User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 913
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:21:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Scott-S6:
I might be being dense here but I can't figure out the purpose of the threaded hole on the top of the non-FSB rail. Anyone care to enlighten me?
View Quote

SOPMOD M203 leaf sight.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:31:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

Would still be wrong as semi and not full auto.  Some things just can't be done.  If you use a Colt M16A1 registered lower, still won't be 100% as now the markings are wrong.

CD
View Quote

A registered receiver could be welded, engraved, machined and refinished. Or an SoT could take a virgin receiver, engrave it correctly and drill the 3rd hole. It still wouldn't be the correct part but it would be mechanically correct and (almost) cosmetically correct.

It'd be good if the "this is a true clone and all others are false prophets" types could keep that in mind - we all have to decide what is "good enough" and make compromises to suit.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I might be being dense here but I can't figure out the purpose of the threaded hole on the top of the non-FSB rail. Anyone care to enlighten me?
View Quote

I think it’s for mounting a 203 sight.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:45:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scott-S6] [#4]
Originally Posted By m1afan1000:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By m1afan1000:

Originally Posted By pezboytate:
SOPMOD M203 leaf sight.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138579/_20200513_211925_JPG-1844713.JPG

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By NeedsMoreMausers:

Also, are colt patent ambi mag releases kosher/ever seen in the wild?
View Quote

Norgon ambi mag releases have been, idk where the colt patent came from as they are the same thing?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:51:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By LsuJon:

Norgon ambi mag releases have been, idk where the colt patent came from as they are the same thing?
View Quote

Whoops I think I did mean the Norgon. I think the Norgon's were used for OEM colt parts sometimes? Just wasnt sure if they were appropriate for a block II

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By NeedsMoreMausers:

Whoops I think I did mean the Norgon. I think the Norgon's were used for OEM colt parts sometimes? Just wasnt sure if they were appropriate for a block II

Thanks!
View Quote
Probably. But pretty common to see on MARSOC rifles.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:35:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RobM937] [#9]
Here's what I've put together after collecting parts over the past 3 years.

Colt M4 complete lower
Colt H2 buffer
B5 Sopmod (cage code)
Colt cage code upper receiver
Colt "C" marked BCG
DD RIS II
Colt M4 14.5" SOCOM barrel
Surefire 3P FH p/w by John Thomas @ Retro Arms Works
Geissele SSA-E trigger
TangoDown Stubby VFG
KAC micro rear (200-600m) & front sights
PRI Gas Buster CH
EOTech EXPS-3
BFG Coyote sling with BFG rail mount

Zeroed this gun the other day, and it was definitely a soft shooter. I am guessing the weight of the DD RIS II helps. Adding a Surefire m600 down the road.

Huge shout out to John Thomas for his work on the assembly and the pin/weld job. I highly recommend his work to anyone looking to get a pin/weld job done. Pic posted below to see how great of a job he does.

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:23:11 AM EDT
[#10]
whats BFG sling ?
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:37:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By BSOG1:
whats BFG sling ?
View Quote

Blue Force Gear
Vickers Slings
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:12:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mdavis] [#12]
For those in the know, were the MRDS used on the Elcans (Insight, Docter, etc.) generally the 3.5 MOA versions or the larger 7.0 MOA versions? I am just curious which size would be considered "clone correct". Note that even if the smaller MOA versions are correct, I may still go with the higher MOA because my eyes are starting to suck.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#13]

I’ve got to ask about tripods.

In the pictures I’ve seen they LOOK like basic camera tripods with an adapter to lock into a rail.  In the back of my brain there’s a voice saying “it can’t be that simple.”

Does a normal tripod put up with this, or are these special, more rugged tripods?  I’ve seen several different types of adapters in photos, but I’ve never seen them advertised - where do you find them?

I know it’s only very peripheral to the SOPMOD subject, but they show up often enough that “I gots ta know.”
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By GHPorter:

I’ve got to ask about tripods.

In the pictures I’ve seen they LOOK like basic camera tripods with an adapter to lock into a rail.  In the back of my brain there’s a voice saying “it can’t be that simple.”

Does a normal tripod put up with this, or are these special, more rugged tripods?  I’ve seen several different types of adapters in photos, but I’ve never seen them advertised - where do you find them?

I know it’s only very peripheral to the SOPMOD subject, but they show up often enough that “I gots ta know.”
View Quote

Don’t know about those in particular but I have a bog deathgrip and works very good for me
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Just need a mk12 GB to finish rebuilding my upper so if anyone has a lead on one let me know.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 10:55:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By RobM937:
Here's what I've put together after collecting parts over the past 3 years.

Colt M4 complete lower
Colt H2 buffer
B5 Sopmod (cage code)
Colt cage code upper receiver
Colt "C" marked BCG
DD RIS II
Colt M4 14.5" Socom barrel
Surefire 3P FH p/w by John Thomas @ Retro Arms Works
Geissele SSA-E trigger
TangoDown Stubby VFG
KAC micro rear (200-600m) & front sights
PRI Gas Buster CH
EOTech EXPS-3
BFG Coyote sling with BFG rail mount

Zeroed this gun the other day, and it was definitely a soft shooter. Adding a Surefire m600 down the road.

Huge shout out to John Thomas for his work on the assembly and the pin/weld job. I highly recommend his work to anyone looking to get a pin/weld job done. Pic posted below to see how great of a job he does.

https://i.ibb.co/Js5fVh6/IMG-0641.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/MkXWkXd/IMG-0642.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/yBBYz7d/IMG-0645.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/VBQhzQm/IMG-0643.jpg
View Quote

Perseverance, you have it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:
https://i.imgur.com/agKG4rb.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/24/2021 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By dempsy1:

Don’t know about those in particular but I have a bog deathgrip and works very good for me
View Quote

A local indoor range that offers lots of specialty classes - including precision rifle - posted a video about the basics of tripod shooting.
Precision Shooting | Tips for Shooting Off a Tripod

So I have a better idea now, and in particular how this applies to SOPMOD II rifles - it’s about how you stick the rail on the tripod...
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 2:55:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FastCar] [#20]
Do you guys know if:
The BCM Extractor Spring upgrade kit is needed/ clone correct?
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 4:01:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By FastCar:
Do you guys know if:
The BCM Extractor Spring upgrade kit is needed/ clone correct?
View Quote

Not needed and not correct.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 5:15:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I was looking through my parts I’ve gathered for future builds, would a Colt AF with a A1 tear drop forward assist be ok or is it to early for the SOPMOD?
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Anybody here actually use the Surefire pressure pad slotted into the full size TD fore grips? Curious how it works in practical shooting. I’m picking up an M600 soon and torn between that and the pressure pad on the 12 o clock rail position.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By mstennes:
I was looking through my parts I’ve gathered for future builds, would a Colt AF with a A1 tear drop forward assist be ok or is it to early for the SOPMOD?
View Quote

You're good to go.  Seen several URGs with tear drop FA.  Not common but not rare.

CD
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 12:53:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mstennes] [#26]

You're good to go.  Seen several URGs with tear drop FA.  Not common but not rare.

CD
View All Quotes

CD

@Combat_Diver
Excellent, then one more question I also have a SOCOM Colt barrel, should I go FSB or non FSB, I have a non FSB DD RIS II here, but I can always sell it and get a FSB DD RIS II. I was planning a NSW REECE at one time but it never gains traction, the M4A1 just seems to my preferred go to.
Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 1:25:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#27]

@Combat_Diver
Excellent, then one more question I also have a SOCOM Colt barrel, should I go FSB or non FSB, I have a non FSB DD RIS II here, but I can always sell it and get a FSB DD RIS II. I was planning a NSW REECE at one time but it never gains traction, the M4A1 just seems to my preferred go to.
Thank you!
View Quote

Personal preference as both are used. Which is easier for you regarding parts you have. A FSB has to be removed and then reinstalled. IE DD barrel nut added and FSB reattached after RIS II secured. Non FSB requires removal of FSB, dimple bbl, additional Mk12 gas block and folding front sight

CD
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 5:06:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#29]

Personal preference as both are used. Which is easier for you regarding parts you have. A FSB has to be removed and then reinstalled. IE DD barrel nut added and FSB reattached after RIS II secured. Non FSB requires removal of FSB, dimple bbl, additional Mk12 gas block and folding front sight

CD
View All Quotes

@Combat_Diver
Thank you!

CD

@Combat_Diver

I have built both, and I have a new SOCOM Colt barrel, I even have a MK12 gas block dimpling tool so it’s 6 one way half a dozen the other way so to speak. I was just curious as after building quite a few over the years which would be the rarest but still correct setup. It’s never ending lol, after this then I need to address optics, I’m leaning on a ACOG if that’s correct? I have always had a soft spot for them. I’ve used EoTechs and Elcans. While I like the Elcans they have gotten so spendy, and then to get the correct older battery cap models it’s a hurry up and wait or pay through the nose.
Thanks again for your awesome help and knowledge!
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#30]

@Combat_Diver

I have built both, and I have a new SOCOM Colt barrel, I even have a MK12 gas block dimpling tool so it’s 6 one way half a dozen the other way so to speak. I was just curious as after building quite a few over the years which would be the rarest but still correct setup. It’s never ending lol, after this then I need to address optics, I’m leaning on a ACOG if that’s correct? I have always had a soft spot for them. I’ve used EoTechs and Elcans. While I like the Elcans they have gotten so spendy, and then to get the correct older battery cap models it’s a hurry up and wait or pay through the nose.
View Quote

Elcans were replacing ACOGs when the URG was adopted.  Some got the uppers before receiving Elcans.  If you are looking for a specific SOF unit, Army SF are the primary users of the FSB RIS II.  Other branches used the non FSB RIS II and still do.  Only USASOC ODAs got the URGI uppers.

CD
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Alrighty, just about done! All I really need now is a forward QD point, QD point for the sopmod stock, and either a TD stubby or Magpul AFG in FDE (cant decide). I will also likely be putting a FDE modlite OKW on there as well, the only thing I'm really okay deviating away from for correctness-I just love them too much.

Link Posted: 3/26/2021 1:07:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Elcans were replacing ACOGs when the URG was adopted.  Some got the uppers before receiving Elcans.  If you are looking for a specific SOF unit, Army SF are the primary users of the FSB RIS II.  Other branches used the non FSB RIS II and still do.  Only USASOC ODAs got the URGI uppers.

CD
View All Quotes

@Combat_Diver

CD

@Combat_Diver
First off thanks again! I’m not really at this point going for a specific unit issue, unit purchase or user private purchaser, I have built a number of both over the years and sold them wanting to go another way, but be correct. What this will be is one I’m planning on keeping, yet in the same breath have one that while correct, is or has been in the wild and also rarer and different if that makes sense? Sort of my last build for me, quitting on a high point.
Thanks again!
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 2:16:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By @Virginia_Shooter:
Anybody here actually use the Surefire pressure pad slotted into the full size TD fore grips? Curious how it works in practical shooting. I'm picking up an M600 soon and torn between that and the pressure pad on the 12 o clock rail position.
View Quote

I have! The convenience comes at a slight cost... It takes a good squeeze to turn the light on (the tape switch sorta balloons as it's installed) and there's not a lot of leverage in your palm or lower fingers. Worth trying but I'll take a rail mounted switch or hot button instead.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Mark 6 has brought new life into this upper. Now I just need a T2 for it.

Link Posted: 3/26/2021 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By rcfallen:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51074513167_1943eee9de_h.jpg
View Quote
Going top or offset mount?
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By rcfallen:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51074513167_1943eee9de_h.jpg
View Quote

Fill me in on the gadget your Mark 6 is looking though.  Thermal, IR, other?
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Badger Mk12 gas blocks in stock at Operation Parts.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:06:40 PM EDT
[#38]

@Combat_Diver
First off thanks again! I’m not really at this point going for a specific unit issue, unit purchase or user private purchaser, I have built a number of both over the years and sold them wanting to go another way, but be correct. What this will be is one I’m planning on keeping, yet in the same breath have one that while correct, is or has been in the wild and also rarer and different if that makes sense? Sort of my last build for me, quitting on a high point.
Thanks again!
View Quote

Rare would be to get one of the RIS II that mounts a M203.  They were never fielded as the M203 was phased out for the M320, which was used as a standalone.

CD
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:20:15 PM EDT
[#39]

Rare would be to get one of the RIS II that mounts a M203.  They were never fielded as the M203 was phased out for the M320, which was used as a standalone.

CD
View Quote
I'm confused now, did they stop producing the hangers for the 203 on RIS IIs?
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:29:19 PM EDT
[#40]
All of the RIS II rails except for the MK18 rails can mount the M203. Only MARSOC really used M203s on Block II M4s in any real numbers.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:52:02 PM EDT
[#41]
@Combat_Diver

Do all the Colt 14.5 gov profile barrels in the supply chain start out with an FSB, regardless of what they're eventually used for/built into, or do you have some gov barrels that start out stripped and haven't ever been drilled for FSB pins?
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 2:23:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:
All of the RIS II rails except for the MK18 rails can mount the M203. Only MARSOC really used M203s on Block II M4s in any real numbers.
View Quote

You are correct.  Just M203 rarely mounted thats what I meant.

CD
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 2:24:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By DiscipulusArmorum:
@Combat_Diver

Do all the Colt 14.5 gov profile barrels in the supply chain start out with an FSB, regardless of what they're eventually used for/built into, or do you have some gov barrels that start out stripped and haven't ever been drilled for FSB pins?
View Quote

As far as I know that is correct.  Crane removed the FSB and dimpled the barrel for the Mk12 gas block set screws.

CD
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 10:12:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:
Badger Mk12 gas blocks in stock at Operation Parts.
View Quote

Midway and Brownell's too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#45]
I know the TA31F has been seen on the block ii but has it been seen in any mounts besides a TA51? Is it ever issued with a QD mount on any rifle?
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 1:54:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheBrokePilot] [#46]

From IG: Toyotasofwar
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#47]
As of right now, KFarmory in Alpharetta GA
Has NT4 in FDE Available.
I have no affiliation with them.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Without going through how many pages, how can I get one of the improved DD RIS barrel nut wrenches?
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By TheBrokePilot:
Classified Defense RIS II wrench
View Quote

+1
Also check out his rail alignment vise tool makes rail installation a breeze.
Page / 913
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top