Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#2]
glitch
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#3]
x2
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#4]
If freezing the barrel and heating the shit out of the block still won't let you get it on, then you can use a $10 brake cylinder hone in a drill and open the inside diameter of the block up a couple/few thousandths. Any decent auto parts store will have the hone. A few minutes with this and the block will go right on. Just don't open it up too much because the tighter the block to barrel fit, the better. Prevents gas leakage, that's why KAC Mod 1 uppers had press fit blocks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:
@AR_Marv

Your non F marked fsb....what forge casting is on it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AR_Marv:
Just an update regarding the Colt 14.5" barrels from Brownells. I received mine today and it did not have a "F" marked FSB. Though I did measure it and it was exactly 1.980" so it is the correct height for a flat top upper just not marked as such.
@AR_Marv

I believe there's no cast markings on the new ones. At least the ones I've seen. Just a super rough finish with all kinds of......yeah. Ill find you the pic from a few pages back
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:00:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DoubleTap556:
Ok guys my colt 14.5" barrel came in today. The fsb is rough, and I mean rough. I've never seen a finish like this one has. And it's not "f" marked. Also there's a nick in the barrel itself, its cosmetic but still. Is colt shipping these without F marked FSBs now? Would you keep this or send it back?  Sorry if this shouldn't be asked here but you guys have been helpful so far in my block ii build and value your advice.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/155739/IMG_0185-413069.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/155739/IMG_0186-413070.JPG
View Quote
@tigwelder1971
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks man.

Im curious about the far side?

Wondering if Colt is sourcing elsewhere?

All of mine have the same forge code/mark.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:
Originally Posted By DoubleTap556:
Ok guys my colt 14.5" barrel came in today. The fsb is rough, and I mean rough. I've never seen a finish like this one has. And it's not "f" marked. Also there's a nick in the barrel itself, its cosmetic but still. Is colt shipping these without F marked FSBs now? Would you keep this or send it back?  Sorry if this shouldn't be asked here but you guys have been helpful so far in my block ii build and value your advice.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/155739/IMG_0185-413069.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/155739/IMG_0186-413070.JPG
@tigwelder1971
Thanks man.

Im curious about the far side?

Wondering if Colt is sourcing elsewhere?

All of mine have the same forge code/mark.
Yep all of mine are and have been like yours too. I think they found some cheap ass FSBs or decided to make rougher FSBs to cost cut personally. I'm not 100 percent positive but I'm thinking the other side is bare of markings too from what I've heard. Thing pretty much sounds like a turd compared to what we've always used

Way to go Colt!
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:35:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR_Marv] [#10]

@AR_Marv

View Quote
Appears to be marked <B>1 on the right side. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

ETA: date stamp is 10/17
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Agreed.

The casting itself looks shitty and almost painted black.

Not at all what I am used to from Colt.
View All Quotes

Yep all of mine are and have been like yours too. I think they found some cheap ass FSBs or decided to make rougher FSBs to cost cut personally. I'm not 100 percent positive but I'm thinking the other side is bare of markings too from what I've heard. Thing pretty much sounds like a turd compared to what we've always used

Way to go Colt!
Agreed.

The casting itself looks shitty and almost painted black.

Not at all what I am used to from Colt.
My current 3. 2 came off 14.5" Colt SOCOM's (2008 produced and 2014 produced, the barrel pictured and Stealthguy's new barrel) and 1 came off a Colt govt profile 10.3 (Might've started out its life as 14.5 or 16" (2015 produced) that Stealth sent me for the SOCOM

Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#12]
View All Quotes

@AR_Marv

Appears to be marked <B>1 on the right side. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/465788/40285D64-F3D5-479D-8883-6B443B0EAB9F-436062.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/465788/99F1AAB2-AA9D-4BFD-96E5-552ED76E5B26-436065.JPG

ETA: date stamp is 10/17
Interesting. Same company as before. I wonder if doubletap's matches yours too
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I guess one of us could inquire with Colt and ask why they're not currently being marked.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 8:39:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ckopp636] [#16]
Originally Posted By 871JZ:
I guess one of us could inquire with Colt and ask why they're not currently being marked.
View Quote
Pretty sure in the m16a4 thread somebody contacted Colt and they were informed that they got new machines and the machines no longer mark the "F" because all their bases are the same. I think they have one machine left that is capable of stamping the F if I remember correctly

Edit. Do not quote me on this though because I am not certain
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 8:42:56 PM EDT
[#17]
What color stocks are people using? The B5 FDE seems that it may be too light colored and the coyote may have an orange tint to it. LMT fde is far over priced and hard to come by so at this rate, Ill probably stick with plain ole black. I sure wish i hadnt sold my sopmod for sixty bucks a couple months ago
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 8:56:23 PM EDT
[#18]
How did everyone heat up their MK12 blocks before hammering them on?
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:
View Quote
Propane torch would be cheapest/most efficient. Get an oven mitt and maybe hold onto the gas tube or something. Let StevieJ comment first too in case he found a better method.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I just used a propane torch since I had one handy. I know people recommend MAPP gas torches, but I think that's a little overkill.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ARogueNinja:
The only person I've ever even known to have a GL/SSC is Stickman...
View All Quotes
The only person I've ever even known to have a GL/SSC is Stickman...
Yeah, but that wasn't really my question.  I was trying to see if anyone had operational pics.  Again, given who may have bought them, it's understandable there aren't pics.  But really, should some rails come available, I have to believe there would be some small pool of demand.  Hypothetically, of course.

I'm with you there bro. I can only remember seeing an SU-230 topped with Docter and MRDS (EO) though. But I love the dual illum RMR. (Except looking from dark into light areas)

Changing batteries (losing zero) on most mini red dots is just fucking annoying.
None of my "clones" are completely clone because I find things that work better for me.  Life goes on.  I get the RMR isn't a "clone thing," but it's sure a hell of a lot easier for me to use than the Dr.

Link Posted: 1/30/2018 9:30:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ckopp636:
What color stocks are people using? The B5 FDE seems that it may be too light colored and the coyote may have an orange tint to it. LMT fde is far over priced and hard to come by so at this rate, Ill probably stick with plain ole black. I sure wish i hadnt sold my sopmod for sixty bucks a couple months ago
View Quote
B5 in Coyote is the color you seek.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote
Crank the oven all the way up and throw it in. If you don't care if you affect the finish a little bit, a MAPP or Propane torch will work.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 9:47:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By gatordev:

Yeah, but that wasn't really my question.  I was trying to see if anyone had operational pics.  Again, given who may have bought them, it's understandable there aren't pics.  But really, should some rails come available, I have to believe there would be some small pool of demand.  Hypothetically, of course.

None of my "clones" are completely clone because I find things that work better for me.  Life goes on.  I get the RMR isn't a "clone thing," but it's sure a hell of a lot easier for me to use than the Dr.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4421/35839846384_3e890f3158_b.jpg
View Quote
I answered about Stickman the way i did, and as others have pointed out that only a couple of other people are they only ones that have them because they've never actually ever been seen in the wild.... It appears that the GL/SSC was only an experimental rail for the block 2 trials and was never purchased or offered outside of that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Propane torch it is. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:11:29 PM EDT
[#26]

I think Jodie Foster still is hot. (ill be 29 in March)

@Stealthguy dude honestly I would take it to a shop with a hydraulic press or send to ADCO for install. The heat trick might not even work so, it might be best to pay to make it somebody else's problem. Plus Steve at ADCO does this for a living. Just remember to put the RIS II barrel nut on first if you do
View Quote
Now if I could just find a picture of her shooting a block II.......

Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:13:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Propane torch it is. Thanks.
View Quote
The majority of the time a heat gun and oil will slip it on perfectly.  Some folks use hair dryers: I have a heat gun so I've never used a hair dryer myself.  The aforementioned FSB's are definitely real Colt forge but the aesthetics are below what I'm used to seeing from Colt Defense.  They are doing another attempt to reorganize the company who knows what's in store?  Sadly the 1911 folks have been relocated and many terminated from what I have heard.  Some of the best of the group got the boot.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Installed my colt socom barrel today and got it boxed up to send to adco to get the sf3p pinned and welded. Appears the fsb is canted. Bayonet and sling mount are not centered in the rail. It’s really close on one side. I can still fit a piece of paper between the rail and fsb but it’s closer than I’d like. What do you guys think?

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 7:32:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Installed my colt socom barrel today and got it boxed up to send to adco to get the sf3p pinned and welded. Appears the fsb is canted. Bayonet and sling mount are not centered in the rail. It’s really close on one side. I can still fit a piece of paper between the rail and fsb but it’s closer than I’d like. What do you guys think?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/465788/7F8A8459-BDC3-4D1B-BB9C-E83C275BEDDA-437337.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/465788/8DA7B662-E139-4F3B-99F4-21EE02961FBA-437338.JPG
View Quote
Is the FSB canted or the handguard? The top rail may be generally lined up but the rail can be twisted to one side or tilting to one side.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:
Is the FSB canted or the handguard? The top rail may be generally lined up but the rail can be twisted to one side or tilting to one side.
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/465788/7F8A8459-BDC3-4D1B-BB9C-E83C275BEDDA-437337.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/465788/8DA7B662-E139-4F3B-99F4-21EE02961FBA-437338.JPG
The top of the rail lined up perfect with the upper. Looking down the upper at the fsb the top of it appears to be canted to the right which would make the bottom of it closer to left side of the gun (looking from the butt end). Something to worry about?
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#31]
The top of the rail lined up perfect with the upper. Looking down the upper at the fsb the top of it appears to be canted to the right which would make the bottom of it closer to left side of the gun (looking from the butt end). Something to worry about?
View All Quotes

If you look at the bottom where the rail meets the receiver, does everything look centered? I wouldn't be happy with that but since it's a SOCOM barrel it probably won't touch the rail while firing.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#32]
If you look at the bottom where the rail meets the receiver, does everything look centered? I wouldn't be happy with that but since it's a SOCOM barrel it probably won't touch the rail while firing.
View All Quotes

I didn't look at the lower section that close, I'll have to see what I can do after I get it back from Adco. When I installed the bottom section of the rail I kept the screws on the side that was close loose and tightened the screws on the opposite side first to try and draw the rail away but it didn't seem to help.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 8:40:34 PM EDT
[#33]
I didn't look at the lower section that close, I'll have to see what I can do after I get it back from Adco. When I installed the bottom section of the rail I kept the screws on the side that was close loose and tightened the screws on the opposite side first to try and draw the rail away but it didn't seem to help.
View All Quotes

When you get it back loosen the screws just enough that it will only move with a bit of force. Then you can use a rubber hammer or something to move it around. See if you can get it away from the one side a little more while still having the top rail lined up. Other than that, you can deal with it or get a new barrel.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 8:43:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FreefallRet] [#34]
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 7:10:36 PM EDT
[#35]

I answered about Stickman the way i did, and as others have pointed out that only a couple of other people are they only ones that have them because they've never actually ever been seen in the wild.... It appears that the GL/SSC was only an experimental rail for the block 2 trials and was never purchased or offered outside of that.
View Quote
No, I get that, and understandable.  I guess the big question is whether a GL/SSC is clone-correct (as defined here)...and if anyone cares.  I've seen some pics here and on the FB page and people get excited, but people get excited about a lot of things.  All that said, I do wish someone had managed to snap a picture at some point, but it seems they (rightfully so) are not posting.  An achievement in this day and age.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I didn’t know EOTech discontinued the MRDS.

Someone school me on Docter sights. What’s clone correct?
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 8:25:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#37]
I didn’t know EOTech discontinued the MRDS.

Someone school me on Docter sights. What’s clone correct?
View Quote
I've never seen that question actually get answered here. I'd just get the tan one with the bigger reticle since its for CQB. Doesn't really need the smaller more precise reticle. Bigger one would be quicker to pick up as well

ETA black would be fine too of course
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 11:34:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Southpaw19] [#38]
Sounds like a good time to bump my question from a few pages back then. I understand that Both Doctors and MRDS sights are correct in both black and tan, and I'm not picky in regards to reticle. So with all options being open, is there one sight that significantly outperforms the other? Or should I just grab whatever I find the cheapest first?

Last shot for this one as well. I picked up this offset mount for my B2 M4A1 upper and am having trouble finding any info on it. I know it is the same style as the Predator mounts and am assuming the logo engraved on it probably stands for Matt Burkett? I've never seen one with the two allen screw cross bolts and the solid "wings" to protect the red dot. I'm just wondering where this mount fits in the timeline of the different generations and if this style has ever been seen in use.

Link Posted: 2/1/2018 11:44:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Have a dr that came on my elcan. It's nothing fancy, it works and holds zero. 7 moa dot is fast to acquire. Only negative I have is that in low light situations when using a weapon light it will wash out at close ranges.

I will  most likely mount it to my krink when the stamp gets approved though.

no experience with the insight mrds
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:10:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ktow01] [#40]
https://imgur.com/a/nz4Bp

Been lurking for quite sometime now. Finally able to post pics. Here is my block II. This is an old pic. She now has an Acog ta31f.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Southpaw19:
Sounds like a good time to bump my question from a few pages back then. I understand that Both Doctors and MRDS sights are correct in both black and tan, and I'm not picky in regards to reticle. So with all options being open, is there one sight that significantly outperforms the other? Or should I just grab whatever I find the cheapest first?
View Quote
I have a Docter that's sitting on top of my safe, literally doing nothing.  It's yours for a very fair price.  I honestly can't remember if it's a 7 or 3.5 MOA.  Feel free to email me.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 8:47:58 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a Docter that's sitting on top of my safe, literally doing nothing.  It's yours for a very fair price.  I honestly can't remember if it's a 7 or 3.5 MOA.  Feel free to email me.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Southpaw19:
@Stealthguy
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 12:56:33 AM EDT
[#43]
I’m back in the clone game. First non fsp m4 upper.

Link Posted: 2/4/2018 8:01:13 AM EDT
[#44]
I’m back in the clone game. First non fsp m4 upper.

https://i.imgur.com/RNDokB4.jpg
View Quote
Real nice but lacks paint to match

CD
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:34:39 AM EDT
[#45]
I said I would post pictures of the finished product so here it is. It's not a 100% clone but it's exactly what I wanted (with the exception of the FH which we'll talk about later). I added the Magpul MBUS Pro sights because of their profile and they're made of metal, replaced the DD plastic ambi safety with a genuine Colt and a BFG Vickers Sling because they're my favorite and I have them on all my ARs.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The flash hider is the one that comes permanently pinned from Daniel Defense. My question to the group is who do you trust to remove and replace with a War Comp without damaging the barrel?
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#46]

Small update.  Got a T1 and ordered a close tine WarComp.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

CD
View Quote
It’s got that fresh rebarrel and hand guard look. Give me a couple of weeks and I’ll get bored and paint it.

Link Posted: 2/4/2018 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#49]
I would remove the rail and un-attach the upper and send it to ADCO to remove and add on the Warcomp.  It's not worth it to risk the rail and the upper if something gets lost in shipping.

Since you're not going for 100% clone correct, I would just leave on the DD pinned flash hider, though.

Nice stick, either way.

Originally Posted By M4arc:
I said I would post pictures of the finished product so here it is. It's not a 100% clone but it's exactly what I wanted (with the exception of the FH which we'll talk about later). I added the Magpul MBUS Pro sights because of their profile and they're made of metal, replaced the DD plastic ambi safety with a genuine Colt and a BFG Vickers Sling because they're my favorite and I have them on all my ARs.

The flash hider is the one that comes permanently pinned from Daniel Defense. My question to the group is who do you trust to remove and replace with a War Comp without damaging the barrel?
View Quote
]
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#50]
It’s got that fresh rebarrel and hand guard look. Give me a couple of weeks and I’ll get bored and paint it.

https://i.imgur.com/XQlsyyq.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG_0475_rz.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

CD

https://i.imgur.com/XQlsyyq.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG_0475_rz.jpg
Its crazy to see the difference in anodizing on the older and newer SU-230s. Haven't been seeing those older ones as much as I used to
Page / 911
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top