AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 911
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 9:14:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TigerHawk] [#1]
Dupe.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 9:22:07 PM EDT
[#2]
RIS II FSP for $300, I ended up picking one up so I know the seller is legit.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/738721083
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#3]
bump
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 9:32:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By henryfrank:
I'm trying to collect some more opinions on Eotechs being run currently. Are people still running the original FDE Eotech 553s?
View Quote
I'm about to pick up another tan EXPS3-0. That's what I would recommend. If you're stuck on the 553, there's a couple, including a brand new tan one, for sale in the EE right now.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/EOTech-553-FDE/23-1728847/
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 9:34:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TigerHawk:

View Quote
Good deal. Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Added a FDE stock

Link Posted: 1/14/2018 11:44:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TigerHawk:

View Quote
It's funny now that the Geissele Upper is about to hit the streets how many of these fucking things there are all of a sudden lol........  Two years ago I bought one for $225 then BOOM they hit $600 and are now back to $300-350
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 871JZ:

I'm about to pick up another tan EXPS3-0. That's what I would recommend. If you're stuck on the 553, there's a couple, including a brand new tan one, for sale in the EE right now.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/EOTech-553-FDE/23-1728847/
View Quote
Thanks for the link man. I actually have one already that I got for my build so don't need another. I just want to see if it would be at home on a modern build, or whether I should plan to get older versions of some of the other parts to be more correct. If they are still being run places, it will be a modern build.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 2:52:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#9]
Originally Posted By GoRebels:

It's funny now that the Geissele Upper is about to hit the streets how many of these fucking things there are all of a sudden lol........  Two years ago I bought one for $225 then BOOM they hit $600 and are now back to $300-350
View Quote
I noticed that, too. Lots of Block II uppers and RIS II's popping up lately. What I don't get is guys getting rid of Block II stuff to build a B3. Just build another whole gun or upper and continue the collection. That's what I normally do, also the reason why I have so many AR's. I guess some guys don't want a bunch of guns, though, so I guess there's my answer.

Thanks for the link man. I actually have one already that I got for my build so don't need another. I just want to see if it would be at home on a modern build, or whether I should plan to get older versions of some of the other parts to be more correct. If they are still being run places, it will be a modern build.
View Quote
No problem.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 6:00:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gatordev] [#10]

Designed it to be run what way? Canted like that? I disagree.

Surefire designed the Warcomp to be timed with the SF logo at 12:00 and the index lug at 6:00, with the OPTION of neutral or left hand timing if you're not a right handed shooter or if you don't want to take advantage of the right hand bias built into the device.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Surefire designed the Warcomp to be timed with the SF logo at 12:00 and the index lug at 6:00, with the OPTION of neutral or left hand timing if you're not a right handed shooter or if you don't want to take advantage of the right hand bias built into the device.
Not quite.  SF states in their flipper book that you can time it any direction you want (left, neutral, or right-biased).  The position of the logo or the suppressor index doesn't matter for function.  Operationally, this is completely true.  I run my Warcomp neutral on my 416 and it works just fine with a suppressor (or not).

Personally, I don't like the right-hand biased position because it does weird things compared to "normal" gas ports, or especially if you shoot weak side.

But I fear we're running into semantics here..."designed" versus "option."

When I said the 3P doesn't require timing, I meant that it has no ports like the Warcomp, so naturally it would be installed one way, which is straight up and down. SF logo at 12:00 and index lug at 6:00. Unless you want your can's release lever in a certain location, why would you time it any other way? I've only ever seen 3/4 prongs timed straight up and down, and that's the way I've always done it. I believe it was designed to be timed to 12:00. This puts the logo up top, the index lug at the bottom, and also keeps one of the tines dead at the 6:00 position, which minimizes dust signature when firing prone. These same things apply to the Warcomp, as well, and work great for the majority of shooters who are right handed. This all seems like common sense stuff to me regarding the design and installation of SF flash hiders.
I think we're arguing the same points from opposite directions.  I also think you're worrying way too much about the logo position (spoiler alert, the logo isn't printed exactly top dead center, especially on their legacy mounts).  That said, I don't care where the logo or the suppressor lock ends up as long as the mount is working for me.  I do agree that on a SF3P, that putting the lower tine at the 6 o'clock is the least objectionable.  But for function, it matters not.

Buuuut, when I said timed, that's exactly what I meant.  If it has "only" one position, as per the God of Surefire, and that's suppressor lug at 6 o'clock, it still has to be timed to get there.  It doesn't just screw on and magically land there.  That's all I was saying.

ETA: Don't take my posts as me being a dick. I just find it interesting to have a friendly disagreement on topics that interest me.
NOT AT ALL!  I think the conversation would be perceived differently if in person.  So goes the age of the internet.  Like I said, I think we're just stating our opinions from different perspectives, and the written word gets in the way.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 6:03:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gatordev] [#11]

Me, too. Just saw it and never knew about it.

ETA: Am I reading the barrel markings right? I think I am. What's with the Colt style markings? MPC??

"CMMG MPC 5.56 NATO 1/7"
View Quote
Because glitch...  Nevermind...browser issue.

"MPC" means "Magentic Particle testing"/"Colt"

"MP" by itself =/= Colt, but MPC is typically found on their products...at least until recently.

Beyond that, I can't comment (due to ignorance) on whether a CMMG bolt is a contracted Colt bolt.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 8:33:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#12]
Originally Posted By gatordev:
Not quite.  SF states in their flipper book that you can time it any direction you want (left, neutral, or right-biased).  The position of the logo or the suppressor index doesn't matter for function.  Operationally, this is completely true.  I run my Warcomp neutral on my 416 and it works just fine with a suppressor (or not).

Personally, I don't like the right-hand biased position because it does weird things compared to "normal" gas ports, or especially if you shoot weak side.

I think we're arguing the same points from opposite directions.  I also think you're worrying way too much about the logo position (spoiler alert, the logo isn't printed exactly top dead center, especially on their legacy mounts).  That said, I don't care where the logo or the suppressor lock ends up as long as the mount is working for me.  I do agree that on a SF3P, that putting the lower tine at the 6 o'clock is the least objectionable.  But for function, it matters not.

Buuuut, when I said timed, that's exactly what I meant.  If it has "only" one position, as per the God of Surefire, and that's suppressor lug at 6 o'clock, it still has to be timed to get there.  It doesn't just screw on and magically land there.  That's all I was saying.

NOT AT ALL!  I think the conversation would be perceived differently if in person.  So goes the age of the internet.  Like I said, I think we're just stating our opinions from different perspectives, and the written word gets in the way.
View All Quotes

When I said the 3P doesn't require timing, I meant that it has no ports like the Warcomp, so naturally it would be installed one way, which is straight up and down. SF logo at 12:00 and index lug at 6:00. Unless you want your can's release lever in a certain location, why would you time it any other way? I've only ever seen 3/4 prongs timed straight up and down, and that's the way I've always done it. I believe it was designed to be timed to 12:00. This puts the logo up top, the index lug at the bottom, and also keeps one of the tines dead at the 6:00 position, which minimizes dust signature when firing prone. These same things apply to the Warcomp, as well, and work great for the majority of shooters who are right handed. This all seems like common sense stuff to me regarding the design and installation of SF flash hiders.

ETA: Don't take my posts as me being a dick. I just find it interesting to have a friendly disagreement on topics that interest me.
I agree that we're both in line with one another, but I disagree on the SF logo not being at top dead center. My old legacy MB556 logo's are off center like you mentioned, also with asymmetrical top ports, but all my newer SF3P's have the logo exactly at the 12:00 position when the index lug is at 6:00. Unless I'm blind.

I can't comment on my Warcomp's since they have writing that goes all the way around the base of the device, without an actual logo.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 8:34:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#13]

"MP" by itself =/= Colt, but MPC is typically found on their products...at least until recently.

Beyond that, I can't comment (due to ignorance) on whether a CMMG bolt is a contracted Colt bolt.
View All Quotes

Me, too. Just saw it and never knew about it.

ETA: Am I reading the barrel markings right? I think I am. What's with the Colt style markings? MPC??

"CMMG MPC 5.56 NATO 1/7"

This CMMG SOCOM barrel is the first I've ever seen a non-Colt barrel marked "MPC". I've seen "MP" on just about everything, but I've never seen another manufacturer mark it's barrel "MPC".
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Is that CMMG barrel chrome lined?  That may be where that "C" comes from.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 8:59:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#15]
Originally Posted By GHPorter:
Is that CMMG barrel chrome lined?  That may be where that "C" comes from.
View Quote
It is chrome-lined, but I don't think any of their other chrome-lined barrels are marked this way? Only their SOCOM barrel as far as I know.

I know BCM also makes one, but it seems unusual to me that CMMG would produce a barrel that is traditionally associated with Colt (14.5" SOCOM), then mark it in a way that is also traditionally associated with Colt. Especially after learning that there is, or was, some relationship between Colt and CMMG regarding barrels and/or barrel components. I would find it equally unusual if BCM marked their SOCOM barrels with "MPC" instead of their normal "HP MP".
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 9:25:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#16]
Another thing I just found were some old posts from 2007 and 2010 on TOS about the CMMG M4A1 barrels. The '07 posts were asking guys to post pics of their CMMG SOCOM barrels and the '10 posts were from guys saying they wished CMMG still made them.

So that means they were making them as early as 2007, likely earlier judging by the posts, and quit before 2010. How high was the commercial demand back in '07 and earlier for M4A1 barrels? Was it more or less than it is today, in 2018? Unless CMMG was under contract to produce them, I don't see why they would've made them for a few years and then quit before they started getting really popular?
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 12:42:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Can somebody tell me what model light is this?
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 12:48:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By billytehbob:

Yeah, I’d do it to preserve my sanity, but it’s no biggie since I’ll be running a Micro RDS anyway.

I’ll give that a shot since I can get an H2 from down the road, maybe I can find a stiffer spring there, too.

And maybe, but I do like being a part of the cooler kids club with my less effective FH
View Quote

Can someone tell me what model light this is?
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 1:36:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By russtay:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4734/27549700169_a25f711da0_o.jpg

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By billytehbob:

Yeah, I’d do it to preserve my sanity, but it’s no biggie since I’ll be running a Micro RDS anyway.

I’ll give that a shot since I can get an H2 from down the road, maybe I can find a stiffer spring there, too.

And maybe, but I do like being a part of the cooler kids club with my less effective FH

Surefire M952V
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

Yeah, it's over 1/2 lb lighter than the SOCOM barrel.

Maybe 14.5" M4 barrels are getting harder to find since the Army switched to the SOCOM barrel. It just seems that there would be people willing to do that trade.
View Quote
Half a pound lighter? I knew that my BCM SOCOM barrel was heavier, but I never bothered to weigh it. Add my old M951 light and suppressor, it's no wonder my AR is a little front-heavy.

Link Posted: 1/17/2018 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:
The fsb holes can be reamed oversized and 3/0 taper pins installed.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:
Originally Posted By tonyxcom:
The documentation that comes with the Warcomp says it can be timed neutral or to favor lefties.

Edit, just says for "Left handed use", nothing about neutral timing.
That's what I thought.

Originally Posted By 5pt56:

Complete URGI $1379
URGI minis the BCG, CH, and FH $979

From brownells:
Brownells offers two different models of the USASOC URGI, a stripped model and a complete model.

The URGI stripped upper receiver group does not include a bolt carrier group, charging handle, or muzzle device.
Makes more sense to buy it stripped and finish it off yourself, especially if you're like me and already have the necessary parts laying around. Even if you don't, you can still finish it off for less than the $400 you'll save over buying it complete.

Still don't think I'm gonna pay $1k for the rail, barrel, and upper. I'll wait until a rail pops up in the EE and build it myself.

Originally Posted By DoubleTap556:

That's good to hear and makes me feel better about it.

I'll prob just roll w/ it spray paint it or something so it doesn't look like a blind man hand carved it.

If anyone has a proper Colt Socom FSB that's F marked just sitting around, feel free to IM me and I'll buy it off you.

Thanks for the help, fellas.
I just sold one off my SOCOM barrel.

Keep an eye out on the EE, doesn't have to be off a SOCOM barrel. Any .750" diameter FSB will fit the barrel, but they're supposed to be drilled to match. If it bothers you that much, contact ADCO and see if there's anything they can do with a barrel that's already been drilled for a FSB, but that needs a replacement installed.
The fsb holes can be reamed oversized and 3/0 taper pins installed.
There's an option. Whenever I remove a fixed FSB in favor of a low profile gas block, I also keep it. I've had a couple that I ended up swapping back after a bit.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 5:55:14 PM EDT
[#23]
So still cant decide, NT4 or SOCOM can on my non FSP build? I already have a 4P on my FSB but need a reason to use the NT4 more...
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 6:08:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ckopp636] [#24]
I like the looks of the surefire mounts and how well they hide flash. My only question of them would be durability if the muzzle were to smack something real hard or get a bunch of pressure put on it.

I have an upper coming from brownells that I had intended on just using the rail from, but now im kinda wondering if I should just use the DD mid 16" and not worry about a "clone" barrel. I imagine it will shoot good. I have a pinned colt socom on my block 1 build.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote
Thats my gun and pic, and Milspec is correct m952v.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By aaron580:
So still cant decide, NT4 or SOCOM can on my non FSP build? I already have a 4P on my FSB but need a reason to use the NT4 more...
View Quote
I had this question when I was deciding on my parts list for my FSP build.  Somewhere I remember seeing that only one branch of socom used a nt4 on a FSP block 2, and I believe it was the raiders, that's one reason why I went with my 4 prong on my build.  Thats just from memory though, so it may be complete gibberish...  
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Ironhandjohn:
Half a pound lighter? I knew that my BCM SOCOM barrel was heavier, but I never bothered to weigh it. Add my old M951 light and suppressor, it's no wonder my AR is a little front-heavy.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ironhandjohn:

Yeah, it's over 1/2 lb lighter than the SOCOM barrel.

Maybe 14.5" M4 barrels are getting harder to find since the Army switched to the SOCOM barrel. It just seems that there would be people willing to do that trade.

The RIS II isn't a lightweight either at nearly 18 oz.

That's one good thing about the new URG-I. The barrel is about 5 oz lighter than the SOCOM barrel and the rail is probably 4 oz lighter. They will probably make up for it with a heavier optic though.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By aaron580:
View Quote
I'd say depends mostly on the time period you are cloning. Early URG- NT4 with 553, M3X, and other early items. Late URG- RC with EXPS, WMX, and other late items. The biggest exception would be MARSOC I believe who still use NT4s with whatever other accessories they are using.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#29]

I'd say depends mostly on the time period you are cloning. Early URG- NT4 with 553, M3X, and other early items. Late URG- RC with EXPS, WMX, and other late items. The biggest exception would be MARSOC I believe who still use NT4s with whatever other accessories they are using.
View Quote
I guess I'll just go with my warcomp since I'm gonna be that dude using a razor just because reasons. Though, I'm still looking through MARSOC pictures to see what I can find as issued stuff. In the future, the razor will probably be moved the the URG 1, which I may just break the internet and throw an NT4 on
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 1:57:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: henryfrank] [#30]

View Quote
Pezboytate, would you happen to know if fde 553s are still run on any of the most current gen, dark-railed ris non fsps Block IIs? I'm kinda stuck figuring out the best parts until I can figure out how to build around what I already have. Anyone else providing input is still very much appreciated too. :)
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 3:01:41 AM EDT
[#31]

Pezboytate, would you happen to know if fde 553s are still run on any of the most current gen, dark-railed ris non fsps Block IIs? I'm kinda stuck figuring out the best parts until I can figure out how to build around what I already have. Anyone else providing input is still very much appreciated too. :)
View Quote
Ivan,

Remember a clone can be want is currently carried or has been during a specific time period.

CD
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes

See the pics above. Older things being used on newer guns is always possible but things that didn't exist yet would never be used on older guns if that makes sense. A 2008 Block II URG with an NT4 wouldn't have an EXPS on it but a 2014 Block II URG with an RC could have a 553.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:32:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: henryfrank] [#33]
Now that is awesome! Thanks so much for the pics CD, you the best. Thanks too for the note Pez, makes sense to me! Looks like my clone will look just fine. :)

Ps. What are those charging handles on the ones in the box with the most guns? I'm also surprised all the rear sights appear to be Matechs with no Kac rears.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:49:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#34]

That's one good thing about the new URG-I. The barrel is about 5 oz lighter than the SOCOM barrel and the rail is probably 4 oz lighter. They will probably make up for it with a heavier optic though.
View Quote
@pezboytate

What barrels are being used on the new URGI's? I've been wanting to know, but haven't looked into it yet.

Don't tell me it's a Gov't or M4 profile. I much prefer the SOCOM profile to either of those. I like them so much that I use SOCOM barrels on almost all my AR's.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:36:11 PM EDT
[#35]
@pezboytate

What barrels are being used on the new URGI's? I've been wanting to know, but haven't looked into it yet.

Don't tell me it's a Gov't or M4 profile. I much prefer the SOCOM profile to either of those. I like them so much that I use SOCOM barrels on almost all my AR's.
View All Quotes

@pezboytate

Drumroll please...

Govt profile. It's even more pointless on the URG-I than the SOPMOD Block I M4A1and MWS M4/M4A1 since they don't have the M203 mounting requirement.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Now that is awesome! Thanks so much for the pics CD, you the best. Thanks too for the note Pez, makes sense to me! Looks like my clone will look just fine. :)

Ps. What are those charging handles on the ones in the box with the most guns? I'm also surprised all the rear sights appear to be Matechs with no Kac rears.
View Quote
Those Raptor Charging Handles were bought with state funds for a National Guard ODA. (want to say 19th).  Normal USGI CH or PRI Gas Buster CH is the other SOCOM produced one.  Just got 10 more PRI in this week.  While the KAC are issued with the uppers, they do get removed.  Matechs are a Army issue so always in the supply chain.  I have both too.

CD
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 6:29:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#37]
Drumroll please...

Govt profile. It's even more pointless on the URG-I than the SOPMOD Block I M4A1and MWS M4/M4A1 since they don't have the M203 mounting requirement.
View All Quotes

@pezboytate

Drumroll please...

What the hell do they see in Gov't profile barrels? I don't see any advantage to them. Poor choice. At least they were smart enough to stay with a 14.5" barrel and go mid-length gas.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 7:01:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: henryfrank] [#38]

What the hell do they see in Gov't profile barrels? I don't see any advantage to them. Poor choice. At least they were smart enough to stay with a 14.5" barrel and go mid-length gas.
View Quote
It says "govt" therefore they must buy it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 7:21:03 PM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes

@pezboytate

Drumroll please...

My guess is:

1. It's what they are used to and/or

2. It was available COTS

They could have went constant taper barrel instead.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#40]
My DD upper from brownells arrived today. I ordered with intent of parting it out and keeping the rail, but now im not sure if I should just keep this nice DD barrel or swap for a Colt. decisions decisions. If I do swap for a colt socom, Im not sure which flash hider to use either. Id say 3 prong but how durable are those in the long run?

terrible cell phone pic
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 8:24:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Form 4 sent today

Link Posted: 1/18/2018 8:42:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#42]

My guess is:

1. It's what they are used to and/or

2. It was available COTS

They could have went constant taper barrel instead.
View Quote
Constant taper would have been a much better alternative. If you think about it, a constantly tapering profile actually makes sense. Gov't profile? Not so much. Thin under handguards and thick past gas port is ass backwards.

Originally Posted By ckopp636:
My DD upper from brownells arrived today. I ordered with intent of parting it out and keeping the rail, but now im not sure if I should just keep this nice DD barrel or swap for a Colt. decisions decisions. If I do swap for a colt socom, Im not sure which flash hider to use either. Id say 3 prong but how durable are those in the long run?

terrible cell phone pic
https://i.imgur.com/XN6WQ5T.jpg
View Quote
Nice! I would definitely get the Colt barrel.

And I'm not sure what you mean by how durable are SF3P's in the long run. It can be argued that the 3P is actually better/more effective all around than the 4P. At any rate, there are no durability issues with either.

Originally Posted By dalynchmob:
Form 4 sent today

http://i68.tinypic.com/2rzevi9.jpg
View Quote
Nice.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 8:53:24 PM EDT
[#43]
@Combat_Diver

I think it was you who mentioned the early showing of 12 Strong? I looked through like 15 pages and said screw it.

Anyhow....I will give you 1 guess where I am right now

Looking forward and hoping all the B1's and whatnot are accurate!!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 9:04:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ckopp636] [#44]

And I'm not sure what you mean by how durable are SF3P's in the long run. It can be argued that the 3P is actually better/more effective all around than the 4P. At any rate, there are no durability issues with either.

Nice.
View Quote
By how durable, I mean how sturdy the prongs are in the unlikely scenario of if they were to take a good smack into a rock or something hard. Id only use one if I went 14.5 because i think it would look too long on the 16".
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:54:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By 5pt56:
@Combat_Diver

I think it was you who mentioned the early showing of 12 Strong? I looked through like 15 pages and said screw it.

Anyhow....I will give you 1 guess where I am right now

Looking forward and hoping all the B1's and whatnot are accurate!!!
View Quote
Under the Block I thread.  Hope you enjoyed the movie.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/M4-SOPMOD-Picture-Thread-Block-I-1-5-PR-II-/118-610057/?page=103

CD
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 12:06:48 AM EDT
[#46]
By how durable, I mean how sturdy the prongs are in the unlikely scenario of if they were to take a good smack into a rock or something hard. Id only use one if I went 14.5 because i think it would look too long on the 16".
View All Quotes

Nice.
Short of an oxy acetalyne torch I don't think you could break one if you tried. They're solid as hell
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 12:11:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

Under the Block I thread.  Hope you enjoyed the movie.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/M4-SOPMOD-Picture-Thread-Block-I-1-5-PR-II-/118-610057/?page=103

CD
View Quote
Well shit...it would have helped to be in the right thread!

And sure did, other than wishing I could have hit pause, I think my proudest moment was when my son pointed out a Lee Enfield the moment it was on the screen.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 12:28:18 AM EDT
[#48]

Constant taper would have been a much better alternative. If you think about it, a constantly tapering profile actually makes sense. Gov't profile? Not so much. Thin under handguards and thick past gas port is ass backwards.

Nice.
View Quote
Yet a lot of people say that a LW barrel is all you need.   I mean you can't have it all.  A govt' profile is light.  Well, it's lighter than a socom profile or HBAR.  That's the upside.  Once you start adding all that stuff on the front (lights, lasers, vfg's, etc), those ounces might mean something to certain people.

I get that there may be a slight change in balance for the better if the weight is towards the back.  But whenever I've fondled an M4gery with a govt' profile, even a 16" 6920 feels very light in the front with just the stock handguards. Very light.  I don't think it would make much difference if you reprofiled it and it ended up being the same weight as it is now.

Out of the 3 I have my favorite handling rifle is my 20" A2 govt' profile.  It just works for me.  Of course I don't have any stuff hanging off the front of it either.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 1:36:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#49]

View Quote
The 3P's aren't gonna break. The 4P's are issued and they aren't as strong as the 3P's if that tells you anything.

Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

Short of an oxy acetalyne torch I don't think you could break one if you tried. They're solid as hell
View Quote
This. No worries.

Originally Posted By JJREA:

Yet a lot of people say that a LW barrel is all you need.   I mean you can't have it all.  A govt' profile is light.  Well, it's lighter than a socom profile or HBAR.  That's the upside.  Once you start adding all that stuff on the front (lights, lasers, vfg's, etc), those ounces might mean something to certain people.

I get that there may be a slight change in balance for the better if the weight is towards the back.  But whenever I've fondled an M4gery with a govt' profile, even a 16" 6920 feels very light in the front with just the stock handguards. Very light.  I don't think it would make much difference if you reprofiled it and it ended up being the same weight as it is now.

Out of the 3 I have my favorite handling rifle is my 20" A2 govt' profile.  It just works for me.  Of course I don't have any stuff hanging off the front of it either.  
View Quote
@JJREA

I think you're misunderstanding why I dislike the Gov't profile. I don't dislike it because of its weight or the way it balances. Like you said, a 6920 balances great, right? Well, it would be even better with more of the weight towards the center of the gun instead of out at the end of the barrel. IMO, you actually CAN have it all in a barrel if you pick wisely.

I dislike Gov't profile because it doesn't make any sense. Having a thinner profile under the handguards and a thicker profile out front of the gas port is the opposite of what makes sense from and accuracy and durability standpoint. Especially for a select-fire weapon. There's a reason why they went to the SOCOM profile barrels in the first place. There's also a reason why they're so accurate and durable. In my opinion, as well as others here, going from the SOCOM to the Gov't profile was a step backwards. Obviously, with the longer gas system a different choice in barrel profile was necessary, but as @pezboytate said, a constant taper barrel would've been great. Gov't profile took us two steps back.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#50]

Nobody wants my TA33, so I’m stuck with the PA MDS for now, but I do want that sweet sweet XPS 3. Thinking of changing the MOE grip out for a standard A2 grip.
Page / 911
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top