? Tricks? Something I'm missing? I've tried probably every way those shims can go and guess what, nothing. And to top it off, when I thought I had it, the fucking rock set in the surefire bottle was already dry before I opened it. Help appreciated, really pissed, going to chill, rant off
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#31]

Yeah I saw the thread in negative feedback, that sucks dude. I hope it gets resolved
View Quote
Thanks. Not holding my breath though.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:28:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Ok guys... I've been working on this FUCKING 4 prong damn flash hider trying to get it times for 3 FUCKING HOURS! About to throw this fucking gun across my parking lot. Any help for timing this piece of shit f/h? Tips? Tricks? Something I'm missing? I've tried probably every way those shims can go and guess what, nothing. And to top it off, when I thought I had it, the fucking rock set in the surefire bottle was already dry before I opened it. Help appreciated, really pissed, going to chill, rant off
View Quote
PM sent

CD
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:25:46 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:14:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: researchanddestroy] [#34]
My totally scientific method for timing the SF muzzle devices is this:

1.Put on the big fat beveled washer surefire says to put on first

2. Screw on flash hider all the way

3. Back of flash hider till it is timed correctly, then take it back another 10 degrees or so from timed position

4. Grab a bunch of the washers, and see how many fit in the gap between flash hider and the big washer up against your barrel

5. Unscrew flash hider

6.Take the number of washers that fit in the gap, sometimes + one of the thinnest ones in addition, and put them on your barrel

7. Screw back on the flash hider and tighten to verify timing is correct

8. Unscrew flash hider, apply rockset to the threads

9.re torque to flash hider to propper timed position
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Brownells MK18 upper, colt bcg&ch, KAC 200m-600m micro, all come in next week.

I want a 99051 for it. I have a taupe one on my 14.5" block 2 upper, but can't find them anywhere.

Lots of black ones though. I believe CD said the black ones were issued. Are the black 99051s more accurate on the 14.5 URG or the 10.3 URG

Pic thread

Traded the aimpoint micro for a TA01nsn that's on its way
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 762hunter2:
Brownells MK18 upper, colt bcg&ch, KAC 200m-600m micro, all come in next week.

I want a 99051 for it. I have a taupe one on my 14.5" block 2 upper, but can't find them anywhere.

Lots of black ones though. I believe CD said the black ones were issued. Are the black 99051s more accurate on the 14.5 URG or the 10.3 URG

Pic thread http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u613/SKSh762hunter/IMG_0808_zps8m4k1yo6.jpg

Traded the aimpoint micro for a TA01nsn that's on its way
View Quote
Unsure if it makes a difference for the M4A1 and the MK18 but they were definitely used on MK12's
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 1:27:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NickOTime] [#37]
I love shooting my Block II at distance.  Although 200 is as far as I have been able to stretch it as our range is only that long.  I was testing out a Knights lower this weekend that I put together a while back.  I have to say that I am really enjoying the KAC 2 stage trigger over the SSA.  The second stage to me feels a little "smoother" overall.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#38]
I used to have money till I learned what cloning is..(especially block II)

Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Hi gang,

I know this thread is supposed to be for pictures, but I thought you'd be the guys to ask.

I've been pretty inactive in the clone game for a while and haven't been checking this thread. I built my Block II almost 2 years ago. It was an FSP version because, at the time, that was the only DD RIS II rail I could find in FDE.

Last week, I saw a listing on the EE that I thought was too good to be true ( complete block ii upper ), and I decided it was time to change out my FSP rail for the non-FSP version.

So, I contacted the seller, made a deal, sent him my money and then set about the pain in the ass project of removing my FSP rail from a gun with a 14.5 inch barrel and a pinned and welded flash hider installed. Not fun! Several hours with a dremel later, my front sight post was cut down and the rail was off. I sold it on the EE, and was looking forward to receiving the upper I had bought so I could remove the non-FSP rail from that and install it on my baby.

I sent the guy the money a week ago, and I haven't heard from him since. I'm pretty sure that I got ripped off. There's at least one other forum member who sent the same user payment for a used Eotech 3-0, and he hasn't received his item either. I started a thread in the negative feedback forum ( RJC1977 - No communication and no item after payment... ), but I don't have much hope that I'll ever see my money or my rail.

So, now I'm out the money for the upper AND I sold off my FSP rail. I have a Block II clone with a cut down FSP but no rail to put on it.

My question is: How screwed am I? Non-FSP rails were hard to find 2 years ago when I was first putting together my clone, and I can only imagine that they're even harder to find now. Do they come up on the EE with any sort of regularity? Even if they do, I'm a little gun shy now about using the EE after my last rather bad experience.

Am I totally screwed?
View Quote
Hope everything works out for you. I was in a similar situation a many years back with an EE transaction (not the same seller as yours). I paid via Paypal and used my CC instead of my bank account and ended up disputing the charge and getting my money back. Maybe that's something you can look into as well. I know it does not help your current predicament but, at least you wont be screwed out of the funds.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#40]
First picture I've taken with my new Scout Light, sweet corn as a background

I got the Scout from B&H Photo (listed as Open Box, with full warranty) for $175 but it didn't come with a tape switch, so I need to pick one up for it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 7:51:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By dalynchmob:
First picture I've taken with my new Scout Light, sweet corn as a background

http://i64.tinypic.com/r9pftf.jpg

I got the Scout from B&H Photo (listed as Open Box, with full warranty) for $175 but it didn't come with a tape switch, so I need to pick one up for it.
View Quote
Mmmmmmm good old Iowa sweet corn. I miss walking across the road and picking my own.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By SilkyJohnson:

Exceptionally clear glass.  I'm looking heavily at replacing my EXPS/3x with that.
View Quote
I have not shot it with this set up but man it's so flipping nice.

I think it blows the elcan away as far as focus. If you follow the directions on how to set the focus it really works well. I set it on 3.5x and set the focus. I do lot get the blur @6 or through the mag range.

I'm thinking another one on my mk18??????????
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By SemperFortis202:

View Quote
I don't know if I would on a FSP build. When i put on my 1.5 the sight is like on your nose??????
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:20:34 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote
I use a Silencerco tool or my old snap-on thin wrench set??
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By HARMS4X:
I don't know if I would on a FSP build. When i put on my 1.5 the sight is like on your nose??????
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HARMS4X:

My FSP block 2 has always had an LVPO or an Acog, I never really notice the FSP maybe it's cause of being used to it from my time in the military.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#46]
I have finally decided its past time to start my M4A1 build which I have been wanting to do for several years.  Over the past couple weeks I have started collecting the following parts:

KAC  600 Micro BUIS
KAC 99051 Front BUIS
LMT GEN 1 SOPMOD Stock
Colt 14.5" SOCOM Barrel
Surefire SF3P
CQD Sling Mounts
Magpul AFG

Currently working on a DD M4A1 RIS II.  One thing has become apparent, this gets expensive quickly and some parts are impossible to find now.  Given that, I am looking for some suggestions on a weapons light.  I was thinking about the Surefire Scout but which model in appropriate for use?  Is there a different light I should be looking at?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Shifterkart:
I have finally decided its past time to start my M4A1 build which I have been wanting to do for several years.  Over the past couple weeks I have started collecting the following parts:

KAC  600 Micro BUIS
KAC 99051 Front BUIS
LMT GEN 1 SOPMOD Stock
Colt 14.5" SOCOM Barrel
Surefire SF3P
CQD Sling Mounts
Magpul AFG

Currently working on a DD M4A1 RIS II.  One thing has become apparent, this gets expensive quickly and some parts are impossible to find now.  Given that, I am looking for some suggestions on a weapons light.  I was thinking about the Surefire Scout but which model in appropriate for use?  Is there a different light I should be looking at?
View Quote
just go with the scout, at this point the wmx200 is impossible to find and people are selling them at like over 1000
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:40:44 AM EDT
[#48]

just go with the scout, at this point the wmx200 is impossible to find and people are selling them at like over 1000
View Quote
Thanks the more I learn the more questions I seem to have. I am thinking of White/IR light, would the M600V or M600V AA be more appropriate or does it matter?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Thanks the more I learn the more questions I seem to have. I am thinking of White/IR light, would the M600V or M600V AA be more appropriate or does it matter?
View All Quotes

M620V or M600V CR123.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:00:29 AM EDT
[#50]

KAC  600 Micro BUIS
KAC 99051 Front BUIS
LMT GEN 1 SOPMOD Stock
Colt 14.5" SOCOM Barrel
Surefire SF3P
CQD Sling Mounts
Magpul AFG

View Quote
600m micro isn't really correct, a Matech or 300m full size would be.
Page / 912
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top